Hair Tape/glue Health Problems And Risks?

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed. As previously stated, the time I speak up, is when people claim there's no risk... Because they have not been diagnosed with an illness yet or haven't seen it on the news......

Please don't sensationalize with comments such as "you'd never get out of bed". I've never taken that posture. I've been very clear, with every post. I respect people's choices good or bad. But don't fool yourself into thinking there is not great risk associated with certain choices made. Wearing spectacles or combing your hair a different way is very different than introducing known carcinogens into one's bloodstream.

There are many people diagnosed with terminal cancer that choose continuation of smoking. It's something they enjoy, and do so knowingly..... I respect choice, but not ignorance.
The answer seems simple to me, as you said these are known carcinogens...why are companies using them? I mean surely glues can be made from safer materials such as white glue as we discussed in the past. I'm pretty sure your reply may be that they work better but even if that's what it is. Some type of human accountability must be in play. I have never used acrylic glues myself. I switched to Ghost bond right after our discussion on here, and honestly the Ghost bond I find far superior to anything I have used. Again...a better way.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
The answer seems simple to me, as you said these are known carcinogens...why are companies using them? I mean surely glues can be made from safer materials such as white glue as we discussed in the past. I'm pretty sure your reply may be that they work better but even if that's what it is. Some type of human accountability must be in play. I have never used acrylic glues myself. I switched to Ghost bond right after our discussion on here, and honestly the Ghost bond I find far superior to anything I have used. Again...a better way.
Unfortunately there's no formula that provides equal results without the suspect chemicals. Atleast, no company is willing to-do the research and development required to create one.. As previously stated, there's always risk to everything. Talcum powder has now been linked to ovarian cancer. It's taken well over 100 years to identify the cause and effect. People smoked for hundreds, even thousands, of years before the correlation with lung cancer was discovered.

Companies are in business to generate profit. Since these are cosmetic, there is really no oversite regarding safety. Another point is people's misunderstanding, of safety, when something does carry fda approved.

The fda simply takes the companies word, and study results. They don't do trials and studies themselves.

I'm glad to hear Ghost bond works well, for you. Unfortunately, for those with oily skin, the results are poor.

Last edited:

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@TooBad Isn't Isopropyl alcohol bad to use on the scalp as it can be absorbed by the skin and into the bloodstream - potentially causing issues?

If that's the case - wouldn't C22 or oil based solvents be safer to use for cleaning residue of scalp?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
@TooBad Isn't Isopropyl alcohol bad to use on the scalp as it can be absorbed by the skin and into the bloodstream - potentially causing issues?

If that's the case - wouldn't C22 or oil based solvents be safer to use for cleaning residue of scalp?
Yes, it is a harmful substance, no question. No, not a concern, because 91-99%, which is what we use, evaporates quickly, limiting the possibility of absorption.

C22 is Petrolium based, it will stay on the scalp indefinitely, until removed with a "stripping" agent... such as dish soap or alcohol.

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it is a harmful substance, no question. No, not a concern, because 91-99%, which is what we use, evaporates quickly, limiting the possibility of absorption.

C22 is Petrolium based, it will stay on the scalp indefinitely, until removed with a "stripping" agent... such as dish soap or alcohol.
Ah right okay - but 70% is what is recommended to use on skin as it is more effective against bacteria. So is that actually more of a concern in terms of absorption since it doesn't evaporate as quick.

Wouldn't shampoo get C22 off the scalp?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah right okay - but 70% is what is recommended to use on skin as it is more effective against bacteria. So is that actually more of a concern in terms of absorption since it doesn't evaporate as quick.

Wouldn't shampoo get C22 off the scalp?

You're correct, in your statement, if the objective is regarding use as an anticeptic for aerobic bacteria. However, that's not relevant to this application. :)

We're not using it to thwart infection, it's purpose it to remove adhesives, oils, and contaminants...... Which is why 91 to 99% is preferable, and also evaporates more quickly... significantly lowering the chance of absorption...

I'm sure certain shampoos would. I don't see the point in using something, that would nessistate using something else to remove it. The less steps, the better..... Needing a remover to remove a remover is silly .

Last edited:

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would really like to know the exact components of tapes. Not only the glue, but also the tape itself because of the known endocrine disrupting properties of plastic materials. Wouldn't want to grow boobs or become infertile, although, higher estrogen levels might help with hairloss :p. Using tape would make my life so much easier, but I have never done it because of the hiding of ingredient information.
Do you reckon the use of tape could increase estrogen levels? I've been wearing hair system for about 2 years and always used tape. Recently realised I may have some form of gynecomastia potentially caused from this? Or might well be I've just added a few pounds.

Robrover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Again, I can only state my experience over 40 years of wearing. Tapes, glues, solvents including those bought from hardware stores, have not caused any adverse health issues that I know of, and a recent health check up and blood test have been 100% ok. Of course everyones body chemistry is different, maybe I've just got good genes, I don't know (both my parentss lived into their 90s). But if you're really worried about potential health implications, use clips or, in the case of a full cap an elastic sided wig.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Again, I can only state my experience over 40 years of wearing. Tapes, glues, solvents including those bought from hardware stores, have not caused any adverse health issues that I know of, and a recent health check up and blood test have been 100% ok. Of course everyones body chemistry is different, maybe I've just got good genes, I don't know (both my parentss lived into their 90s). But if you're really worried about potential health implications, use clips or, in the case of a full cap an elastic sided wig.
Or wear a hat, preferably undyed cotton or wool.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I appreciate your experience, what adhesives and base types have you used the whole time?

Robrover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tried various brands over the years including hard bond when I was with AHS to start with (avoid these). Most of the big name soft glues and lots of different tapes, most of which HD and Debbie sell.
For last few years Walkers tapes which I can get here from Hairaustralia.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Keep in mind ....your recent check up probably consisted of a cbc, metabolic and lipid panels.....
None of which check for chemical toxicity or cancer markers....So, ultimately useless In this instance...and certainly not confirmation that everything's ok.... Laboratories don't "investigate" your blood for problems.... they run specific panels for the tests ordered, nothing more.

Last edited:

Robrover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, you can be paranoid about developing any condiition if you try hard enough - cancer, covid, heart disease, diabetes. Fact is I don't have any of these right now; who knows I may get something in the future, so may all the rest of us. And after 40 years of wearing hair, I doubt that will be the sudden cause of any life threatening ailment.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, you can be paranoid about developing any condiition if you try hard enough - cancer, covid, heart disease, diabetes. Fact is I don't have any of these right now; who knows I may get something in the future, so may all the rest of us. And after 40 years of wearing hair, I doubt that will be the sudden cause of any life threatening ailment.
I think using words like paranoid and I'm good now, is sensationalizing.

Again, if you haven't been specifically checked for a specific condition, you cannot say you are free of disease, because you had a standard "well check up"

Coming from my background, I enjoy discussing this with those that have concerns.

Respectfully, ignorance is not a clean bill of health, nor does being educated equate to paranoia. Being cognizant is completely different than fear.
Cancer doesn't develop in 5 minutes, nor does it show symptoms Until you're at a late stage, when it's unable to be remediated. Many people smoke 40 years plus, before developing a lung cancer which was ultimately caused by smoking.

When people make comments, such as yours.... 40 years with chemicals and I don't have any problems.

To me that's like saying: I've been drinking and driving for day for 40 years, and I'm fine.

Meanwhile, an accident is around the corner and you have cirrhosis..... But without a CT you'd never know until your end stage....

Last edited:

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don’t bother debating with him. He’s devoid of common sense, and will just go in circles, spewing the same BS over and over. You’ll extract more intellect from a wall.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don’t bother debating with him. He’s devoid of common sense, and will just go in circles, spewing the same BS over and over. You’ll extract more intellect from a wall.
Double board certified oncologist, devoid of "common" sense? My knowledge, regarding this topic is expert. You're a clown... Enjoy celebrating your ignorance

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
yeah right
You're right... Everyone is just like you. There's no doctors, no attorneys, no astronauts. Just ignorant simpletons like yourself. :)
I see you live in fairyland ..

I don't talk in circles, I'll repeat myself because the truth never changes. Simpletons, like yourself, grasp at different things, all the time, simply to have something childish and insulting to say....because they lack fact....

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're right... Everyone is just like you. There's no doctors, no attorneys, no astronauts. Just ignorant simpletons like yourself. :)
I see you live in fairyland too...

I don't talk in circles, I'll repeat myself because the truth never changes. Simpletons, like yourself, grasp at different things, all the time, simply to have something childish and insulting to say....because they have no fact....
If you are going to call someone a simpleton, at least use proper grammar.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are going to call someone a simpleton, at least use proper grammar.
See, that's called deflection. Thanks for proving my point.

I'll be sure to petition, to have my medical degrees and licensure revoked, on these grounds.
Is there something imparticular I should point out, or simply "poor grammar on a hairloss forum" will do?
You define simpleton... Ignorant and gullible.
Not sure how grammar relates to the definition :)

Last edited: