Hair Multiplication Update:Histogen!

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
Oknow said:
If Histogen get past phase 2; which they are currently undergoing now, then they have a good chance on winning the race.

Furthermore, unlike previous products, HSC has been tested and grows hair on the actual human scalp, as opposed to mice. So yes it does work, but it needs to be optimized, which is the whole point of the phase 2 trials.
Any idea how long this phase 2 is typically taking?

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Vox said:
Oknow said:
If Histogen get past phase 2; which they are currently undergoing now, then they have a good chance on winning the race.

Furthermore, unlike previous products, HSC has been tested and grows hair on the actual human scalp, as opposed to mice. So yes it does work, but it needs to be optimized, which is the whole point of the phase 2 trials.

http://www.histogen.com/applications/cl ... status.htm

For your reference.

Secondly, they had just finished phase 1, so I would expect it will take 6-12 months.

The next clinical trial of HSC is currently in planning stages, and is scheduled to begin in Singapore in early 2011, with plans for pan-Asian approval in 2014. Estimated U.S. market introduction of the injectable for hair regrowth in the treatment of male pattern baldness is 2015, with potential for earlier introduction in certain identified countries.

This is on their web site. Bare in mind, they have just won a court case, so things should speed up now.

Histogen Wins Patent Ruling
SAN DIEGO, June 2, 2011 - Histogen, Inc., a regenerative medicine company developing solutions based on the products of cells grown under simulated embryonic conditions, today announced that it won a key ruling from the United States District Court for the Southern District of California in the patent lawsuit that SkinMedica, Inc. filed against Histogen in 2009. In this hearing, known as a "Markman hearing", both sides presented evidence and arguments to the court on how they requested that the disputed terms be interpreted.
In the ruling issued on May 24, 2011, the court addressed the meaning of disputed terms in United States Patent Nos. 6,372,494 (titled "Method of making conditioned cell culture medium compositions") and 7,118,746 (titled "Conditioned cell culture medium compositions and methods of use"). The court interpreted the terms in both of the patents-in-suit as excluding cells grown on microcarrier beads. Histogen grows cells in suspension on microcarrier beads to produce its products, which the federal court has confirmed is outside the scope of the claims of the patents in the lawsuit.
With this result, Histogen has prevailed on the key claim interpretation relevant to the lawsuit filed by SkinMedica. This important ruling should lead to the trial court's dismissal of the patent infringement allegations against Histogen.
"The Order supports what we have believed since Histogen's inception, which is that Histogen's methods and products are unique, and that our technology for culturing cells on microcarrier beads is free from any patent rights that SkinMedica may have," said Dr. Gail K. Naughton, Histogen CEO and Chairman of the Board. "It will allow us to raise the additional capital to continue the development of our lead therapeutic products, and will re-start partnership discussions, all of which have been slowed by this litigation since January 2009."
The federal court in San Diego issued the order following a two day evidentiary hearing on February 15-16, 2011, where the court determined the meaning of disputed claim terms in the patents being asserted in the case. A copy of the Markman Order is available upon request.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oknow said:
Vox said:
Oknow said:

http://www.histogen.com/applications/cl ... status.htm

For your reference.

Secondly, they had just finished phase 1, so I would expect it will take 6-12 months.

The next clinical trial of HSC is currently in planning stages, and is scheduled to begin in Singapore in early 2011, with plans for pan-Asian approval in 2014. Estimated U.S. market introduction of the injectable for hair regrowth in the treatment of male pattern baldness is 2015, with potential for earlier introduction in certain identified countries.

This is on their web site. Bare in mind, they have just won a court case, so things should speed up now.

[quote:zym75bpi]
Histogen Wins Patent Ruling
SAN DIEGO, June 2, 2011 - Histogen, Inc., a regenerative medicine company developing solutions based on the products of cells grown under simulated embryonic conditions, today announced that it won a key ruling from the United States District Court for the Southern District of California in the patent lawsuit that SkinMedica, Inc. filed against Histogen in 2009. In this hearing, known as a "Markman hearing", both sides presented evidence and arguments to the court on how they requested that the disputed terms be interpreted.
In the ruling issued on May 24, 2011, the court addressed the meaning of disputed terms in United States Patent Nos. 6,372,494 (titled "Method of making conditioned cell culture medium compositions") and 7,118,746 (titled "Conditioned cell culture medium compositions and methods of use"). The court interpreted the terms in both of the patents-in-suit as excluding cells grown on microcarrier beads. Histogen grows cells in suspension on microcarrier beads to produce its products, which the federal court has confirmed is outside the scope of the claims of the patents in the lawsuit.
With this result, Histogen has prevailed on the key claim interpretation relevant to the lawsuit filed by SkinMedica. This important ruling should lead to the trial court's dismissal of the patent infringement allegations against Histogen.
"The Order supports what we have believed since Histogen's inception, which is that Histogen's methods and products are unique, and that our technology for culturing cells on microcarrier beads is free from any patent rights that SkinMedica may have," said Dr. Gail K. Naughton, Histogen CEO and Chairman of the Board. "It will allow us to raise the additional capital to continue the development of our lead therapeutic products, and will re-start partnership discussions, all of which have been slowed by this litigation since January 2009."
The federal court in San Diego issued the order following a two day evidentiary hearing on February 15-16, 2011, where the court determined the meaning of disputed claim terms in the patents being asserted in the case. A copy of the Markman Order is available upon request.
[/quote:zym75bpi]

I read about their successful court battle, this is amazing news for ALL of us. I'm getting really excited about all this. Only a little bit longer and we'll all be getting the full benefits.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Mojo Risin said:
Don't get too excited.
They're not even as far as Intercytex was before going bankrupt.

Reading the wiki article on them, they went belly up due to the recession. Things have gotten much better now with the economy and are only going to get better. Every recession we've ever had, history has shown that we *always* come out of it.

I very much doubt Histogen will have the same fate as Intercytex.

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
hellouser said:
Things have gotten much better now with the economy and are only going to get better.
You are assuming too much here.

hellouser said:
Every recession we've ever had, history has shown that we *always* come out of it.
Should I bring to memory the recession of the 30's and how humanity came out of it?

But anyway, I digress. It does not hurt to hear the voice of the optimist.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
hellouser said:
Mojo Risin said:
Don't get too excited.

Reading the wiki article on them, they went belly up due to the recession. Things have gotten much better now with the economy and are only going to get better. Every recession we've ever had, history has shown that we *always* come out of it.

I think people fail to realise, if Histogen were going to fold, it would have been during their court case. And I believe dudemon predicted this....thank god it didn't come to fruit.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Vox said:
hellouser said:
Things have gotten much better now with the economy and are only going to get better.
You are assuming too much here.

I look at the numbers and overall economy today compared to what it was a few years ago. Generally speaking, we're doing much better.

hellouser said:
Every recession we've ever had, history has shown that we *always* come out of it.
Should I bring to memory the recession of the 30's and how humanity came out of it?

WWII was not caused due to the great depression (in fact, if anything, WWII benefited the great depression). Either way, we came out of it, as well as all recessions.

I very much doubt a complete collapse is going to happen anytime soon.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
dudemon said:
Oknow said:
hellouser said:

I think people fail to realise, if Histogen were going to fold, it would have been during their court case. And I believe dudemon predicted this....thank god it didn't come to fruit.

Even though they won the court case (for now) it could still bring them to a grinding halt. The lawsuit(s) have merely subsided ... for the moment.

Just wait... I bet we haven't heard the last of court cases, especially if they actually do come out with a real product that is highly valuable in the marketplace. You can bet the house on it!

:whistle:

I wonder if investors would be willing to put in their cash into the company knowing the massive potential success Histogen could achieve. Unless they have a large number of them already....??

Mojo Risin

Reaction score
Intercytex had ''potential'' too.
Even if they had all the money in the world, it would not speed up the clinical trials ... it has to be done correctly and it takes time. You can't buy time.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Mojo Risin said:
Intercytex had ''potential'' too.
Even if they had all the money in the world, it would not speed up the clinical trials ... it has to be done correctly and it takes time. You can't buy time.

I'm fine with the wait times for clinical trials, thats not an issue to me. I'm just far more optimistic about the company actually pulling through all the way to the end.

Still, I'm most hopeful about RepliCell, especially since theyre in my country, makes it all the easier to be among the first for restoring my hair.

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
hellouser said:
Still, I'm most hopeful about RepliCell, especially since theyre in my country, makes it all the easier to be among the first for restoring my hair.
How much of your hair have you already lost?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Vox said:
hellouser said:
How much of your hair have you already lost?

Its more or less like Jude Law's widows peak, but not as bad and its thinning pretty much everywhere up top. My forehead is starting to look real big and when my hair is styled it looks the first signs of balding as skin is visible.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
dudemon said:
Oknow said:
hellouser said:
Don't get too excited.

Even though they won the court case (for now) it could still bring them to a grinding halt. The lawsuit(s) have merely subsided ... for the moment.

Just wait... I bet we haven't heard the last of court cases, especially if they actually do come out with a real product that is highly valuable in the marketplace. You can bet the house on it!

:whistle:[/quote]

Yeah but you can say that with every innovative product.

Lazik, lazer for hair removal, but thats not the case.

Mojo Risin

Reaction score
Eh ... new update from Histogen website.

Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society (TERMIS)
Asia Pacific Annual Meeting
August 3-5, 2011
Singapore
Dr. Gail Naughton to present "Human Tissue Engineered Soluble ECM Stimulates Hair growth While Inhibiting Cancer Cells"

That's ... today.

ComeOnPropy

Established Member
Reaction score
TERMIS Asia Pacific Meeting 2011

Schedule > TERMIS-AP 2011 > 3 August, Wednesday > 1100-1230 Concurrent Sessions and Symposia 1 > Session 1.2 Biomaterials I
Updated in 7/28/2011 3:24:52 PM Viewed: 19 times (Proceedings)
Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society Aisa Pacific Meeting 2011
Human Tissue Engineered Soluble ECM Stimulates Hair Growth While Inhibiting Cancer Cells
GK Naughton
ABSTRACT
Research has shown the importance of Wnt 7a, follistatin, and wound healing growth factors on the stimulation of bulge cells and inter-follicular stem cells to induce hair growth. We have developed a bioengineered human cell-derived formulation, termed Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC), consisting of such growth factors and morphogens. These factors are secreted neonatal fibroblasts seeded on microcarrier beads grown in suspension cultures under hypoxic conditions simulating the embryonic environment. Under these conditions over 5000 genes are differentially expressed as compared to normoxia and follicular stem cell surface markers are expressed, including LnX2, SOX 21, Nestin, NFATc1, and Krt 15.Following preclinical safety and efficacy studies in the C57Bl model, a clinical pilot study was undertaken. The double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized single site trial was primarily designed to evaluate safety of the HSC product with efficacy being the secondary goal. Data analysis indicated that HSC is safe and showed effectiveness in stimulating hair growth in subjects with male-pattern baldness. All subjects tolerated the procedures well and no adverse reactions were reported. The improvements from HSC treatment were significantly greater than that observed in placebo treated sites: hair shaft thickness (6.3% + 2.5% vs. -0.63% + 2.1%; p = 0.046), thickness density (12.8% + 4.5% vs. -0.2% + 2.9%; p = 0.028), and terminal hair density (20.6 + 4.9% vs. 4.4 + 4.9%; p = 0.029). Similar trends were seen at 52 wk, with total number of hairs increasing on the HSC-treated site. In addition, cancer lines have been “reprogrammedâ€￾ by co-culture with embryonic ECM. Research with our embryonic-like soluble ECM has demonstrated its ability to diminish or eliminate tumor load in over 20 cancer cell lines, including melanoma, adenocarcinoma, colon cancer, glioma, mesothelioma, and prostate cancer, both in vitro and in two animal models. In the tumor chorioallantoic membrane (tumcam) model hECM significantly inhibited tumor growth with tumor mass being reduced in weight by up to 80%. In subcutaneous mouse experiments, tumor growth was also inhibited from 70-90% among the same cancer cell lines. The inhibitory affect is selective for malignant cells. Whereas most cancer therapies target rapidly dividing cells and not cancer stem cell, hECM has been shown to target both cell types through the upregulation of Caspase 9 which forces the cells into apoptosis.

tonyj

Established Member
Reaction score
Not only does it stimulate hair growth but you also get a "cure" for cancer?

Maybe just a little over the top PR for Histogen.

On the other hand, if the therapy works to reduce cancer in humans, then this therapy needs to get into the market as soon as possible.

My sense of paranoia just overwhelms me at times. I just don't see how this therapy would make it into a market that generates profits for Big Pharma, a market that requires the sick and dying to maintain a constant source of revenue.

Maybe just to cynical and pessimistic.

StartingToRecede

Reaction score
will hair multiplaction work if you have a mild case of alopecia areata? assuming MOST of your donor hair is in tact?

my case is just a mild case where i get the occasional hair loss the size of a quarter which grows back via cortisteroid injection.