• Yes

Votes: 76 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 111 59.4%

• Total voters

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
hair transplants are only good for people with mild patterned alopecia. For example hairliciously
Yeah and likewise look at Matt Dominance on youtube. After 2 procedures his hair was looking awful on top and he was out of grafts, but he got lucky that he was a great finasteride responder and it brought his crown back. Whenever his finasteride results go he's probably fucked.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not just bad cases, it's just people with NW5+ work. The textbook example could be Melvin from HTN. The guy has an absolutely amazing hairline/mid section, but his crown looks like he's balding if he doesn't use concealer. Most people consider him a success story.
Well what's worse, having a bit of thinness on the crown, or being horseshoe bald?

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well what's worse, having a bit of thinness on the crown, or being horseshoe bald?
I personally will be shaving my head 100% when/if my crown is visibly thin, right now I just have deep temple recession. I personally prefer the 0 guard shave then the appearance of visibly thin hair but I realize that this isn't for everyone, especially on a hairloss forum.

So I guess the answer for me is that it's the same thing.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
I personally will be shaving my head 100% when/if my crown is visibly thin, right now I just have deep temple recession. I personally prefer the 0 guard shave then the appearance of visibly thin hair but I realize that this isn't for everyone, especially on a hairloss forum.

So I guess the answer for me is that it's the same thing.
Buzzed horseshoe and buzzed mostly full head of hair are quite different though. And I also just don't understand why someone would shave their head due to only mild hair loss. But that's up to each their own.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Buzzed horseshoe and buzzed mostly full head of hair are quite different though. And I also just don't understand why someone would shave their head due to only mild hair loss. But that's up to each their own.
Well it wouldn't be mild hairloss if my crown went in addition to what I have now, it would be like NW3A / 4 lol, but to me crown loss is just the end of the line. Hairline recession is like a staple of being a male. Even guys who are known for their hair like Di Caprio, Hemsworth or Depp are in the NW1.5-2 realm. Crown loss is just balding, always.
If you're really concerned about density then Zarev seems to be the man, even for high Norwood's.

But everything will depend on your donor. If you're fcked there then transplants aren't for you.
Except Zarev's results are all in perfect conditions after I'm sure they've positioned the hair accordingly. He seems top line for sure but I question whether those results would hold up on a sunny and mildly windy day.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have your beard hairs transplanted into the crown.
That's my entire problem with transplants. It's never really "get it done and move on", is it? Worrying about grafts available, scheduling surgeries years down the line, worrying about your hair loss progressing anyways, going searching for body hair and SMP to fill in the crown etc etc. You never really get cured of anything, just continue the same burden years down the road. Hair is great and I like having it, but bald dudes who accept it get that entire burden lifted and get to focus on other things.

That's why I don't actually consider it a cure.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think we will sooner see baldness as a new fashion style than see a cure.

Joking aside, here is an illustration of how slow the process can be. When I turned 18 (twenty years ago) I was obsessed with laser hair removal. I am as hairy as a beast. At the time, technology did exist to remove hair, and was already in use, but it took it about 10 years for it become efficacious and affordable.

When evidence and reputable scientists tell you that creating new follicles has not been figured out yet, and is far from reaching a clinical phase, I am not sure how one can expect this to happen in 10 years. Imagine all the hurdles one has to go through. We did not even start talking about follicles growing and not cycling (dying) and growing in wrong direction, looking funny, etc.

However, there are two things that I expect that we would see significant progress on:

One, is the *cure* for young folks who are willing to go an anti-androgen. Topical therapies are advancing rapidly in that area (including from China). Some people, me included, would steer away from this. Especially if you are already bald-ish.

Second, there will likely see some advances on the wound healing front (which has not been figured out yet) which is clearly promising. That in combination of pathway activation drugs, might yield something superior to minoxidil.

I think we are more likely to see forum-grown progress similar to wounding+minoxidil, than have follicle germs implanted on our heads. For one I think Follicle Guardian's experiments are more promising than Tsuji. :D

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's my entire problem with transplants. It's never really "get it done and move on", is it? Worrying about grafts available, scheduling surgeries years down the line, worrying about your hair loss progressing anyways, going searching for body hair and SMP to fill in the crown etc etc. You never really get cured of anything, just continue the same burden years down the road. Hair is great and I like having it, but bald dudes who accept it get that entire burden lifted and get to focus on other things.

That's why I don't actually consider it a cure.
Hair transplant is a finasteride/dutasteride adjunct.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
You said the treatments were adjunct. I'm saying this is only true if you didn't start finasteride/dutasteride right away, in which case youd probably not even need a transplant for a long while.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I myself with probably need 3k grafts for my temples and front hair, then a few years later another 3k grafts for my receding hair behind it... and at last maybe some beard grafts for my crown... not sure yet. It's difficult to foresee it, but me as a DPA-sufferer will probably need all I can get.

Your donor is fine, you can easily do 3-4k for your front/mid and the rest for the back.

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You said the treatments were adjunct. I'm saying this is only true if you didn't start finasteride/dutasteride right away, in which case youd probably not even need a transplant for a long while.
Depends on how you respond. Some people lose hairlines or temple points on finasteride/dutasteride but the rest of the hair maintains so hair transplant comes in play.

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my opinion we may get hair cloning in 10 years or so but it'll be too expensive for the average man to consider it a cure, and results would be similar to today's hair transplants.

A true cure (A topical antiandrogen or gene editing therapy to block DHT receptors in the scalp and stop hair loss) is still at least 10+ years away. Something such as CRISPR could work in designer babies to make them immune to hair loss but not in adults. And we only have a vague idea of which genes and sequences may be tied to hair loss and we don't even know the consequences of gene editing, so it is seen as unethical and illegal today.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Really simple rule of thumb - transplants can restore half your head. Either the front/top, or the crown. Not both.

jan_miezda

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my opinion we may get hair cloning in 10 years or so but it'll be too expensive for the average man to consider it a cure, and results would be similar to today's hair transplants.

A true cure (A topical antiandrogen or gene editing therapy to block DHT receptors in the scalp and stop hair loss) is still at least 10+ years away. Something such as CRISPR could work in designer babies to make them immune to hair loss but not in adults. And we only have a vague idea of which genes and sequences may be tied to hair loss and we don't even know the consequences of gene editing, so it is seen as unethical and illegal today.
Those AR are important for regeneration of hair follicles and signalling for hair cycling

jan_miezda

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
do you have a study on humans on this?

from my experience right now, my androgens & their activity (in theory and by symptoms - topical apalutamide, abiraterone, dutasteride) are low, yet my beard hair is probably growing faster. scalp hair progress is also there, but will take a few months to be able to definitively assess.

right now, which is too early to draw conclusions, wnt & shh seem able to replace/are responsible for what DHT does (in the simple model) on beard hair.
"he hair cycle and hair follicle structure are highly affected by various hormones. Androgens—such as testosterone (T); dihydrotestosterone (DHT); and their prohormones, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS) and androstendione (A)—are the key factors in terminal hair growth. They act on sex-specific areas of the body, converting small, straight, fair vellus hairs into larger darker terminal hairs. They bind to intracellular androgen receptors in the dermal papilla cells of the hair follicle."

i sometimes notice when men take antiandrogen, there hair become really weak and brittle. you can read further in this study and see the hormone that prevents hair growth and cause miniaturization is prolactin

using human tissue:

"During the HF transformation from growth (anagen) to apoptosis-driven regression (catagen), PRL and PRL-R immunoreactivity appear up-regulated. Treatment of organ-cultured human scalp HFs with high-dose PRL (400 ng/ml) results in a significant inhibition of hair shaft elongation and premature catagen development, along with reduced proliferation and increased apoptosis of hair bulb keratinocytes (Ki-67/terminal dUTP nick-end labeling immunohistomorphometry)."

Last edited:

jan_miezda

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
We found that different concentrations of DHT had different effects on human HFs in vitro and C57BL/6 mice. At 10-6 mol/L, DHT inhibited HF growth and β-catenin/p-GSK-3β expression, whereas 10-7 mol/L DHT induced HF growth and β-catenin/p-GSK-3β expression. In addition, a β-catenin inhibitor (21H7) inhibited HF growth in vitro, while a β-catenin activator (IM12) promoted HF growth in vitro and antagonized the inhibition of HFs by high levels of DHT. These results suggest that DHT plays a pivotal role in region-specific hair growth, which may be related to the Wnt/β-catenin pathway.

Dihydrotestosterone Regulates Hair Growth Through the Wnt/β-Catenin Pathway in C57BL/6 Mice and In Vitro Organ Culture (nih.gov)

my experience with AA's (+Wnt & Shh agonists) suggest to me that Wnt & Shh are downstream of AR, and AR is not necessary for hair development if Wnt & Shh are activated.

Shh signaling is not required for initiating hair follicle development. Shh signaling is essential, however, for controlling ingrowth and morphogenesis of the hair follicle.

Sonic hedgehog signaling is essential for hair development: Current Biology (cell.com)
in this case androgen signalling and wnt signalling are seperare transduction pathways and they have an unknown synergistic interaction. Some study have shown mutated AR causes lower levels of WNT activation (still less than basal level) so i think AR signalling is upstream with its synergy with wnt signalling. Both androgen and AR antagonists inhibit the AR input into the Wnt signaling pathway if you inhibit wnt you will prevent the ubiquitination of BC and suppress co-activation of those genes involved in the development of HF

in the wnt pathway the ubiquitonation of b catenin is what drives the growth and proliferation of cells and tissue by forming a transcriptional activator complex with other proteins (GSK etc..) this complex acts a coactivator of growth and proliferation genes (especially in regenerative organ like hair follicle). like how you quote from the study

this is why minxodil is such a great treatment even though its so difficult to pentrate intraceullary with DP cells in hair follicle. It is great for upregulating this pathway. Even the crosslink between estrogen and wnt is shown connection and i think estrogen is strong modulator of wnt expression. There are still more unknown to hairloss and minautrization

Last edited: