Good thickening styling product?

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
Need a good styling product- nothing heavy and something where I can touch my hair after it's styled. I like how crew fiber thickens it a little but it's not pliable and I can't touch my hair really after I style it.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I use this:
clay.jpg

and my hair is thin as eff. It gives it a thicker feel to it and the hold is pretty good. Doesn't leave your hair all hair either.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use this:
clay.jpg

and my hair is thin as eff. It gives it a thicker feel to it and the hold is pretty good. Doesn't leave your hair all hair either.

Do you have any real life pics after applying to your hair?

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score

No I don't have any pics, but you can look up the product on youtube or do a search on google and you will find plenty who are using the product. It is actually pretty good. I would use it over hair gel or anything like that which will make my hair completely see through.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
No I don't have any pics, but you can look up the product on youtube or do a search on google and you will find plenty who are using the product. It is actually pretty good. I would use it over hair gel or anything like that which will make my hair completely see through.

These days I am finding that applying nothing is best. It's kind of strange, before finasteride I liked wax a lot. But now when I use it, my hair looks too weird, almost fake the way it flattens with just a bit of wax. I find keeping it dry and just combing it gives me the best natural look.

I suspect this is because my hair has become thicker and tighter, hardly moves now.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I suspect this is because my hair has become thicker and tighter, hardly moves now.

Lucky you. Glad to see finasteride is working out for you. Before trying the clay above I hadn't used anything on my hair for about a decade. I like the way the stuff feels though, and you can achieve a "dry look" which helps with coverage. I will try to get decent pic and post it up. I think it looks ok. Maybe I look foolish though haha.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lucky you. Glad to see finasteride is working out for you. Before trying the clay above I hadn't used anything on my hair for about a decade. I like the way the stuff feels though, and you can achieve a "dry look" which helps with coverage. I will try to get decent pic and post it up. I think it looks ok. Maybe I look foolish though haha.

I can see the clay helping you for sure, but yeah if you want opinions a picture would be great. Same, the wax dry look is really something I like as well. Hmm I may need to try some really light kind of waxes, maybe mine is too "heavy" for me now. Just to add I had some minor crown thinning, only apparent under certain light, day to day it just looks a little thin in one area. The area feels more full now but a long way to go to fully correct it.

Yeah the hair feels like it did when I was younger than 24, before balding started.

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
I use this:
clay.jpg

Bought this and tried it. I don't find it to have a huge thickening effect myself but everyone's hair is different. The hold is just ok too.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score

This is how I style my hair using the stuff I mentioned above. Yeah I know it is not perfect, but considering I have less than 40% of my original density I would say it does a decent job with the hold.

hair3.JPG

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm actually a pretty big fan of By Vilain Dynamite Clay. It's made in Denmark but there are sellers on ebay who are located in the US. Good hold, boosts volume, matte finish and smells nice. I tend to like drier products and the Dynamite Clay is definitely that. A lot of these other products that claim to be matte are actually a bit too oily for me. This stuff can actually be used as a dry shampoo as well. I would recommend buying just a travel size first though - that way you don't waste money on a full-sized product that you may not like.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I'm actually a pretty big fan of By Vilain Dynamite Clay.

I just looked this up and may give it a try when I am done with what I am currently using. The cost is about the same, and it seems to work the same way. Same matte finish, and re-style ability. Pretty cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Your hair looks good in this pic. Very thick and healthy even at 40%.

Even when I had all of my hair it was very stringy and difficult to style. I am able to give the illusion of more hair using styling clay. Balding guys like us have to become masters in the art of illusion.

azuri

Established Member
Reaction score
Very true ...
I don't leave my bathroom these days unless every single stran of hair on my head has been precisely positioned to create that illusion.

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
I just looked this up and may give it a try when I am done with what I am currently using. The cost is about the same, and it seems to work the same way. Same matte finish, and re-style ability. Pretty cool.

I'll be curious to see if you like it. I'm about a NW3 or NW4 (without the balding crown though) and this stuff works pretty well for me. I've finally accepted that I just can't use any products that don't thicken the appearance of my hair. Other than the receding hairline and the thin strip down the middle, my hair is pretty thick though and I don't see any evidence of thinning anywhere else.

The Dynamite Clay definitely works better for me than the Pete and Pedro stuff. The hold seems to be better and the thickening effect is more pronounced as well. Plus I like that it's not the least bit oily. It's a little thicker than the Pete and Pedro clay so you have to work it into your hands a bit more before applying it to your hair, but it is by no means difficult to use. I use it in dry hair too, as that seems to work best for my hair. Everyone's hair is different though, so you have to see what works best for you. Good luck!

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Do any of you guys style your hair after applying minoxidil? There is no way in hell that I could do it, not with kirkland minoxidil at least. The liquid is way too greasy and doesn't dry or hours. The foam dries, but leaves my hair kind of stiff. My only option is to use styling products after a shower so I am unable to keep minoxidil on my head for as long as I should. How do you guys work around this?

- - - Updated - - -

Pete and Pedro lol

I like the stuff, but to be honest it is a bit expensive IMO for a styling product. The first and only clay I have used. I may experiment with other products, but I usually only style my hair once or twice a week if I go out, so it may be a while before I even need to buy something else.

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys style your hair after applying minoxidil? There is no way in hell that I could do it, not with kirkland minoxidil at least. The liquid is way too greasy and doesn't dry or hours. The foam dries, but leaves my hair kind of stiff. My only option is to use styling products after a shower so I am unable to keep minoxidil on my head for as long as I should. How do you guys work around this?

- - - Updated - - -

I like the stuff, but to be honest it is a bit expensive IMO for a styling product. The first and only clay I have used. I may experiment with other products, but I usually only style my hair once or twice a week if I go out, so it may be a while before I even need to buy something else.

I use foam in the morning, but I make sure to get as little as possible in my hair, by parting it with a comb, and applying the foam directly to the part. It's better to part your hair a few times more while applying less at a time than parting fewer times and applying a lot of foam in each part. I, however, do this in order not to waste the stuff.

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
Ya just doesn't sound like too high quality of stuff, but who knows. I'm not familiar with the hair styling market much anyway. I usually just use a good air drying technique to make my hair look as aesthetically thick as possible, but definitely have good and bad days with how visible my scalp is. My brother knows my hairloss struggle and used some of his creams to style me before and it came out okay, but it looked like I was trying to hard and showed my receding hairline even more. I would love to find a good clay that gives consistent thickening results so I don't have my good and bad days with current thinning. I'll have to pick something up and let you guys know how it goes.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I would love to find a good clay that gives consistent thickening results so I don't have my good and bad days with current thinning. I'll have to pick something up and let you guys know how it goes.

Awe dude tell me about it. You should have seen me last night. I tried to do a rush job and couldn't get it right. I had people waiting for me and everything. Finally I just said screw it and lived with it. If you do find something that gives good consistent results let us know. I really only style my hair once or twice a week so it is difficult to get good at doing it.