Good thickening styling product?

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm I used to use clay before thinning- I thought it was a little too heavy though for thinning. My hairs wavy/curly too so idk of clay is best.

I hate anything that makes it greasy/oily- I want something matte/light I can throw in there and touch it throughout the day but that will thicken it up too which is kind of an oxymoron lol

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
If you find something good, let us know. I might be having second thoughts on the stuff I am using.

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
If you find something good, let us know. I might be having second thoughts on the stuff I am using.

American crew fiber thickens it up without a doubt. I've been using it for a while but Im not sure if it's the best for wavy/curly hair since it's not pliable at all. Could be something to try for straight hair

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I may give that a shot. I like the stuff I am using now, but the hold isn't as great as I thought it was. Is the American Crew stuff easy to wash out? I have used other pomades in the past that were a pain in the *** to get out of my hair.

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
I may give that a shot. I like the stuff I am using now, but the hold isn't as great as I thought it was. Is the American Crew stuff easy to wash out? I have used other pomades in the past that were a pain in the *** to get out of my hair.

This will give you hold for sure lol. Makes your hair a little stiff but definitely thickens. It helps if you run your hands around In it after its styled and dried.

Not a pomade so not too tough to get out. It's like a thick paste

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
American crew fiber thickens it up without a doubt. I've been using it for a while but Im not sure if it's the best for wavy/curly hair since it's not pliable at all. Could be something to try for straight hair

A lot of people love Fiber, but it just doesn't work well for me. I find it a bit "lotiony", even though it's obviously very thick. It tends to be oily when I put it in. Maybe it's the lanolin in it?

I'm still digging the By Vilain Dynamite Clay so far, but I also just ordered a jar of Layrite Cement because I'm obsessed with trying new products. The Cement is also a clay that claims to thicken your hair.

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to pop in and say that I got my Layrite Cement and tried it - not impressed at all. Thickening effect was minimal at best and the hold was not good enough for me either. This will certainly not be replacing the Dynamite Clay for me.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Are you guys using styling products and minoxidil? I only use styling products once or twice a week tops. I have a feeling it may interfere with minoxidil penetrating the scalp. Not saying this is a fact, just something I think about.

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you guys using styling products and minoxidil? I only use styling products once or twice a week tops. I have a feeling it may interfere with minoxidil penetrating the scalp. Not saying this is a fact, just something I think about.

I do when I have appts for work- it can be a pain in the *** (easier when shorter) but I'm 3 months into finasteride and my crowns already improving which is helping style more hair instead of hitting my scalp

Huckfinn

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a styling clay (or similar) that is even mildly water resistant, as in staying on even after swimming?
Thanks!!

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a styling clay (or similar) that is even mildly water resistant, as in staying on even after swimming?
Thanks!!

There are tons of products you could try - Kevin Murphy Rough Rider, Evo Cassius Cushy Clay, Hanz de Fuko Claymation and Sebastian Craft Clay are just a few. Basically, you just want something that doesn't list water as the first ingredient because those tend to be water-soluble. The products I mentioned (and other ones like it) will require shampoo to get them out, and even then it may require multiple washes or a clarifying shampoo.

Runninghair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Got2b volume powder. Quick sprinkle in and its adds good volume and even holds a bit. Then use gel and set with hairspray

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Isn't that guy's hair exactly what we would all sell our grannies for before he puts anything in it anyway?

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
Isn't that guy's hair exactly what we would all sell our grannies for before he puts anything in it anyway?

Nope, not even close, both of my grandmothers are dead and he's not NW1. If you look carefully in this video and his other videos (especially his Johnny Depp pompadour tutorial) you can see he's clearly NW2. My hairline is maybe slightly better than his but it's very similar I'd say, recession is definitely present.

Don't get me wrong he still has really beautiful, healthy and relatively thick hair but let's not turn a blind eye to the fact that he and most people we might think have 'perfect' hair definitely have recession.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm still jealous... I couldn't do any of what he does with my hair.

And all of my grandparents are long gone too.... maybe not the best expression to use, but you get what I mean.

I see his hair wet and tousled and don't see scalp. That's not a problem head, for me. But you are talking about recession. His hair is thick and doesn't need any thickening as is evident when wet and drying. If you're talking about recession then we're talking about different things I guess. I'd swap hair with him in a heartbeat

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm still jealous... I couldn't do any of what he does with my hair.

And all of my grandparents are long gone too.... maybe not the best expression to use, but you get what I mean.

I see his hair wet and tousled and don't see scalp. That's not a problem head, for me. But you are talking about recession. His hair is thick and doesn't need any thickening as is evident when wet and drying. If you're talking about recession then we're talking about different things I guess. I'd swap hair with him in a heartbeat

Haha yeah I understand I was just being facetious. I totally get what you mean though, the hair he does have is of very good quality and health. I may have less recession than him but I definitely think his hair is more manageable than mine, he certainly makes styling look effortless. That being said while his thickening routine may not have much effect on him because his hair is already thick, I'd be curious to see how it would fare for say a mild diffuse thinner on this forum, someone should make a video using his routine so we can really see the true extent of its effectiveness or lack thereof.

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you serious? You're really going to post that video on a hair loss site? Probably means you dont even have hair loss, and just worrying for no reason.

Check my story thread where my pics are, you can see I've clearly lost my 17 year old hairline. Just because I'm starting to treat my hair loss early doesn't mean I don't have it at all.

That being said, take a look at that video, that guy is NW2 he just has very healthy and thick hair and he specifically mentions that this routine can help those with thin hair or thinning hair. It seems like it would be a video that is especially helpful for hair loss sufferers, isn't the appearance of thick hair what we're after?

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Haha yeah I understand I was just being facetious. I totally get what you mean though, the hair he does have is of very good quality and health. I may have less recession than him but I definitely think his hair is more manageable than mine, he certainly makes styling look effortless. That being said while his thickening routine may not have much effect on him because his hair is already thick, I'd be curious to see how it would fare for say a mild diffuse thinner on this forum, someone should make a video using his routine so we can really see the true extent of its effectiveness or lack thereof.

Wouldn't work. I have the all over diffuse, and unless I undercoat scalp with dermmatch, you would see a ton of scalp. So I would say it's more of a receding hairline than a diffuse helper. Most diffuse with product stick too much hair together and makes your hair look even thinner. I'm yet to see a product, like a thickening shampoo or a thickening mousse/gel/wax/volume spray that really works, and boy have I tried a load. They are for people who naturally have thin hair but not loss, if you see what I mean.... You have to be lucky I'd say. I've never noticed a thickening shampoo do any different a job to a normal shampoo if I'm honest?