Going Bald In Less Than A Year, Need Advice

deathdiss

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
For context, last year my hair loss hit rock bottom, it was extremely depressing was steered in the wrong direction and did not improve my hair growth at all.

Estrogen applied topically has helped a lot, although it's not the only piece of the puzzle.

Try to follow some of my recommendations, have some patience and see what happens, and with regard to minoxidil, do not use high dosages of it and definitely do not use a PG containing formula. More is not better with min, you should start low and work your way up. 2% is what I would try max. I would actually prefer doing 1% and applying 2x per day for 3 months to see where I'm at and then increase to 2% if I'm not satisfied and the sides don't manifest.

ah so you applied estriol on scalp as well? Gotta ask you something: does it affect beard growth or hinder it? I know it doesn't got systemic though.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not OP but you need your thyroid hormones checked, you sound like a classic case of hyperthyroidism.

I was hyper until about the age of 26, and prior to that I could not crack 150 pounds to save my life, I lifted and ate like a f*****g maniac and I still remained skinny, just extremely cut, but I was constantly under threat of being underweight.

It wasn't until I developed hypothyroidism, which is an inevitability for most people who are hyperthyroid, and I got on exogenous thyroid hormone that my body was able to even come close to gaining weight from lifting after I got my thyroid hormone dosage where it should be.
Forgot that part. This ALL started with perfect hair at 39/40. I was on thyroid medication because I was slightly hypo. Then they increased dose. 5-6 months later the shedding started. I went off of everything for almost a year when the shedding started at the time that was only stopping minocycline and the thyroid medication. 9 months later I was very hypo and my neck was swollen. I’m now on 125mcg T4 and 10mg T3 daily. Hair has fallen off a cliff after adding the T3. My levels are all in range now.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
ah so you applied estriol on scalp as well? Gotta ask you something: does it affect beard growth or hinder it? I know it doesn't got systemic though.

My facial hair growth has slowed down a bit, but that doesn't bother me because it was stupidly fast before then and shaving was getting to be annoying, but it has by no means killed my facial hair growth.

deathdiss

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
My facial hair growth has slowed down a bit, but that doesn't bother me because it was stupidly fast before then and shaving was getting to be annoying, but it has by no means killed my facial hair growth.

when you refer to slowing down you're only talking about the growth and not new hair follicles forming around the beard right?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I have the same f*****g hairLoss. 400 hairs a day. Diffuse. I'm thinking it's either autoimmune or thyroid
Best way to know is to photo your hair wet. If you keep seeing more scalp each week, you have diffuse thinning. If you keep looking the same each week, you are fine. Have you had your thyroid antibodies checked. Maybe your thyroid is overactive since you are so skinny.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
OP, what would be your advice to somebody who is mainly ectomorph, but some mesomorph, who has trouble gaining weight? I would really like to build some muscle and gain some weight. I am a joke. I am 6 foot and 128 pounds but have a descent frame. Should I just cram food or try to eat small constant meal through out the day?

I try to gain weight without lifting and can't, so I know if I started lifting I would need to eat even more to gain. So I feel sort of like it would not even be possible. I (guess) am tired of being a 6 foot 128 pound dude at 27 years old. Like I said, descent athletic looking frame so I don't look weirdly skinny, which at least helps.

You seem to be in really great shape, and I assume you know a lot about building muscle.

Also, I don't think it did, but just in case anything I said to you (feel free to go back and read them) came across as being mean in anyway, I did not mean for it to. As I said earlier, I know how much depression and your own mind can torment. My depression pre-dates ever thinking about hair by a number years, then the hair issue, and BDD only made it worse. I have seriously thought about ending it many times, even this week I have gave it thought. One reason I am trying to force (and I do mean force) myself to gain some muscle.Just hang in there, man.
I would keep it simple to start. Find the lifts that you like doing and keep your workouts short. Gaining weight can be tough but if you’re balanced and eating enough you should see some gains. I’m no expert, but I’ve always lifted and never spend more than 30 minutes in the gym.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Forgot that part. This ALL started with perfect hair at 39/40. I was on thyroid medication because I was slightly hypo. Then they increased dose. 5-6 months later the shedding started. I went off of everything for almost a year when the shedding started at the time that was only stopping minocycline and the thyroid medication. 9 months later I was very hypo and my neck was swollen. I’m now on 125mcg T4 and 10mg T3 daily. Hair has fallen off a cliff after adding the T3. My levels are all in range now.

You and I are like mirror opposites, myself and the rest of my mother's side of the family get absolutely -nothing- from taking t4, I suspect it's a conversion disorder, but literally every aunt and uncle and my mother was on levothyroxine and the doctor told them: "you'll feel better in a year" (which is f*****g insane because thyroid hormone shouldn't take that long to work} and every last one of them looked and felt like hell, and were left wondering why the therapy was not working.

My T4 was "normal" for a very long time and I felt like a hot bag of garbage, extreme hypo symptoms and it wasn't until I integrated the t3 did my energy levels improve.

It does not surprise me at all that you lost hair after going off thyroid medication, that's kind of crazy, you shouldn't do that, but if you're taking t3 and it's causing excessive hair shedding then either titrate down or simply return to T4 entirely.

You simply may not need t3, which is known to cause shedding in excess.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I would keep it simple to start. Find the lifts that you like doing and keep your workouts short. Gaining weight can be tough but if you’re balanced and eating enough you should see some gains. I’m no expert, but I’ve always lifted and never spend more than 30 minutes in the gym.
How do you fight food addiction? I need help with that. The epidemic fear mongering media pushed me off the wagon.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
when you refer to slowing down you're only talking about the growth and not new hair follicles forming around the beard right?

The rate of growth not follicles.

Also I've used both estriol and estradiol, and I can say conclusively, that estradiol is where its at.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it helps to figure out what you’re addicted to food wise and find a healthier alternative, you like burgers drop the bun and cheese. It’s a b**ch to get off glucose/white carbs but once your body adjusts it gets easier. It’s a tough few weeks of withdraw like symptoms. I also think the high fat, healthier fat can be far more enjoyable than the high carb. I eat a lot of red meat and even bacon. I’m no expert, I see a lot of the things out there that pro at work but are too intense and restrictive for normal people to maintain. I started drinking a lot because early on because of my hair it would stop the itching. I unfortunately have been drinking more lately. You will drop bad weight fast if you cut alcohol. Look into Keto it’s very doable with not much sacrifice.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I think it helps to figure out what you’re addicted to food wise and find a healthier alternative, you like burgers drop the bun and cheese. It’s a b**ch to get off glucose/white carbs but once your body adjusts it gets easier. It’s a tough few weeks of withdraw like symptoms. I also think the high fat, healthier fat can be far more enjoyable than the high carb. I eat a lot of red meat and even bacon. I’m no expert, I see a lot of the things out there that pro at work but are too intense and restrictive for normal people to maintain. I started drinking a lot because early on because of my hair it would stop the itching. I unfortunately have been drinking more lately. You will drop bad weight fast if you cut alcohol. Look into Keto it’s very doable with not much sacrifice.
Keto is not advisable for people with thyroid issues so I won't go that route. I do best with the Zone diet. Or a modified Paleo diet. I just have a hard time resisting pizza, Cuban, and Chinese food. I don't eat sweets so that is not an issue.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Take beta sitosterol, and it neutralizes the lipids you consume, but I would not recommend doing it all the time.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I think I just need to try to eat a bit more and actually make myself just effing lift weights and see what happens, and go from there. I've never lifted at all. It's not because I'm too lazy too put in the effort. It's something else. It's tough to explain. It's my mind. Sorry to hijack this thread. Thank you for the advice.
Don't worry about hijacking, the OP doesn't mind. Actually, he does it on occasion. I think we all do it.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m just back on feeling like sh*t and hopeless. I dropped HCG and my hair got much worse. The diffusing is a f*****g mess from where it was and even with low dose Propecia I feel terrible. I just don’t want to deal with this anymore. I enjoy nothing anymore. I’m not sure I’ll ever return to the world after this, I’m already dreading what sunlight will be like on my thin f*****g hair. My hairline had been mostly safe and that’s fucked now too.

can anyone explain why the back and sides are also thinning? I mean I have tiny thin hairs growing on the sides too.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I’m just back on feeling like sh*t and hopeless. I dropped HCG and my hair got much worse. The diffusing is a f*****g mess from where it was and even with low dose Propecia I feel terrible. I just don’t want to deal with this anymore. I enjoy nothing anymore. I’m not sure I’ll ever return to the world after this, I’m already dreading what sunlight will be like on my thin f*****g hair. My hairline had been mostly safe and that’s fucked now too.

can anyone explain why the back and sides are also thinning? I mean I have tiny thin hairs growing on the sides too.
Your hair diameter can get thinner as you age all over. You just need some hair thickening products to help make it look thicker.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

HCG can cause an increase in estrogen, so this is in part why your estrogen might be so high, you're going to have to give yourself time and your body to recover from being on that sh*t.

I'm not a fan of oral propecia and I don't think it helps in all but the most obvious cases of androgenetic alopecia.

You're going to have wait until your body adjusts to not being on a hormone secretogogue and yeah that might cause shedding.

You're taking too many conflicting things at once, and it's going to take a couple of months for your body to unfuck itself from that, lay off the oral propecia, remain with the topical however.

I expect a bit of a shed from going on min, but that's just par for the course, it will come back and be stronger than it was, you have to focus on things that will induce hair growth first, instead of trying to do a million things at once.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
This shows the back

Attachments

• F06FA48C-80B4-469D-8EBF-706E34055E88.jpeg
    F06FA48C-80B4-469D-8EBF-706E34055E88.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 93
  • F4CFA495-4388-481E-9CCA-D2292989328A.jpeg
    F4CFA495-4388-481E-9CCA-D2292989328A.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 9CC67880-7F06-4F66-BEDA-70BDF836AEE2.jpeg
    9CC67880-7F06-4F66-BEDA-70BDF836AEE2.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 94

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This shows the back

Anyone claiming that is not shedding is insane, and that is very paradoxical that you have diffuse loss going all the way down your neck.

I'm going to ask you one more time, have you in the last five months experienced anything indicative of a viral infection?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
HCG can cause an increase in estrogen, so this is in part why your estrogen might be so high, you're going to have to give yourself time and your body to recover from being on that sh*t.

I'm not a fan of oral propecia and I don't think it helps in all but the most obvious cases of androgenetic alopecia.

You're going to have wait until your body adjusts to not being on a hormone secretogogue and yeah that might cause shedding.

You're taking too many conflicting things at once, and it's going to take a couple of months for your body to unfuck itself from that, lay off the oral propecia, remain with the topical however.

I expect a bit of a shed from going on min, but that's just par for the course, it will come back and be stronger than it was, you have to focus on things that will induce hair growth first, instead of trying to do a million things at once.
So I tried to stop sh*t in October and it went from feeling hood and hair shedding but growing to this f*****g disaster. I mean I know HCG is not hood for hair but off it I got worse.