Genes Regulating Inflammation, Stress, And Fibrosis Were Massively Overexpressed In All Androgenetic Alopecia Groups

veneno

My Regimen
Reaction score
i confirm : dht is not the resason of hairloss,finasteride regrow hair by the free ratio of estrogen, the real reason is inflamation , i will make a thread once i get results

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
i confirm : dht is not the resason of hairloss,finasteride regrow hair by the free ratio of estrogen, the real reason is inflamation , i will make a thread once i get results
It would be great if all we had to do was reduce inflammation very low. My opinion is that when we sleep it’s at its lowest and as soon and we wake and start eating breads etc it jumps back up. I’ve been noticing in the mornings before 10am zero itch, then as soon as I eat my deli wrap or sandwich within a few mins I get this itch on top of my head/temple where my hair is thinning.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is a story on Finasteride:

Used by millions of men worldwide, finasteride (which is widely known as Propecia) is one of the few proven medications on the market for preventing and, in some cases, reversing hair loss.

Finasteride does this by reducing levels of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the body, the hormone that’s responsible for hair follicle miniaturization and male pattern baldness. Over time, DHT can damage your hair follicles, resulting in long-term hair loss.

All of the hairs you lose due to male pattern baldness are affected by DHT. The exceptions are the hair follicles on the sides and back of your head (the “horseshoe” baldness pattern), which tend to be more resistant to DHT than the ones around the front, top and crown.

Since finasteride works by reducing total DHT levels, it should logically prevent you from losing hair around your hairline.

However, the prescribing information for finasteride mostly focuses on its ability to prevent hair loss on the crown and top of the head. In this guide, we’ll look at the science behind finasteride and explain how and why it’s also an effective treatment for stopping a receding hairline.

Receding Hairlines and DHT: The Science
Finasteride works by inhibiting the production of 5α-Reductase, an enzyme that converts your body’s testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (more commonly known as DHT).

DHT is the primary hormone that causes hair loss in men. Some men are more sensitive to DHT than others, which is why not everyone begins to lose their hair at the same time, or at the same speed.

Hair loss can start at the hairline, at the crown or on top of the head. The area in which you start to lose hair is determined by your genetics -- in some men, the hair around their hairline are the most sensitive to DHT, while in others, the area around the crown starts to thin first.

Finasteride isn’t selective when it comes to blocking DHT. Instead of affecting a specific part of your scalp or blocking a specific type of hair loss, it will block DHT at its source. This means that finasteride should slow or stop hair loss and potentially regrow some hair regardless of your specific balding pattern.

Scientific studies tend to back this up. One study from 1999 found that finasteride “slowed hair loss and increased hair growth” in men with frontal scalp thinning (in short, men with hair loss around their hairline).

Over the course of one year of continuous treatment with 1mg of finasteride per day (the typical finasteride dose for hair loss prevention), study participants showed a significant increase in hair count in the frontal scalp. These results continued in the second year of finasteride use.

Finasteride is also scientifically proven to prevent hair loss at the vertex scalp (the area on top of your head, slightly behind your hairline), making it a potential option if you’d like to stop hair loss around your hairline from worsening.

In one 1998 study, men with male pattern hair loss experienced a slowed rate of hair loss and a measurable increase in hair at the vertex scalp, with the average hair count increasing from 876 at the beginning of the study to 1,014, measured in a 1-inch diameter circular area (5.1 cm2) of balding vertex scalp, after two years of finasteride usage at 1mg per day.

Can Finasteride Stop a Receding Hairline and Regrow Hair?
Everyone is different, so this question is a tough one to answer. As a general rule, the best way to think of finasteride is as a form of protection against further hair loss, not as a way to regrow hair that you’ve already lost.

However, study data does show that finasteride can regrow hair. 83% of finasteride users stop losing hair as a result of using the medication, while about 65% of men regrew some hair as a result of taking finasteride. The amount of regrowth men experience varies and is unpredictable.

Now, does this mean that finasteride will completely restore your receding hairline? Probably not, especially if you’ve had a receding hairline for some time and have gone completely bald. However, it could result in some level of regrowth in areas where you’ve only recently started to notice thinning and recession. This is why doing something about your hair loss while still have some hair is so important.

Prevention Is Much More Effective Than Denial
Finasteride, like minoxidil, was approved for use as a hair loss prevention medication primarily through tests on the scalp and crown. This is why it’s a little tough to find information on how it can prevent hair loss around the hairline.

However, both scientific data and a mountain of anecdotal evidence shows that finasteride can and often does produce improvements to the hairline, ranging from regrowth to a slowdown of further hair loss.

Finasteride also tends to beat other hair loss treatments in efficacy tests. For example, a study comparing finasteride to topical minoxidil found that finasteride resulted in dense hair regrowth in 80% of users, compared to 52% for minoxidil.

If you have a receding hairline, finasteride is definitely worth considering. The long-term results are legit and reliable, making it one of the most effective tools in your arsenal for preventing hair loss and improving the thickness and density of the hairline you already have.

This article was reviewed by Ho Anh, MD.

EndlessPossibilities

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
just think about how pathetic the 83% maintenance number actually is. and it's even more pathetic since a lot of people in this study would have maintained without any drug anyway
How do u know that they would’ve maintained without the drug anyways. Everyone I know who has used the drug it has halted their hairloss. Like they just rarely ever shed at least noticeably anymore. Including myself

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
but shedding is not indicative of progression of male pattern baldness. I don't shed at all, maybe 10 hairs a day but thats completely normal due to hair cycle. yet, I can tell miniaturization is still taking place and thats what people mean when they say halt hairloss, halt progression of miniaturization. ou can't tell that simply by counting hair that falls out. the way I know this is that a lot of men are not progressing in their balding all that much within a year, the period this study has been conducted. so probably like 50% of so in the placebo group maintained as well

well... yes and no. a lot of people have CTE as well as Androgenetic Alopecia, creating a devastating combination of massive shedding and miniaturization. it's crucial to check for nutritional deffiencies, thyroid function, autoimmune conditions, etc.
also, a lot of men have diffuse loss in donor areas, although not as severe as receding areas, still leads to noticeable shedding and lack of density.
if you don't shed but have very area-restricted miniaturization you would be an excellent candidate for FUE.

Uncle Butch

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not only that it raises the chance of glaucoma.

Actually, I thought that exactly the opposite was true. Aspirin has been shown to exhibit neuroprotective properties, and could potentially be a useful drug in the treatment of glaucoma.

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
well... yes and no. a lot of people have CTE as well as Androgenetic Alopecia, creating a devastating combination of massive shedding and miniaturization. it's crucial to check for nutritional deffiencies, thyroid function, autoimmune conditions, etc.
also, a lot of men have diffuse loss in donor areas, although not as severe as receding areas, still leads to noticeable shedding and lack of density.
if you don't shed but have very area-restricted miniaturization you would be an excellent candidate for FUE.
This is so true. I see a lot of cases on this site where people mention that are not responding to treatment while at the same time they are combating another condition. For example, some anti-depressant medications are known to potentially cause hair loss. It's a failure on the doctor's part if this (and other side effects) is not explained before or during prescribing the medicine. Something else I hate to see is when doctor's tell patients to start rogaine or propecia when they have Telogen Effluvium without confirming whether or not they have genetic hair loss.

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is a story on Finasteride:

Used by millions of men worldwide, finasteride (which is widely known as Propecia) is one of the few proven medications on the market for preventing and, in some cases, reversing hair loss.

Finasteride does this by reducing levels of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the body, the hormone that’s responsible for hair follicle miniaturization and male pattern baldness. Over time, DHT can damage your hair follicles, resulting in long-term hair loss.

All of the hairs you lose due to male pattern baldness are affected by DHT. The exceptions are the hair follicles on the sides and back of your head (the “horseshoe” baldness pattern), which tend to be more resistant to DHT than the ones around the front, top and crown.

Since finasteride works by reducing total DHT levels, it should logically prevent you from losing hair around your hairline.

However, the prescribing information for finasteride mostly focuses on its ability to prevent hair loss on the crown and top of the head. In this guide, we’ll look at the science behind finasteride and explain how and why it’s also an effective treatment for stopping a receding hairline.

Receding Hairlines and DHT: The Science
Finasteride works by inhibiting the production of 5α-Reductase, an enzyme that converts your body’s testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (more commonly known as DHT).

DHT is the primary hormone that causes hair loss in men. Some men are more sensitive to DHT than others, which is why not everyone begins to lose their hair at the same time, or at the same speed.

Hair loss can start at the hairline, at the crown or on top of the head. The area in which you start to lose hair is determined by your genetics -- in some men, the hair around their hairline are the most sensitive to DHT, while in others, the area around the crown starts to thin first.

Finasteride isn’t selective when it comes to blocking DHT. Instead of affecting a specific part of your scalp or blocking a specific type of hair loss, it will block DHT at its source. This means that finasteride should slow or stop hair loss and potentially regrow some hair regardless of your specific balding pattern.

Scientific studies tend to back this up. One study from 1999 found that finasteride “slowed hair loss and increased hair growth” in men with frontal scalp thinning (in short, men with hair loss around their hairline).

Over the course of one year of continuous treatment with 1mg of finasteride per day (the typical finasteride dose for hair loss prevention), study participants showed a significant increase in hair count in the frontal scalp. These results continued in the second year of finasteride use.

Finasteride is also scientifically proven to prevent hair loss at the vertex scalp (the area on top of your head, slightly behind your hairline), making it a potential option if you’d like to stop hair loss around your hairline from worsening.

In one 1998 study, men with male pattern hair loss experienced a slowed rate of hair loss and a measurable increase in hair at the vertex scalp, with the average hair count increasing from 876 at the beginning of the study to 1,014, measured in a 1-inch diameter circular area (5.1 cm2) of balding vertex scalp, after two years of finasteride usage at 1mg per day.

Can Finasteride Stop a Receding Hairline and Regrow Hair?
Everyone is different, so this question is a tough one to answer. As a general rule, the best way to think of finasteride is as a form of protection against further hair loss, not as a way to regrow hair that you’ve already lost.

However, study data does show that finasteride can regrow hair. 83% of finasteride users stop losing hair as a result of using the medication, while about 65% of men regrew some hair as a result of taking finasteride. The amount of regrowth men experience varies and is unpredictable.

Now, does this mean that finasteride will completely restore your receding hairline? Probably not, especially if you’ve had a receding hairline for some time and have gone completely bald. However, it could result in some level of regrowth in areas where you’ve only recently started to notice thinning and recession. This is why doing something about your hair loss while still have some hair is so important.

Prevention Is Much More Effective Than Denial
Finasteride, like minoxidil, was approved for use as a hair loss prevention medication primarily through tests on the scalp and crown. This is why it’s a little tough to find information on how it can prevent hair loss around the hairline.

However, both scientific data and a mountain of anecdotal evidence shows that finasteride can and often does produce improvements to the hairline, ranging from regrowth to a slowdown of further hair loss.

Finasteride also tends to beat other hair loss treatments in efficacy tests. For example, a study comparing finasteride to topical minoxidil found that finasteride resulted in dense hair regrowth in 80% of users, compared to 52% for minoxidil.

If you have a receding hairline, finasteride is definitely worth considering. The long-term results are legit and reliable, making it one of the most effective tools in your arsenal for preventing hair loss and improving the thickness and density of the hairline you already have.

This article was reviewed by Ho Anh, MD.
[...] a study comparing finasteride to topical minoxidilfound that finasteride resulted in dense hair regrowth in 80% of users, compared to 52% for minoxidil.

There is at least one study that showed that the effectiveness of minoxidil increased in users who had little to no observable scalp inflammation compared to the group with scalp inflammation. It was no small percentage either.

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
genetically predisposed hair follicles induced by extra-follicular testosterone which is metabolized to DHT by intrafollicular 5alpha-reductase

But this negates the theory that what matters is the tissue in which follicles are sitting at, not the follicles itselves. But the way I see it is that it says the balding-prone follicles have a different configuration than the hair in your occipital area.

So what the f*** makes a follicle to be genetically predisposed then? how is it any different than any other follicle?

sportsguy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I mentioned in the needling thread. I started doing Intermittent fasting years ago. I do the classic 12-8 eating window, but it can vary. Not sure it ever helped grow hair, but hair never got any worse when using it with minoxidil. Now doing it with needling and minoxidil and im getting results.

If you look online many arthritis and acne people have done fasting and it has helped their symptoms. One or two people i found said they anecdotally thought it helped with hair.

Again not saying it ever helped me regrow anything. But i think there is something for creating a healthier scalp environment and letting other treatments do their thing.

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But this negates the theory that what matters is the tissue in which follicles are sitting at, not the follicles itselves. But the way I see it is that it says the balding-prone follicles have a different configuration than the hair in your occipital area.

So what the f*** makes a follicle to be genetically predisposed then? how is it any different than any other follicle?

epigenetic programming during development could explain particular follicular susceptibility (PMID:23306311)

these are identical monozygotic twins sharing the same exact DNA initiating standard treatment

the mere fact that one was worse than the other at the beggining tells you that it's not 100% genetic.

epigenetics + environmental also have a part

ADFASDFASDF.png

Last edited:

alibaba92

My Regimen
Reaction score
epigenetic programming during development could explain particular follicular susceptibility (PMID:23306311)

these are identical monozygotic twins sharing the same exact DNA initiating standard treatment

the mere fact that one was worse than the other at the beggining tells you that it's not 100% genetic.

epigenetics + environmental also have a part

View attachment 115213

What "treatment" are this twins using ?

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

bluesuedeshoes

Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this is the best thread to bump with my situation.

Please for the love of all that is good in the world can someone help point me in the right direction to fix this goddamn scalp itch/soreness.

Nothing I have done over the past 10 years of fighting this itch has gotten rid of it.

Im just fed up with it. My hair has slowly receded over the ten years and diffused but considering how bad my itch is, im kinda surprised I have any hair left at all.

Im on finasteride (1mg daily), zix, trinov, omega 3, vit d/k2, probiotics, sandalore (though thinking of dropping it as it's perhaps making things worse) and rosemary oil. I dermaroll - 2mm every 2 weeks and started doing .25 every day but it just made the itch and tenderness worse. I just got an electronic scalp massager and it amazed me how tender my scalp was when I used it. Im doing so many things that supposedly help with inflammation and I still have it.

Those with the itch, does it get really bad after showering or putting any liquid on the scalp? Because mine is awful till it dries.

Considering none of the above has helped much, could it be something other than male pattern baldness? I went to a dermatologist a few years ago and they said it was seb derm and gave me nizoral to treat it. It's only the male pattern baldness areas that is affected though.

Would dearly appreciate any thinking that might help resolve this for me. It wakes me up at night and it's the first thing I feel in the morning. It's awful on its own but the fact that it constantly reminds me that I'm balding and look shitty is the real kick in the balls. f*** the itch and f*** male pattern baldness!

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Perhaps this is the best thread to bump with my situation.

Please for the love of all that is good in the world can someone help point me in the right direction to fix this goddamn scalp itch/soreness.

Nothing I have done over the past 10 years of fighting this itch has gotten rid of it.

Im just fed up with it. My hair has slowly receded over the ten years and diffused but considering how bad my itch is, im kinda surprised I have any hair left at all.

Im on finasteride (1mg daily), zix, trinov, omega 3, vit d/k2, probiotics, sandalore (though thinking of dropping it as it's perhaps making things worse) and rosemary oil. I dermaroll - 2mm every 2 weeks and started doing .25 every day but it just made the itch and tenderness worse. I just got an electronic scalp massager and it amazed me how tender my scalp was when I used it. Im doing so many things that supposedly help with inflammation and I still have it.

Those with the itch, does it get really bad after showering or putting any liquid on the scalp? Because mine is awful till it dries.

Considering none of the above has helped much, could it be something other than male pattern baldness? I went to a dermatologist a few years ago and they said it was seb derm and gave me nizoral to treat it. It's only the male pattern baldness areas that is affected though.

Would dearly appreciate any thinking that might help resolve this for me. It wakes me up at night and it's the first thing I feel in the morning. It's awful on its own but the fact that it constantly reminds me that I'm balding and look shitty is the real kick in the balls. f*** the itch and f*** male pattern baldness!

have you confirmed normal iron, hematocrit, hemoglobin, ferritin, levels as well as thyroid function?
some people require up to 18 months of vid D supplementation to get into normal ranges.
itch can be a symptom of CTE.

have you considered implement 1mg fina daily + 0.5mg duta weekly?

opti

Established Member
Reaction score
So the researchers in the paper also found out that many psoriasis genes were over expressed. Those genes play an essential role in the creation of keratinocytes, which is is psoriasis up regulated (normal people replenish skin in about 27 days while in psoriasis patients skin gets renewed every 3-7 days). In Androgenetic Alopecia there is also an up regulation of keratinocytes proliferation. Maybe that's why some psoriasis treatments are also good for Androgenetic Alopecia like cyclosporine or bethamethosone.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24153140/

Here is a study of a psoriasis patient regrewing hair after treatment.

Maybe something that slows down keratinocytes proliferation reduces Androgenetic Alopecia ( for example topical urea or salicylic acid)

Btw: ket and miconazol are also good for psoriasis treatment. As this inflammation theory comes up, I think that Androgenetic Alopecia scalp is very sensitive to the outside environment (bacteria, fungi). In the big 3 that may play an part as is further reduces inflammation.

Last edited:

Xenithrising

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So the researchers in the paper also found out that many psoriasis genes were over expressed. Those genes play an essential role in the creation of keratinocytes, which is is psoriasis up regulated (normal people replenish skin in about 27 days while in psoriasis patients skin gets renewed every 3-7 days). In Androgenetic Alopecia there is also an up regulation of keratinocytes proliferation. Maybe that's why some psoriasis treatments are also good for Androgenetic Alopecia like cyclosporine or bethamethosone.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24153140/

Here is a study of a psoriasis patient regrewing hair after treatment.

Maybe something that slows down keratinocytes proliferation reduces Androgenetic Alopecia ( for example topical urea or salicylic acid)

Btw: ket and miconazol are also good for psoriasis treatment. As this inflammation theory comes up, I think that Androgenetic Alopecia scalp is very sensitive to the outside environment (bacteria, fungi). In the big 3 that may play an part as is further reduces inflammation.
Interesting. I have psroasis and am balding and my derm is putting me on cyclosporine before trialling biologics within the next month or so. I can track my progress here if anyone is interested.

edit: psoriasis*

Last edited:

opti

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have psroasis and am balding and my derm is putting me on cyclosporine before trialling biologics within the next month or so. I can track my progress here if anyone is interested.
Nice! Keep us updated.

Are there any other anti fibrosis things you can use expect for maybe taurine (which I ll be using as topical in addition to oral)? I have this annoying thight scalp which is uneven, that may arise from fibrosis and infflammation .

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice! Keep us updated.

Are there any other anti fibrosis things you can use expect for maybe taurine (which I ll be using as topical in addition to oral)? I have this annoying thight scalp which is uneven, that may arise from fibrosis and infflammation .

I think curcumin with piperine exract