Genes Regulating Inflammation, Stress, And Fibrosis Were Massively Overexpressed In All Androgenetic Alopecia Groups

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like COL17A1 diminishes in Androgenetic Alopecia hair loss subjects.
COL17A1 is a collegen Type 17 protein. Maybe we can get hold of COL17A1 and make a topical with it to test.

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Abstract
In most stem cell systems, the organization of the stem cell niche and the anchoring matrix required for stem cell maintenance are largely unknown. We report here that collagen XVII (COL17A1/BP180/BPAG2), a hemidesmosomal transmembrane collagen, is highly expressed in hair follicle stem cells (HFSCs) and is required for the maintenance not only of HFSCs but also of melanocyte stem cells (MSCs), which do not express Col17a1 but directly adhere to HFSCs. Mice lacking Col17a1 show premature hair graying and hair loss. Analysis of Col17a1-null mice revealed that COL17A1 is critical for the self-renewal of HFSCs through maintaining their quiescence and immaturity, potentially explaining the mechanism underlying hair loss in human COL17A1 deficiency. Moreover, forced expression of COL17A1 in basal keratinocytes, including HFSCs, in Col17a1-null mice rescues MSCs from premature differentiation and restores TGF-β signaling, demonstrating that HFSCs function as a critical regulatory component of the MSC niche.

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The question is, does the inflammation causes higher DHT or does the DHT damaging the hair follicle causes inflammation. I think the second one because of Finasteride and anti androgens.

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
DHT binds to the hair follicle causing the inflammation. Its the inflammation that speeds up hair loss and leads to the destruction of hair follicle.

Maybe (COL17A1/BP180) protects the follicle from inflamation damage.

Last edited:

Cymro27

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The question is, does the inflammation causes higher DHT or does the DHT damaging the hair follicle causes inflammation. I think the second one because of Finasteride and anti androgens.

Could be possible that because only those cells are prone to the inflammation, dht is used as the body's way to regulate them?

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Looks like COL17A1 diminishes in Androgenetic Alopecia hair loss subjects.
COL17A1 is a collegen Type 17 protein. Maybe we can get hold of COL17A1 and make a topical with it to test.

At the same time, it is known that collagen buildup, turning into so called hard collagen, promotes fibrosis, so minoxidil works in part because it breaks this hard collagen. Balding is nature's troll job.

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DHT binds to the hair follicle causing the inflammation. Its the inflammation that speeds up hair loss and leads to the destruction of hair follicle.

Maybe (COL17A1/BP180) protects the follicle from inflamation damage.

What about high DHT men with NW0's.

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
What about high DHT men with NW0's.

I don't think DHT is the underlying cause of hair loss. I always think its inflammation either thats down to a mutated faulty hair follicle gene or multiple, or a lack of a protein that protects the the HFSC.

In Androgenetic Alopecia ,Why does COL17A1 breakdown and lead to HFSC aging and epidermal differentiation, thereby causing hair follicle miniaturization

jgray201

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Could explain why something like topical cetirizine had success in a study. It doesn't just reduce PGD2 but a number of other inflammatory mediators.

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone know on here, who could get COL17A1 through their sources? I would like to trial this for 6 months as a topical on a small area on hairline

inmyhead

Reaction score
Anyone know on here, who could get COL17A1 through their sources? I would like to trial this for 6 months as a topical on a small area on hairline
These are interesting observations. At present, it's much too simple to say that adding back collagen 17 A1 to the scalp will promote hair growth. The Collagen 17 A 1 protein is a complex protein that integrates in the cell membrane of cells and so simply injecting it is unlikely to do much. However, this study reminds us that understanding stem cell aging is likely to yield some of the most important findings to better understand hair loss. -
https://donovanmedical.com/hair-blog/col17a1#sthash.EfuR2A0N.dpuf

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
These are interesting observations. At present, it's much too simple to say that adding back collagen 17 A1 to the scalp will promote hair growth. The Collagen 17 A 1 protein is a complex protein that integrates in the cell membrane of cells and so simply injecting it is unlikely to do much. However, this study reminds us that understanding stem cell aging is likely to yield some of the most important findings to better understand hair loss. -
https://donovanmedical.com/hair-blog/col17a1#sthash.EfuR2A0N.dpuf

Guess we will never know unless we try it.
Finisteride and minoxidil were accidental hair loss drugs. still we dont know exactly how they work. Know one has developed a cure yet, it still may be found by trialling new things

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Than why should blovking DHT help.

Because its the DHT that does the damage. Inflammation comes > body then uses DHT locally as anti inflammatory and damages follicles. If you have no inflammation you're likely not losing hair the same rate, or if you have no DHT you wont lose hair either.