Gay dating with hair loss

shdrs

Reaction score
I just need to vent my story, because there's nobody in my life I talk to about my hair loss, and nobody has any clue how deeply it affects me, almost to the point of depression.

I'm a 29 year old guy who started diffuse thinning about 3 years ago, at the age of 26. I was only out for like 6 months, a very shy, skinny, pale virgin with low self esteem. The only thing I had going for me was a decent looking face, everything else was just miserable. I applied for a gym membership, started eating actual food and came outside to get some sunlight instead of playing computer games in my basement. As my confidence grew, I started going out and noticed a lot of interest from guys around me. However, I was still very shy and inexperienced and nothing much happened.

Of course, right as I start getting my life together at a very late age, I get screwed over and start losing my hair, very fast. With the comb over and a patch of hair in the front of my skull I managed to squeeze out a couple of dates and even a short relationship, before my scalp was just too visible and the whole thing was just a total mess. Together with my last bit of hair, my confidence completely disappeared, never to be seen again.
During this time I had done some research, tried minoxidil but that didn't work as my scalp was flaking and itchy to the point I'd rather wanted to be bald than endure this itch. (obviously that's not true, but it's just to express how goddamn ****ing itchy it was). Finasteride looked too scary with all the side effects and whatnot, so the only option was to lay down, curl in a ball and cry (so to speak).

I have not gotten laid in 2 years. Two ****ing years, that's a long time for a healthy 29-year old. I've done the test, installing a dating app showing a picture with a hat on, a couple months later without a hat on. The results were absolutely disgusting. I'm talking literally 10x more messages, from way better looking people.

More confidence, you say? **** confidence, in the gay community it's all about looks. Guys spend hours fixing their hair. The only way you can get away with a bald head is if you're a big dude hitting the gym. I was borderline anorexic 3 years ago, there's no way for me to ever get to that point. All I can hope for is a toned look, which does not go with a bald head. At all.

I'm actually taking finasteride for 8 months now (with no regrow either, yay me) and have an appointment with dr. Ferudini in January. I booked it in February this year. That's 11 months waiting, just for a situation checkup, not an actual surgery. Best case scenario I have a little bit of hair in 2-3 years from now in return for 15 thousand dollars. **** my life.

shookwun

Reaction score
Get a rug bro

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Stick with finasteride. for another year. You still may achieve some hair loss recover, but moreover finasteride. use can moderately improve your chances of maintaining existing hair and forestall/prevent more loss. Hopefully you caught it early enough. Good luck with Ferdudini if you decide to go the hair transplant route. He's very experienced and respected so I've learned.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I just need to vent my story, because there's nobody in my life I talk to about my hair loss, and nobody has any clue how deeply it affects me, almost to the point of depression.

I'm a 29 year old guy who started diffuse thinning about 3 years ago, at the age of 26. I was only out for like 6 months, a very shy, skinny, pale virgin with low self esteem. The only thing I had going for me was a decent looking face, everything else was just miserable. I applied for a gym membership, started eating actual food and came outside to get some sunlight instead of playing computer games in my basement. As my confidence grew, I started going out and noticed a lot of interest from guys around me. However, I was still very shy and inexperienced and nothing much happened.

Of course, right as I start getting my life together at a very late age, I get screwed over and start losing my hair, very fast. With the comb over and a patch of hair in the front of my skull I managed to squeeze out a couple of dates and even a short relationship, before my scalp was just too visible and the whole thing was just a total mess. Together with my last bit of hair, my confidence completely disappeared, never to be seen again.
During this time I had done some research, tried minoxidil but that didn't work as my scalp was flaking and itchy to the point I'd rather wanted to be bald than endure this itch. (obviously that's not true, but it's just to express how goddamn ****ing itchy it was). Finasteride looked too scary with all the side effects and whatnot, so the only option was to lay down, curl in a ball and cry (so to speak).

I have not gotten laid in 2 years. Two ****ing years, that's a long time for a healthy 29-year old. I've done the test, installing a dating app showing a picture with a hat on, a couple months later without a hat on. The results were absolutely disgusting. I'm talking literally 10x more messages, from way better looking people.

More confidence, you say? **** confidence, in the gay community it's all about looks. Guys spend hours fixing their hair. The only way you can get away with a bald head is if you're a big dude hitting the gym. I was borderline anorexic 3 years ago, there's no way for me to ever get to that point. All I can hope for is a toned look, which does not go with a bald head. At all.

I'm actually taking finasteride for 8 months now (with no regrow either, yay me) and have an appointment with dr. Ferudini in January. I booked it in February this year. That's 11 months waiting, just for a situation checkup, not an actual surgery. Best case scenario I have a little bit of hair in 2-3 years from now in return for 15 thousand dollars. **** my life.
Never thought dating would be so challenging when you are "playing for the same team". I would think it would be easy to find a "bromance" since men seem to know men better than women sometimes. I guess if you feel getting more hair moved to the front will increase your chances to get more dates than go for it. But I think most men understand that as you age, you can lose your hair and there are certainly alot of men in your age bracket losing some hair. My question to you is would you date a guy who is losing his hair?

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Finasteride looked too scary with all the side effects and whatnot, so the only option was to lay down, curl in a ball and cry (so to speak).

Another victim of the bull****. Like ID Walker said, give it at least another year. Also I would reconsider minoxidil. I totally get where you are coming from as far as the flaking and itching. I have it also. Shampoo for the most part controls the flaking and also helps with the itch too, but I still deal with it sometimes. I have had scalp issues though for years so it's nothing really new.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Was it foam or liquod minoxidil u tried.

Foam had way less itch for me

And im with dr house, im curious wud u date another bald guy?

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're in Belgium, hook up with FredTheBelgian. I can envisage a romantic French interaction with bits of Dutch thrown in :)

On a serious note I am surprised by your admission. Getting laid in the gay community seems so much easier. Literally it's like being an average girl going to the bar and having every man to choose from, except the ones who are in a relationship lol. I can see a quick fling not being an issue with bald gays but they may have higher standards in a relationship. Kind of the opposite to straight relationships. 2 years without a lay, almost heard of for gays I thought.

You have experimented with a hat and without. I think it sounds like you're wanting the "queen" looking gay guys. Well it's obvious, they would not usually go for a pretty much bald guy. It's like a bald guy trying it on with a bimbo in a club, it's not likely to go well. Plus you say you're pale, skinny and okay looking - doesn't sound like a shaved look will look great. I would say at least your getting some hair. Then it's a question of aesthetics. The gays I see doing well are "the feminine queen looking ones" or the masculine ones. Sounds like you are in no mans land and you should aim to be the latter in your position and lower expectation.

I think your right about baldites hitting the gym, it becomes even more necessary. We thought there were no gyms in Brussels from what our expert said. Hit the gym, keep a close buzz cut, healthy looking skin colour, face is unalterable. Putting on a piece is probably the easiest way to just blend in without doing all this and rely on your looks - but that's a long road too.

Last edited:

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I was watching Property Brothers the other day and they were finding/fixing up a house for the worst looking gay couple I have ever seen. Both couldn't have been older then their mid 30's with beer bellies. One had extensive chest hair coming out of his shirt. It was disgusting. They both had hair loss.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you would have read one of my hall of fame posts, you would know that it's even worse for balding gay men:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/80166-Gay-men-and-balding

I've met many people who have gay friends and you wouldn't believe their level of shallowness. Worse than the hottest bimbo as you say.

It's still worse being a straight guy. I've ended up in a gay bar once by accident with my friends many years ago. People buy you free drinks and make conversation, it's actually effortless and life on easy mode. Even a gay guy at hospital and at a coffee shop once were flirting - even if they know you're straight. Seriously doesn't compare to dating as a straight guy. Girls will only give signs and then make you do some work, these guys will literally hit on you. If you want to feel like a girl, try it out!

I have sympathy for my straight brethren dealing with girls, not so much this. The gays who really struggle in dating must have something seriously wrong with them.

- - - Updated - - -

I was watching Property Brothers the other day and they were finding/fixing up a house for the worst looking gay couple I have ever seen. Both couldn't have been older then their mid 30's with beer bellies. One had extensive chest hair coming out of his shirt. It was disgusting. They both had hair loss.

That's my point too, life on easy mode lmao.

abdo123

Reaction score
i understand you perfectly. (as a fellow gay guy) i started using Finasteride on my 18th birthday which was around 2 months ago cause of my paranoia (and minoxidil a few months before) as soon as i have seen my temples have some decent recessing (just to explain how crucial it is to have the "perfect" look in da gay community)

to the contrary i'm having some awesome results cause i started early

Hold on there bro, it's okay you got this ! (and yes i'm a virgin)

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I think the problem in dating in general is its a "beauty contest" to see who can snag the hottest person, gay or straight. We all have our types too, gay or straight. Like I mentioned earlier, from a deep level, I would think it would be so much easier to relate to a guy than a girl as he goes thru the same things like for example hair loss. The "bromance" factor is real and I think that sometimes that might cause someone to question their sexuality when they find they are connecting better to the person of the same sex.

Its very interesting that Bruce Jenner before his complete change to Caitlin said he always felt like a women trapped inside a man's body but he was only attracted to women. In our minds, we would think this makes no sense because stereotypical women are supposed to be attracted to men. Then again, isn't being gay basically a "bromance" where two guys fulfill each others sexual needs and emotional needs without having to play games like men have to do to get women. I really believe so many people are bisexual in nature but won't act upon in it as we have been brainwashed into believing its "wrong". Of course, a women and a man are needed to reproduce but now a days you can adopt and still pass on a legacy to your adopted kids. It may not be a genetic legacy but it can be a "legacy" of some sort. I am glad today, gay people don't have to live in the closet as much and now can get married. And I agree with some of you guys, I was constantly "hit" on by some really good looking guys when I was younger and I will tell you it actually was an ego booster. And because of that I always thought how much easier it would be if I "played for the same team" because guys tend to be more aggressive in dating. Its actually in our "nature" whether gay or straight to be like that. I think in a "world" were no one thought homosexuality was violating any religious beliefs or any kind of beliefs, that bisexuality would be the norm and people would be getting sexual satisfied more often with less challenges than in our current "world".

Many experts believe same sex attraction in men stems from lack of male bonding as a child. Or a very poor or abusive relationship with the father. Even more so, when a father abandons his child. Bromances are actually healthy for us. Its a way we can bond with each other and relate to each other. If you lack that as a child, it may cause you to seek it as an adult. How many times have you related better to a person of the same sex and said I wish I would find the woman version. I think in some circumstances, when a guy gets constant rejection from women all his life, he might decide to explore homosexuality as well. I know actually a few cases where all of these things have really happened. I just think these guys are bisexual and I think bisexuality is gong to be more common in the future. Caitlyn Jenner is really kind of bisexual in a sense that as a man she was heterosexual and now as a women she is a lesbian. But she would tell you she was never a man to begin with. I really think human sexuality and gender identity are very fascinating from a psychologically aspect. Its is very interesting what makes us do things that don't follow the norm.

The proof that I think we all have some level of bisexuality is how could anyone possible say a member of the same sex is good looking or handsome or hot looking. And then say, no homo. Of course, its just your bisexual nature being attracted to something you are not. I think envy sometimes confuses our minds and influences our sexuality. And gay for pay is definitely some guys way of acting out his bisexual fantasies at the same time using the excuse he is only doing it for the money. I think more teens are exploring bisexuality now than ever before because of how our society has become more accepting of it. I still don't buy the theory that being gay is totally genetic because identical twins have disproved that when one is straight and one is gay.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Many experts believe same sex attraction in men stems from lack of male bonding as a child.

IMHO this is nonsense. I had plenty of male bonding when young. But sexual attraction is a totally different ballgame.

The proof that I think we all have some level of bisexuality is how could anyone possible say a member of the same sex is good looking or handsome or hot looking. And then say, no homo. Of course, its just your bisexual nature being attracted to something you are not.
It's question of appreciating aesthetics. I appreciate nature, animals in motion. That does not mean I am sexually attracted to these things.

- - - Updated - - -

What about wigs in the gay community? Do they also subscribe to the church which says men should only look good naturally?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
IMHO this is nonsense. I had plenty of male bonding when young. But sexual attraction is a totally different ballgame.
Not following you here, are you gay? And not all attractions are sexual in nature. I think attraction equates more to energy bonding together as opposed to repelling each other. Love is supposedly a frequency of energy which is similar to positive attraction. And as far as aesthetics that is learned trait. Anything that look flawless, colorful, defined, smooth, and symmetrical is usually associated with positive aesthetics. Sexual arousal can occur when you are not attracted to something as well. Most of your behavior is a learned trait. Just like you learned its not normal to be sexual attracted to animals or nature. However, with beastiality that becomes the exception. People will have certain fetishes and some of them are totally unexplainable. We all were giving a sexual organ,(if you are born normal) and with that we have learned to find sexual pleasure even with something we are not attracted to so why does that happen? Why are some women repulsed by a balding head? Why are most men repulsed by fat women?

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not following you here, are you gay? And not all attractions are sexual in nature. I think attraction equates more to energy bonding together as opposed to repelling each other. Love is supposedly a frequency of energy which is similar to positive attraction. And as far as aesthetics that is learned trait. Anything that look flawless, colorful, defined, smooth, and symmetrical is usually associated with positive aesthetics. Sexual arousal can occur when you are not attracted to something as well. Most of your behavior is a learned trait. Just like you learned its not normal to be sexual attracted to animals or nature. However, with beastiality that becomes the exception. People will have certain fetishes and some of them are totally unexplainable. We all were giving a sexual organ,(if you are born normal) and with that we have learned to find sexual pleasure even with something we are not attracted to so why does that happen? Why are some women repulsed by a balding head? Why are most men repulsed by fat women?
evolution

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
They say that we all sit on a sexuality spectrum and that some can be more gay/straight than others.

Like imagine this:

Gay----------------------------Bi-sexual----------------------------Straight
As you can imagine you can sit anywhere on this spectrum and in between, for example ^, you could be more attracted to the same sex than you realise.
I think it's whether you choose to explore these feelings or not.

They say usually you can never be 100% gay or 100% straight.

People seem to get really sensitive about this segment, even the gays lol.
I don't know why anyone expect anything different from the gay/straight scene, its all about attraction. No one is going to date a monster/ugly person.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hey DoctorHouse, I just want to make sure. Are you saying that many people are programmed to be bi-sexual, but because of fear of what society would say, they don't admit it?
I would not use the word programmed. According to Fraud, if we drew a line from being totally straight to totally homosexual, most would fall in between and he implied it meant bisexuality. I am going by that definition and thought process. Most probably won't agree. According to psychologist, if you experiment with the same sex, your are just bicurious. Don't know if bicurious and bisexual are interchangeable. Sexuality is very complex. Every wonder why many male models or extremely good looking men who have perfect genetics(to improve their chances to reproduce) would rather be with a man than women when they are genetically gifted. Makes absolutely no sense to women and to me its makes absolutely no sense either. Like I said, human sexuality is fascinating. In many cases I have questioned men who are gay and I find the same answers that stem from fact that they were deprived some type of male bonding, were rejected by women, abandoned father, molested, or drug addiction. Supposedly, the Greeks were among the first to engage in homosexuality as a norm.
Sometimes, I wonder if the feeling of envy towards someone of the same sex is just really some sort of bisexual attraction in our brain or maybe its learned. Don't know for sure. I will go back to the example before, how can two identical twins of the same exact genetic make up have different sexualities? Please explain how that is possible?

LOL after I just posted this, the post above knew exactly what I learned with his drawing.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
most evidence points to homosexuality being inborn. i don't like to quote news articles but this is a good one as it cites A LOT of academic sources http://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/dec/01/homosexuality-genetics-usa

here's another good news article. better since its a scientific magazine. http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/...s-may-confirm-x-chromosome-link-homosexuality

http://www.livescience.com/50058-being-gay-not-a-choice.html

the articles themselves point out that the studies are a bit weak (as they use older kinds of genetic analysis)
it's still being studied though so who knows what direction the research will take.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Okay. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm not sure if they fall right in the middle, I'm pretty sure most fall more towards attraction for the opposite sex.

Also, lots of guy friends do bromance, it's just funny. I wouldn't think that would mean they may be bisexual. I literally have a bromance relationship with every single one of my bros. Just say stuff like "Damn look at you! Looking hella cute today Bruh!" Bros do that.

Gay guys literally will say the same stuff as your bros will, but lots of straight men get uncomfortable because they know the gay guy has sexual attraction for him. It's the way you say it.

Yeah, I don't know how a person chooses his sexuality. There's the debate, are gay people born gay? Or do they choose to be gay? I honestly don't know. I always thought it was the way you were raised, but I know guys who were the manliest people you will ever meet, but then shockingly came out of the closet. So I'm just clueless on how someone determines their sexuality.
Back in my day, bromances did not exist. It would be considered gay if you told some guy he was looking cute. Like I said before, people are out of the closet more now than ever. So people tend to feel more comfortable to explore their bicuriousity especially if they had a few drinks in them. Guys who do gay for pay are definitely open to bromances.