Garnier Fructis

VWdude

Reaction score
FabioM said:
I wanted to open a new topic about this new gel i bought called Frutis styling gel "Hard" and there´s an 14 page thread \o/

SInce it doesn´t have alchool in it could this product be considered less agressive to the hair since it has no alchool ?

Alot of hair products, i'd say most are alcohol free.. Some say alcohol would be considered a little harsh for the hair/scalp but in moderation it probably won't hurt it either.

Tell me abou the product, i saw a commercial about it.. it comes in an aerosol and non aerosol from what I know.

FabioM

Established Member
Reaction score
I still haven´t used it because i still have another gel from another brand.

I have the non aerossol product but will try and use today to see how it feels.

I usually don´t have good memories from products "Hard" since it´s like a war with the gel to style my hair like i want lol but let´s see how it goes

VWdude

Reaction score
personally i stick to more of a fibre or pomade... somthing that will actually thicken my hair as I style it. I don't recall any gel or hairspray that can do that. gels usually give hair a wet look because they are water based, and that makes anyone with male pattern baldness look like sh*t.

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I a few months ago I noticed that my hair started thinning around the front around my 24th birthday. I currently style my hair pushed foward then spiked at the front and I use "Rewind" from Reddken. When using that I have to cover the front with Toppik and it's been doing an excellent job so far but I think it's time for a change. I am not on minoxidil or propacia or anything because I'm not sure what to do just yet.

I am growing my hair to do a spiked up blow out (gotti style) like I used to do, but I was wondering if any guys here have similar hair to mine (and style) and what hair styling products do they use that make the hair look fuller without the need of Toppik or anything else? Below is a photo of my hair that I took yesterday out of the shower. My hair is wet and pushed up without any gel or Toppik or anything.

This is actually the first time I'm letting anyone look at my hair this way since I first started to notice thinning back in october '05. Aside from the styling product reccomendation and tips to thicken my hair (if I can even do that without Toppik), I'd like to hear what u guys think what hair maintenence regimine I should get on.. (minoxidil.. ect..)..You could see the thinning in the pic but it just seems worse in person.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/angelic81/Photo27.jpg

I'm open to all input, thanks.

VWdude

Reaction score
chr1s said:
Hey guys I a few months ago I noticed that my hair started thinning around the front around my 24th birthday. I currently style my hair pushed foward then spiked at the front and I use "Rewind" from Reddken. When using that I have to cover the front with Toppik and it's been doing an excellent job so far but I think it's time for a change. I am not on minoxidil or propacia or anything because I'm not sure what to do just yet.

I am growing my hair to do a spiked up blow out (gotti style) like I used to do, but I was wondering if any guys here have similar hair to mine (and style) and what hair styling products do they use that make the hair look fuller without the need of Toppik or anything else? Below is a photo of my hair that I took yesterday out of the shower. My hair is wet and pushed up without any gel or Toppik or anything.

This is actually the first time I'm letting anyone look at my hair this way since I first started to notice thinning back in october '05. Aside from the styling product reccomendation and tips to thicken my hair (if I can even do that without Toppik), I'd like to hear what u guys think what hair maintenence regimine I should get on.. (minoxidil.. ect..)..You could see the thinning in the pic but it just seems worse in person.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/angelic81/Photo27.jpg

I'm open to all input, thanks.

Hey chris, you hair looks great! Thats pretty much how I style my hair, except I go more for the messier look. Do you have your toppik in your hair in that pic? because I can't really see thining all that much. IF hairloss has become a problem for you, then i suggest you go on propecia or proscar right away. If you don't, it will just get worse so the sooner the better.

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey VWdude thanks, I think it's maybe the lighting or the quality of the camera but it looks a bit worse than what u see in the picture. I don't have any toppik or anything but toppik really has saved my life recently. Ever since I first noticed the thinning a few months back, my hair has been shorter than this. I'm starting to let it grow out to see if I can do without any concealers with a longer hairstyle.

I gotta admit I've been browsing through this site occasionally for the past few months, but I still don't know what to do. I am the type of person who HATES to take any drugs or pills (unless they are vitamins) I won't even take tylenol. I dont know if I have male pattern baldness, I'm not sure if this is something that is diagnosed, and if it is, I assume a dermatologist can test you somehow. All I know is that I've started experiencing general thinning throughout the top of my head and it's more apparent at the front. Anyone here know of a good dermatologist in NYC?

I'm 24 and at this point of my life I'd just like to grow a little more hair in the front. I'm not sure if my situation could start rapidly deteriorating, or if this is just an age thing. The idea of becomming a minoxidil or propacia junkie doesn't sound too appealing to me especially after reading some stories here. The only alternative I see is to maybe use a styling product that will cover the thinning for now.

I would think the first step for me would be to go to a dermatologist but 1) I don't know of a good honest one 2) I don't want to get some quack whos just out to sell me pills.

Any help is appreaciated thanks.

VWdude

Reaction score
Chris, I think what you may be experiencing is diffuse thining. If left untreated it will go into the classic norwood pattern.

You should see what the derm has to say about your hair before you make any decisions...But i'd say propecia is definately and option. I know it sucks that you have to take a pill, but its either it gets worse or not! besides..taking a pill is alot better then using minoxidil. A good topical that you can use is tricomin/ac revitalize...im not a fan of minoxidil myself.

Anyways goodluck, let me know how it goes.

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey VWDude thanks for the help, I been thinking about it and I don't think I'm ready for a lifetime commitment regimine for minoxidile just yet at 24, that would be something I'd consider if I was in my mid 30's I think, or if my condition was worse.

I am opening myself more to the idea of taking a pill I still got a few questions I've found unanswered tho maybe you can help:

1) What's the difference between propacia and finasteride? I see those 2 mentioned a lot.
2) Will propacia make me grow hairs in places that I don't want? At this point I just have some slight thinning at the front and barely noticible thinning at the top. I just want to fill this area in and make my hair look how it was last year.
3) Is propacia like minoxidil where once u stop taking the pill all the hair you've grown will fall out?

Also it'd be much appreciated if you or anyone u know could reccomend a good derm in NYC. I looked in the yellowpages and couldn't find not even 1. I would much rather have a recommended derm than going "ini meenie miny moe" u know?

Thanks a lot again.

VWdude

Reaction score
chr1s said:
Hey VWDude thanks for the help, I been thinking about it and I don't think I'm ready for a lifetime commitment regimine for minoxidile just yet at 24, that would be something I'd consider if I was in my mid 30's I think, or if my condition was worse.

I am opening myself more to the idea of taking a pill I still got a few questions I've found unanswered tho maybe you can help:

1) What's the difference between propacia and finasteride? I see those 2 mentioned a lot.
2) Will propacia make me grow hairs in places that I don't want? At this point I just have some slight thinning at the front and barely noticible thinning at the top. I just want to fill this area in and make my hair look how it was last year.
3) Is propacia like minoxidil where once u stop taking the pill all the hair you've grown will fall out?

Also it'd be much appreciated if you or anyone u know could reccomend a good derm in NYC. I looked in the yellowpages and couldn't find not even 1. I would much rather have a recommended derm than going "ini meenie miny moe" u know?

Thanks a lot again.

Propecia/Proscar both have the active ingredient (Finasteride). finasteride is just short form for Finasteride. If you decide to go on propecia, you will find that it is pricey. You have an option to get proscar which is 5mg Finasteride and cut it into 4 or even 5 pieces.

Propecia = 1mg Finasteride

Proscar = 5mg Finasteride

I was just on propecia for a year, now i made the switch over to proscar to save cash...

2. Finasteride will only grow hair on your head. It works best for the crown and it does work for the frontal region too. Many people report an increase in density in the temple/frontal region as well as the crown. Remember, even if you do not see any regrowth at all and just maintenance, that is still a success.

3. You have to be consistent with propecia in order for it to work. If you stop taking propecia, you will slowly start losing your hair again.

but unlike minoxidil, it's just a pill a day...no adding messy lotions to your scalp.

Side effects are rare and usually subside during use.

best of luck brotha

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help man, how has proscar been working for u? are u satisfied overall with the results from the pills? Do you buy your proscar online? If so what site, and did u need a prescription for it?

VWdude

Reaction score
got it from an online canadian pharmacy, yep.. I needed a presription for it.
Its only because im canadian, and customs are hard on drugs coming across the border... if you live in the states you should be alright with getting finasteride without a RX.

I've only been on proscar for 3 weeks since i made the switch. Same thing, just .25 more of a dose....give or take a few milligrams.

and i' damn satisfied with my results... my hair thickened up and i halted my shitty baldness.

SUCCESS!

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this is a really old thread but can you guys tell me if the Alberto VO5 Reworkable Putty you're talking about is this stuff?

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... PLST-0-CAT

I see some people mention an "Extreme" reworkable putty but this one doesn't mention extreme in the name. Is there an extreme one that's even better than the one I linked above?