Funding Desmond to go to World Hair Congress 2014 in South Korea!

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Dr. Lauster will be there and probably presenting? Is this true? Why Tsuji lab is not on the congress? Did they get any invitation? They are one of the best in this field.
His team will be speaking, most likely an intern, doubt it will be him. Tsuji lab didn't pay the monthly membership bill of $39.99, they were not invited.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
His team will be speaking, most likely an intern, doubt it will be him. Tsuji lab didn't pay the monthly membership bill of $39.99, they were not invited.

You guys need to read my posts more often, this is the 3rd time im mentioning Lauster's work being part of the hair congress:

Dr. Roland Lauster will be present!! Presentation P82, the one about growing follicles in a bioreactor, is done by one of his PhD students Beren Atac: http://www.medbt.tu-berlin.de/menue/mitarbeiter/

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
You guys need to read my posts more often, this is the 3rd time im mentioning Lauster's work being part of the hair congress:

Well it's hard to take your posts seriously. Most of the time you're rambling none stop and when you do say something useful, you tend to talk in parabolas. Btw, I was joking about the membership fee, I thought it was pretty obvious.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you love to glorify yourself none stop about being a graphic designer. We get it, you can make shiny buttons, that is not going to help get a cure anymore than a sculptor who makes a piece of Dr. Cot. With all due respect.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well it's hard to take your posts seriously. Most of the time you're rambling none stop and when you do say something useful, you tend to talk in parabolas. Btw, I was joking about the membership fee, I thought it was pretty obvious.

Rambling, really? About what... the hair congress? Do you have me confused for someone else??

Also, you love to glorify yourself none stop about being a graphic designer. We get it, you can make shiny buttons, that is not going to help get a cure anymore than a sculptor who makes a piece of Dr. Cot. With all due respect.

So you'll pay attention to my graphic design stuff but overlook the stuff thats actually in the hair congress presentation like Dr. Lauster? I see that you took extra effort in trying to denigrate my commitment to the cause by revising your message after posting your initial response. And LO-fvcking-L @ 'making shiny buttons', I love these kinds of comments, it really goes to show how ignorant some people are... how do you think ALL other donations based campaigns run? Breast Cancer awareness has a ton of partners and the money thats been poured into their cause is insane. You think people are donating it because they were born with the knowledge of putting money into breast cancer research? No, its because a team of people got together and laid out a plan to create awareness and raise money through all means possible... its amazing how so many of you guys brush off an initiative like that when thats BASICALLY whats done in the end anyway; researchers get grant money or are funded by venture capitalists. But why should we wait for that to happen when we can get the ball rolling on our own much sooner? Oh, I know, its because we have a bunch of debbie downers on the forum who haven't got a clue about marketing and promotion.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
Rambling, really? About what... the hair congress? Do you have me confused for someone else??

So you'll pay attention to my graphic design stuff but overlook the stuff thats actually in the hair congress presentation like Dr. Lauster? I see that you took extra effort in trying to denigrate my commitment to the cause by revising your message after posting your initial response. And LO-fvcking-L @ 'making shiny buttons', I love these kinds of comments, it really goes to show how ignorant some people are... how do you think ALL other donations based campaigns run? Breast Cancer awareness has a ton of partners and the money thats been poured into their cause is insane. You think people are donating it because they were born with the knowledge of putting money into breast cancer research? No, its because a team of people got together and laid out a plan to create awareness and raise money through all means possible... its amazing how so many of you guys brush off an initiative like that when thats BASICALLY whats done in the end anyway; researchers get grant money or are funded by venture capitalists. But why should we wait for that to happen when we can get the ball rolling on our own much sooner? Oh, I know, its because we have a bunch of debbie downers on the forum who haven't got a clue about marketing and promotion.

That's why I said "most of the time", you have like a million posts in every forum and is usually a rant. That's why it's hard take you seriously, and I didn't specify about this thread.

Millions of dollars pour into cancer research because of what it represents, and how it affects people. It doesn't matter if the posters or website are top notch, in fact I see ****t* ones all the time for cancer, and they always get a ton of money. Class "A" designs get done for different causes and no one gives a sh*t, I am sure you know this better than anyone.

By the way, I edited my post because of typos made by my phone. But I'm sure you have it all figured out. This has nothing to do with the hair congress, just pointed something out that everyone already knew about you.

slam1523

Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to be honest... If someone is willing to take the time to do what hellhouser is doing and any others helping with this, then they have my permission to ramble as much as they want... That being said I haven't noticed any rambling, and I've always appreciated hellouser's comments

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
they already plan 2015 congress?

http://www.hair2015.org/

I'm thinking of going to that congress myself. It's in november though, which is too bad because thats a year and a half away. I have friends that live just north of Miami, so a place to stay will be rather cheap as well as the flight for me will cost around $500 from Toronto. It'd still be costly though, considering cost for entry ($600 for non-students), car rental to get to and from the venue and parking (which im sure for 4 days straight all day every day is not cheap in Miami... Chicago costs around $50 for the day!).

Wouldn't be a bad idea if a team of us went to meet with the researchers and pitch the crowdfunding idea and show them we're dead serious (mockups of materials, strategies for promotion, partnership potentials, media releases, etc). Hmmmm...

2young2retire

Experienced Member
Reaction score
interesting idea...

Hellouser do you believe according to your estimations that after this 2014 korean event we will have solid timelines with our cure product or method ?

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Hard to blow bubbles, let alone burst them, while busy holding one's breath. :shakehead: I rank next to the bottom when it comes to participating/ anticipating in this waiting game. No, no es facil.

Finco

Reaction score
Hey, so I know we're not allowed to discuss DR on here any more as I have had several posts deleted?

But I've set up a subreddit in which I was hoping we could resume the discussion around DR as what was taking place in the previous 510 page thread. It seems like some where having some pretty promising results and it seems a shame for it to be ignored just because of the ignorance of the moderators on this forum.

So you can find us over at www.reddit.com/r/dermarolling, hoping to see some of you guys there soon and spread the word!

Thanks.

danawhite1

Established Member
Reaction score
That site is made up of so much disinformation. 10% decrease in cancer deaths in ten years is so small and there are so many variables involved as to make that figure meaningless.

Still no cure in sight for breast cancer alone after billions and billions of dollars thrown at it. Also, they are still using chemo drugs from the 1960s.

Nothing on that site hints at a cure for cancer anytime in the future.

And ask yourself this. Who oversees cancer research to make sure a failed experiment from ten years ago is not being tried at a different research facility today? Anser- no one. More people make a living from cancer than die from it.

- - - Updated - - -

So the only thing needed is to get a bunch of guys from a forum to let these two researchers know that they both have one half of the puzzle and they just need to be put together for a cure? You mean to tell me these guys do this research for a living but have no idea what anyone else is doing?

Again, who has come up with anything to make vellus hairs terminal? They can't even figure that out.

doesnt minoxidil turn vellus hairs terminal? or make the vellus hairs shed and replace with terminal hair?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Something to consider about Follica that perhaps many of us haven't given much thought;

Hair transplants are largely expensive due to the time required by the doctor. Harvesting grafts is most time consuming, but implanting the grafts is tedious as well, hence the 6-12 hours it takes depending on the number of grafts required (small vs. mega-session). An 8 hour hair transplant will obviously be costly, despite the lack of complicated equipment and tools; hair transplants really aren't that complicated.

So here's where Follica comes into play that will be a potentially big relief;

1. No harvesting of grafts.
  2. No implanting of grafts.

That tedious 6+ hour timeframe isn't necessary anymore. I imagine that the wounding of the scalp will be fairly simple and injections of necessary growth factors (FGF9, WNT, etc) will be pretty quick as well.

What I'm curious about is if the amount of hair grown after wounding is dependant on the dosage of the growth factors. For example, 1mg of FGF9 grows 100 follicles.... or something like that.

I don't see the procedure as taking very long, so hopefully the pricing of their method won't be astronomical.

In fact, should their method work, this is actually potentially a much quicker process for creating hair than via stem cells; punch biopsy, culturing and multiplying cells, follicles grows than they are implanted back to the scalp. That sounds like a rather LONG process and it will requires careful and time consuming implanting of grafts.

I really hope Follica is further ahead in their trials and schedule than what it says on Puretech Venture's website. This is definitely something I would be interested in hearing about from Dr. Cotsarelis at the hair congress. Just gotta find a way where he can provide answers with some insight... i know he wont be able to spill the beans about too much info on Follica's treatment methods, BUT, if we word the questions in a specific way we could catch him off guard and get some details.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
Something to consider about Follica that perhaps many of us haven't given much thought;

Hair transplants are largely expensive due to the time required by the doctor. Harvesting grafts is most time consuming, but implanting the grafts is tedious as well, hence the 6-12 hours it takes depending on the number of grafts required (small vs. mega-session). An 8 hour hair transplant will obviously be costly, despite the lack of complicated equipment and tools; hair transplants really aren't that complicated.

So here's where Follica comes into play that will be a potentially big relief;

1. No harvesting of grafts.
  2. No implanting of grafts.

That tedious 6+ hour timeframe isn't necessary anymore. I imagine that the wounding of the scalp will be fairly simple and injections of necessary growth factors (FGF9, WNT, etc) will be pretty quick as well.

What I'm curious about is if the amount of hair grown after wounding is dependant on the dosage of the growth factors. For example, 1mg of FGF9 grows 100 follicles.... or something like that.

I don't see the procedure as taking very long, so hopefully the pricing of their method won't be astronomical.

In fact, should their method work, this is actually potentially a much quicker process for creating hair than via stem cells; punch biopsy, culturing and multiplying cells, follicles grows than they are implanted back to the scalp. That sounds like a rather LONG process and it will requires careful and time consuming implanting of grafts.

I really hope Follica is further ahead in their trials and schedule than what it says on Puretech Venture's website. This is definitely something I would be interested in hearing about from Dr. Cotsarelis at the hair congress. Just gotta find a way where he can provide answers with some insight... i know he wont be able to spill the beans about too much info on Follica's treatment methods, BUT, if we word the questions in a specific way we could catch him off guard and get some details.

Follica'a method would also give some added bonuses. It will give us the same hair colour, an maybe even thicker than normal hairs. The hairline would be the worst part, it would still need to be done by an artist's hand. This I good news for diffuse thinners as the hairline shape is already there and just need to refill it.