Follica - New Patent Published 2017 - Needling Device And Drug Applicator

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yep, even the hair god George Clooney unless he figured out how to regrow a hairline au natural...I think people would be shocked to learn how many of these guys have had work done.

View attachment 60243

View attachment 60244

I read that they actually had to shave Clooney's hairline for the role because supposedly his hairline was too low and he looked too young, so they shaved it and waxed it. Some people think he had work done on there but if you look around you'll find info on what they did to his hairline for that role.

For reference, look at George Clooney's hairline in other movies during his 109 episodes. His hairline is inconsistent, it's lower in movies, higher in ER, no matter what year it is.

The same was done for his role in Syriana, his hairline was shaved off and waxed off for the role.

Xaser94

Established Member
Reaction score
How long would this trial take? 1 year?

Well according to the initital time frame that @Noisette just posted if they had started in q1, they would have had possible regulatory clearence by q4. So logically speaking if they started now in q3, then release would be 2018 q2. But i guess their time frame to start was was in between q3 and q4 so the latest could be 2018 q3 as well. They should be releasing they're half year report soon, hopefully with more details.

Last edited:

vernon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha, while I don't think that's a good (enough) analogy, I'll respond; ''copying''. That's if you can imagine that expanding the cells taken from biopsy in a good culturing environment, without them losing much gene expression translates to ''copying'', and then implanting those into the balding areas as ''pasting''. We've certainly managed, if not mastered, the latter one would argue... :)

yeah my question was oversimplified, I dont know much about medicine so i used a basic concept to formulate it.

I know that the technical part of implanting hair is not a problem, but is there a possibility that the body would reject such hair, even if its properly cultured? if not, then I guess "copying" is the only issue.

anyway it seems like the only quality solution for hairloss in the near future to me

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
You are probably right.
It's just a device, goddamn it.
@nameless , I think you got this one wrong.

Maybe, but I'm not so sure. There are a lot of medical devices that doctor's use on patients but patients can't use on themselves. For example, powerful lasers. Another example, would be the ARTAS robo hair transplant device. ETC.

Also, keep in mind that Follica said they're working out the details of wounding at the proper depth without harming the patient, which made me think that some of the wounding is going to have significant risk and will be very specific. That made me think a doctor may do a deeper wound once with a device and the patient may do lighter wounding at-home with perhaps a different device. I'm not sure about this yet.

Last edited:

gimmiehairorgimmiedeath

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I read that they actually had to shave Clooney's hairline for the role because supposedly his hairline was too low and he looked too young, so they shaved it and waxed it. Some people think he had work done on there but if you look around you'll find info on what they did to his hairline for that role.

For reference, look at George Clooney's hairline in other movies during his 109 episodes. His hairline is inconsistent, it's lower in movies, higher in ER, no matter what year it is.

The same was done for his role in Syriana, his hairline was shaved off and waxed off for the role.

Ok this is weird, sounds like publicist created sketchiness to me but I didn't watch that show so I don't know what length his hair was in the final episodes he did in '99 but O Brother Where Art Thou released in 2000 and this is his hair, way too long to be shaving the temples then re-growing for movie roles.

zzbrother3-720.png

george-clooney-o-brother-where-art-thou-2000-BPGWKK.jpg

So then maybe he just kept the shaving routine for O brother since there wasn't time to re-grow. Except intolerable cruelty (2003) his hairline seems the same and the temples aren't as boxed off as that current pic I posted originally. I dunno I don't wanna derail the thread, maybe he has a shapeshifter hairline that can look very different.

George-Clooney-in-Intolerable-Cruelty-george-clooney-26129604-500-281.jpg

Intolerable-Cruelty-NOMAN.jpg

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The good docs don't produce a pluggy hairline, that happens when 2's and 3's get put up front instead of 1's, which give it the soft natural look. hair transplant are as much an art as a science. Besides as far as I can tell Tsuji's treatment will be the same basic thing just in unlimited quantity, they'll inject 1 hair follicles into the hairline and then 2's and 3's behind it, just like the good docs are doing today.

This is a FUT top Doctor hairline:

View attachment 60239

View attachment 60240

Yup this is the thing that a lot of people miss...when you pick a hair transplant surgeon, plastic surgeon or even a cosmetic dermatologist, cosmetic denits---you HAVE to make sure they have an artistic eye and understanding of what looks natural.
This is key difference in any of these professions good vs bad work...its good to strive for perfection--people who take pride in their work rather than an assembly line.
That attention to detail is almost priceless.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea, obviously they (Tsuji) anticipate there will be need for extensive skill set / artistry even with their method. Why would they seek to co-op with the very best surgeons then? Simple really.

At least in the beginning, they have shared their plan of collaboration with Japanese top hair-transplant docs. Later on, some kind of automatization or sharing of skill/experience once some kind of guidelines/standard have been set, will make them licence the tech to other areas of the world and other clinics of course.

There are numerous reasons for why they will tread like this (ethics, business, perfection, roll-out etc), not much unlike other new technologies in the adaption stages.

All of this if they actually succeed, which will be known pretty soon imo.

The thing is tood--Tsugi is going to be a new technology, new procedure.

Everyone should keep this in mind--it may take a few years for them to perfect this 'look' even once its approved.

This is just natural as any cosmetic procedure I can think of, give it a year or two if you can wait to see it perfected.

Same with Folica to be honest.

Some people of course cant wait and anything is better than what is going on currently but if you are a decent responder to medications I would not RUN to get these things done right out of the gate.

Christian Miller

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe, but I'm not so sure. There are a lot of medical devices that doctor's use on patients but patients can't use on themselves. For example, powerful lasers. Another example, would be the ARTAS robo hair transplant device. ETC.

Also, keep in mind that Follica said they're working out the details of wounding at the proper depth without harming the patient, which made me think that some of the wounding is going to have significant risk and will be very specific. That made me think a doctor may do a deeper wound once with a device and the patient may do lighter wounding at-home with perhaps a different device. I'm not sure about this yet.
I don't know if there's gonna be a home device, but, most definitely, it won't be something so elaborate that only specialized doctors would perform.

Omega2327

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The good docs don't produce a pluggy hairline, that happens when 2's and 3's get put up front instead of 1's, which give it the soft natural look. hair transplant are as much an art as a science. Besides as far as I can tell Tsuji's treatment will be the same basic thing just in unlimited quantity, they'll inject 1 hair follicles into the hairline and then 2's and 3's behind it, just like the good docs are doing today.

This is a FUT top Doctor hairline:

View attachment 60239

View attachment 60240
I think there is still more to it than just unlimited donor supply...
From the interview:
"Organ has been announced in this interview that they’ve not only found ways to control the exact width and color of the resulting hairs, but they can also achieve incredible density, and control the direction of hair growth. This will be a massive improvement over current techniques which can only use your existing hairs – often very mature and thick, and therefore unnatural looking along the hairline.

Being able to populate the hairline with baby-fine, lighter hairs, without any scars from the donor area, and without limitation to the density in the recipient area will be a game change for the hair transplant industry, and hair loss sufferers."

Fact of the matter is, with existing hair transplants, even when singles are used to populate the hairline and temples, these hairs can sometimes be thick and therefore look more unnatural than a finer hair would have looked. I mean sometimes it looks completely natural, like in the pictures you attached, but it all depends. But if Tsuji will be able to control the width of the follicle, then you cannot neglect the fact that that particular change would be a massive improvement to creating a more natural look.

Last edited:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

From what I gathered from the interview, collateral hairs may be damaged in the process but I am sure the wounding will be significant enough because it will have to be conducted by a doctor. I think the home device is going to have a specific topical solution you have to apply to the wound to increase your chance of regrowth. Remember, its a one day office procedure. Then you have to continue the treatment at home. I don't think they want to give you something too invasive to do at home that would risk your wound from never healing or repairing itself. I don't think this in office wounding will be a one shot deal for life. The at home device will just be something cool and technical you can use with your smart phone and at the same time will eliminate you to have to keep going back to the doctor for more office visits.

Omega2327

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing is tood--Tsugi is going to be a new technology, new procedure.

Everyone should keep this in mind--it may take a few years for them to perfect this 'look' even once its approved.

This is just natural as any cosmetic procedure I can think of, give it a year or two if you can wait to see it perfected.

Same with Folica to be honest.

Some people of course cant wait and anything is better than what is going on currently but if you are a decent responder to medications I would not RUN to get these things done right out of the gate.
This is the biggest reservation I have with potentially receiving the treatment in 2020. I am still confident the result would be good, but I really wonder how much they will be able to improve the technique as time passes and doctors are able to follow up with patients and see where they can improve, etc. Obviously hair transplant surgeons will be able to heavily leverage their previous experience but I wonder how much of a change it will be for them to switch to the primordium method. What do you guys think? @Swoop you have an opinion on this since you have some experience in the area?

gimmiehairorgimmiedeath

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think there is still more to it than just unlimited donor supply...
From the interview:
"Organ has been announced in this interview that they’ve not only found ways to control the exact width and color of the resulting hairs, but they can also achieve incredible density, and control the direction of hair growth. This will be a massive improvement over current techniques which can only use your existing hairs – often very mature and thick, and therefore unnatural looking along the hairline.

Being able to populate the hairline with baby-fine, lighter hairs, without any scars from the donor area, and without limitation to the density in the recipient area will be a game change for the hair transplant industry, and hair loss sufferers."

Fact of the matter is, with existing hair transplants, even when singles are used to populate the hairline and temples, these hairs can sometimes be thick and therefore look more unnatural than a finer hair would have looked. I mean sometimes it looks completely natural, like in the pictures you attached, but it all depends. But if Tsuji will be able to control the width of the follicle, then you cannot neglect the fact that that particular change would be a massive improvement to creating a more natural look.

yes-awesome-oldschool.gif

The real question is how many years does it take for this kind of customization to show up in the top hair transplant clinics. Also a nice thing is that current transplant guys can lower and build a new hairline whenever, actually all these upcoming treatments work well with them. What a time to be alive

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
So basically nothing new will be published until the end of 2018 and these (Shiseido+Follica) will maybe not be "The Cure". We have to wait one more year and maintain with them for Tsuji who will be our Godfather in 2020. Hope he doesn't f*** up the timeline like everyone else.

Crystalclear12

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem is the low density compared to non bald areas of a patient, especially at the scalp and middle areas.
İf someone could achieve high density it won't be a problem.
The front area should be completed with a mix of velus and single grafts. Nearly all hair transplant patients don't have the small light hairs that existed before balding. Hope they can clone them too

Well if the people gave up their vampire lifestyle and got some sun it wouldn't be an issue, lol! I get what you're saying though, the guy I highlighted looks good partly because his brown hair on tanned skin, as opposed to jet black hair on super pale skin. Really though it's cause he went to a top 5 Doctor who is great at hairline design. Even when I know that's a hair transplant and am looking critically at it, it really doesn't look like one. The average joe/jane out in the world would have no idea.

Trust me I agree they look good, untrained eye wouldn't catch it. Just not 100% natural due to that one fact. If we get unlimited grafts trust me I'll be the first in line for a hair transplant. Future hairloss just scares the sh*t of me. Balding > balding with a hair transplant and ran out of grafts

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know if there's gonna be a home device, but, most definitely, it won't be something so elaborate that only specialized doctors would perform.

I just looked over Follica's info again and it indicates it won't involve an at-home wounding device. The at-home part of the treatment is apparently for applying topical chemicals. As far as the in-office device goes, I'm not ready to comment on the degree of skill someone will have to possess to use that device on patients. I don't have enough information yet. Right now, Follica is saying that a "licenesed professional" will use that device on patients.

From what I gathered from the interview, collateral hairs may be damaged in the process but I am sure the wounding will be significant enough because it will have to be conducted by a doctor. I think the home device is going to have a specific topical solution you have to apply to the wound to increase your chance of regrowth. Remember, its a one day office procedure. Then you have to continue the treatment at home. I don't think they want to give you something too invasive to do at home that would risk your wound from never healing or repairing itself. I don't think this in office wounding will be a one shot deal for life. The at home device will just be something cool and technical you can use with your smart phone and at the same time will eliminate you to have to keep going back to the doctor for more office visits.

Dr. House thanks for the information. Did Follica specifically say a doctor will definitely have to do the in-office wounding procedure? If a doctor has to do it then that is signficant. Also, if it's so significant that a doctor has to do it then Follica may give those doctors some training.

So basically nothing new will be published until the end of 2018 and these (Shiseido+Follica) will maybe not be "The Cure". We have to wait one more year and maintain with them for Tsuji who will be our Godfather in 2020. Hope he doesn't f*** up the timeline like everyone else.

Follica and Shiseido should do more than maintain.

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Trust me I agree they look good, untrained eye wouldn't catch it. Just not 100% natural due to that one fact. If we get unlimited grafts trust me I'll be the first in line for a hair transplant. Future hairloss just scares the sh*t of me. Balding > balding with a hair transplant and ran out of grafts

Yeah I got the problem at the moment. Got a hair transplant 3 years ago and stoped losing hair then, but several problems and stress fucked my hairline in only 6 months. Around 2500 grafts are gone and I still have a good donor, but losing much more would f*** me up pretty much. Maybe I'm going to get another 500-1000 grafts treatment and try to maintain until 2020.

Taking minoxidil 5%+10 pills of Avodart in for 4 months and my scalp got better. Today I also added Devit-3 1ml (vitamin d), 12 drops of cetizirin and 3 x 5mg proscar. Also added weakly dermastamp and will add daily 50mg RU after September.

Really hope sh*t gets better till Shiseido and Tsuji, everything else always gets delayed and I'm not that confident that it will be perfect or ever be ready till 2020.

Crystalclear12

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I got the problem at the moment. Got a hair transplant 3 years ago and stoped losing hair then, but several problems and stress fucked my hairline in only 6 months. Around 2500 grafts are gone and I still have a good donor, but losing much more would f*** me up pretty much. Maybe I'm going to get another 500-1000 grafts treatment and try to maintain until 2020.

Taking minoxidil 5%+10 pills of Avodart in for 4 months and my scalp got better. Today I also added Devit-3 1ml (vitamin d), 12 drops of cetizirin and 3 x 5mg proscar. Also added weakly dermastamp and will add daily 50mg RU after September.

Really hope sh*t gets better till Shiseido and Tsuji, everything else always gets delayed and I'm not that confident that it will be perfect or ever be ready till 2020.
Did you notice a difference on dutasteride? I'm thinking about switching. I've been on finasteride for 7 years. I honestly think something will be out by 2020 that's significantly better than the treatment we have now, so just hang in there. The only problem that people overlook is that if it's released in 2020, demand will be so high we probably won't get be able to get treated until a few years later.. I jumped up to min 10% recently and shed hair along my hairline, not sure if that's good or bad but I'll try to keep u posted on that

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you notice a difference on dutasteride? I'm thinking about switching. I've been on finasteride for 7 years. I honestly think something will be out by 2020 that's significantly better than the treatment we have now, so just hang in there. The only problem that people overlook is that if it's released in 2020, demand will be so high we probably won't get be able to get treated until a few years later.. I jumped up to min 10% recently and shed hair along my hairline, not sure if that's good or bad but I'll try to keep u posted on that
Scalp was fucked up pretty much, but it got more dense again and saw some vellus or nearly lost hair coming back at the front. Never took find or dutasteride before and don't take it oral. Long time pills would kill my stomach at some point, so I take it daily as topical. Not sure if twice daily would be better, but even as daily it's worth a shot. You could see some results after 3-4 months.

Crystalclear12

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Scalp was fucked up pretty much, but it got more dense again and saw some vellus or nearly lost hair coming back at the front. Never took find or dutasteride before and don't take it oral. Long time pills would kill my stomach at some point, so I take it daily as topical. Not sure if twice daily would be better, but even as daily it's worth a shot. You could see some results after 3-4 months.
Topical dutasteride?