Follica - New Patent Published 2017 - Needling Device And Drug Applicator

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just an easy answer. The Follica procedure seems to be not too expensive once it is ready, but working only with docs and training them WOULD be expensive, so it ain't the best idea.
I think the "first" procedure at a clinic or whatever will be easier then we might think or the whole treatment could be too expensive and would flop.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just an easy answer. The Follica procedure seems to be not too expensive once it is ready, but working only with docs and training them WOULD be expensive, so it ain't the best idea.
I think the "first" procedure at a clinic or whatever will be easier then we might think or the whole treatment could be too expensive and would flop.

Where this company will make their money is the at-home regimen and device.

They obviously plan to license the wounding device to dermatologists who I doubt will need any training beyond "How To Use The Device."

Christian Miller

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where this company will make their money is the at-home regimen and device.

They obviously plan to license the wounding device to dermatologists who I doubt will need any training beyond "How To Use The Device."
You are probably right.
It's just a device, goddamn it.
@nameless , I think you got this one wrong.

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ain't a hair transplant or some serious thing like Tsuji or Shiseido, has to be easy and should spread fast and easy for big revenue.

Xander94

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair transplant and wait for tsuji I think is best solution for baldcels.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair transplant and wait for tsuji I think is best solution for baldcels.

Even Tsuji will somewhat of a hair transplant, just better on multiple fronts (unlimited hair follicles, better density etc.)

I'm sure my clinic (Dr. ********) will try to adopt such a technology as soon as possible when it's available.

I predict this is going to happen anyway. Ultimately we will able to multiply hair follicles and then all clinics/docs worldwide can start adopting this technology.

Xander94

My Regimen
Reaction score
Even Tsuji will somewhat of a hair transplant, just better on multiple fronts (unlimited hair follicles, better density etc.)

I'm sure my clinic (Dr. ********) will try to adopt such a technology as soon as possible when it's available.

I predict this is going to happen anyway. Ultimately we will able to multiply hair follicles and then all clinics/docs worldwide can start adopting this technology.
Yes but it wont have that pluggy look on the hairline

gimmiehairorgimmiedeath

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

The good docs don't produce a pluggy hairline, that happens when 2's and 3's get put up front instead of 1's, which give it the soft natural look. hair transplant are as much an art as a science. Besides as far as I can tell Tsuji's treatment will be the same basic thing just in unlimited quantity, they'll inject 1 hair follicles into the hairline and then 2's and 3's behind it, just like the good docs are doing today.

This is a FUT top Doctor hairline:

HXcN0sa.jpg

1NpcSNc.jpg

Last edited:

H

Reaction score
It's not an attack on you btw..
It's just tiring.. and I'm sure it is for all the other lurkers like me..
Can we not just have a thread for each topic with only the people who actual contribute with updates and ideas, people like noisettes.. and have a seperate one for people to argue with each other on...
It wouldn't be a thread then you always have to have 3 phases to a proper announcement thread 1st everyone cheers "hurray we are saved" somebody found something pertaining to hairloss some info that probably involves rats most the time and we all rejoice for the first 20 hours then the critiques come in "ya well it won't be out till 3000", "it'll be way too expensive for any of us", "vegetable glycerin? Really that the active ingredient?" And then someone fights with nameless about something...

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score

Not sure why you think they look pluggy. Ain't sub 2000 era anymore. hair transplant's look natural these days (if proper result of course). Even actors/models get them.

Crystalclear12

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The good docs don't produce a pluggy hairline, that happens when 2's and 3's get put up front instead of 1's, which give it the soft natural look. hair transplant are as much an art as a science. Besides as far as I can tell Tsuji's treatment will be the same basic thing just in unlimited quantity, they'll inject 1 hair follicles into the hairline and then 2's and 3's behind it, just like the good docs are doing today.

This is a FUT top Doctor hairline:

View attachment 60239

View attachment 60240
Hair transplants do look better these days, but they still don't look natural for people with high contrast between their hair and scalp, especially in natural light. The problem is a natural hairline has fine hair in the front, hair transplant hair are thick, even if they are singles. They still look good, but someone with dark hair/pale skin won't look natural IMO

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair transplants do look better these days, but they still don't look natural for people with high contrast between their hair and scalp, especially in natural light. The problem is a natural hairline has fine hair in the front, hair transplant hair are thick, even if they are singles. They still look good, but someone with dark hair/pale skin won't look natural IMO
I think the biggest problem is the low density compared to non bald areas of a patient, especially at the scalp and middle areas.
İf someone could achieve high density it won't be a problem.
The front area should be completed with a mix of velus and single grafts. Nearly all hair transplant patients don't have the small light hairs that existed before balding. Hope they can clone them too

gimmiehairorgimmiedeath

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Well if the people gave up their vampire lifestyle and got some sun it wouldn't be an issue, lol! I get what you're saying though, the guy I highlighted looks good partly because his brown hair on tanned skin, as opposed to jet black hair on super pale skin. Really though it's cause he went to a top 5 Doctor who is great at hairline design. Even when I know that's a hair transplant and am looking critically at it, it really doesn't look like one. The average joe/jane out in the world would have no idea.

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Yea, obviously they (Tsuji) anticipate there will be need for extensive skill set / artistry even with their method. Why would they seek to co-op with the very best surgeons then? Simple really.

At least in the beginning, they have shared their plan of collaboration with Japanese top hair-transplant docs. Later on, some kind of automatization or sharing of skill/experience once some kind of guidelines/standard have been set, will make them licence the tech to other areas of the world and other clinics of course.

There are numerous reasons for why they will tread like this (ethics, business, perfection, roll-out etc), not much unlike other new technologies in the adaption stages.

All of this if they actually succeed, which will be known pretty soon imo.

Xaser94

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi @Xaser94 :) Do you find some news about Follica's pivotal trials ? I don't know for sure if they have delayed or not their studies ?

And on this document of puretech health (April 2017) we can read that they have received 2 grants of patent. We have found only one of them. The other document is published on january 2017.

View attachment 60209
View attachment 60210

As of May 2017 the trial has been delayed. Look for RAIN under Q3 and Q4. So we're probably looking at a 2018 2nd half release.

upload_2017-8-6_9-47-39.png

http://puretechhealth.com/rnd-cm-day-17.php

You have to sign up but fake credentials work to view.

vernon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea, obviously they (Tsuji) anticipate there will be need for extensive skill set / artistry even with their method. Why would they seek to co-op with the very best surgeons then? Simple really.

At least in the beginning, they have shared their plan of collaboration with Japanese top hair-transplant docs. Later on, some kind of automatization or sharing of skill/experience once some kind of guidelines/standard have been set, will make them licence the tech to other areas of the world and other clinics of course.

There are numerous reasons for why they will tread like this (ethics, business, perfection, roll-out etc), not much unlike other new technologies in the adaption stages.

All of this if they actually succeed, which will be known pretty soon imo.

about the last sentence, what actually is the biggest obstacle for cloning to work? the "copying" or "pasting" part?

gimmiehairorgimmiedeath

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure why you think they look pluggy. Ain't sub 2000 era anymore. hair transplant's look natural these days (if proper result of course). Even actors/models get them.

Yep, even the hair god George Clooney unless he figured out how to regrow a hairline au natural...I think people would be shocked to learn how many of these guys have had work done.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
about the last sentence, what actually is the biggest obstacle for cloning to work? the "copying" or "pasting" part?

Haha, while I don't think that's a good (enough) analogy, I'll respond; ''copying''. That's if you can imagine that expanding the cells taken from biopsy in a good culturing environment, without them losing much gene expression translates to ''copying'', and then implanting those into the balding areas as ''pasting''. We've certainly managed, if not mastered, the latter one would argue... :)