Follica - New Patent Published 2017 - Needling Device And Drug Applicator

Christian Miller

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cotsarelis said wounding alone works great for mice because mice have adequate amounts of FGF9, which is initially secreted by gamma delta T cells. People dont have enough apparently, and so wounding alone doesnt work as well for us.
Source?

Newerah

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
tooyoung use minoxidil
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/new-dermaroller-study-thoughts-comments.69374/page-168

swing maybe yes who knows. this or dat its good sign anyway.
so i just did my 8th roll. i feel kinda dizzy although i rolled less hard than 7th and back.

i have to report i bleed even easier. i call my 8th roll a success cause after whiping and cleaning it it turned reddish as if you get punched so this clearly says that stems are being released all over.hairline commes in strong crown closes slowly the rest hair doesnt shed and is thicker . i am slightly reducing minoxidil per dosage as of tomorrow this time.

here are some pics of my today milder roll but yet a success. lol my arteries behind ears just started pumping more blood i can sense them exercising.

View attachment 59998 View attachment 59999

#33432young2retire, Dec 11, 2013
Like Dislike
Follica IS NOT this....OK? Don't worry you will see it in RAIN's treatment very soon.

Noisette

Established Member
Reaction score

Maybe this article (2013)

source: https://www.nature.com/scibx/journal/v6/n24/full/scibx.2013.590.html

upload_2017-8-3_23-29-33.png

upload_2017-8-3_23-31-49.png

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some other informations included in the patent.

[000202] In an aspect, it should be appreciated that advantages of the applicators include massaging and parting hair simultaneously while dispensing a chemical, omni-directional movement of the massage heads, a charging station acting as a light pipe and luminous display, buttonless powering, remote control and smart phone application control and monitoring, among other features. A major concern with the use of minoxidil is that it is often mostly applied to the hair rather than directly to the scalp. This is ineffective and inefficient use of the compound as minoxidil must reach the surface of the skin for optimal effect. The applicators deliver drug directly to the skin and the massage mode spreads the drug over the skin providing for more consistent and evenly distributed administration of the drug. A problem with minoxidil administration is that it is typically delivered to the hair and not the scalp. Accordingly, among other advantages, the described drug applicators provide a more effective means of applying the compound to a subject's scalp.

(...) For example, the drug applicator is capable of detecting any one or more of (a) whether a cartridge is provided by the same manufacturer of the drug applicator device or a different manufacturer, (b) what type of compound is in the cartridge, for example, a Minoxidil-5% compound for men or Minoxidil-2% compound for women, (c) how much compound is left in the cartridge, and (d) the usage history of the cartridge, for example, whether this is the first time that this cartridge has been inserted in a drug applicator device or the number of times this cartridge was previously inserted in a drug applicator device.

(...) For example, integumental perturbation can be controlled to limit perturbation to part or all of the epidermis, to part or all of the stratum corneum, or deeper into the papillary dermis, reticular dermis, and/or hypodermis. The occurrence of pinpoint bleeding would indicate removal of the stratum corneum, epidermis (or part thereof) and portions of the upper layer of the dermis, such as the superficial papillary dermis. The occurrence of increased bleeding would indicate deeper penetration (and thus perturbation) into the deeper papillary dermis and reticular dermis layer.

(...) The depth of integumental perturbation depends on the thickness of the skin at a particular treatment area. For example, the skin of the eyelid is significantly thinner than that of the scalp. The occurrence of pinpoint bleeding indicates that the epidermis and portions of the dermis have been removed. Deeper penetration can result in much more bleeding, and the perturbation can go as deep as the hypodermis.
Disruption of the papillary dermis can be detected by the appearance of small pinpoints of blood in the treated area.

(...) [000294] In some embodiments, the hair growth-promoting agent treatment comprises treatment with an antiapoptotic compound. In one embodiment, the antiapoptotic compound is not a Wnt or a Wnt agonist.

(...) [000297] In certain embodiments, the hair growth-promoting agent may be used in its commercially available form. In other embodiments, the form of the hair growth-promoting agent is adjusted to optimize a combination treatment (e.g., integumental perturbation or treatment with another active ingredient) described herein. In a particular embodiment, the hair growth-promoting agent is formulated as a different salt form than that which is commercially available. In a particular embodiment, the hair growth-promoting agent is formulated for topical administration, e.g., by incorporation into a pharmaceutical composition for post-perturbation treatment described in Section 5.2 infra

(...) In some embodiments, the hair growth-promoting agent treatment comprises treatment with a prostaglandin F2a or prostamide analog (e.g., latanoprost, bimatoprost, etc.) in combination with a channel opener (e.g., minoxidil). In one such embodiment, a prostaglandin F2a or prostamide analog is administered in combination with minoxidil.

For some time during my hairloss journey I have been fantasizing about some kind of drug applicator cap/helmet or device. The fact that probably most of the drug one applies to head is lost(absorbed) in/by the hair, renders it very ineffective and is a big part of the reason why I have found myself stuck in this sick paradox of weekly buzzing to grd1 just to keep efficacy up. I mean it's just some kind of twisted satire...but, let it grow - and lose it. So rather, I buzz it to keep it.

When thinking about it before, I never could understand why nobody cared to ''invent'' something like that. It doesn't depend on any technological advances, when in fact such drug applicator is just a good combination of good'ol engineering and design teamwork. And of course, would not need to go through such rigorous trials like pharmaceutical compounds, but the much shorter well known device-version of it. And really, it's not too much to ask for a drug-helmet that you can refill and set ml and percetage and depth in options. We have much more complex iterations of comparable tech. It's just overdue to make this kind of consumer friendly thingy...

Therefore, I'm very pleased to read this part of their patent. It makes me hopeful for the potential of topical delivery of, even, some of todays options/compounds. I believe I'm not understimating, nor are the people who wrote that paragraph which states that ''A major concern with the use of minoxidil is that it is often mostly applied to the hair rather than directly to the scalp. This is ineffective and inefficient use of the compound as minoxidil must reach the surface of the skin for optimal effect.'' This is of course true. However, I indeed hope that it lives up to the expectations and how it's described in the patent. It would imo be huge. Image the perfect delivery/efficacy of minoxidil plus RU. What about CB? Topical finasteride currently studied? What about all of the other experimental compounds where patient ''compliance'' was never really any good because of forementioned factors influencing so that results were so varying in success.

If this comes to fruitition, and it's looking like it... chances are I will be able to let my hair grow, while at the same time upping the efficacy of my topicals/regimen. Follica will certainly make serious revenue indeed, and we welcome this very much in this little niche of an industry...

@Noisette Thank you very much for this information. You are such a resource for this (sub)forum!

Nadia1972

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Christian Miller

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hellouser's one of the best posters. There's no reason to hate on him. Perhaps you have misunderstood something he said. What do you have against him?
I don't think he's intellectually adequate for the job, @nameless.
And that's no hate.
It's reality.
We need somebody cleverer and more knowledgeable.
Honestly and wholeheartedly, @hellouser, I'm not hating on you, but don't you think somebody more knowledgeable should be sent to Japan?

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
10 years of research is "dicking around" to people here.

Well while it's not quite dicking around in terms of scientists not trying, it is dicking around in an unintentional manner. By this I mean that research for hair loss is underfunded, so this leads to scientists looking like they are taking their sweet time.

In other words, it IS dicking around, but there's a good reason for it, not really the scientists fault. It's the government's fault for not taking hair loss seriously, by funding it more. Hair loss is getting dicked around by budget.

(I used "dicking" a little too much for my liking, sorry)

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does anybody know how deep this device penetrates into the skin? Needle lenght? Seems to be adjustable.

H

Reaction score
tooyoung use minoxidil
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/new-dermaroller-study-thoughts-comments.69374/page-168

swing maybe yes who knows. this or dat its good sign anyway.
so i just did my 8th roll. i feel kinda dizzy although i rolled less hard than 7th and back.

i have to report i bleed even easier. i call my 8th roll a success cause after whiping and cleaning it it turned reddish as if you get punched so this clearly says that stems are being released all over.hairline commes in strong crown closes slowly the rest hair doesnt shed and is thicker . i am slightly reducing minoxidil per dosage as of tomorrow this time.

here are some pics of my today milder roll but yet a success. lol my arteries behind ears just started pumping more blood i can sense them exercising.

View attachment 59998 View attachment 59999

#33432young2retire, Dec 11, 2013
Like Dislike
The f***? That guy looks like he's trying to grow hair from his skull.

JimmyB

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cotsarelis said wounding alone works great for mice because mice have adequate amounts of FGF9, which is initially secreted by gamma delta T cells. People dont have enough apparently, and so wounding alone doesnt work as well for us.

Hmmm, so maybe if we can get some FGF9 to combine with this...

Also, question about approval for other compounds down the line...if Samumed/someone else gets a topical approved, does Follica have to trial it in conjunction with their wounding device in order to officially offer it in their clinic? Obviously if something's approved, we could just get both and combine them, but having a best practice would be nice.

I imagine it would be an accelerated safety trial, but even if so, that would be added time.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think he's intellectually adequate for the job, @nameless.
And that's no hate.
It's reality.
We need somebody cleverer and more knowledgeable.
Honestly and wholeheartedly, @hellouser, I'm not hating on you, but don't you think somebody more knowledgeable should be sent to Japan?

You realize @hellouser is using his vacation days from work to do this right? You also realize that sitting through presentations, recording them, chasing down interviews, etc is tiresome as well right? Not to mention that is the busy work while there, then more tedious work is waiting at home as he compiles it, and uploads it. I mean here's a guy that offers to do what not many are willing to do, and we have nameless making a show about how nobody should donate to him, and you saying he's not intellectually adequate enough. I think everyone here respects what hellouser is offering to do whether they think he'll come back with a kings ransom worth of info or not! It's still a kind gesture regardless!