Follica Microneedling Protocol Patent Disclosed

44core

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did anyone ever discuss the needle diameter?

Maybe I'm wrong but we shouldn't be able to achieve 1600 wounds per cm² with existing devices.
A cm² offers the space of 100mm - If we take the Derminator2 which got a needle diameter of .15mm we can reach max. ~666 single wounds. So the needle diameter of follica's device would be max. around .06mm if the holes should be separately.

Ralph Wiggum

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Seen on Follicle Thought:

Follica Announces Poster Presentation Demonstrating Unmet Treatment Needs in Androgenetic Alopecia at 2022 Winter Clinical Dermatology Conference and 2022 Maui Derm Meeting

Poster:

5minutesbeforemiracle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Seen on Follicle Thought:

Follica Announces Poster Presentation Demonstrating Unmet Treatment Needs in Androgenetic Alopecia at 2022 Winter Clinical Dermatology Conference and 2022 Maui Derm Meeting

Poster:
Well, good to know they've been doing 'something' at least...

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Follica completed an optimization trial, and a Phase 3 registration study in androgenetic alopecia is expected to begin in 2022.

baldlygoing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As well as finding out about the magic elixir that is to be applied in conjunction. Or was that it established that is just minoxidil?

Ralph Wiggum

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As well as finding out about the magic elixir that is to be applied in conjunction. Or was that it established that is just minoxidil?
From June 2021:

Patients underwent six treatments over the course of 3 months with the Follica Hair Follicle Neogenesis Device (Follica, Boston, MA), a proprietary, powered microneedling device...Patients applied topical minoxidil 5% foam nightly to these areas for the duration of the trial.

baldlygoing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can anybody explain why they dont recommend over 1mm? Many use 1.5mm and a few 2mm.... hair folicles are deeper than even 2mm. so why they recommend only 1mm wtf? Can it cause scarring otherwise?

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
From the patent: "Needle target depth: 0.8 mm. For long hair, this can be increased to 1.0 mm, but definitely not more than that. The wound should extend 0.8 mm into the skin but not deeper, 1.0 mm is only to compensate for longer hair."

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The process isn't about hitting the existing hair follicles, it's about spurring a healing reaction in the skin.

Follica spent years figuring out the ideal wounding method. Don't try to outsmart all that work. Just use what they learned.

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The process isn't about hitting the existing hair follicles, it's about spurring a healing reaction in the skin.

Follica spent years figuring out the ideal wounding method. Don't try to outsmart all that work. Just use what they learned.
Follica is cope 10 years of “needling” research only to combine it with minoxidil lol.

Last edited:

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Follica is cope 10 years of “needling” reaserch only to combine it with minoxidil lol.

Yes, and their research on wounding methods is the one really useful thing they have produced. We would be stupid not to follow it.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score

So u saying to use max 1mm needles? Why do they insist on not going over 1mm? Most People use 1.5mm and some crazy guys use 2mm and get regrowth of hairs. Guess i wont use 1.5mm anymore....

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The Follica protocol doesn't even compare to "needling" in the normal sense.

1600 holes per centimeter. Stop and think about how much hole density that really is. Draw a 1 cm square on a piece of paper and then see if you can fit 1600 pen/pencil dots into it.

Follica isn't trying to put a series of holes on smooth skin. They are using needles to poke so many holes, so tightly spaced, that it basically destroys the top layer of skin like an abrasion wound. It's gonna heal quicker than a true dermabrasion because of the tissue left in place, but the idea is to provoke a similar kind of HEALING REACTION from the body.

Abrasion wounds have to be shallow unless you want terrible scarring. Keep it a 1.0 millimeters max.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Abrasion wounding will cause the skin to look red as if you got a sun burn. Do you think that research papers describing wounding as a trigger for neogenesis should use another wounding protocol like real scaring with different drugs?