Follica Microneedling Protocol Patent Disclosed

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
If you weren't worried about it at all, then why didn't you take it immediately after wounding instead of waiting 12 hours? I take it immediately after wounding, and so do many others. You're the first person to report any problem with it. Now there will be many more because of the nocebo effect.

I didn't I waited 8 hours as my head felt raw as f*** and I didn't fancy slapping it on straight away.

I love how people get so irate over someone's opinion or findings that don't fit their narrow viewpoint... These are MY findings, I'm sharing them for the benefit of the thread, if you don't agree I honestly couldn't care less.

I've taken minoxidil for 15 years, I'm not new to this, so I genuinely think you need to wind your neck in

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Nobody is irate. I'm just giving my opinion, I'm allowed to do that. I genuinely think you need to chill out. No wonder you have anxiety issues.

Ok dude, sure...

Anyway to summarise, I definitely had some effects from applying minoxidil 8 hours post Folica protocol first attempt, either believe that or don't.

On with the thread...

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok dude, sure...

Anyway to summarise, I definitely had some effects from applying minoxidil 8 hours post Folica protocol first attempt, either believe that or don't.

On with the thread...
Sure you did

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Sure you did

Hi I'm Pegasus2 and I have to have the last say in any debate and can't accept anything outside my own opinion. I love nothing more than walks in the park, being an internet warrior, and being a general knob

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi I'm Pegasus2 and I have to have the last say in any debate and can't accept anything outside my own opinion. I love nothing more than walks in the park, being an internet warrior, and being a general knob

Well well well, if it isn't the pot calling the kettle black. You must have come from tressless.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
So anyway as this is a thread designed to for people to use the protocol and report back their findings, let's get back to that... Too many threads derailed by the naysayers!

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
I never had problem sleeping with anything I applied topical maybe because I take Melatonin 3mg before bedtime which is good for hair too. I use VPA & minoxidil right after. I don't see the point of waiting if wounding takes 12-24 hours to close again. Folks here seem to be super sensitive to stuff that would not even kill a mosquito.
It's interesting that melatonin is good for your hair. When I take it my scalp turns into a fire storm and massive shedding. Go figure

telogen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you weren't worried about it at all, then why didn't you take it immediately after wounding instead of waiting 12 hours? I take it immediately after wounding, and so do many others. You're the first person to report any problem with it. Now there will be many more because of the nocebo effect.

What about the potential of creating allergic granulomatous reactions in the dermis post needling? When applying topicals so soon after needling, i imagine introducing immunogenic particles to the dermis may run the risk of causing some serious issue?

Any thoughts on this?

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamadermatology/fullarticle/1783057

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score

byebyehair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The study involved a less than five-minute in-office experimental scalp procedure using the proprietary Follica HFN device designed to stimulate hair follicle growth and evaluated the optimal frequency and number of treatments across three arms. Follica’s approach is based on generating an “embryonic window” in adults via a series of skin disruptions, stimulating stem cells and causing new hair follicles to grow. This process of hair follicle neogenesis involves minimal daily interruption and is enhanced through the application of a topical compound as part of the treatment regimen following HFN.

The safety and efficacy optimization study was an endpoint-blinded, randomized, controlled study designed to establish therapeutic parameters for Follica’s proprietary device in combination with a topical drug. The study consisted of 48 men aged 18-40 who had moderate grades of androgenetic alopecia (Hamilton Norwood III-IV). The optimal frequency and number of treatments was studied across three treatment arms. The regimen was well tolerated across all treatment arms with no reported serious adverse events. No adverse events were related to device treatment. A single non-severe event (headache) was determined to be related to use of the drug and is in line with minor side effects seen from treatment with the approved drug alone.

Both quotes found here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...nnounces-Positive-Topline-Data-Clinical-Study

The first quote either is not in line with the patent or there is a light daily disruption PLUS the biweekly big dsirupiton. What are your thoughts on that? That would be in line with anecdotal storys of success with daily light dermaneedling.

The second quote sounds like only already approved drugs will be used. Or is there too much interpretation on my side?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Both quotes found here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...nnounces-Positive-Topline-Data-Clinical-Study

The first quote either is not in line with the patent or there is a light daily disruption PLUS the biweekly big dsirupiton. What are your thoughts on that? That would be in line with anecdotal storys of success with daily light dermaneedling.

The second quote sounds like only already approved drugs will be used. Or is there too much interpretation on my side?

They are likely referring to interruption of your daily routine through topical application of minoxidil, not skin disruption.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score

Dont be surprised if it involves applying minoxidil every day other then days that you are scheduled to disrupt the skin on your own.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dont be surprised if it involves applying minoxidil every day other then days that you are scheduled to disrupt the skin on your own.
And we already freaking understand that one is not supposed to use minoxidil on days when you needle.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
3rd session (every two weeks) with the Derminator 2... Went to 1mm on fast this time and it hurt like f***! At .75mm on fast it was sore and I managed I think 24 mins, at 1mm I was tapped out at 17 mins.

There's defo more wounding happening on the right side than the left when I do it, no idea why but I think that side maybe has worse calcification, so causes more redness / marks.

No idea how people are going deeper than 1mm with the D2, I'm guessing everyone's scalp is a different depth though so one person's 1mm is another's 1.5mm?

clarence-forgotpassword

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And we already freaking understand that one is not supposed to use minoxidil on days when you needle.

Freaking freaking!

"You should add minoxidil to the skin immediately before using microneedling. That, according to the literature I read, gives the best results." says Dr. Rassman.

hairDespair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did a weekly stabbing at 1.5 for the hell of it and that will never not feel like a jackhammer with needles against my skull. I can only take a few passes of that sh*t. How people do their whole head for like 30 minutes is beyond me

HairOnFire

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some new data on needle depths...

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32897622/

J Cosmet Dermatol 2020 Sep 8. doi: 10.1111/jocd.13714. Online ahead of print.

Microneedling in androgenetic alopecia; comparing two different depths of microneedles

Abstract

Background: Microneedling has shown to have positive therapeutic effects in treatment of androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia), however, the best microneedling protocol is still controversial.

Aims: Investigating effect of microneedling with 2 different depths of penetration on promoting hair growth in patients with Androgenetic Alopecia.

Methods: Sixty patients, in the age of 18-45 years old with moderate and severe Androgenetic Alopecia were allocated into 3 groups of control: treatment with minoxidil 5% lotion; group A: treatment with minoxidil 5% lotion and biweekly microneedling with a depth of 1.2 mm and group B: treatment with minoxidil 5% lotion and biweekly microneedling with a depth of 0.6 mm during 12 weeks. Efficacy parameters including change of hair count and hair thickness from baseline and assessment of hair growth by patient and investigator were evaluated.

Results: Compared to the base-line, a significant increase in hair count and hair thickness was observed in all three groups after completion of the treatment course (P < 0.05). The mean rise in hair count (P = 0.017) and hair thickness (P = 0.007) were significantly greater in group B compared to control group. Investigator's evaluation of hair regrowth was significantly greater in group A (P = 0.04) and group B (P = 0.007) compared to control group.

Conclusion: Microneedling with a depth of 0.6 mm in combination with minoxidil is more effective than minoxidil monotherapy in patients with Androgenetic Alopecia in terms of hair count and hair thickness. This depth of penetration tended to be more beneficial than depth of 1.2 mm.

Keywords: androgenetic alopecia; depth of microneedle; microneedling; minoxidil.