Follica Microneedling Protocol Patent Disclosed

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great stuff dude. So if I were using an A6 with A6 cartridges, which length and speed setting would be closest to Follica's protocol?

If you say the A6 measures correctly but does not reach the correct depth when used, then possibly 1.0mm = 1.5mm? And speed?

I think it depends. Fewer needles means they'll go deeper as there's less force required to push them through. That's why if you go with a Dr. Pen it's best to stick with the 12 needle cartridges at most

LowHairLine

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
...If you say the A6 measures correctly but does not reach the correct depth when used, then possibly 1.0mm = 1.5mm? And speed?

REDUCING A6 DEPTH ERROR
Hard to say - no way to measure and too many variables alter A6 depth...
Below is a list w/ workarounds to reduce damping / depth error:

- SKIN TOUGHNESS: reduce it by keeping skin (very) wet w/ a (sterile) water spray bottle;
- LUBRICATION: lubricate w/ water as per above
(oils = great lubricants, but go systemic w/ needles - are there any "inert" oils?)
- NEEDLE COUNT: as low as possible - 3 to 6 would be ideal, but not seen them yet...;
- NEEDLE SHARPNESS: replace every 5-10min (dr.pen's are cheap);
- NEEDLE DIAMETER: as small as possible (if different diameters available);

Even w/ the above, you are still left with depth guesswork:
to achieve 1mm, do I need 1.3, 1.5 or 1.8mm?

A possible workaround is needle w/ friend's D2 @1mm,
and set A6 depth to replicate the damage (bleeding);

The best long-term solution = D2.

...And speed?

A6 OPTIMAL SPEED
@FOLLICA: speed is not important - hole count is.

@DEPTH ERROR: we could speculate that higher speeds reduce depth error, cause they have higher kinetic energy, thus more easily overcome skin friction -

but this is assuming that skin penetration energy is not speed dependent, a bold statement in itself - not enough data for soild conclusions...

Last edited:

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If that's true then why isn't 36 needles more effective then 12?

follica say 1600 holes per sq cm is the best, surely 36 needles would reduce the time by a third??

Perhaps because the Dr. Pen motors aren't strong enough to drive 36 needles in properly

rcom440

Reaction score
KETO & NEEDLING
We really don't want Ketoconalzole topicals systemic -
but w/ needling we might do just that...

I try to avoid it by reducing 2% Keto Shampoo (2%SH) and Cream (2%CR) B/A needling as follows:
-1 day = last 2%CR (end of normal regimen);
-6 h = last 2%SH;
+0 h = soap wash + needling @FOLLICA;
+1 day = 2%SH @5min before rinse;
+2 days = 2%SH @30min;
+3 days = 2%SH @30min + 2%CR straight after (start of normal regimen);

What is your KETO-NEEDLING regimen / recommendation?

I microneedle every 2 weeks with 1.5mm on Friday night and use Nizoral 1% keto every Monday, Wed, and Friday morning. So there are 2 days in between microneedling and nizoral. I keep nizoral around 5 minutes on the scalp before washing it off.
The thing with 1% or 2% ketoconazole shampoo and microneeding is in order for it to really affect your liver you would have to microneedle and then right after that shampoo your scalp with nizoral and leave it for some time. 1% or 2% is very small dosage that is pretty much safe.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
1% is dandruff treatment. Hairloss I would consider 2%. Getting liver sides on nizoral you would need to drink the bottle.

rcom440

Reaction score
1% is dandruff treatment. Hairloss I would consider 2%.

1% is almost as effective as 2%.
There are studies comparing 1% and 2%. The results were very close. Studies should be posted somewhere on HairLossTalk.com forum.

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1% is dandruff treatment. Hairloss I would consider 2%. Getting liver sides on nizoral you would need to drink the bottle.
Where do you find 2% bottles? It's always hard to find them, and until I find some source that sell it (in reasonable price) they suddenly run out of stock.

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can get a script from your GP. It's really not that big of a deal.
I can see only ketozol shampoo (ketoconasole 2%) in the pharmecies in my country, is there a difference between ketozol and nizroal regarding hairloss?

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
My next microneedling session I'll go for 2mm 30min using a D2. I plan to use a numbling cream all over my scalp. I will apply ethanol before and minoxidil/Valproic acid right after.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Just finished my first session doing it this way... 0.75mm with D2 on full power.

Previously I've tried dermaroller 1mm a couple of times, and last week D2 at 1.25mm on low speed.

I can safely say D2 on full speed at 0.75mm was definitely the most painful!!!

Managed about 25 mins covering all areas multiple times in circular patterns, scalp starting to look pretty damn red now which is good.

I found doing my crown tricky, on close inspection it looks less red than the front and especially towards where my bald spot meets the back of my head, so will try extra hard next time to do this more thoroughly.

Quite glad it's only once every 2 weeks as it was not the nicest thing to do haha!

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
I get exhausted after shampooing with nizoral/ Keto. Is this my liver or is it zapping my testosterone? Fatigue, brainfog and moody. If you were to look at my face 8 hours after shampooing you would see the major fatigue on my face.....and when I was younger I used it all the time with no issues.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
I get exhausted after shampooing with nizoral/ Keto. Is this my liver or is it zapping my testosterone? Fatigue, brainfog and moody. If you were to look at my face 8 hours after shampooing you would see the major fatigue on my face.....and when I was younger I used it all the time with no issues.

I mentioned in was it this or another thread about high liver results?

Anyway in this thread someone mentioned not to use it when needling with my liver issue as oral products had been withdrawn due to causing liver issues. Since starting rolling / needling I've dropped it completely and that uncomfortable feeling under my right ribs has vanished... So looks like although I was only using the shampoo, and using it every other day, that it was most likely the cause of my liver problems.

So if I were you I'd drop it too... I've also really struggled with fatigue which the Doctor said could have been as a result of my liver, so I'd say for what ever reason some of us seem more prone to it going systemic and it causing liver issues.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
I mentioned in was it this or another thread about high liver results?

Anyway in this thread someone mentioned not to use it when needling with my liver issue as oral products had been withdrawn due to causing liver issues. Since starting rolling / needling I've dropped it completely and that uncomfortable feeling under my right ribs has vanished... So looks like although I was only using the shampoo, and using it every other day, that it was most likely the cause of my liver problems.

So if I were you I'd drop it too... I've also really struggled with fatigue which the Doctor said could have been as a result of my liver, so I'd say for what ever reason some of us seem more prone to it going systemic and it causing liver issues.
Ajax thanks for your response. I thought I was the only one affected like that. Pretty crazy how a little goes systemic and our bodies cant handle it. Sucks

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Ajax thanks for your response. I thought I was the only one affected like that. Pretty crazy how a little goes systemic and our bodies cant handle it. Sucks

Yeah really odd it seems to do that as it's not really been mentioned before.

Wish I'd realised years ago as have suffered from bad fatigue for about 3 years!