Folexen: New Hair Loss Treatment based on S-Equol

Zapp Brannigan

Reaction score
Hi, I started on equol 3 days ago, I don't post here very often but this is a great thread (if anyone is interested I am a minor contributor on baldtruthtaIk as "Zoidberg").
I decided to buy the powder and have been taking a 2g dose of the powder morning and night - twice the recommended dose.
3 days in is very early to comment I understand, but so far no sides for me. I've also just bought the one tub to see how I tolerate it.
I'll update again in a couple of weeks.
Curious to know from anybody else that's using this if I should be expecting an initial shed?

- - - Updated - - -

This may have to do with my nitric oxide levels, that have increased by supplementing with aged garlic extract and vitamin C. Google nitric oxide and libido.

Beetroot juice is excellent for boosting nitric oxide levels too, I drink a glass a day. Also a fan of curcumin :)

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Any reason you are using the powder over the caps since you are taking it internally?

Zapp Brannigan

Reaction score
Mainly because when I travel I rattle... I take a fair few supps! :)
I'm trying to obtain powders rather than caps now - it's often cheaper that way, but works out the same for equol.

Aks20

Established Member
Reaction score
I am taking it too...i intend to post in a months time when I have sufficient experience, consistent results, to tell what it does. 2.5mg works for me, 5 mg gave me sides - i.e. groin ache...same as with 0.25mg but much milder and ache went away when i stopped for a while. Anyways will update in a month or more when I can tell u guys for sure ..

lobsterlobster

Established Member
Reaction score
Natural, I'm guessing you're a previous finasteride user who experienced sides? If so, I can always jump on your train if things just don't work out.

However, I'm going to keep at the S-equol for awhile. I've noticed many positive results with just the 5 mg a day. I don't think I even need the 10 mg. And the side effects are very mild compared to that of finasteride. If I don't take any equol for about a day, the side effects vanish, so I don't need to worry about the "lingering" effect that finasteride sides had for me.

I understand that the side effects of finasteride may diminish over time. Though I know this isn't the case for everyone. I'll see if the same phenomenon occurs on equol.

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
No, I have never used Finasteride. But after taking Maca, saw palmetto, and nettles, I experienced an instant decrease in libido.

Natural supplements that significantly inhibit DHT can cause side effects as well. Lesson learned. I have never felt so "helpless" in all my life: unable to "stand up straight on its own. " It took several weeks, after stopping these supplements, before my libido returned to normal. Scary stuff.

Keep us updated.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
...I just would like to know what was going on systematically when I was 21, a walking hard-on, full of hair and low DHT...what is the difference now if Equol binds to my DHT and lowers its concentration without affecting my 5-alpha chemistry, or the ratio of my testosterone/estrogen??

I think the bottom-line is that we don't fully understand what causes hairloss...For criss-sakes, a woman is growing finger nails out of her follicles...crazy freakin' world

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
what is the difference now if Equol binds to my DHT and lowers its concentration without affecting my 5-alpha chemistry, or the ratio of my testosterone/estrogen??

Correct.

I think the bottom-line is that we don't fully understand what causes hairloss...
True, but we know know that DHT binding to the androgen receptors in your scalp "turns on" the process.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Not DHT is the problem, but Prostaglandine D2 :)

but supposedly DHT kickstarts the whole process which leads to PGD2 doing the nasty...supposedly...it's the chicken-or-the-egg paradox, but the accepted theory at this point is DHT is the catalyst --- like the reaction that occurs when an A-bomb goes off -- you have the uranium/plutonium but you need to trigger the reaction before the bomb goes off...DHT is the uranium..

Strider

Reaction score
but supposedly DHT kickstarts the whole process which leads to PGD2 doing the nasty...supposedly...it's the chicken-or-the-egg paradox, but the accepted theory at this point is DHT is the catalyst --- like the reaction that occurs when an A-bomb goes off -- you have the uranium/plutonium but you need to trigger the reaction before the bomb goes off...DHT is the uranium..

testosteron+DHT=->COX1-2 -> Prostaglandin D2 -> hairloss

You can stop DHT, but it is much safer to block the Prostaglandin D2 receptor.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
OK...my EquolSlim came in but still waiting for Folexen...Gonna load up at about 25mg for a few days to get it in my system, then back it off to about 18mg...The only crappy thing is EquolSlim as the Chromium in there, which I kind of overlooked as far as dosing...but it should be OK for a few days...When folexen comes in, I'll two capsules EquolSlim and 4 Folexen so that will lower my Chromium....

From what I gather, you crap out most of the Chromium, but with heavy dosing of B3, more will be absorbed...Apparently, taking lots of Chromium isn't really a problem until you get into the mg's and not the mcg

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'll be picking up my equol tomorrow morning from the post office, any last minute advice? Anyone with updates on sides?

Sparky4444

Reaction score
I'll be picking up my equol tomorrow morning from the post office, any last minute advice? Anyone with updates on sides?

A few days in and I've had morning wood and no real change in my libido...It was already kind of low to begin with but I was taking Nettle Root so that may have had an impact...I am off Nettle Root

FYI, I am now taking:

1 teaspoon Carlson's Fish Oil x 2/day
400mg Curcumin x 1/day
2000 IU Vitamin D x 2/day
250mg B3 Niacin x 2/day
50 mg Zinc x 1/day
200 mcg?? of Selenium x 1/day
13.5 mg of Equol x 2/day from EquolSlim

Aks20

Established Member
Reaction score

I do think I have had sides on this, but I'll hold off lest I influence you perception wise? If you really wish to know, I could PM you..

Best regards

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Aks20 a bit late now, but let me know what sides you think you have. Even if it's not real it's worth documenting in this thread.

I've taken 1 x 2.5mg this morning. I feel fine my heart is racing a bit but I'm not sure how much of it is related to equol and how much is related to my ongoing anxiety. Edit: my left hand was also shaking more than usual and my right as well. I think the sides have now stopped after about 4-5 hours.

I'll try taking 1 x 2.5mg tomorrow morning and 1 x 2.5mg at night. Monday I will try to increase it to 10mg and stay on 10mg for the week. If I can take 10mg I will order 6 months worth at 15mg and hope to be able to up it to 15mg daily.

I've never taken finasteride or used minoxidil.

Last edited: