Folexen: New Hair Loss Treatment based on S-Equol

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Way to go guys...you're working for the balding men on those forum here and we applaud you for that.
Don't obsess over the sides! Good luck everyone.

lobsterlobster

Established Member
Reaction score
zeroes, that's definitely your anxiety talkin. Keep at it, equol is relatively safe.

My new regimen:

Aged garlic + vitamin c
Omega 3 fish oil (algal oil)
Biotin + MSM
2.5 mg equol

I should see a significant slow in my hair loss with that.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think it will be safe. This is going to be really expensive 'treatment' at AUS$60 a month @ 15mg.

Aks20

Established Member
Reaction score
I am probably going to drop this product as its given me sides....
Unfortunate, but true...as it seems that it does impact DHT heavily and that may be causing me issues..

I used it for some 3 days as a tablet...on the second day, I took a double dose...fourth day, I was down with a severe chest cold /viral infection. I think my immunity was lowered as my body was struggling to cope with a reduction in DHT. On day of double dose, I experienced frequent urination and discomfort "down there", it went away after 2-3 days but still..

After I recovered from the cold (partially)...I thought of giving it another try ...this time, day 1 I took a pill, but then I mixed my own "topical" with some 8-10 pills in an alcohol mix and used it as a topical for the past week. I can say now that I am having pain in my d**k and its uncomfortable.

I hope it resolves quickly as its pretty worrisome.

In terms of efficacy, nothing much to report.

Net, I am not going to be using any heavy doses of this product & may drop it for good.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Disappointing to hear Aks. If it's causing major sides you should drop it.

I feel much better today after taking 2.5mg, my heart is racing a little but nothing like yesterday. It's also freezing cold.

I'll take 2.5mg tonight.

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
20-30 mg daily with no adverse events. hair in the shower is about the same, but I notice less falling throughout the day, when I run hands thru hair, etc.

HARIRI

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for sharing your experience but I dont get it. Why do you play with dosage? Just stick with 10mg daily and do not risk any extra. If I were in your place I would start with 5mg then a week after start with 10mg forever. Nothing more.

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I explained why earlier but I will recap. It took me about 8-10 yrs to get to norwood 2.5. For slow progressions you can't distinguish maintenance from the slow progression. Every substance wont work for every individual. At a dose that merely maintains (as suggested by their very limited study), how would you distinguish maintenance if it works from the slow progression if it didn't work? You could lose ground and think it is maintaining if your progression of baldness is slow. If over the course of a few months I can't nudge my shed with a higher dose equol, I will drop it and move on to other products.

Given that we have one report in the literature showing doses around 3 mg daily reduce DHT by around 10-15%, how much do you think 10 mg is reducing, or appx three times that dose is reducing? The suggestion is the dose response is linear (meaning at the least that increasing the dose gives us an increased effect) but we dont know the slope of the curve. It is being tested in Australia for the prostate at sometime like a few mg, something like 20-50 mg, and something like 150 mg. If it was believed that 10 mg reduced substantial DHT, I don't think they would bother going over 100 mg. Hopefully their information will yield us a dose response curve.

Different people may have different goals and should pursue a course of action according to their own goals.

Everyone taking the same exact dose doesn't further our collective knowledge on this product as much as trying different doses does.

Do what thou wilt.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
I am probably going to drop this product as its given me sides....
Unfortunate, but true...as it seems that it does impact DHT heavily and that may be causing me issues..

I used it for some 3 days as a tablet...on the second day, I took a double dose...fourth day, I was down with a severe chest cold /viral infection. I think my immunity was lowered as my body was struggling to cope with a reduction in DHT. On day of double dose, I experienced frequent urination and discomfort "down there", it went away after 2-3 days but still..

After I recovered from the cold (partially)...I thought of giving it another try ...this time, day 1 I took a pill, but then I mixed my own "topical" with some 8-10 pills in an alcohol mix and used it as a topical for the past week. I can say now that I am having pain in my d**k and its uncomfortable.

I hope it resolves quickly as its pretty worrisome.

In terms of efficacy, nothing much to report.

Net, I am not going to be using any heavy doses of this product & may drop it for good.

Honestly? With all due respect, I find it very irresponsible what you are doing. Some kid is going to read the first line of your post and is going to spread the word without bothering to read the rest. I'm sure you mean no harm and are open about your experience. However do you realize that a lot of the available scare stories happen just like this? You have not used the product as directed AT ALL. You used a double dose for one day apparently and then some topical. What on earth do you expect? You know full well that this is working on your DHT. You need to be careful, give it time and let it do its job. Best to start using it as directed, don't you think? Your willingness to experiment is appreciated and things like topicals may prove valuable further down the line, but now? Anyway, good luck - no pun intended.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys, thanks for sharing your experience but I dont get it. Why do you play with dosage? Just stick with 10mg daily and do not risk any extra. If I were in your place I would start with 5mg then a week after start with 10mg forever. Nothing more.

+1

Aks20

Established Member
Reaction score
Honestly? With all due respect, I find it very irresponsible what you are doing. Some kid is going to read the first line of your post and is going to spread the word without bothering to read the rest. I'm sure you mean no harm and are open about your experience. However do you realize that a lot of the available scare stories happen just like this? You have not used the product as directed AT ALL. You used a double dose for one day apparently and then some topical. What on earth do you expect? You know full well that this is working on your DHT. You need to be careful, give it time and let it do its job. Best to start using it as directed, don't you think? Your willingness to experiment is appreciated and things like topicals may prove valuable further down the line, but now? Anyway, good luck - no pun intended.

C'mon, before typing out all that...- did you even read the thread so far ...because if you did, you wouldn't be talking about not using the product as directed.. Or did you not follow my conversation with the Folexen rep? Ok let me recap.

FYI, since you apparently didnt understand what I wrote/meant, let me clarify, the product is supposed to be used at DOUBLE my double dose itself daily. Thats right, 10 mg daily. I started at 2.5 mg, thats my 1 dose per day (1/4th of the Folexen dose), to see if I could take it. I could - but then 5mg was too strong for me. Of course, that's just me...you could be different.

Of course i know its working on DHT - the entire point is to see whether some of us can actually take the hit to DHT this product provides!

I made the topical from the product AFTER I crosschecked it with Folexen rep earlier in this thread - again, at levels below the 10 mg daily dose, translating to an effective dose much lesser than what the daily dose (4 pills, translates to) and then again saw sides persist! I have been talking of the topical approach all throughout - you would have known this if you had read the thread!!

FYI, the topical approach is logically sound, the Folexen rep clearly mentioned that - he noted that it would cross the skin as equol is a small molecule and even gave instructions on likely vehicles!

Net - if you go through my prior posts, you'd see I have been pointing out the effect of equol on DHT is well documented, and that DHT reduction is clinically shown to have significant effects on the prostrate (hence its widespread use for BPH) and even 5 mg (~20-30% reduction in DHT) should be enough to begin with.

Which is why I have been "low dosing" and using the topical approach.

You'd also see what I mentioned to zeros - I have been holding off on mentioning sides because:
a) I didn't want to influence his perception of the product
b) Having researched the topic myself, and with the effects of propecia well known, its well considered that there can be a "mental" link to our perception of sides, which is why I didn't post it before and haven't automatically dropped the product.
c)Different people react differently to DHT & its lack thereof. It could be that i am one of those who is very averse to any drop to DHT.

That is and was the point of experimenting with dosages! If you understand the product you'd realize that I have taken only 1/2 of the max dosage internally! And the topical approach (which has been discussed with Folexen earlier) actually keeps dosages low so as to minimize systemic sides!

Net, there is nothing wrong with such a conservative approach & as matter of fact, its far less risky than talking large doses of equol.

Which is why i haven't yet given up on equol. I am still thinking of the dosage at which I can get "some" protection with zero perceptible side effects. Net, I won't get the sort of advantage the Big3 give (NW5 to NW3 in 3-6 months) but at least some thickening, cessation of hair loss is better than left untreated, right?

My issue with sides, is hence likely to be useful to those who have had issues with finasteride as well. Those who can take finasteride and are not bothered with it, are not going to be bothered with Equol as well.

If you read the thread so far, Equol is actually safer than finasteride in that it binds DHT but does not muck around with Five Alpha R, so that advantage remains.

If you want to try this, go ahead. But if you have had a bad experience with finasteride, then its likely that Equol may not be a magic bullet. That too is true (unfortunately). Which is why I may have to drop the product if I cant find some low dosage level that corresponds to zero/no perceptible sides.

Hope this clarifies..you can PM me for any questions (it shows up in email so i may respond earlier...) and if I can help anyway, I will.

- - - Updated - - -

Cant speak for others...but my dosage levels are actually much below the 10 mg level, because I consider it very risky to take anything that can drop DHT by 40-50% (equol dosage is linear, 3 mg drops it by 10-15%). This is based on my own prior experience with finasteride, where 2-3 days of 0.25mg finasteride gave me bad sides (took several days to resolve). So I have tried 2.5mg, and then 5 mg...

- - - Updated - - -

Disappointing to hear Aks. If it's causing major sides you should drop it.

I feel much better today after taking 2.5mg, my heart is racing a little but nothing like yesterday. It's also freezing cold.

I'll take 2.5mg tonight.

Best of luck bro!
The heart racing thing could just be plain old anxiety.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks AKS. Keep documenting sides on this thread it's important for everyone to know.

I took 5mg yesterday and felt fine with slight heart racing. It probably is anxiety.

I will be taking 5mg this morning and 2.5mg tonight to even out the caps remaining. I'll be starting 10mg from tomorrow.

I don't have any issues with libido and I am on anti-depressants.

I dropped Toco8 the day I started Equol no idea if that has helped or not as it's suppose to raise test.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
What would heart racing do with DHT?? You know you're body better than anyone, but I wonder maybe if you're mind is doing a number on you....I am taking nearly 30mg from EquolSlim now for 6 days and no change in my libido, or wood....And I would feel it right away taking finasteride at this stage...

If you're system is loaded with DHT, knocking it down 10-15% is peanuts because you're already higher than what you had when you were 21 -- plus unlike how finasteride works with 5-alpha, you're body will continually be producing DHT so it will take time to get to a steady-state condition...so experiencing sides so soon??? Hummmmm....I just don't know....You have to load up to get your system DHT down, and then you can back off to 10mg to maintain a steady state concentration...

...remember guys, finasteride works via the 5-alpha, Equol doesn't...I don't understand how lowering your DHT to levels you had when you were 21 be harmful now that you're in your 30's or 40's??

Equol is not dangerous...10mg is NOTHING...finasteride is a monster drug...

...I am in a similar historical boat as LawofT...Over the past number of years, my thinning has coincided with an increase in body hair...I was always light on body hair, but now I have peach fuzz all over my shoulders...hairs started popping up in the weirdest places...DHT is doing it to me, so I am hitting it as hard as I can based on the evidence we have to go on...But it will take a few months before I can honestly tell what's going on...You would expect that some of the thinner hairs will grow back a bit stronger and darker, and for a diffuse thinner, that is huge...but it takes time

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
C'mon, before typing out all that...- did you even read the thread so far ...because if you did, you wouldn't be talking about not using the product as directed.. Or did you not follow my conversation with the Folexen rep? Ok let me recap.
Ok...maybe I should apologize if my choice of words has insulted you. This was a long post, so I will probably miss a few points. I have read the thread before and I was aware of the topical discussion. Maybe I did not understand your story fully. I'm not a doctor, so my opinion is my own and it is ok if it doesn't mean anything to you.
Anyway, my point was just that first and foremost the product should be used as directed. Internally that is at the dose they recommend. The topical was a bit of speculation on his part as well. It is not that it will be harmful, its effectiveness is anything but sure however. Starting on a low internal dose is surely not a bad idea, especially if you are prone to sides. Maybe try building up very slowly. I did that to allow my body to adjust to finasteride and it worked increasingly better. But over a longer period. Maybe that could help you to handle folixen better. Maybe not, what do I know :)

I know you have been very careful to talk about your sides before this post, so I may have been a bit harsh. I have just seen so many finasteride threads go down the drain because of people's sides-stories that I was afraid this was happening again. Good luck. I hope you are successful in your battle and hope you can stay on Folixen.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sparxx like I said it was probably my anxiety kicking in a bit higher over the potential sides and I did have something planned the first day I took it. I don't remember my heart racing last night.

Let's put the sides down to anxiety for now.

Law had reported some sides early on as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys the Folexen rep said it was tolerated well, not that no sides should be expected.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone , where is this stuff sold? How is the average to take daily? How much do you take daily? Is there a question about safety in the country it is sold? Thanks

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's hard to find. See Folexen link on first page for where you can buy. 10mg is recommended, im going to try to get to 15, would like to do more but too expensive.

It should be pretty safe.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You say 10mg is rec, you mean to buy that much at one time, or to take each day? Also do you have the link, if so please pm me.

Luxurious

Reaction score
I've been lurking on this thread for a while and am ready to give folexen a try for my self as I don't really have any options left at the point. Before I order from folexen I just want to ask those who have already begun using it, do you feel certain that the product you received was legitimate and folexen is a legit company? I know this has already been discussed but now that it's been a little while since users here have started folexen I just want to know if you all think it is the real stuff. And I'm excited to hear more results.

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It seems legitimate. The sales rep who posted here even offered to give residents of Australia a tour of their processing facility.

- - - Updated - - -

You say 10mg is rec, you mean to buy that much at one time, or to take each day? Also do you have the link, if so please pm me.

The whole bottle contains 250 mg of active ingredient.

10 mg is the recommended DAILY dose. It's 4 capsules, or 2.5 mg per capsule.

I think you could also buy it in powder form but it's no cheaper and its the same quantity of active ingredient.