Exploring The Hormonal Route. Hair=life.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
oh man i could go on about how I use it on my face it's INSANEEEEEEEE. I look at photos of when i was 21 and now im almost 27 and I don't look like I've aged a single bit.

It's also proven in studies that it increases collagan production...although those studies are only done on women.

So if you microneedline face with bi-estro= YOUTH

of course diet as well

And regaring ketoconazole I favor the cream over the nizoral. I hate nizoral and don't trust it.

See if you can get it through pharmacy.
How long have you been on bi-estro? What's your needling regimen?

Yeah it seems my skin has improved from it too after just a few weeks. Counteracts minoxidil nicely.

Nizoral helps but it is very weak, it only gets rid of the itch for sometimes only a few hours for me. I need to figure out how to get rid of the excess sebum.

deathdiss

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
How long have you been on bi-estro? What's your needling regimen?

Yeah it seems my skin has improved from it too after just a few weeks. Counteracts minoxidil nicely.

Nizoral helps but it is very weak, it only gets rid of the itch for sometimes only a few hours for me. I need to figure out how to get rid of the excess sebum.

hmmm i would say since i begun the regime so about 4 1/4th months so far.

i was doing 1.5mm needling every single week then switched to 1.7mm needling and now I only do 2.5m Needling aggressively at speed 5-6 on the dr pen

yeah with nizoral i dont trust it. i think it was something that made me diffuse everywhere. i did read that that's one of the side effects of nizoral shampoo but only a small minority have that effect.

slapping on bi estro cream with needling really nice. u only need a small finger for the whole face. Makes it smooth all over...really insane how it works.

deathdiss

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i didnt start at 2.5mm because it was too painful. even at 1.00mm needling i found it painful so i worked my way up with pain tolerance

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is transitioning to be MTF worth it for the hair?
It can be. Like everything, such conclusions are subjective but I would say that you would need an inclination to be at least androgynous or non-binary for it to be worth it for the hair but older guys no longer breeding might value hair either more or less in such a context. Younger guys can bank sperm if they want. Generally if you look at materials on what makes people in general attractive, and then what makes males attractive, as was said above, it is having an oval-ish face with big eyes and features that have not spread very far apart. Being average in all aspects strangely enough seems to be more attractive than being "perfect" so that's one reason why baldness is so crippling looks-wise and then when you add in all of the other deleterious life effects of testosterone, it could be argued that as little exposure to adult levels of T are best for folks who don't depend upon their bodies for physical labor.

If you want to discuss this more fully, we have several XY's with various motivations here: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...al-posts-prove-it.130425/page-15#post-1932651

I used to post more so here but this is a success thread and it probably doesn't need to grow anymore because it is already like a novel to read but also very interesting and sort of a page-turner as you follow @bridgeburn through his travails. Did he succeed? Definitely but he was completely feminized so cis-guys couldn't really emulate him unless they got breast reductions which people expected him to do but, and I understand why, he liked his boobs and then said that since he had hair now and a life, that he was outy or whatever which was a classic send-off that he violated less and less. He last was on here even lurking in January of last year, I think.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
All I know is that if you use progestin based steroids you basically nuke your test levels so I have no idea about CPA, I don't touch the stuff.

But with for example Trenbolone which is a progestin based steroid, if you don't take it with testosterone in tandem, your testosterone levels are likely to get nuked, so I can only presume that it will also antagonize estrogen levels. That's about the only analog I can offer you, all I can say is that I would personally prefer to have a slightly higher estrogen to progesterone balance personally for the sake of hair growth, but I think nuking progesterone to nothing is probably not a good idea either.
I don't know but many MtF's use progesterone to lower testosterone levels and unfortunately, in the attempt to increase breast size which is an MtF obsession that rarely or never works. You are right about them being neutral at least when used with estrogen but that Dr. Will Powers recommends their use on face and breasts and possibly hair. My view is that there are too many other meds that definitely work.

Why do I use 300 mg of progesterone ten nights a month? Because @bridgeburn did and the capsules only work at levels about 200 mg unless used rectally but it gets worse. These capsules are multi-colored in bright orange and red and make a mess even if you just pass gas. I assume the ten days cycle must be related to lunar cycles but I haven't researched it much. I just read on all of the MtF boards that 100 mg oral was essentially inactivated by the liver so either higher oral levels or rectal supplementation was needed. I don't think anyone needs it but I try to test different things for sides and marginal changes so others might not have to.

Jonny Craig

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know but many MtF's use progesterone to lower testosterone levels and unfortunately, in the attempt to increase breast size which is an MtF obsession that rarely or never works. You are right about them being neutral at least when used with estrogen but that Dr. Will Powers recommends their use on face and breasts and possibly hair. My view is that there are too many other meds that definitely work.

Why do I use 300 mg of progesterone ten nights a month? Because @bridgeburn did and the capsules only work at levels about 200 mg unless used rectally but it gets worse. These capsules are multi-colored in bright orange and red and make a mess even if you just pass gas. I assume the ten days cycle must be related to lunar cycles but I haven't researched it much. I just read on all of the MtF boards that 100 mg oral was essentially inactivated by the liver so either higher oral levels or rectal supplementation was needed. I don't think anyone needs it but I try to test different things for sides and marginal changes so others might not have to.

Yep.

Progesterone 100mg nightly (taken rectally) is proven to tank Testosterone in time, and Dr. Powers says it's so potent no need to even use an antiandrogen. Prog + E is enough for many.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ye
Yep.

Progesterone 100mg nightly (taken rectally) is proven to tank Testosterone in time, and Dr. Powers says it's so potent no need to even use an antiandrogen. Prog + E is enough for many.
Yes and probably much more valuable for MtF's than others in lowering T. Why? Because MtF's often take their meds for life and using natural estrogen and progesterone is likely to be less harmful or even un-harmful to the liver. That gives us a huge advantage in hair restoration more than any real differences in effectiveness. We can also on purpose chase estrogen levels that are "too high" like @bridgeburn and since wigs are accepted, if not expected in our cohort, we have a big advantage in terms of staying the course if we encounter "benevolent" sheds, if you will which often seem to happen with AA's as you read through all 600 plus pages of this thread and they are jarring to the system apparently. In the long-run, such sheds indicate perhaps increased anagen for all or most of our follicles but many cis-males for obvious reasons cannot tolerate a shed to complete baldness and just wait it out, the way that I did. I got so many compliments about my wig that I didn't obsess about my own hair for several months. I still am more objectively attractive in the wig but things are getting closer as my own hair improves. If I can't present effectively as a female with my own hair then I will go back to a male androgynous presentation which my family wants, sigh and which is slightly less fun for me because male clothes just aren't fun and they rarely are attractive but I have no obsession to be female and I still feel male as that is my 50-year point of reference.

Anyway, I female-failed with the pizza guy tonight without the wig while wearing slacks but it was dark so the framing effect of long hair is very important to passing and also hiding flaws. If I am not careful, my voice gives me away. This is mostly for the guy contemplating becoming one of us just for the hair, lol. I still tell my mother, "Mom, I am only in it for the hair" and my sexual preference never changed one iota, so my quippy quote makes her feel better. Now, if only my ex-wife, but I digress.

All of this being said, there are recent studies that MtF's can completely re-set the axis and feminize completely with as low as 2 mg but it can take a year or more when we titrate slowly. I started off with .30mg ! of Premarin and then doubled it every six months and I didn't reach female levels of E2 and T until I decided to change course and shoot for hair. It's involved for MtF's but lower E2 levels or E3 levels seem to mimic female puberty and increase breast size ceteris paribus, all things being equal as the Romans said and as we lawyers, still say. If someone wants to blast-off from the start, then multiple patches or injections or sublingual will get one there faster than pills but pills also offer huge advantages in ease of use, cost and incremental controlled change in the hopes of not fusing breast ducts. This all highly complicates any advice I give to cis-males who want to do this without breast reduction surgery. I can say that the average size for cis-males after a lifetime of T exposure is double A but I am a poster child for some people do get big, round cis-female boobs that are impossible to hide. @bridgeburn and I both seem to have made a conscious choice to continue on and shoot for the hair regardless of deniability with our families or significant others as we both significantly experienced much more breast enlargement than is average or typical. Stay the course was my motto and "hair falling gently around my face" was my Goddess-given mantra that continues to inspire me.

Last edited:

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello! I was thinking about Bi-Estro Cream, is it worth it? Although, the combination of both (Estriol+Estradiol) might be anti-estrogenic?

Although estriol is an estrogen, it has also been reported to have mixed agonist–antagonist or partial agonist activity at the ERs. On its own, it is said to be weakly estrogenic, but in the presence of estradiol, it has been found to be antiestrogenic. However, this is again due to the fact that estriol is a "short-acting" estrogen. If estriol is present continuously with estradiol, it shows no antagonism of estradiol. The co-administration of estriol with estradiol has been found not to influence the effects of the latter in women, including neither enhancing nor antagonizing the effects of estradiol.

So, we need to apply it everyday to be estrogenic and no anti-estrogenic? What if we are applying 3-4 times per week? Will it act like anti-estrogenic? I am kinda confused..

Thank you very much!

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello! I was thinking about Bi-Estro Cream, is it worth it? Although, the combination of both (Estriol+Estradiol) might be anti-estrogenic?

Although estriol is an estrogen, it has also been reported to have mixed agonist–antagonist or partial agonist activity at the ERs. On its own, it is said to be weakly estrogenic, but in the presence of estradiol, it has been found to be antiestrogenic. However, this is again due to the fact that estriol is a "short-acting" estrogen. If estriol is present continuously with estradiol, it shows no antagonism of estradiol. The co-administration of estriol with estradiol has been found not to influence the effects of the latter in women, including neither enhancing nor antagonizing the effects of estradiol.

So, we need to apply it everyday to be estrogenic and no anti-estrogenic? What if we are applying 3-4 times per week? Will it act like anti-estrogenic? I am kinda confused..

Thank you very much!
TL/DR It's difficult to be brief related to topical estrogen and estradiol levels in general but topicals will most likely only fully or even partially restore a head of hair when their use results in estradiol levels of at least 200pg/ml. Nevertheless, estrogen topicals might have localized effects and still be useful for hair improvement/maintenance.

Your understanding of the issues related to estriol essentially blocking out estradiol in some contexts but not in others is consistent with what I have read and consistent with my own results body-wise. Some conjecture that estriol doesn't attach to breast growth receptors and thus acts as a sort of Serm that out-competes other estrogens (and there are many) related to breasts while still having a prevalence to attach to receptors related to hair growth/regrowth. Like the prostaglandin flow charts which many people whom I respect claim show that they should work to regrow hair, I am dubious about estriol because it is so weak. Yes, it can work to attach to hair receptors but you have to use so much (loads) that this is mostly for the advanced folks who make their own meds and who eschew any feminization at all, while possibly also using AA's.

And good for them, we all learn by each other's trials and I follow attempts with just estriol closely but for most folks this is not practical and it presents pretty strong limits related to hair restoration which can be significant in a male-context but not even close to significant for those transitioning to female and probably not most males.

One of the best restoration pics on the net before @bridgeburn's results is an MtF who still is nowhere close to get tingout of her wig and she might not ever but hair results can continue for years for MtF's. Then again she started off as a slick bald horseshoe and @bridgeburn at least had decent fringe and maybe half or a third of his hair on top but he was clearly headed to horse-shoe slick baldness without HRT. But this gal, who had maybe restored half of her hair, still wasn't close to even appearing to be a non-balding male. She had sort of Julius Caesar or Napoleon-type hair. Even for an XY, it barely improved her looks although this is subjective. It was unacceptable for virtually all MtF's except for those who present as male which is confusing, I know, but MtF is often now used to indicate hormonal direction not gender status and that is true for me as non-binary seeking androgyny. So an XY using female HRT is an MtF in terms of medication approach but might still prefer to be seen as a male or lesbian or androgynous. It's confusing even for us which is why I often use the terms XY or XY-female. But I digress.

As a practical matter for most of us, I think estriol is still feminizing both instantly and over time but strangely enough, it might be better for MtF's who have to concurrently manage breast growth and hair growth or to do as I have and focus on breast growth for say, three years and then focus on hair growth. The approaches are subtly different and there are traps for cis-guys regardless of dosage, low or high. This has to do with low amounts of estrogens mimicking the start of cis-female puberty where the body gets this low estrogen feedback and immediately "turns on" breast growth based upon what it deems to be pubertal growth signals related to initiating breast growth. MtF's who start at too high levels of estradiol and AA's might in essence "skip" this second puberty, as it is commonly known, and miss the prime breast growth years. Anyway, I used pretty much only used estriol when just starting out but then used much more so, the Biestro blend from Life Flo on Amazon and I am the walking poster boy/girl for sometimes, yes, XY's can experience significant cis-female breast growth but this is pretty rare. The average cup size for MtF's is double A, which to me, virtually everyone would accept for a full head of gorgeous hair in the abstract. So personal risk/reward analysis is necessary before using even low-dose estrogens.

So now we are left with two issues. Does Biestro/Estrogel work better when used on the scalp and will it regrow/improve hair? I am uncertain as to whether scalp distribution of Biestro/Estrogel works better for hair improvement/restoration. Topicals often can be more efficient related to having effects on localized tissue. One assumes that is why we put topical minoxidil on the scalp but it seems not to go systemic to a large extent. Estrogen does go systemic and fairly strongly. I recently posted an article above where the plates/dates guy disparages its use on the scalp and he could be right. But then again, things like scalp thickness, scalp fat, scalp microflora, etc. can all be important factors and that is why anecdotal reviews are often not worthwhile. Sometimes they are great though when we have little other basis for dosaging information like for cis-guys starting HRT. 2 to 4 mg of estradiol seems to be the sweet sport when combined with an AA and in the longer-run, even 2 mg of estradiol might work.

Now, let's focus on whether Biestro works on hair. It's easy to get and re-order and you get it in two days or less. I put my money where my mouth is as Amazon indicates that I have bought Life Flo Estrogen products over 100 times since 2013. The estriol in my view is too weak and I only use it in emergencies, if it is all that I can find. Once I lost my credit card so Amazon was out and Ebay only had estriol on offer so I bought that. The estradiol version is more expensive and only carries half the volume by weight of the Biestro product so I went through that too quickly and kept having to re-order too much. Even with HRT estrogen in pill form, I continued with the Life Flo Products until I found a reasonable source for Estrogel without a prescription where they take credit cards, which is one vendor in Thailand, known strangely enough as Amazon4Health but not related to Amazon. (Trademark enforcement in Thailand seems to be weak). A list of all off-shore vendors that are reputable can be found here, by either clicking or pasting, HRT.cafe, no com needed.

I think that estrogen works when used on the scalp without doubt. Now whether using it on the testicles where absorption is more efficient and streamlined would work better, we don't know but probably since it creates higher E levels. But since the estrogen on the scalp essentially gets two shots at the apple, both topically and systemically, we just don't appear to know. People I respect both believe in localized effects and others I respect say that the data are weak related to localized effects on MtFs. Reddit has a great source called Transfeminine Science that I hold in high regard. Others like Dr. Will Powers, eh. Sometimes he is right. If you look here at my hair and transition blog, I have five years of hair and beard/dermatitis pics up and I can see real improvements during the times that I used copious amounts of Biestro followed by periods of retreat when I went off them because of family pressure, etc.

Here's how I think Biestro and Estrogel might/probably work. Initially, they cause subtle improvements to hair related to hair memory, i.e. maintaining a part in the wind and looking less disheveled without a comb. There seems to be a subtle increase then in ability to grow hair long, followed by a subtle by general improvement in hair quality. In my pics from October 2017 on the blog, I think I point out these improvements from baseline which happened about a year before my massive shed, which is a different era for me, because I had started with a doctor and actual prescribed HRT meds and my hair then actually got worse when I stopped using Biestro, probably because my oral E dosage was tiny, at .30 mg Premarin. We titrated upwards to 1.25 mg daily of Premarin (still a tiny dose) and then added quickly 100 mg of spironolactone and then 200mg of spironolactone, which I often exceeded going to 300 mg to 400 mg at times with my additional off-shore supply of spironolactone. Then bam came the massive shed to baldness which makes me wary of sheds especially for cis-guys. I could wait it out under a wig but cis-guys generally eschew wigs or hair systems.

Estradiol to me follows a linear curve that appears to become more steep in terms of effectiveness over time and especially as doses are titrated upwards. When a person reaches adult cis-female levels of E2 and T, some studies indicate that hair regrowth is essentially "turned on" and so these levels of estradiol might be a requirement for good hair results, so then at 200 pico-grams per milliliter to 300 pg/ml, hair growth commences in a copious way and restoration for people with extremely thin but not horse-shoe hair can continue for up to 18 months quickly and then level off and improve gradually again over time.

So, yes, in my opinion Life Flo Biestro works very well for hair as a conditioner and a marginal improvement vector which progresses incrementally but for the @bridgeburn wonderous results, I think folks need to shoot for at least 200 pg/ml which is highly feminizing. I had expected Life Flo and Estrogel to work much better with middling levels of both T and E2 which I had until last June. Middling levels of E2 and T are find for body feminization but for some reason, above the neck feminization both facially and in terms of hair improvement come last and you have to go through the breast growth phase to hit the hair restoration phase.

So there is a reason why HRT for cis-guys is generally not a thing besides temporary infertility and perhaps impotence. It's because you have to progress so far as an MtF to get the great hair and the marginal improvements that I had, folks will have to look for themselves and decide if they are worth the cost and yes, extreme effort as I massaged these meds twice daily and monitored their use extensively. finasteride and oral minoxidil now appear to me to be a better route for cis-guys for regrowth and not simply maintenance due to oral minoxidil's efficiency. Biestro might work very well at lower doses for maintenance but again, you have to monitor the situation closely and for many folks even twice a day application of topical min is too much of a hassle. This is a down-grading and an upgrading of my estimation of topical estrogen relative to hitting adult female target levels. All thing being equal, ceteris paribus, I continue to believe in topical effects and people whom I respect, some of them do as well but for something like @bridgeburn's results you have to be all in. He used large amounts of AA's, sublingual estradiol tabs and oral and topical minoxidil plus ten days a month of progesterone which is similar to my regime with even the progesterone but I use medroxyprogesterone acetate instead of an AA, as I find it more reliable and without jarring effects or sides like bica, CPA and spironolactone.

Goddess Bless.

Last edited:

Jonny Craig

Established Member
Reaction score
Your understanding of the issues related to estriol essentially blocking out estradiol in some contexts but not in others is consistent with what I have read and consistent with my own results body-wise. Some conjecture that estriol doesn't attach to breast growth receptors and thus acts as a sort of Serm that out-competes other estrogens (and there are many) related to breasts while still having a prevalence to attach to receptors related to hair growth/regrowth. Like the prostaglandin flow charts which many people whom I respect claim show that they should work to regrow hair, I am dubious about estriol because it is so weak. Yes, it can work to attach to hair receptors but you have to use so much (loads) that this is mostly for the advanced folks who make their own meds and who eschew any feminization at all, while possibly also using AA's.

And good for them, we all learn by each other's trials and I follow attempts with just estriol closely but for most folks this is not practical and it presents pretty strong limits related to hair restoration which are significant in a male-context but not even close to significant for those transitioning to female and probably not most males.

One of the best restoration pics on the net before @bridgeburn's results is an MtF who still is nowhere close to get out of her wig and she might not ever but hair results can continue for years for MtF's. Then again she started off as a slick bald horseshoe and @bridgeburn at least had decent fringe and maybe half or a third of his hair on top but he was clearly headed to horse-shoe slick baldness without HRT. But this gal, who had maybe restored half of her hair, still wasn't close to even appearing to be a non-balding male. She had sort of Julius Caesar or Napoleon-type hair. Even for an XY, it barely improved her looks although this is subjective. It was unacceptable for virtually all MtF's except for those who present as male which is confusing, I know but MtF is often now used to indicate hormonal direction not gender status and that is true for me as non-binary seeking androgyny. So an XY using female HRT is an MtF in terms of medication approach but might still prefer to be seen as a male or lesbian or androgynous. It's confusing even for us which is why I often use the terms XY or XY-female. But I digress.

As a practical matter for most of us, I think estriol is still feminizing both instantly and over time but strangely enough, it might be better for MtF's who have to concurrently manage breast growth and hair growth or do as I have and focus on breast growth for say, three years and then focus on hair growth. The approaches are subtly different and there are traps for cis-guys regardless of dosage, low or high. This has to do with low amounts of estrogens mimicking the start of cis-female puberty where the body gets this low estrogen feedback and immediately "turns on" what it deems to be pubertal growth signals related to initiating breast growth. MtF's who start at too high levels of estradiol and AA's might in essence "skip" second puberty and miss the prime breast growth years. Anyway, I used pretty much only used estriol when just starting out but then used much more so, the Biestro blend from Life Flo on Amazon and I am the walking poster boy/girl for sometimes, yes, XY's can experience significant cis-female breast growth but this is pretty rare. The average cup size for MtF's is double A, which to me, virtually everyone would accept for a full head of gorgeous hair in the abstract. So personal risk/reward analysis is necessary before using even low-dose estrogens.

Now, let's focus on whether Biestro works on hair. I put my money where my mouth is as Amazon indicates that I have bought Life Flo Estrogen products over 100 times since 2013. The estriol in my view is too weak and I only use it in emergencies, if it is all that I can find. Once I lost my credit card so Amazon was out and Ebay only had estriol on offer so I bought that. The estradiol version is more expensive and only carries half the volume by weight of the Biestro product so I went through that too quickly and kept having to re-order too much. Even with HRT estrogen in pill form, I continued with the Life Flo Products until I found a reasonable source for Estrogel without a prescription where they take credit cards, which is one vendor in Thailand, known strangely enough as Amazon4Health but not related to Amazon. (Trademark enforcement in Thailand seems to be weak). A list of all off-shore vendors that are reputable can be found here, by either clicking or pasting, HRT.cafe, no com needed.

Oh gosh, thank you, that website HRT.cafe is awesome and exactly what I need. My only concern is ordering from Canada and Canada customs being bastards who will likely seize shipment. You're not in Canada by any chance are you?

I've been looking to order legit Progesterone for a while now (docs have refused me scripts IRL) and I would love to get my hands on and use say 2mg/estradiol per day. 100mg progesterone rectally before bed + 2mg (or maybe even 1mg) of estrofem a day, would that do the trick over time ya think? I think I should use perhaps 1mg of estrogel and 1mg of pills taken bucal, as bridge did.

One thing I want to avoid is taking finasteride/dutasteride. I actually view Progesterone/Estrogen as much safer and much more predictable drugs (in terms of sides).

I have cancelled my order for biestro-care cream. Although from your post, are you saying it technically should/does work for hair? Sorry I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I also am getting annoyed of wasting money needlessly, and if I can order actual estrogen/progesterone, I feel like I should just do that.

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
TL/DR It's difficult to be brief related to topical estrogen and estradiol levels in general but topicals will most likely only fully or even partially restore a head of hair when their use results in estradiol levels of at least 200pg/ml. Nevertheless, estrogen topicals might have localized effects and still be useful for hair improvement/maintenance.

And good for them, we all learn by each other's trials and I follow attempts with just estriol closely but for most folks this is not practical and it presents pretty strong limits related to hair restoration which can be significant in a male-context but not even close to significant for those transitioning to female and probably not most males.

One of the best restoration pics on the net before @bridgeburn's results is an MtF who still is nowhere close to get tingout of her wig and she might not ever but hair results can continue for years for MtF's. Then again she started off as a slick bald horseshoe and @bridgeburn at least had decent fringe and maybe half or a third of his hair on top but he was clearly headed to horse-shoe slick baldness without HRT. But this gal, who had maybe restored half of her hair, still wasn't close to even appearing to be a non-balding male. She had sort of Julius Caesar or Napoleon-type hair. Even for an XY, it barely improved her looks although this is subjective. It was unacceptable for virtually all MtF's except for those who present as male which is confusing, I know, but MtF is often now used to indicate hormonal direction not gender status and that is true for me as non-binary seeking androgyny. So an XY using female HRT is an MtF in terms of medication approach but might still prefer to be seen as a male or lesbian or androgynous. It's confusing even for us which is why I often use the terms XY or XY-female. But I digress.

As a practical matter for most of us, I think estriol is still feminizing both instantly and over time but strangely enough, it might be better for MtF's who have to concurrently manage breast growth and hair growth or to do as I have and focus on breast growth for say, three years and then focus on hair growth. The approaches are subtly different and there are traps for cis-guys regardless of dosage, low or high. This has to do with low amounts of estrogens mimicking the start of cis-female puberty where the body gets this low estrogen feedback and immediately "turns on" breast growth based upon what it deems to be pubertal growth signals related to initiating breast growth. MtF's who start at too high levels of estradiol and AA's might in essence "skip" this second puberty, as it is commonly known, and miss the prime breast growth years. Anyway, I used pretty much only used estriol when just starting out but then used much more so, the Biestro blend from Life Flo on Amazon and I am the walking poster boy/girl for sometimes, yes, XY's can experience significant cis-female breast growth but this is pretty rare. The average cup size for MtF's is double A, which to me, virtually everyone would accept for a full head of gorgeous hair in the abstract. So personal risk/reward analysis is necessary before using even low-dose estrogens.

So now we are left with two issues. Does Biestro/Estrogel work better when used on the scalp and will it regrow/improve hair? I am uncertain as to whether scalp distribution of Biestro/Estrogel works better for hair improvement/restoration. Topicals often can be more efficient related to having effects on localized tissue. One assumes that is why we put topical minoxidil on the scalp but it seems not to go systemic to a large extent. Estrogen does go systemic and fairly strongly. I recently posted an article above where the plates/dates guy disparages its use on the scalp and he could be right. But then again, things like scalp thickness, scalp fat, scalp microflora, etc. can all be important factors and that is why anecdotal reviews are often not worthwhile. Sometimes they are great though when we have little other basis for dosaging information like for cis-guys starting HRT. 2 to 4 mg of estradiol seems to be the sweet sport when combined with an AA and in the longer-run, even 2 mg of estradiol might work.

Now, let's focus on whether Biestro works on hair. It's easy to get and re-order and you get it in two days or less. I put my money where my mouth is as Amazon indicates that I have bought Life Flo Estrogen products over 100 times since 2013. The estriol in my view is too weak and I only use it in emergencies, if it is all that I can find. Once I lost my credit card so Amazon was out and Ebay only had estriol on offer so I bought that. The estradiol version is more expensive and only carries half the volume by weight of the Biestro product so I went through that too quickly and kept having to re-order too much. Even with HRT estrogen in pill form, I continued with the Life Flo Products until I found a reasonable source for Estrogel without a prescription where they take credit cards, which is one vendor in Thailand, known strangely enough as Amazon4Health but not related to Amazon. (Trademark enforcement in Thailand seems to be weak). A list of all off-shore vendors that are reputable can be found here, by either clicking or pasting, HRT.cafe, no com needed.

I think that estrogen works when used on the scalp without doubt. Now whether using it on the testicles where absorption is more efficient and streamlined would work better, we don't know but probably since it creates higher E levels. But since the estrogen on the scalp essentially gets two shots at the apple, both topically and systemically, we just don't appear to know. People I respect both believe in localized effects and others I respect say that the data are weak related to localized effects on MtFs. Reddit has a great source called Transfeminine Science that I hold in high regard. Others like Dr. Will Powers, eh. Sometimes he is right. If you look here at my hair and transition blog, I have five years of hair and beard/dermatitis pics up and I can see real improvements during the times that I used copious amounts of Biestro followed by periods of retreat when I went off them because of family pressure, etc.

Here's how I think Biestro and Estrogel might/probably work. Initially, they cause subtle improvements to hair related to hair memory, i.e. maintaining a part in the wind and looking less disheveled without a comb. There seems to be a subtle increase then in ability to grow hair long, followed by a subtle by general improvement in hair quality. In my pics from October 2017 on the blog, I think I point out these improvements from baseline which happened about a year before my massive shed, which is a different era for me, because I had started with a doctor and actual prescribed HRT meds and my hair then actually got worse when I stopped using Biestro, probably because my oral E dosage was tiny, at .30 mg Premarin. We titrated upwards to 1.25 mg daily of Premarin (still a tiny dose) and then added quickly 100 mg of spironolactone and then 200mg of spironolactone, which I often exceeded going to 300 mg to 400 mg at times with my additional off-shore supply of spironolactone. Then bam came the massive shed to baldness which makes me wary of sheds especially for cis-guys. I could wait it out under a wig but cis-guys generally eschew wigs or hair systems.

Estradiol to me follows a linear curve that appears to become more steep in terms of effectiveness over time and especially as doses are titrated upwards. When a person reaches adult cis-female levels of E2 and T, some studies indicate that hair regrowth is essentially "turned on" and so these levels of estradiol might be a requirement for good hair results, so then at 200 pico-grams per milliliter to 300 pg/ml, hair growth commences in a copious way and restoration for people with extremely thin but not horse-shoe hair can continue for up to 18 months quickly and then level off and improve gradually again over time.

So, yes, in my opinion Life Flo Biestro works very well for hair as a conditioner and a marginal improvement vector which progresses incrementally but for the @bridgeburn wonderous results, I think folks need to shoot for at least 200 pg/ml which is highly feminizing. I had expected Life Flo and Estrogel to work much better with middling levels of both T and E2 which I had until last June. Middling levels of E2 and T are find for body feminization but for some reason, above the neck feminization both facially and in terms of hair improvement come last and you have to go through the breast growth phase to hit the hair restoration phase.

So there is a reason why HRT for cis-guys is generally not a thing besides temporary infertility and perhaps impotence. It's because you have to progress so far as an MtF to get the great hair and the marginal improvements that I had, folks will have to look for themselves and decide if they are worth the cost and yes, extreme effort as I massaged these meds twice daily and monitored their use extensively. finasteride and oral minoxidil now appear to me to be a better route for cis-guys for regrowth and not simply maintenance due to oral minoxidil's efficiency. Biestro might work very well at lower doses for maintenance but again, you have to monitor the situation closely and for many folks even twice a day application of topical min is too much of a hassle. This is a down-grading and an upgrading of my estimation of topical estrogen relative to hitting adult female target levels. All thing being equal, ceteris paribus, I continue to believe in topical effects and people whom I respect, some of them do as well but for something like @bridgeburn's results you have to be all in. He used large amounts of AA's, sublingual estradiol tabs and oral and topical minoxidil plus ten days a month of progesterone which is similar to my regime with even the progesterone but I use medroxyprogesterone acetate instead of an AA, as I find it more reliable and without jarring effects or sides like bica, CPA and spironolactone.

Goddess Bless.

@JaneyElizabeth thank you so much! Your answers are very informative and so helpful! Thanks again for your time, I highly appreciate it !

Jonny Craig

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting post below from a woman who strongly recommends Lifeflo biestro care cream:

APRIL 26, 2018
by Crystal
I use a very good brand of Estradiol / Estriol cream by LIFE FLO bought on Amazon, cheaper than health food store. Comes in a pump. Ive been using for a couple years now. It saved my life! It completely removed my depression and brain fog. Its about 25.00. I use for HRT on insides of my arm and chest and leg area. Due to a complete surgically hysterectomy I had at age 40. I used oral estrogen for a while , about 5 years right after surgery, I still looked SO YOUTHFUL. Until I stopped oral estrogen, Then the wrinkles appeared big time!! Do NOT use Premarin, its from horse urine. But I might start using what I have on my face to test and see!

@JaneyElizabeth What's your take on biestro-care vs straight up Oestrogel? Would we all be better off to just grab a tube of Oestrogel rather than messing around with biestro-care?

@Obsessive weren't you using Oestrogel? Can you comment?

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So to those who are transitioning or trying to keep their estrogen levels up, I found out that ketoconazole messes with CYP3a4 enzyme which
Are there any side effects of topical betamethasone usage? (long term or short term)

Weakening of the skin and the scalp, I was on it for about six months and then I tapered off for a while.

You can also use it in pulsed doses as long as you're using another androgen receptor inhibitor like azelaic acid, as I am, which I might add is working an absolute charm on getting my hair back.

I've used it a max eight months, but I don't think you need to use it that often, there are times where I will, and sometimes when I will taper off.

If your scalp is extremely oily, I would not recommend using it until you get that under control, I've been using a combination of finacea (aka azelaic acid cream), red reishi and evening primrose oil, and that has helped quite a bit.

You should look at using betamethasone like a boost to get your hair back where you want it to, some studies claim that you lose all your hair gains after you get off it, and I would say that's not true, I have after I regrew all my hair back when I was 30 tapered off it and my hair was just fine.

The methodology behind this is if your scalp is having a hard time getting that extra estrogen receptor boost to really regrow hair, you can use that in the interim until you get it under control. For me I coasted on just taking beta sitosterol on its own for a really long time afterward.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting post below from a woman who strongly recommends Lifeflo biestro care cream:

APRIL 26, 2018
by Crystal
I use a very good brand of Estradiol / Estriol cream by LIFE FLO bought on Amazon, cheaper than health food store. Comes in a pump. Ive been using for a couple years now. It saved my life! It completely removed my depression and brain fog. Its about 25.00. I use for HRT on insides of my arm and chest and leg area. Due to a complete surgically hysterectomy I had at age 40. I used oral estrogen for a while , about 5 years right after surgery, I still looked SO YOUTHFUL. Until I stopped oral estrogen, Then the wrinkles appeared big time!! Do NOT use Premarin, its from horse urine. But I might start using what I have on my face to test and see!

@JaneyElizabeth What's your take on biestro-care vs straight up Oestrogel? Would we all be better off to just grab a tube of Oestrogel rather than messing around with biestro-care?

@Obsessive weren't you using Oestrogel? Can you comment?
TL/DR We don't know and in general, estradiol ingestion orally, buccally, sublingually and parenterally works and it works pretty much the same in the longer run but injections and patches are steady-state and get one to target levels quickly. There are many good things about both Estrogel and Biestro and for MtF's and those seeking hair loss meds, ease of use, ease of purchase and quick shipping can be primary.

That's a good question. Estrogel has an alcohol carrier and is easier to spread over large areas of skin and it also doesn't leave any residue when used on the scalp. But for some people who don't have bank accounts or access to money orders might struggle to get it. In the U.S., you need a prescription for Estrogel which is another hassle. I have found a fast shipping firm in Thailand but Biestro can often arrive in one day. Many off-shore vendors take weeks to deliver. For people like the gal you mention, using Estrogel on genital skin (labia or scrotum) is estimated to be five times stronger/more efficient in terms of how much you need to use. I think Biestro is better for trying out and for incremental and subtle hair improvements. They are both topicals and might have localized and systemic results which gives the Estrogel on the scalp essentially two bites at the apple.

For extensive hair improvement, Estrogel works out to be far cheaper and you can reach female targets with it which would be difficult without using loads of Biestro. I did see incremental hair improvement by both, though but it was somewhat subtle but once I started at HRT at very low dosages, my hair did seem to fall back without the Biestro which theoretically I didn't need but I had been using copious amounts so my E2 levels might have actually fallen when I started HRT. MtF's have to be very careful with their protocols which can screw up breast growth if you use too much estradiol (and AA's) too fast so Biestro is great for moderating estrogen use initially which is hard for all MtF's to do because you feel much better and it seems like more would be better but not for breast development unlike hair.

My take is that Biestro is definitely beneficial for hair but it is labor intensive and requires twice daily massage of the product and many folks balk at using minoxidil twice a day. To get extensive hair improvement/restoration that other people will easily notice, my opinion is that a person needs to hit 200 pg/ml of estradiol with virtually no T. This is sort of a downgrading of Estrogel/Biestro but Estrogel will certainly get folks to adult cis-female hormonal profiles. There is basically one study on this with only one person but because many MtF's struggle to reach 200 pg/ml, we have loads of anecdotal information from doctors that only when adding an AA to these female's regimes, did copious hair regrowth/restoration occur, almost like a light switch, on from off. Now it's not the AA's that cause the hair regrowth and that is where people get confused. Instead, the AA's trick an MtF's body into perceiving adult female targets as being reached and but it is still estradiol that is responsible for improvements. I go into this frequently as we learn more here:

So anyway, AA's do not "regrow" hair. Instead they improve estradiol's ability to do so. Some guys now think that using AA's by themselves are less feminizing (they might be more feminizing) and that they cause hair regrowth based upon studies with flutamide and spironolactone but even this seems to be incorrect. By themselves they do basically the same thing as reductase inhibitors which is to halt hair loss but no true new hair appear to be awoken from their dormant state or very few anyway.

I also was always on Min/finasteride when I started experimenting with transition so I am not as good a judge related only to hair but whether systemically or through topical effects, Biestro is feminizing and significantly so for initial transition effects such as body fat and breast growth. Only after going above 200 pg/ml did I begin to note that my battle seemed largely won. But I also had a massive shed to baldness in the interim which affected linear progress. Again and again on the Reddit boards I see MtF's who claim Biestro doesn't work and this is fatuous. It's not some herbal thing and menopausal creams still contain the two main estrogen, estriol and estradiol. So they do feminize and they do work on the scalp but I can't say if the same amounts of say E2 tabs or injections wouldn't have worked just as well. Also, the light twice daily massaging and brushing in of topical estrogen is likely to marginally benefit hair, at least at bit, according to recent studies. I adore both of these meds and highly recommend them and they might, for cis-guys, be more directed at localized tissue but the research is spotty. I used lots of Biestro on my breasts and I have significantly more breast tissue than is common for MtF's so I think topicals work locally but this is a matter of continuing debate.

Last edited:

Jonny Craig

Established Member
Reaction score
TL/DR We don't know and in general, estradiol ingestion orally, buccally, sublingually and parenterally works and it works pretty much the same in the longer run but injections and patches are steady-state and get one to target levels quickly. There are many good things about both Estrogel and Biestro and for MtF's and those seeking hair loss meds, ease of use, ease of purchase and quick shipping can be primary.

That's a good question. Estrogel has an alcohol carrier and is easier to spread over large areas of skin and it also doesn't leave any residue when used on the scalp. But for some people who don't have bank accounts or access to money orders might struggle to get it. In the U.S., you need a prescription for Estrogel which is another hassle. I have found a fast shipping firm in Thailand but Biestro can often arrive in one day. Many off-shore vendors take weeks to deliver. For people like the gal you mention, using Estrogel on genital skin (labia or scrotum) is estimated to be five times stronger/more efficient in terms of how much you need to use. I think Biestro is better for trying out and for incremental and subtle hair improvements. They are both topicals and might have localized and systemic results which gives the Estrogel on the scalp essentially two bites at the apple.

For extensive hair improvement, Estrogel works out to be far cheaper and you can reach female targets with it which would be difficult without using loads of Biestro. I did see incremental hair improvement by both, though but it was somewhat subtle but once I started at HRT at very low dosages, my hair did seem to fall back without the Biestro which theoretically I didn't need but I had been using copious amounts so my E2 levels might have actually fallen when I started HRT. MtF's have to be very careful with their protocols which can screw up breast growth if you use too much estradiol (and AA's) too fast.

My take is that Biestro is definitely beneficial for hair but it is labor intensive and requires twice daily massage of the product and many folks balk at using minoxidil twice a day. To get extensive hair improvement/restoration that other people will easily notice, my opinion is that a person needs to hit 200 pg/ml of estradiol with virtually no T. This is sort of a downgrading of Estrogel/Biestro but Estrogel will certainly get folks to adult cis-female hormonal profiles. There is basically one study on this with only one person but because many MtF's struggle to reach 200 pg/ml, we have loads of anecdotal information from doctors that only when adding an AA to these female's regimes, did copious hair regrowth/restoration occur, almost like a light switch, on from off.

I also was always on Min/finasteride when I started experimenting with transition so I am not as good a judge related only to hair but whether systemically or through topical effects, Biestro is feminizing and significantly so for initial transition effects such as body fat and breast growth. Only after going above 200 pg/ml did I begin to note that my battle seemed largely won. But I also had a massive shed to baldness in the interim which affected linear progress. Again and again on the Reddit boards I see MtF's who claim Biestro doesn't work and this is fatuous. It's not some herbal thing and menopausal creams still contain the two main estrogen, estriol and estradiol. So they do feminize and they do work on the scalp but I can't say if the same amounts of say E2 tabs or injections wouldn't have worked just as well. Also, the light twice daily massaging and brushing in of topical estrogen is likely to marginally benefit hair, at least at bit, according to recent studies. I adore both of these meds and highly recommend them and they might, for cis-guys, be more directed at localized tissue but the research is spotty. I used lots of Biestro on my breasts and I have significantly more breast tissue than is common for MtF's so I think topicals work locally but this is a matter of continuing debate.

Thanks @JaneyElizabeth !

My plan, is to use purchase from the site you mentioned, and use 100mg Progesterone/daily (taken rectally), and 1mg to 1.5mg Oestrogel on forehead/temples.

Reasoning: Dr. Will Powers has shown when Progesterone is used in this fashion it tanks T over time, without even the need for AAs, and is much healthier in doing so.

Would 1mg to 1.5mg of Oestrogel per day be enough for my purposes? I assume I should perhaps dose twice daily as well, correct?

I am also using Saw Palmetto extract at 960mg/day. (there is a 2 year study of 320mg/day vs finasteride, and it definitely worked in vertex, in 38% of men compared to 68% in finasteride, this is much better than nothing, and hopefully since I'm using 3x the dosage, I would have additional results).

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Estrogen is amazing in every way. Testosterone is associated with many diseases and higher risk factors and it is psychologically damaging. Testosterone is good for aggression and making money or doing heavy manual labor. Otherwise, it could be seriously argued that all men should strive to lower their T levels to prevent excess aging, baldness, anger, aggression and fixative thought. That's the capture part of HRT. Many who do this just for hair or some, will stay on estrogen for life because it is so much more healthy physically, age-wise and psychologically. Beard removal might also have beauty effects besides making all XY's look at least ten years younger, regardless. Many MtF's in their 40's and hopefully 50's can look 20 years younger if not more.

I love Estrogen. It is the Spirit of the Goddess and Her gift to Women and now Men who seek beauty for beauty's sake which is a goal that benefits oneself and others. It's so much nicer, ceteris paribus to be around people, male or female that we find attractive and young. You just want to keep talking to them even without ulterior goals. You smile more at them and they get better service essentially everywhere if they have a gentle personality to go along with their beauty.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
On the estrogen thread I think the general conclusion was that beta receptors are good for the hair and the alpha receptors are good for breasts. Now, how exactly the estrogens compete for those seems complicated.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Kumbaya!

But we are not gay either of us.

I tell my father often, "at least, I'm not gay!" I have no interest in being associated with gay men or straight men or people associated with a*** pleasure but sometimes they make you, so that is different from being gay. For me, HRT has made me much more hetereo towards women or is it much more lesbian? I'm not sure about that either. I am an auto-gynephiliac and why wouldn't I be? Don't blame me, they just draw me this way but officially, "Hmph!"