Exploring The Hormonal Route. Hair=life.

franzliszt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I posted the main two that he followed a couple of pages back. They were both highly feminizing in terms of HRT.
They're pretty strong regimens, I guess sometimes that's what it takes. I'd prefer to keep it minimal, that's why I like the idea of 2nd gen anti- androgens. If you're castrated or taking a gnrh, all you need is the anti androgen and estrogen. No worrying about adrenal T, tissue androgen production and no need to take finasteride or dutasteride due to the low binding affinity of Spironolactone or Bicalutamide.
This paper provides all the information needed to make an enzalutamide oral solution, it even includes a detailed method of preparation.

Last edited:

franzliszt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Newer pics. I kind of like how it is getting longer. These are from yesterday. I include them mostly to show the change in manageability as my hair increases in volume and becomes more female in type. In the back, the mulleting seems to have gone away in favor of long-ish tresses. It insists on parting itself in the middle, which is fine since the crown has filled in, so I just brush it forward while waiting for the hair-band-like hairline to come all the way down. You can see quite a bit more blonde hair in real life.

It continues to seem like explosive growth and the crown has almost completely filled in. I include one of my eyelashes for anyone using minoxidil and/or latisse on the lashes. I am using minoxidil on both the brows and lashes, but latisse only on the lashes because it costs a fortune. Something seems to be working although I am not certain that females necessarily have longer lashes than XY's.
Looking good, can you see any vellus hairs going terminal? With this regrowth you'll be a good hair transplant candidate if it doesn't fill in completely

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This post has some useful info on vitamin D receptor down regulation

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

That article is so funny, because I'm already using Dovonex/calcipotriene (which is a hormone analog) to improve my hair growth (since about july), and yes, it's not something you leave in your hair during the day. And I will say this as a message of caution, don't overdo it, calcipotriene can cause an excess of calcium leaking into your bloodstream and cause serious kidney issues which I found out the hard way. You don't need a shitload of it, just -enough-.

Last edited:

franzliszt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

That article is so funny, because I'm already using Dovonex/calcipotriene (which is a hormone analog) to improve my hair growth (since about july), and yes, it's not something you leave in your hair during the day. And I will say this as a message of caution, don't overdo it, calcipotriene can cause an excess of calcium leaking into your bloodstream and cause serious kidney issues which I found out the hard way. You don't need a shitload of it, just -enough-.
Thanks for the warning. I bought some Dovonex a couple months ago, but accidently bought the cream instead of the scalp treatment and was only able to put it on my temples. Even that was enough for heart palpitations in the night, I stopped using it after this. How are you getting on with it? Do you think it's made any difference?

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning. I bought some Dovonex a couple months ago, but accidently bought the cream instead of the scalp treatment and was only able to put it on my temples. Even that was enough for heart palpitations in the night, I stopped using it after this. How are you getting on with it? Do you think it's made any difference?

I use it very sparingly, using too much actually seems to induce shedding (too much antiinflammatory action I'm assuming).

I am somebody who has had in the past severely low vit D levels, but yeah dovonex is serious stuff, it's powerful and I read a number of studies in which people with serious psoriatic conditions had to titrate down or go off it entirely due to complications relating to blood calcium while on it.

I would say this, if you don't have plaque psoriasis or something similar with a visible condition to your skin, you don't need to use it every day. It's something I will use sparingly maybe like once a week to two weeks on my scalp. It's basically easily absorbable topically administered synthetic vitamin d, like many things that are harmful when there is not enough, it can hurt you when there is an excess.

It's not something you use consistently to maintain growth if you don't have some kind of skin issue otherwise you're OD'ing on a powerful hormone. I use it as a preventative measure to ensure my body isn't suffering deficiency while maintaining other ways of getting vit d in my system.

The sun lamp actually helps with that a lot more, the dovonex is basically a weekly or bi-weekly boost to prevent my body from experiencing hypo symptoms.

TheHawk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There should really be a new forum category. These cannot possibly be success stories.

franzliszt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use it very sparingly, using too much actually seems to induce shedding (too much antiinflammatory action I'm assuming).

I am somebody who has had in the past severely low vit D levels, but yeah dovonex is serious stuff, it's powerful and I read a number of studies in which people with serious psoriatic conditions had to titrate down or go off it entirely due to complications relating to blood calcium while on it.

I would say this, if you don't have plaque psoriasis or something similar with a visible condition to your skin, you don't need to use it every day. It's something I will use sparingly maybe like once a week to two weeks on my scalp. It's basically easily absorbable topically administered synthetic vitamin d, like many things that are harmful when there is not enough, it can hurt you when there is an excess.

It's not something you use consistently to maintain growth if you don't have some kind of skin issue otherwise you're OD'ing on a powerful hormone. I use it as a preventative measure to ensure my body isn't suffering deficiency while maintaining other ways of getting vit d in my system.

The sun lamp actually helps with that a lot more, the dovonex is basically a weekly or bi-weekly boost to prevent my body from experiencing hypo symptoms.
I think I'll get back on it, and just use it very sparingly . What's your curent regimen?

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
There should really be a new forum category. These cannot possibly be success stories.

I mean, you’re probably right since this is something not even .0001 percent of balding men would do. But it does provide a lot of info for experiments we can try in the future

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score

Where do you get a sun lamp? Also, does a sun lamp act similar to laser therapy?

And by hypo symptoms, how does the vitamin d help with that if you don’t mind me asking?

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I'll get back on it, and just use it very sparingly . What's your curent regimen?

Where do you get a sun lamp? Also, does a sun lamp act similar to laser therapy?

And by hypo symptoms, how does the vitamin d help with that if you don’t mind me asking?

The sun lamp, you can buy a LED one, but I prefer the ones they use for reptiles, yes it's not just a heat lamp, they also produce the necessary spectrum of light at a decent enough intensity to induce vit-d synthesis. I've felt like absolute sh*t the past month and using this lamp has turned the tide for me in terms of many physical issues, and I do believe it's also improving hair growth.

As for using on one's hair as laser therapy, be VERY careful, the lamp I used gave me a sunburn, make sure you're laying at least 2 ft away and don't remain in any one position for more than 20-mins to 1/2 hr. Your skin may vary in sensitivity, but I got a freaking sunburn from my lamp so I had to figure out what distance my body could tolerate it. I have a night stand where I used one of these microphone stands to clip the sunlamp on to and I just point it at myself while I lay in bed.

Just look for a UVA/UVB reptile basking lamp, you'll find them I would recommend not aiming it at your face as it's like direct sun exposure, but you can point the top of your scalp at it from a safe distance and it will probably help some.

When my vit d is low I just feel like absolute sh*t, my skin is exceedingly pale, even though my iron and b12 is decent, I felt so tired I had extreme difficulty getting out of bed, I feel very dizzy and sluggish. Poor hair growth is a characteristic sign of low vit d status. Once I started laying in bed with my back to it with my shirt off, every day I could feel myself coming out of whatever malaise was being induced by reduced vit d levels.

You start feeling so good you forget to do it and then you relapse basically.

As for my regimen, I will PM you that because it's not directly hormone related and vitamin D technically is.

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey thought this would be the best place to ask. I want to ask my doctor to prescribe topical progesterone. In the costco pharmacy they have the the options in the pic, will any of these do or should i get my hair transplant surgeon to prescribe me what he knows. Will topical progesterone actually be of any use if i apply it with finasteride? From my understanding progesterone will be using 5ar enzyme which are inhibited by finasteride, making progesterone mostly useless in combination. Could anyone clarify?
Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 2.05.43 PM.png

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would recommend not bothering with progesterone, I have used it, and I have used oral progesterone on the recommendation of my doctor for a time. It's basically a meme when it comes to hair recovery, I am presently using a number of topicals and two of which are working way better than progesterone ever did.

Oral progesterone made me feel weird and I felt like it was giving me the beginnings of gyno, topical progesterone didn't do sh*t for my hair, there are far better ways to deal with hair loss, and frankly if you're on finasteride, you won't see any more gains that you already are on finasteride itself.

After reading a good chunk of this thread, and consulting with my own past in terms of how I looked, what my hormonal profile was, it seems very obvious to me that the only serious method of hair regrowth is in fact the usage of estrogen.

The only reason the DHT inhibitor I chose to use even worked so well in conjunction with everything else is because my estrogen was naturally higher, substantially higher than it is now, which is good news for me personally as I believe it will mean I can tolerate a reasonable topical dosage and have it go systemic without doing harm to my body.

ReturnOfExtreme

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi! I have been on estrogen and bicalutamide and dutasteride and oral minoxidil for some time, but I was wondering how I could regrow my hairline. I am at a Norwood 1.5 but want to be a Norwood 0, how can this be achieved?

Gergely

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi! I have been on estrogen and bicalutamide and dutasteride and oral minoxidil for some time, but I was wondering how I could regrow my hairline. I am at a Norwood 1.5 but want to be a Norwood 0, how can this be achieved?
Welcome to the grind, people report better regrowth on spironolactone or cpa than on bica.

ReturnOfExtreme

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Welcome to the grind, people report better regrowth on spironolactone or cpa than on bica.

My regrowth has been great on bicalutamide, I have gone from 20% hair density to 80% hair density. My hairline has been a huge struggle, though... I was a NW3, but I want a round hairline.

Gergely

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My regrowth has been great on bicalutamide, I have gone from 20% hair density to 80% hair density. My hairline has been a huge struggle, though... I was a NW3, but I want a round hairline.
Congrats on your progress. The current consensus are that estrogen is one of the driving forces behind regrowth.