Dutasteride Is Not That More Effective Than Finasteride

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Feelsbadman.jpg "The hairs that have already been sensitized to androgens may continue to progress at a slower rate with T"
If this was true, why is Dutasteride turning my thinn, damaged, miniturized hair into thick terminal hair?
Indeed. I would ask the same question, especially in view of the fact that Dutasteride stopped hair loss for 99.4% of the participants of the large-scale 4-year study that I quoted.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Feelsbadman.jpg "The hairs that have already been sensitized to androgens may continue to progress at a slower rate with T"
If this was true, why is Dutasteride turning my thinn, damaged, miniturized hair into thick terminal hair?

We kind of just went over this a few posts back.

It depends on a lot of factors but mainly how much aromatase enzyme is in the hair follicle, how quickly the T converts to Estradiol, and how long T has to interact with the androgen receptor prior to converting to Estradiol. If you take steriods and have supraphysiological levels of T in your system, then most likely you will still have extensive T binding with androgen receptor in hair follicle, not enough aromatase to convert supraphysiological levels I would imagine.

There are plenty of anecdotal reports of dudes juicing while on dutasteride and having no issues with hair loss but this over a short period of time. Given a long enough time period at that level of T exposure, they might start thinning. It just depends on the follicles genetic resistance to androgens and how quickly it converts the T to E which will vary between individuals.

Also, not EVERYONE will continue to lose hair on finasteride/dutasteride. In fact the studies show that MOST people don't. For most people, T alone is probably not enough to even continue Androgenetic Alopecia. My post that your referring to is directed at people who continue to lose on dutasteride which if you look through the thread, I agree is the extreme minority. But if you look that the youtuber Moreplatesmoredates, it does happen, especially if you take steroids.

Everyone's threshold for androgens is different as well as how much aromatase is present in the hair follicle. Your reversal of minaturization could be to the T converting to E, or simply not being sensitive enough to androgens for T to exert any effect or a combination of the two. I don't know but congratulations, I hope I respond to dutasteride like you seem to be.

Sonolmn98

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think blocking 90% of dht is an overkill and useless, where the main enemy is testosterone, women have 1/3 dht of what a man have, and yet they dnt bald because they have no testosterone, testosterone is the big player here, it is the precursor and the main culprit, so blocking all dht without block testosterone is not expected to do anything

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Feelsbadman.jpg
Well good luck with that. I should add i shedded like a madman for 6 months straight before i started seeing terminal hair sprouting everywhere.
Im surprised i didnt go NW7 in those 6 months. I easily lost 300-400 hairs everyday.
I should also add that adding derma stamping with 1.5mm needles greatly improved the regrowth i got. In fact, i dont know if i would have gotten any regrowth without needling, as i wasnt seeing any regrowth until 1.5 months after i added the needling protocol. Might be a coincidence, but i doubt it

Sonolmn98

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If that were true, dutasteride would not have been found to have a success rate of over 99% in clinical trials.
If that were true, dutasteride would not have been found to have a success rate of over 99% in clinical trials.
estrogen and chemical castration are only used if your hair loss started before 20 yrs, these are the 1% of males who won't respond to DHT blockers no matter what, I have 8 male relatives who used finasteride/dutasteride and they report massive improvement 2 years in use but after 2 years the DHT builds up in the follicle and the scalp tissues create resistance, at the point nothing works beside hair transplant, chemical castration, on the other hand, is permanent, 10 times more effective and achieve results that are better than hair transplants

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
estrogen and chemical castration are only used if your hair loss started before 20 yrs, these are the 1% of males who won't respond to DHT blockers no matter what, I have 8 male relatives who used finasteride/dutasteride and they report massive improvement 2 years in use but after 2 years the DHT builds up in the follicle and the scalp tissues create resistance, at the point nothing works beside hair transplant, chemical castration, on the other hand, is permanent, 10 times more effective and achieve results that are better than hair transplants
Please do something about this mods.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride and dutasteride continue to work for most hair loss sufferers for much longer than two years. For example, in the study I quoted earlier, over 99% of dutasteride users were at or above baseline after four years.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was still losing hair on finasteride and i occasionally had the dreaded itch, that has went away with dutasteride which i started in november. Plus mentally it makes me feel better that im lowering plasma and scalp dht as much as possible with dutasteride, improves my mood knowing im doing everything possible to tackle hairloss.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride and dutasteride continue to work for most hair loss sufferers for much longer than two years. For example, in the study I quoted earlier, over 99% of dutasteride users were at or above baseline after four years.

However, there are no studies showing its use in the long-term. After a period of time, whether that is ten years or twenty years, I believe that the chances that it stops working is worryingly high.

I read that study, and 20.8% of people experienced no change whilst 0.6% of people experienced worsening... The remaining 78.6% of people is classed as ‘improved’ which includes maintenance and regrowth.

Last edited:

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
However, there are no studies showing its use in the long-term. After a period of time, whether that is ten years or twenty years, I believe that the chances that it stops working is worryingly high.

I read that study, and 20.8% of people experienced no change whilst 0.6% of people experienced worsening... The remaining 78.6% of people is classed as ‘improved’ which includes maintenance and regrowth.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/downloads/Rossi_Finasteride_10Yr_ 2011.pdf

Pretty much 87% are above baseline after 10 years. Dutasteride is even better.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/downloads/Rossi_Finasteride_10Yr_ 2011.pdf

Pretty much 87% are above baseline after 10 years. Dutasteride is even better.

Looking at the photographic evidence provided, three out of four don’t look great at all. Above baseline could mean anything; the photographic evidence shown are above baseline. I don’t care for ‘above baseline’ because it’s any results greater than the beginning. During those ten years, you could have regrowed hair significantly but finasteride began losing its effectiveness and hair began thinning once again. But, it would still be above baseline if your hair looks better than the beginning.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

The 20.8% that experienced no change still maintained the hair that they had before treatment. They just didn't get regrowth. Being able to maintain is a big success in itself. Regrowth is an added bonus. Basically, in this study, 99.4% either got maintenance or regrowth on dutasteride after four years. And in the finasteride study that Itsjustsimon quoted, 87% either maintained or regrew after 10 years. These studies demonstrate the incredible effectiveness of finasteride and dutasteride as hair loss treatments.

I don't know why there are people on here doubting the effectiveness of finasteride and dutasteride. The evidence that these drugs work for hair loss is so overwhelming that it doesn't make sense to me why it is even being questioned on here.

Last edited:

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Most people catch hairloss late. I bet if you got a bunch of 18yo with a diffuse thinning hairline and put them on dutasteride you would find that over time they still continue to thin just at a much slower pace

Why are we even having this debate tho, there is no doubt that cyp ace or bica are more effective for hairloss than dutasteride and there are a bunch of guys who have documented their progress with these drugs.

The only thing now is how do we block the effects of both androgens in the scalp without chemical castration, this is why we are trying oh-flut in our group chat.

dutasteride is a horrible drug to take long term btw, your body needs dht too. Idk why some morons are ok with nuking 99% of their main androgen, dht, but start freaking out when people start talking about elimination their second androgen. In my eyes you people are not that different

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@hemingway_the_mercenary
Testosterone is more important for a adult male than DHT is. Which is why many people can take dutasteride with minimal side effects, and some even get increased libido.
Now try to take away testosterone from a adult male. He will basically stop being a male. I have seen a thread of some ginger guy who nuked all of his testosterone. He looks like 14 year old child now, and lost that last bit of muscle he still had, even though he was already as skinny as a guy can be

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Most people catch hairloss late. I bet if you got a bunch of 18yo with a diffuse thinning hairline and put them on dutasteride you would find that over time they still continue to thin just at a much slower pace

Why are we even having this debate tho, there is no doubt that cyp ace or bica are more effective for hairloss than dutasteride and there are a bunch of guys who have documented their progress with these drugs.

The only thing now is how do we block the effects of both androgens in the scalp without chemical castration, this is why we are trying oh-flut in our group chat.

dutasteride is a horrible drug to take long term btw, your body needs dht too. Idk why some morons are ok with nuking 99% of their main androgen, dht, but start freaking out when people start talking about elimination their second androgen. In my eyes you people are not that different

Dude, you really comparing nuking testosterone and androgen receptors all over your body to blocking 5ar?

I guess to each his own but don't rationalise your insane regimen with "cyproterone is better than dutasteride" without mentioning what it really does to your body. Men can live normal lives without DHT but not testosterone.

Try blocking receptors on your scalp with enza/daro/RU/CB before you start with this insanity.