Dutasteride Is Not That More Effective Than Finasteride

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Which is why I said:

That is a completely subjective statement. Maybe it works for you, good for you, but it is not the general consensus to be able to still fully function as a normal male after starting a male to female hormonal transition. You don't have to change your whole hormonal profile to have any effect on male pattern baldness. Different people have different ability to sustain certain regiments without physical complications or personal tolerance for difference types of side effects, not to mention difference in response to different hair loss regiments. Some people are satisfied with halted hair loss, some are only satisfied with regrowth. You don't have the answer for everybody.

From a medical standpoint of view, advicing any random person on a forum to do such a powerful regiment with possible life long consequenses without medical advice or medical supervision is just irresponsible.

Anyone who is dealing with hair loss should not take medical advice. I took medical advice once, and she told me to eat avocados to regrow hair and she said that finasteride is the strongest hair loss medication. I do believe they should request blood tests. I am not advising others to use this regimen, but they should do their own research about these medications and inform themselves rather than make arrogant accusations and name-calling others who decide to use this regimen.

I never said that it is the 'general consensus' to be able to function normally as a male after making such a hormonal shift. I am just confident enough in my biological gender to know that I am still a male even if I have the hormonal profile of a woman. And this seems to apply to others on this website who use such a regimen. Of course there are side effects to this regimen, and most people will experience side effects. It just depends on how much you value hair.

I'm not sure why you are complicating this, when my main point is that a lack of testosterone doesn't make you less of a man.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, common and wanted effects in male to female transexuals who undergo hormonal treatment under medical supervision. Not wanted effects in 99.9% of males that is looking for treatment against male pattern baldness.
And if you are doing the regiment you claim to do without being transexual, you most likely don't have prescription or medical supervision either, but you are obviously a fake anyway.

What the hell are you talking about lmao? Since when does wanting clear skin, a more proportionate face and a bigger butt make someone transgender? A significant amount of men nowadays want a bigger butt and clearer skin. I can't comment much on the more 'proportionate face' since that's subjective. I don't have a prescription prescription for these medications because doctors are unbelievably stupid when it comes to hair loss. I do have blood tests and monitoring. And, how am I fake?

LastHope123

My Regimen
Reaction score
What the hell are you talking about lmao? Since when does wanting clear skin, a more proportionate face and a bigger butt make someone transgender? A significant amount of men nowadays want a bigger butt and clearer skin. I can't comment much on the more 'proportionate face' since that's subjective. I don't have a prescription prescription for these medications because doctors are unbelievably stupid when it comes to hair loss. I do have blood tests and monitoring. And, how am I fake?

I don't want to argue someone who obviously are blindfolded.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that you are lying about your regiment because of your profile picture and everything you write. It's very obvious.
Post a before and after picture with a watermark of you username, and I may reconsider my statement.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't want to argue someone who obviously are blindfolded.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that you are lying about your regiment because of your profile picture and everything you write. It's very obvious.
Post a before and after picture with a watermark of you username, and I may reconsider my statement.

I don’t care if you think I’m lying. It’s evident that there are many others who have a similar regimen. People who explore outside of typical medications are the only people who make this website interesting.

You should browse around this thread: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/exploring-the-hormonal-route-hair-life.109288/

LastHope123

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t care if you think I’m lying. It’s evident that there are many others who have a similar regimen. People who explore outside of typical medications are the only people who make this website interesting.

You should browse around this thread: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/exploring-the-hormonal-route-hair-life.109288/

I don't care if you are lying either, as a matter of fact I don't care either that you are using whatever regiment you use. But advicing people to use the same extreme regiment in a thread about dutasteride and finasteride which are completely different regiments with much less side effects, without any warning is irresponsible. If you openly want to talk and admire estrogen regiments, keep that to a estrogen regiment thread like the one you linked. When you already critizised me for "being another minoxidil user giving others advice..", you should be ready to recieve criticism yourself.

But claiming that a man can live fine without testosterone, claiming not being transgender while being happy of getting female characteristics while having a female in full makeup as profile picture is highly suspicious no matter how much you twist and turn on that.

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this thread underlines the importance of objective studies. I do not agree with offensive comments back and forth, and individuals speaking with absolute certainty.

Indeed everyone is entitled to their opinion, but speaking with absolutely certainty about a drug while not being a medical doctor is dangerous to people just starting on this forum.

I am aware over the years of people claiming to have side effects on Finasteride but not on Dutasteride
For example. While I am not saying these people aren’t being truthful, logically speaking I do not understand how it is possible to get side effects on a drug that reduces DHT by 70 % but not on a drug that reduces DHT by 90%.

I personally do not believe it is possible to lose hair if enough Dutasteride is taken.

HLV

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone who is dealing with hair loss should not take medical advice. I took medical advice once, and she told me to eat avocados to regrow hair and she said that finasteride is the strongest hair loss medication. I do believe they should request blood tests. I am not advising others to use this regimen, but they should do their own research about these medications and inform themselves rather than make arrogant accusations and name-calling others who decide to use this regimen.

I never said that it is the 'general consensus' to be able to function normally as a male after making such a hormonal shift. I am just confident enough in my biological gender to know that I am still a male even if I have the hormonal profile of a woman. And this seems to apply to others on this website who use such a regimen. Of course there are side effects to this regimen, and most people will experience side effects. It just depends on how much you value hair.

I'm not sure why you are complicating this, when my main point is that a lack of testosterone doesn't make you less of a man.

Icarus, while I mean no harm or offence, please be careful with statements like this.

HLV

LastHope123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Icarus, while I mean no harm or offence, please be careful with statements like this.

HLV

This thread is full of potential dangerous advices, and people claim wild medical statements/"calculations" without any research to back this up. As a matter of fact, this thread should be reported so a moderator can consider deleting it since it may be potentially dangerous for people with little knowledge on the subject stumbling upon it.

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This thread is full of potential dangerous advices, and people claim wild medical statements/"calculations" without any research to back this up. As a matter of fact, this thread should be reported so a moderator can consider deleting it since it may be potentially dangerous for people with little knowledge on the subject stumbling upon it.

I fully agree. As someone who has tried most treatments over the years, including trying oral androgens at one point due to the advice of people on the forums which caused horrendous side effects to me personally, I am aware of the dangers such threads pose. There is no replacement for a medical doctor.

HLV

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I guess you haven't been here long enough.

It seems you are speaking from personal experience, in which case I would be very interested if you could kindly provide any links or pictures of your continued hair loss while on duasteride? I would greatly appreciate that.

Can I point out that I don’t ask for photographic proof to be difficult, but If taking this thread as a lesson, the individual who started it more or less implied that dutasteride was absolute useless. This would cause a lot of people to give up hope.

However when photographic evidence of his hairloss was provided, objectively there was hardly any evidence of hairloss, and his claim that dutasteride was not strong enough and oral anti androgens are needed to stop hairloss, objectively was not true. This is why we must be objective and careful on the forums.

HLV

Last edited:

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can I point out that I don’t ask for photographic proof to be difficult, but If taking this thread as a lesson, the individual who started it more or less implied that dutasteride was absolute useless. This would cause a lot of people to give up hope.

However when photographic evidence of his hairloss was provided, objectively there was hardly any evidence of hairloss, and his claim that dutasteride was not strong enough and oral anti androgens are needed to stop hairloss, objectively was not true. This is why we must be objective and careful on the forums.

HLV
I agree. The claims made by certain posters on this thread have been completely incorrect and in some cases very irresponsible, and have been very poor advice to new hair loss sufferers reading through this thread. The fact is that dutasteride is effective for the huge majority of men (over 95% of men for sure, and probably closer to 99%). There's a very small number of men whose hair loss is not stopped by dutasteride, but they are the extreme minority.

Applepie123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow this has really kicked of hasn’t it, and hasn’t really gotten anywhere.

I’ve been lurking on this thread and posting on this page for a few weeks now trying to find out one thing.

I’m 20 and experiencing pretty rapid hairloss, if im following my brothers rate which i think i am, ill be all thinned out in a year.

I have long curly hair so its hard to tell if its thinning until its too late and it all over laps each other. If my hairs wet and i pull apart abit i can see scalp which i dont think i could see as much before jumping on finasteride but im not 100% sure because hair loss is a gradual process and our minds play tricks

Been on finasteride for 7 and abit months- lose around 150+ hairs a day still.

So as the title of this post suggests, is there any point me jumping on dutasteride? Is my hair loss too agressive or am i just a complete non responder? Is there any solution?

(Im not on minoxidil yet, have been putting it off due to incovienence of it while at university and horror stories of it shedding hair n never re-growing, but im not rejecting the idea if its a good solution, doesnt seem to be a long term answer tho?)

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Welcome to the HairLossTalk.com party. Pretty much every thread is full of opinions from non-MDs...I don't mean to sound rude, but if you prefer input from MDs, you may not be in the right place.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

HLV

It’s the truth. I no longer take medical advice since they don’t know much about hair loss, and it’s evident. Other’s should do personal research, and conclude options for themselves.

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s the truth. I no longer take medical advice since they don’t know much about hair loss, and it’s evident. Other’s should do personal research, and conclude options for themselves.

In my opinion, I would be careful about generalisations. there are doctors who are very knowledgable about hair loss. You may indeed have had a doctor who did not, but telling people to avoid doctors can do harm. I know individuals who took medical advice from individuals on forums and ended up seriously hurt.

That being said, I have and continue to use topical minoxidil, and you have also stated in this thread that you do not personally consider the opinion of anyone who uses that drug, so it is possible my words may not be of much importance to you. However, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

HLV

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems you are speaking from personal experience, in which case I would be very interested if you could kindly provide any links or pictures of your continued hair loss while on duasteride? I would greatly appreciate that.

HLV

I don’t think dutasteride can ‘stop hair loss’ for specific people. I don’t think it’s great for long-term use, and effective enough if balding has started earlier than usual. I know for a fact that if I used dutasteride alone, I wouldn’t respond greatly.

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t think dutasteride can ‘stop hair loss’ for specific people. I don’t think it’s great for long-term use, and effective enough if balding has started earlier than usual. I know for a fact that if I used dutasteride alone, I wouldn’t respond greatly.

May I ask what evidence brought you to this conclusion?

HLV

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
May I ask what evidence brought you to this conclusion?

HLV

Since DHT inhibitors don’t have the power to resolve such significant hair loss which started at fourteen. In fact, I don’t think anyone could assume that it’s effective at ages fourteen to nineteen since studies testing its effectiveness long-term have a minimum age of around twenty years old. Although I don’t have much evidence to back myself up, neither do you.