Dutasteride Is Not That More Effective Than Finasteride

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We can argue all day about anecdotes but let’s look at the studies https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/research/dutasteride-vs-finasteride/

“It is about 3 times as potent as finasteride at inhibiting type 2 5α-reductase and more than 100 times as potent at inhibiting the type 1 5α-reductase enzyme.

Dutasteride caused scalp and serum dihydrotestosterone levels to decrease and testosterone levels to increase in a dose-dependent fashion. Whereas 5-mg finasteride decreases serum DHT by about 70%, dutasteride can decrease serum DHT by more than 90%.”

After 24 weeks:
Placebo: -32.3 hairs
finasteride 5mg: 75.6 hairs
Sit 0.5mg: 94.6 hairs

Today, if this was a brand new treatment, be it topical or a pill, it would be the toast of the new research section. When is the last time we had a substance beat finasteride like this in real hair loss studies? It hasn’t happened.

To any lurkers or noobs that see this, please know there are three kinds of people that stick around this forum for over a year. They do not represent the majority of people suffering from male pattern baldness.

1) Very young people with BDD or some other type of mental disorder that either don’t give treatments enough time to work because of their disorder, or continuously try stronger, more dangerous treatments because they perceive that the big 3 aren’t working (most likely because they are not actually balding, or they can’t deal with what most would consider a mature hairline).

2) People who are searching for new treatments because they very understandably got sides from the big 3 and or dutasteride. Or people that got reflex from finasteride/dutasteride

3) People who have incredibly aggressive hair loss that can’t be slowed down by the big 3.

If you are searching for a solution to hair loss, please don’t jump straight to nuking your body with oral AAs because a 17 year old with a large cow lick ignores years of studies and tells you it’s your only hope.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
at least u acknowledge that testosterone causes hair loss, thats why we see trans people grow full heads of hair while idiots on finasteride barely maintain or just continue balding.

We can agree that testosterone is doing damage but chopping your balls will not regrow your hair. It's an estrogen that's doing that.

Wisemiller

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your comment may be one of the dumbest I've read on this forum! Do you know how many people are on dutasteride/finasteride and it's working for them? Snake oil is something that hasn't been proven to work

I said RELIABLY stop hair loss. Sure there are stories around dark internet forums about finasteride, lasers, needles, etc. But I only believe what I can see, and all men I've talked to about it have tried it, never worked, not for me either. Once it starts, it goes.

I didnt know it at the time, but around 18 years old I receeded from a NW0 to about NW1.5, and it just stopped there for 14 years. Imagine if I was on these forums back then and got on finasteride, I'd be jumping around claiming success that finasteride held my hair for over a decade bro! Just get on finasteride bro problem solved! Hair loss can start and stop by itself at any time. I believe most people on finasteride would have maintained regardless, until actual balding started, then claim finasteride stopped working. In my mind, snake oils.

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
I said RELIABLY stop hair loss. Sure there are stories around dark internet forums about finasteride, lasers, needles, etc. But I only believe what I can see, and all men I've talked to about it have tried it, never worked, not for me either. Once it starts, it goes.

I didnt know it at the time, but around 18 years old I receeded from a NW0 to about NW1.5, and it just stopped there for 14 years. Imagine if I was on these forums back then and got on finasteride, I'd be jumping around claiming success that finasteride held my hair for over a decade bro! Just get on finasteride bro problem solved! Hair loss can start and stop by itself at any time. I believe most people on finasteride would have maintained regardless, until actual balding started, then claim finasteride stopped working. In my mind, snake oils.
I've been on 20 years, just because it doesn't work for everyone doesn't make it snake oil. That's an uneducated statement. If it worked for everyone it would be a cure not a treatment

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

3fb2ee644e78d8bd0ba841d99c66fcce-wat-meme-funny-memes.jpg

Dude, we have things called studies and things called placebo. Wtf really

Last edited:

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
We can argue all day about anecdotes but let’s look at the studies https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/research/dutasteride-vs-finasteride/

“It is about 3 times as potent as finasteride at inhibiting type 2 5α-reductase and more than 100 times as potent at inhibiting the type 1 5α-reductase enzyme.

Dutasteride caused scalp and serum dihydrotestosterone levels to decrease and testosterone levels to increase in a dose-dependent fashion. Whereas 5-mg finasteride decreases serum DHT by about 70%, dutasteride can decrease serum DHT by more than 90%.”

After 24 weeks:
Placebo: -32.3 hairs
finasteride 5mg: 75.6 hairs
Sit 0.5mg: 94.6 hairs

Today, if this was a brand new treatment, be it topical or a pill, it would be the toast of the new research section. When is the last time we had a substance beat finasteride like this in real hair loss studies? It hasn’t happened.

To any lurkers or noobs that see this, please know there are three kinds of people that stick around this forum for over a year. They do not represent the majority of people suffering from male pattern baldness.

1) Very young people with BDD or some other type of mental disorder that either don’t give treatments enough time to work because of their disorder, or continuously try stronger, more dangerous treatments because they perceive that the big 3 aren’t working (most likely because they are not actually balding, or they can’t deal with what most would consider a mature hairline).

2) People who are searching for new treatments because they very understandably got sides from the big 3 and or dutasteride. Or people that got reflex from finasteride/dutasteride

3) People who have incredibly aggressive hair loss that can’t be slowed down by the big 3.

If you are searching for a solution to hair loss, please don’t jump straight to nuking your body with oral AAs because a 17 year old with a large cow lick ignores years of studies and tells you it’s your only hope.

I highly recommend that everyone goes on oral anti-androgens!

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score

U are a funny little man.

Last edited:

Marcoco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
this is the "after" Pic
You can understand why he notices no improvements using the most powerful drugs available View attachment 118706
this is the "after" Pic
You can understand why he notices no improvements using the most powerful drugs available View attachment 118706
Starting balding at 13/14 come on mate give it a rest i was expecting horrendous diffuse thinning I literally have a friend who started at about 16 and is head shaved by 19 now thats what is considered aggressive.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are a delusional retard. You and your friends dont have hairloss, which is why dutasteride doesnt work on you and your friends

You have also used topical minoxidil, your opinion is no longer relevant :(

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know man... was significantly more effective than finasteride for me. Finasteride probably reduced my alopecia by 60-70% while Dutasteride has reduced it by probably 98%.

For someone who is destined to go bald in their teens, there probably ain't much for you, correct.

BeHereNow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
People on this website NEED to understand that testosterone causes hair loss, not DHT

People on this website NEED cretins like you banned much more quickly.

@Wolf Pack we have another anxious teenage full head masquerading as some kind of biology expert spreading falsehoods. Please ban this fool.

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
You have also used topical minoxidil, your opinion is no longer relevant :(
Ik, you are proving how toxic the forums are by recommending complete androgen blockers! You and all of the other children posting damaging regimens should be banned for life!

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
People on this website NEED cretins like you banned much more quickly.

@Wolf Pack we have another anxious teenage full head masquerading as some kind of biology expert spreading falsehoods. Please ban this fool.

He’s right about testosterone causing hairloss. Why would we ban people who don’t respond to finasteride of dutasteride, then there’s no point to these forums if the only advice given is just take finasteride/dutasteride

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
He’s right about testosterone causing hairloss. Why would we ban people who don’t respond to finasteride of dutasteride, then there’s no point to these forums if the only advice given is just take finasteride/dutasteride
Testosterone converting to dht causes hair loss! I know through your not so scientific research you may think that estrogen will help. It's about your genetic makeup not so much the hormones. You are different from me and I'm different from you. It has nothing to do with circulating dht but more to do with scalp dht! Even then its comes down to how your body is sensitive to specific hormones. Your young, clueless. Let me know when you finish your transition!

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Testosterone converting to dht causes hair loss! I know through your not so scientific research you may think that estrogen will help. It's about your genetic makeup not so much the hormones. You are different from me and I'm different from you. It has nothing to do with circulating dht but more to do with scalp dht! Even then its comes down to how your body is sensitive to specific hormones. Your young, clueless. Let me know when you finish your transition!

Testosterone causes the androgen receptor to change shape and enter the nucleus for androgenic gene expression just the same as DHT. If you have hairloss in your genes you will start balding once the gene expression occurs.

For some people with less aggressive forms of hairloss only DHT is strong enough to cause enough AR gene expression to trigger balding whereas in other with more aggressive hairloss Testosterone can as well.

You are honestly on of the most ignorant and arrogant members on this forum. Terrible combo