Dr. Tsuji Kyocera, Riken Research, Organ Technologies Form Regenerative Hair Research Team

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
Geez even the Top dogs on the forum are getting excited about this treatment, must be the real deal..

tdag

Reaction score
"The treatment involves cutting off a small section of scalp and extracting two kinds of stem cells from hair follicles. The extracted cells are processed and propagated to increase their number by 100- to 1,000-fold, making it possible to transplant a large number of hair follicles by cutting off only a small section of the scalp."

Wait so does this mean that the small section of scalp could 'only' produce between 100 and 1,000 new follicles?

A huuuuuge improvement on fue of course, but it could still mean that 30 fue-like cut out sections of scalp would be necessary to make 30,000 hairs, 60 to make 60,000 hairs etc.

Or could one single section of scalp produce unlimited/100k hairs by itself?

Im pretty sure that is saying the extracted cells will be increased 100 to 1,000 fold. That means each cell will be multiplied 100 to 1000 times. Now what that means in terms of hair count, I have no idea but I am almost positive it is a very very large number.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
S
Yeah even if they would start in 2020 it would go fast. Maybe 2-3 years later or something. I have never heard better news than this.

If I would be a hair transplant doctor or be a company in the current pipeline I would be sh*tting in my pants LOL.

I'm confused are they starting trials in 2020, or are they making a business because it's available and been through testing by 2020?

tdag

Reaction score
For the record if this is legit, this is huge beyond the scope of our hair. This will have other applications to our bodies and I am sure a lot of the science behind it is transferable to even more areas that arent directly applicable. Combine that with the exponential progress of technology and I cant wait to see what the next 20-30 years holds.

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
0702_nfid01.jpg

My donor area isn't actually that strong in the spot marked red in the dead middle. It's actually denser on the same horizontal line but to the left, closer to the ear.

I hope this is only for illustrative purposes and the team will be trained to detect the best section at the back of the head to dissect based on that individual's own hair characteristics. I hope they won't just always go where that red spot dead center is.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
0702_nfid01.jpg

My donor area isn't actually that strong in the spot marked red in the dead middle. It's actually denser on the same horizontal line but to the left, closer to the ear.

I hope this is only for illustrative purposes and the team will be trained to detect the best section at the back of the head to dissect based on that individual's own hair characteristics. I hope they won't just always go where that red spot dead center is.
You're reading way too much into the infographic. I'm sure they'll find the thickest hair and use it. Remember, many men have retrograde alopecia and there's no way they would just ignore that.

FWIW

Established Member
Reaction score
So this is finally the famous hair cloning? I thought Tsuji was claiming atleast 10 years to start clinical trials. It sounds great but so much will need to be done before it happens cosmetically viable solution. Maybe they are speeding it up because they see the progress of their competitors like Shisedo for example?

Are there any good hair transplant clinics in Japan as it will be availible only in Japan? I guess they will be the first to use this technique. Maybe HW will move to Tokio.)

WangMQ

Established Member
Reaction score
One more reason to stay alive.

Just shut up and take my money!!!

Joking aside, this is going to cost A LOT. Hopefully Kyocera will make it feasible with mass production device.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm confused are they starting trials in 2020, or are they making a business because it's available and been through testing by 2020?

I assume starting human clinical trials in 2020.

"In addition, the RIKEN research team has succeeded in using iPS cells*6 to regenerate functional skin organ systems*7 in mice
icon_lnk2.gif
, including all follicles, sebaceous glands, and skin tissues, thus leading the world in organ regeneration technology."

I understand the skepticism but c'mon guys. If this isn't it, it will never be.

We're talking about the world leader in organ regeneration technology here. This isn't some small time company just f*****g around. And they are pairing with a huge electronics company (nearly 15 billion dollars in revenue with 1 billion dollars income) to create machinery to allow others to use this technology easily. This is 100% the real deal.

This exactly. If this won't work then then we are probably talking about a timeframe for a cure that will be so far in the future (15-20+ years) that it's simply not attractive for me anymore and most on this forum I guess.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
So now we all have something to hope for, but short term, nothing changes... still the same story.

Get on with your RU, CB, Setipiprant, what have you's... you're gonna need it as it's gonna be at least a 5 year wait and maybe more.
Still all about dat maintenance game in the meantime.

hilbert

Established Member
Reaction score
After celebrating in my mind, I'd like to raise some (positive) points:

Is this the cure? Imho no, it's not. This is the fantastic repair when all else failed, and you've got too wide bald spots (and too many dead follicles).
The "cure", as @Swoop preached many times, will be some one shot treatment (e.g. genetic fix) to be applied to young guys as soon as they start balding, or even as soon as male pattern baldness is predicted.
Still, this infinite donor thing sounds fantastic... if you're bald, you can really hope to regain without the FU limitations of a hair transplant. If you're maintaining, you know you can do it in a more relaxed way, and don't have to fight to keep each single follicle alive: one day, if density has gone, you'll be able to gain it back.

Skepticism: I understand the skepticals coming from years of disillusions, but this is different.
Afaik it's the first time something similar to cloning will be walking out of the lab. Lauster, etc. have always been solid promises, but never went out.
And this also means that the times are mature: even if this fails, it's very likely there will be other teams moving forward. Science progresses more or less like this.

hair transplant industry: no, I don't think it's the end of it. It might mean a change in business models, but still we'll need a skilled hair transplant surgeon.
Imho skills in hair transplants is 30% technical ability and 70% art. And who knows that implanting can be done robotically?
Also, who knows how natural a Riken hairline will look like?
It might be that a bald head can get a full coverage with Riken, and get a natural looking hairline from a top surgeon with a dense packing.
If you don't have enough FUs (in the range of 1500s), then they will clone, implant the cells, extract the fully grown grafts, and then rebuild the hairline.
In one-stop shop. Nice, dense, and definitive.

Let's go back to the hair party :)

Axel

Reaction score
Alrite gentlemen, this is it. We're closer than ever.

Not the "cure", but a technique with solid science and reputed players that could make male pattern baldness a manageable disease (like HIV, Diabetes, etc). Now the question is how to get there with the maximum amount of density possible. I was thinking of starting finasteride microdosing this year but probably I'll wait for the first experiences/reviews of Brotzu's lotion...

papa pinrel

Reaction score
Hey guys, i m only 21 and suffering DUPA, do u think that this will solve Androgenetic Alopecia with weak hair alll over the head?

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
"Meanwhile, Japan cosmetic maker Shiseido has been working with RepliCel Life and Sciences in Canada to develop their own regenerative process and aims to introduce a treatment as early as 2018 for a fee of 100,00 yen ($10,000)."

lolwhat. i thought Replicel was aiming for ~$800-1000
Lol I had the same reaction, who knows where Forbes got that number from.

FWIW I believe that article that stated the $800-$1000 figure said that's where it would start.