Dr. Tsuji Kyocera, Riken Research, Organ Technologies Form Regenerative Hair Research Team

Billy-D2016

Reaction score
Well that really depends on the amount of hairs they can produce from a single hair follice. If it's unlimited then that would be a cure for even those who has the thinnest of donors as you would just need more injections per cm2 to get equal coverage. For example someone with normal caliber hair may require 200hairs per cm2 for normal looking density but someone with extremely thinned out hair may require 400 hairs per cm2 to get the same density
Here's a question or two I'll throw out there.

If Riken (cloning) were successful but Shiseido (immunizing) were not, would a cloning treatment be considered a cure if you still had thinning hair?

I don't see how Shiseido's treatment will work permanently if at all. Why would the cells from the back of the head pass on their characteristics to other hairs when injected in the region? By what mechanism is this meant to be possible?

Ken1983

Established Member
Reaction score
Because developing the machinary to automate the culturing process is n't exactly easy even once you take way the biology. Even if they manage to develop 10,000 doses from a biopsy, how are these going to be delivered to the patient? It's not a matter of sticking them into a syringe, each dose has to be injected separately so even this probably to be a custom developed device. The Japanese are good at this kind of stuff but no way could they get something ready in just one and ahalf years.
Kyoceras equipment will be ready by 2018, well the prototypes will be anyway. That wasn't reallly the main point of my original post though.

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
lFor example someone with normal caliber hair may require 200hairs per cm2 for normal looking density but someone with extremely thinned out hair may require 400 hairs per cm2 to get the same density

But the average normal hair density is only approx. 160-250 per cm2. 400 is rare and ultra thick.

I'm saying even if you plonked 200 per cm2 thick cloned hairs on top of a full coverage of very diffused, thinned hair, would the outcome still be aesthetic or weird?

In pictures of hair transplants performed with dense packin onto of a diffuse but intact outlins, the results look good but obviously you can't inspect them up close.

hair-transplant-surgery-front-163648.jpg

hair-transplant-surgery-pictures-right-163648.jpg

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Share-info/hair_transplant_patient.asp?PatientID=3284&DrID=376

Edit: It probably would look great.

recreate_teaser.gif

52927-picture1.jpg

Last edited:

orkun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
DUPA will work ?
beard culturing DUPA ?

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
New article, "Are cloned animals born old?"

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/36824899#

_90435558_mediaitem90435557.jpg

"Prof Sinclair said: "We focused on three co-morbidities: cardiovascular disease, diabetes and osteoarthritis - the three co-morbidities most associated with aging. Were these animals any different from the wider population of sheep with regard to these particular co-morbidities."

The results of the study, which could have profound implications for the future of cloning, will be published next week. But for now, the dollies, which are approaching their ninth and tenth birthdays, seem to be in rude health."

NormanNorwood

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I finally got round to reading the entirety of this thread and most of my anxiety associated with hair loss has just faded as it seems a cure or a "solution" is on the horizon. We can all just hope for 2020 release though (which I am a little skeptical of aswell but I have high hopes)

F*UCK YEAH HUMANS!!

Cost is what I fear with this now. I understand it's a new technology somewhat but if they want to make money they need to make it accessible to more people. Not just the bald elites 1%

Please be $10,000 or less..

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think $10,000 is the most it will cost. They should have no shortage of clinics lining up to perform the procedure, and it's a lot less involved than plastic surgery. I don't really see any reason why it should cost more than a nose job.

Billy-D2016

Reaction score
It would be great if someone can somehow manage an interview with Dr Tsuji.
This is the first time i have real hope after intercytex rolled over. The science is real, the scientists behind it are world class and they have a huge financial backer. This is real!!

Billy-D2016

Reaction score
It would be great if someone can somehow manage an interview with Dr Tsuji.
This is the first time i have real hope after intercytex rolled over. The science is real, the scientists behind it are world class and they have a huge financial backer. This is real!!
And Thank God for no FDA

Ken1983

Established Member
Reaction score
I finally got round to reading the entirety of this thread and most of my anxiety associated with hair loss has just faded as it seems a cure or a "solution" is on the horizon. We can all just hope for 2020 release though (which I am a little skeptical of aswell but I have high hopes)

F*UCK YEAH HUMANS!!

Cost is what I fear with this now. I understand it's a new technology somewhat but if they want to make money they need to make it accessible to more people. Not just the bald elites 1%

Please be $10,000 or less..

i wouldn't get too pumped up yet, we dont even know if theyve figured out how to culture epithelial cells. Or how long it will take to do that

Last edited:

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
E-mail from Riken;

Thank you for your interest in the research carried out at the RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology (CDB).

The news you may have read is likely regarding the recent press release made on the joint research between Kyocera Corporation, RIKEN CDB’s Laboratory for Organ Regeneration, and Organ Technologies Inc. in regenerative medicine aimed at developing technologies and products for treating alopecia through the regeneration of hair follicles.

The agreement has just been reached between the above parties and research will begin shortly. As this is still very early stages of research, there are currently no confirmed plans for when clinical research or trials may take place. While the parties have set a goal for 2020 for developing technologies for treating alopecia, this is only a goal and not a guarantee that it will be in the market by then.

Details of the proposed research can be found from the link below.

http://global.kyocera.com/news/2016/0702_nfid.html

If and when the research reaches the clinical stage, there will likely be another press release at that time.

We appreciate your understanding of the present situation.

Sincerely,
Developmental Biology Planning Office (Research Communications)
RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology

Ken1983

Established Member
Reaction score
E-mail from Riken;
They said "VERY early stages of research" and "developing technology" which gives me the impression there is still a lot of ground to cover. Its not a matter of tweeking a few things then. It could take decades to figure out how to culture the cells; i wouldn't hold your breath people.

Ken1983

Established Member
Reaction score
Should they even be talking about trials at such an early stage? it gives people the wrong impression, because we know the science behind this company is sold, so it's unlikely the trials would fail.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Should they even be talking about trials at such an early stage? it gives people the wrong impression, because we know the science behind this company is sold, so it's unlikely the trials would fail.

Guaranteed there is a lot they know that we don't.

hilbert

Established Member
Reaction score
They said "VERY early stages of research" and "developing technology" which gives me the impression there is still a lot of ground to cover. Its not a matter of tweeking a few things then. It could take decades to figure out how to culture the cells; i wouldn't hold your breath people.

we're over speculating here.
Agree with @hellouser: there is so much we don't know.
For sure one thing: no way the time span is decades; that's ok for basic research, but here it's about business agreements. And a business plan doesn't go too far beyond 5 yrs.
If it's decades, it won't happen, and they will look into something else.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
we're over speculating here.
Agree with @hellouser: there is so much we don't know.
For sure one thing: no way the time span is decades; that's ok for basic research, but here it's about business agreements. And a business plan doesn't go too far beyond 5 yrs.
If it's decades, it won't happen, and they will look into something else.

Yup, these guys want a return on their investments as fast as possible. If it'd be possible, they'd be selling the treatment to consumers YESTERDAY.

Money is a powerful force, only thing that comes close is a fictional sky wizard (religion).

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score
Yup, these guys want a return on their investments as fast as possible. If it'd be possible, they'd be selling the treatment to consumers YESTERDAY.

Money is a powerful force, only thing that comes close is a fictional sky wizard (religion).

Money today is worth more than money tomorrow. Finance 101 ;)