Does Dutasteride Really Worked Better Than Finasteride ?

Steph90

My Regimen
Reaction score
hi guys i would first try finasteride 1mg a day for at least a year and if its not working try dutas but remember its still no cure i have been on and off dutasteride for a long time and found it better for me as it lowers dht about 91-94% at only 0.5mgs a day whereas finast is about 71% at 1mg a day

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was a long-time finasteride user (13 years I think). Had no idea whether the drug worked - I still experienced very gradual loss but maybe it would\ve been much faster without the drug?

Began noticing more hairs in the shower a year ago, so switched to Dutasteride in March/April this year, taking 0.5mg daily. Have just approached the 6 month mark and all I've experienced thus far is very heavy shedding - tons of hair in the shower.

Hard to really know what's going on. Could be a sign that it's working. Could be a sign that it's not working at all and genetics are catching up with me. Can't believe the meds would be making the hairloss worse though. That doesn't seem possible?

Sides? Hard to say again really. When I was on finasteride, my libido was very up and down. Sometimes I could be randy and orgasm normally, other times, I could have very weak orgasms and watery sperm. It's been largely the same on dutasteride. Therefore, inconconclusive whether I can attribute that to the meds rather than just me/age.

Anyway, I've been advised to stick on the Dutasteride for another 6 months - need to give meds at least a year. I never understand why someone would not stick with the drug after a couple of months unless they were experiencing severe side-effects.

If the Dutasteride continues to not work and/or the shedding continues at the present rate, well then, I just don't know what my other options are? I'm very depressed thinking about it.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was a long-time finasteride user (13 years I think). Had no idea whether the drug worked - I still experienced very gradual loss but maybe it would\ve been much faster without the drug?

Began noticing more hairs in the shower a year ago, so switched to Dutasteride in March/April this year, taking 0.5mg daily. Have just approached the 6 month mark and all I've experienced thus far is very heavy shedding - tons of hair in the shower.

Hard to really know what's going on. Could be a sign that it's working. Could be a sign that it's not working at all and genetics are catching up with me. Can't believe the meds would be making the hairloss worse though. That doesn't seem possible?

Sides? Hard to say again really. When I was on finasteride, my libido was very up and down. Sometimes I could be randy and orgasm normally, other times, I could have very weak orgasms and watery sperm. It's been largely the same on dutasteride. Therefore, inconconclusive whether I can attribute that to the meds rather than just me/age.

Anyway, I've been advised to stick on the Dutasteride for another 6 months - need to give meds at least a year. I never understand why someone would not stick with the drug after a couple of months unless they were experiencing severe side-effects.

If the Dutasteride continues to not work and/or the shedding continues at the present rate, well then, I just don't know what my other options are? I'm very depressed thinking about it.

I'm adding CB to a dutasteride. Will see how it goes, will definitely report on it.

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you! That's very comforting .sorry I took so long to respond. Haven't gotten around to logging on here

MRKA

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well..Propecia lost efficacy for me after 5 years. I switched over to Dutasteride and it helps still after 8 years. Helping means no further loss. Cheers MRKA

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just started dutasteride, if 70 odd percent of DHT reduction from finasteride allows 80% of men to maintain their hair for 5 years or more then im sure dutasteride has better results. I only bought 30 dutasteride capsules at first just to gauge side effects, im taking 0.5mg dutasteride with 1mg finasteride, i plan on doing this for 30 days until my dutasteride runs out then just using dutasteride, takes a while for dutasteride to build up in the system. I haven't experienced any side-effects other than the same ones i get on finasteride.

Last edited:

MRKA

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just started dutasteride, if 70 odd percent of DHT reduction from finasteride allows 80% of men to maintain their hair for 5 years or more then im sure dutasteride has better results. I only bought 30 dutasteride capsules at first just to gauge side effects, im taking 0.5mg dutasteride with 1mg finasteride, i plan on doing this for 30 days until my dutasteride runs out then just using dutasteride, takes a while for dutasteride to build up in the system. I haven't experienced any side-effects other than the same ones i get on finasteride.

When I switched over I lost hair that regrew later. Finasteride has a short half life (just a few hours) whereas Dutasteride has to build up over a months or so. I guess there is a window of a few weeks where nothing works...just an educated guess

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on Avodart for 6 months. Shedding like an absolute mofo. But my gf inspected my scalp this week and she said there's tons of little hairs growing through. Just wish the shedding would slowdown!

MRKA

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on Avodart for 6 months. Shedding like an absolute mofo. But my gf inspected my scalp this week and she said there's tons of little hairs growing through. Just wish the shedding would slowdown!

Don't give up...in 6 months all will be good.
If you try to use Trinov or something else CONTINUE with Avodart.
Do not replace it !!

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cool, I'm looking for something else to combine with Avodart. Not sure what. Maybe RU? The place linked at the top of this forum sells pre-mixed formulas but no idea how reliable they are. Also, there's something homemade called Zic (or super zic?)

Really don't want to go down the Minoxidil route.

Not heard of Trinov before. Worth looking into?

MRKA

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cool, I'm looking for something else to combine with Avodart. Not sure what. Maybe RU? The place linked at the top of this forum sells pre-mixed formulas but no idea how reliable they are. Also, there's something homemade called Zic (or super zic?)

Really don't want to go down the Minoxidil route.

Not heard of Trinov before. Worth looking into?

Google Trinov Fidia. It is also called the Brotzu lotion. Lots of controversy and speculation surrounds that product. To be released in December. I will be using it in addition to Avodart. Maybe its beneficial. If not I wasted a few Euros.

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Google Trinov Fidia. It is also called the Brotzu lotion. Lots of controversy and speculation surrounds that product. To be released in December. I will be using it in addition to Avodart. Maybe its beneficial. If not I wasted a few Euros.

Blimey, I really don't pay much attention to the "future treatments" section in the forum, haha! Yeah, seems very divisive between people thinking it's a scam and those holding high hopes. Is there an official outlet for the stuff? Also, that Shiseido stuff sounds promising - although no sign of a launch date.

dhtbaldy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm really not convinced Dutasteride helps a whole lot more and there is more risk of gyno or limp dick. I've been on finasteride for almost 10 years and it's served me well except the hairline has gradually thinned.

MRKA

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can order online. On follicle thought was a link posted.
I am sure that Fidia will provide details before release.
As for me...I drive down 50km on the motorway and buy direct in an Italian pharmacy.

MRKA

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm really not convinced Dutasteride helps a whole lot more and there is more risk of gyno or limp dick. I've been on finasteride for almost 10 years and it's served me well except the hairline has gradually thinned.

I guess every body reacts differently. Finasteride suddenly lost efficacy. I was glad that I was able to obtain Avodart. Side effects not that I noticed. Being one of the majority that does ton experience any...fingers crossed.
Having said that...if Sisheido is the big game changer one day, I will go for it. Not keen of using medication until I bite the dust.