Documentary: Science of Sex Appeal (burden for unaesthetic)

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Ori83 said:
I think this "article" (which isnt science at all) adds some good points too

http://uk.askmen.com/dating/dating_advi ... nning.html

eventually the "ugly"/average looking guys get screwed over the most, at their 20's when women chose the better looking lads and at their 30's when womens' own looks fading they will settle down with the average guys. so if he is lucky he will have a few girls before he is married... the funny part here, is that though we live in a so called "modern world", i dont think EVER in history of mankind men had so little power in their hands.

You know I think this is the reason behind the body issues of men, the increasing obsession with BF%, with muscularity.

Pacman

Reaction score
CaptainForehead said:
Ori83 said:
I think this "article" (which isnt science at all) adds some good points too

http://uk.askmen.com/dating/dating_advi ... nning.html

eventually the "ugly"/average looking guys get screwed over the most, at their 20's when women chose the better looking lads and at their 30's when womens' own looks fading they will settle down with the average guys. so if he is lucky he will have a few girls before he is married... the funny part here, is that though we live in a so called "modern world", i dont think EVER in history of mankind men had so little power in their hands.

You know I think this is the reason behind the body issues of men, the increasing obsession with BF%, with muscularity.

Yeah, its a worrying trend. It seems every tom dick and harry are getting into shape these days, I'm going to have to follow suit soon enough as it will become a kind of benchmark.

But at the same time, for all the guys obsessed with their image, their have to be a thousand more fat f*** slobs who dont give a f*** about their image so it equals out.

I really want to start paying better attention to my body/health to be honest. I want to get rid of my beer belly and get into decent shape whilst my hair is receeding so at least I will have something to take pride in whilst the hairloss gets worse.

Slim and toned is definitely my goal though. Ive always though being really bulky looks ugly and unnatural but hey every man for himself.

Danik0226

Reaction score
Balding might knock someone down a notch in looks, but I think a lot of you are over-exaggerating to the point of self pity. A guy can still remain attractive by staying in very good shape. Then again, there is usually nothing worse than a bald fat guy or a bald skinny guy. If you let yourself go in either direction then it only makes things worse. I'm a Norwood 2 or so with some diffuse thinning. I'm at a stage where I feel I'm losing ground with the Big 3, but if I were to say I'm balding most people would say I'm crazy. Over the summer I have used a #1 guard or #2 guard to see how it would look. Was it my preferred style? No, but it didn't necessarily look bad either. Pulling off a shaved head has a lot to do with the overall figure of the individual as well.

I've had recession for a while now, but the diffuse thinning didn't really come about until sun poisoning a year ago. I felt like I lost a bit of hair from that, and possibly the prednisone that was used to treat it. While I certainly cannot stand the fact that my hair may eventually go before science can treat it, I'm staying in shape and doing what I can to improve my life. There is really no other option.

superfrankie

Established Member
Reaction score
Danik0226 said:
There is usually nothing worse than a bald fat guy or a bald skinny guy. If you let yourself go in either direction then it only makes things worse.

:agree:

Danik0226 said:
While I certainly cannot stand the fact that my hair may eventually go before science can treat it, I'm staying in shape and doing what I can to improve my life. There is really no other option.

:bravo:

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
I watched the whole documentary on the Discovery channel a while back. From what I can remember from it, baldness is an "undesirable" trait for men to have. It even went so far as to explain how women see men with such "inferior" traits on a subconcious level that is driven by their innate natural physiological instincts. There is a lot of scientific truth to fact that most women see guys with more severe male pattern baldness as genetically inferior. In essence, a bald guy has either 1, 2, or 3 strikes against him (depending on a woman's tastes) right off the bat, before he even says one word to her. In other words, he's already been rejected -at least partially by most women's standards- before he has any chance to win her over with "confidence, charm, attitude, etc..."

Bullshit. Baldness is a dominant trait so in the future everyone will be cue bald. We are ahead of our times, genetically marvelous. :punk:

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
dudemon is that section relating to baldness in that YT video somewhere?

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
dudemon said:
I watched the whole documentary on the Discovery channel a while back. From what I can remember from it, baldness is an "undesirable" trait for men to have. It even went so far as to explain how women see men with such "inferior" traits on a subconcious level that is driven by their innate natural physiological instincts. There is a lot of scientific truth to fact that most women see guys with more severe male pattern baldness as genetically inferior. In essence, a bald guy has either 1, 2, or 3 strikes against him (depending on a woman's tastes) right off the bat, before he even says one word to her. In other words, he's already been rejected -at least partially by most women's standards- before he has any chance to win her over with "confidence, charm, attitude, etc..."

You must be thinking for some different documentary, Baldness is not even mentioned in this one.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
can you link the documentary you saw or remember the exact title, i would like some solid concrete evidence.

superfrankie

Established Member
Reaction score
I think a good physique can be more important to women than having just hair, genetically wise. Good physique = protection and hair = youthfulness. Which is the most important trait? I think the first one but not if you are a girl though.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Baldness is not in that one either.

And how the heck did the guy remain still and aroused and inserted for 12 minutes?

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
you dont need a documentary to know this..... ppffff :shakehead:

T

TravisB

And again, no bald guy in there. I wonder how would they score a decent looking bald guy, if they scored handsome NW1 only 5.4?

EDIT: ah, I see now, they were rated when they were wearing their caps, so they didn't see their hair. I wonder now how would chicks rate the guys if they've seen their hair.

Also, watch the part three, and look at the guy with 2 on his cap. No girl wanted him, but he looks like one of the best guys out there :D definitely better than guy with 10. This shows how the stupid b*tches were fooled by his "status". You can translate it for money or social status. Let's say in real life guy with 10 has more money and is more powerful than guy with 2. Despite looking uglier that guy with 2 (less money and power), most chicks will prefer guy with 10 (more money and power).

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
http://uktv.co.uk/really/item/aid/626976

I watched this Doctor about a 26yo NW5 sufferer on UK tv the other night.

They got this guy to post two pictures on the Hot or Not website. One with a hairpiece covering his NW5 and giving him a full head of hair again & another pic where he was shaved slick bald.

The hairpiece picture scored 4.2 while the the slick bald picture scored 8.9.

Everyone mocks the shaved look on this forum, but if you go to any girls forum online, the evidence clearly suggests they much prefer this look to a dodgy looking rug or grown out receded, diffused hair, which suggests a man is trying to hide something and implies a lack of confidence and status.

Girls are primarily interested in status, not aesthetic beauty, ugly girls have it a lot worse off than bald men.

Pacman

Reaction score
Primo said:

They got this guy to post two pictures on the Hot or Not website. One with a hairpiece covering his NW5 and giving him a full head of hair again & another pic where he was shaved slick bald.

Everyone mocks the shaved look on this forum, but if you go to any girls forum online, the evidence clearly suggests they much prefer this look to a dodgy looking rug or grown out receded, diffused hair, which suggests a man is trying to hide something and implies a lack of confidence and status.

Girls are primarily interested in status, not aesthetic beauty, ugly girls have it a lot worse off than bald men.

Hmm..Its hard to generalize, it really is. I wish it were the case that we would all look magically fine bald but I don't think it is.

Thats great that the guy got better ratings and you would have thought those kinda internet places would be the worst for bald guys but hey.

What ethnicity was he? How old was he? How many votes did he get?

I don't think we can really draw that much from this study.

But I do agree that once your hairloss gets to a point, trying to cover it up is way worse.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Primo said:

Yeah but if I remember correctly the wig photo was miserable looking whilst he was smiling in the bald pic and it could be faked results because whilst the start was showing how negativley it effects people and had plenty of situations proving this like when he applied to be in a band, when people judged his age to be way older than it was and the negative press about Jude Laws hair. Then suddenly the whole end of the show was just like 'yeah theres no need to worry just shave it and life will be wonderful, women dont care at all.' :thumbdown2:

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
However, some poor men (about three in ten) are already totally bald by the time they reach their thirties

is this true, so by 35 30% of men are bald?

if that's soo that would be good for me to know.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:

Yeah but if I remember correctly the wig photo was miserable looking whilst he was smiling in the bald pic and it could be faked results because whilst the start was showing how negativley it effects people and had plenty of situations proving this like when he applied to be in a band, when people judged his age to be way older than it was and the negative press about Jude Laws hair. Then suddenly the whole end of the show was just like 'yeah theres no need to worry just shave it and life will be wonderful, women dont care at all.' :thumbdown2:

I don't remember him smiling in the bald pic, if anything I thought the bald pic would get a worse reception because the lighting was so bad and he was looking downwards.

I understand your cynicism, but I don't think such a frank and honest programme would bother faking results.

This guy was putting his *** on the line in public taking ridicule from female gossip column writers and random members of the public who were telling him he looked 15 years older with his NW5.

He did the speed dating thing and you could see clearly that some of the girls did have an objection to the baldness, but in all honesty, you can't really expect a girl to find a grown out NW5 attractive-looking on a 26yo man.

The best course of action for him was obviously to buzz it down, this is what he did and he got a much more positive reaction from the women. It made him look about 10years younger... oh and for the record he was also a clean shaven, pale looking 26 yo caucasian, not a black man or a beard-compensator or any of those other "cheating" NWs that HPM likes to moan about :woot:

I'm not saying everyone should shave it off (although I for one, certainly will be when I progress past this NW3) or that it's an easy decision that anyone should feel comfortable with, but it's clear from numerous girls forums, articles and programmes like this, that they much prefer the shaved look to the grown out receded look. It may not look pretty, but it exudes strength, confidence and masculinity, which are equally attractive to a female.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
superfrankie said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1daC6cpzzo

0:56 - how da f*ck can that girl be rated average, 4.9?

1:05 - If that guy is rated 5.4 with a perfect NW1 hairline, then I´m a -5.4 Seriously, no chick would say no to him. 9 out of 10 guys arent even half as attractive as him.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. So many low ratings. I mean the 1:05 is like a model. And he was rated average????

EDIT: ah, I see now, they were rated when they were wearing their caps, so they didn't see their hair.
Damn, so no hair makes one go from model looking to just average :whistle:

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
BEARD COMPENSATOR!!!

well id be surpised if he didnt look sh*t from a istance, a lot of the time i look OK bald at face to face interaction, but from a distance my head lights up like a lightbulb and its still a PITA.

and still form side and back view baldness is not so great.

i wonder why he didnt go for the hairpiece option?

anyway i remeber watching some parts to it.

at the end of the day your better off with the hairpiece IMO.

JUST for age.

with a FHOH and your
25 you look 25
30 you look 30
35 you look 30
40 look 35
45 look 40

etc. so just for age and natural frame to face i recomend a hairpiece.