Documentary: Science of Sex Appeal (burden for unaesthetic)

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
I watched the documentary and I didn't learn anything new. It was also full of contradictions...

A list of contradictions:
1. Male attractions is about looks, hold on, it's actually more about status.
2. Humans are not meant to be monogamous, but then we have a hormone that makes us monogamous.
3. Attraction is in our genes. No. it's actually a choice.

Even scientists can't decide what makes us attractive.

IMO, a successful man is more likely to be successful with women than a guy with an above average looks.

I used to know a bald guy who had a bit of spare cash, and he'd always do something and be very social so that he could meet new girls and sleep with them, it worked. Even I got laid thanks to him. A good looking guy with no spare cash, can't afford to do all those things. (I'm talking about 30+ age group, most 20+ guys don't have spare cash anyway)

On the other hand, I knew a very good looking gay guy, he used to hang around with us and the amount of drunk girls trying to get him into bed was just incredible.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
f***, your lucky man.

at 19 people were commenting on my thinning front saying "you're going bald mate"

those comments hurt like a knife to my heart.

maybe at 25 i could handle it, but 19 was terrible.

i wish i was like you and kept a full mame until 22 or whenever it started to go.

may i ask when you started to show signs and at what age were you bald?

triplethreat

Reaction score
all these theories are bullsh*t!! u cant predict what a woman likes just like you cant with a man... i see good looking guys with average women all the time and vice versa. Yes in majority hair helps...no doubt. but putting percentages and numbers outa ten on things is rdicolous!

s.a.f

Reaction score
virtuality said:
I watched the documentary and I didn't learn anything new. It was also full of contradictions...

A list of contradictions:
1. Male attractions is about looks, hold on, it's actually more about status.
2. Humans are not meant to be monogamous, but then we have a hormone that makes us monogamous.
3. Attraction is in our genes. No. it's actually a choice.

Even scientists can't decide what makes us attractive.

IMO, a successful man is more likely to be successful with women than a guy with an above average looks.

I used to know a bald guy who had a bit of spare cash, and he'd always do something and be very social so that he could meet new girls and sleep with them, it worked. Even I got laid thanks to him. A good looking guy with no spare cash, can't afford to do all those things. (I'm talking about 30+ age group, most 20+ guys don't have spare cash anyway)

On the other hand, I knew a very good looking gay guy, he used to hang around with us and the amount of drunk girls trying to get him into bed was just incredible.

Dont think women are really any different to men. Yes they may choose to settle down with a rich/successful man but when it comes to sheer sexual attraction they are just as looks orientated as us men. I'd rather be a good looking guy that women just wanted to f0ck than a rich guy they wanted to marry because of his possesions. Take away those possesions and then what?

As the video said its a natural instinct to want to procreate with the strongest healthiest genes. This is something thats emerged over millions of years of human evolution (unless you believe the religious theory :whistle: )

s.a.f

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
I found my first drivers license the other day. That is me at 21. And that's not a mullet in the back it's just the shadow.

Unbelievable!! :shock:
Your hair was way better than mine and yet you lost it even quicker than me.

T

TravisB

Silent assassin, true. When I look at some of my friends with full heads of hair, I wonder if they will ever go bald. But if a guy with hair like UCman went bald, then everything is possible :thumbdown2:

superfrankie

Established Member
Reaction score
virtuality said:
3. Attraction is in our genes. No. it's actually a choice

Its not a choice. If it was you could control it whenever you like, which you cant. You cant just be attracted to someone and then stop being attracted to that person by will.

The same goes for unattractive people. No amount of willpower can make you feel attraction for those people.

superfrankie

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Dont think women are really any different to men. Yes they may choose to settle down with a rich/successful man but when it comes to sheer sexual attraction they are just as looks orientated as us men. I'd rather be a good looking guy that women just wanted to f0ck than a rich guy they wanted to marry because of his possesions. Take away those possesions and then what?

Im so with you on this one. Even the most ungifted person on earth deep down knows that when a girl is being with a bad looking man with economic power, its not authentic attraction. Only to the money he possesses. Deep down these girls want to ride another man´s lalalala.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
I found my first drivers license the other day. That is me at 21. And that's not a mullet in the back it's just the shadow.

Damn! You must have been getting hit on constantly!!!

BTW, why do you care UC man? You are married, what does it matter how other people perceive you (other than your wife). Unless you are not happy with her, or planning on cheating or....

s.a.f

Reaction score
CaptainForehead said:
why do you care UC man? You are married, what does it matter how other people perceive you (other than your wife). Unless you are not happy with her, or planning on cheating or....

Lol what does that matter, people still want to look and feel good about themselves. Otherwise every person who got married would automaticly just let themselves go completley and look like a tramp.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
I assumed UC Man's wife is OK with his hairloss and finds him attractive. If she did not find him attractive, it would be a different matter.

Pacman

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
CaptainForehead said:
why do you care UC man? You are married, what does it matter how other people perceive you (other than your wife). Unless you are not happy with her, or planning on cheating or....

Lol what does that matter, people still want to look and feel good about themselves. Otherwise every person who got married would automaticly just let themselves go completley and look like a tramp.

I thought UC Man was divorced? As much as I like the guy for bringing the realness here at the sametime I hope I never have a mentality as tragic as his when I get older.

But yeah, I hate it when people say, you shouldn't care what people think of you etc it doesnt matter etc. IT f*****g DOES MATTER! I mean there is a middle way but we all want to present ourselves well and not be seen as an outcast, thats just basic human instinct.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:

Well at least you could enjoy having great hair in early twenties. I was NW3 at 19 and a crappu hair texture :sobbing:

I imagine having hair like yours and then lose it so quick must be painful.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
superfrankie said:
virtuality said:
3. Attraction is in our genes. No. it's actually a choice

Its not a choice. If it was you could control it whenever you like, which you cant. You cant just be attracted to someone and then stop being attracted to that person by will.

The same goes for unattractive people. No amount of willpower can make you feel attraction for those people.

I presume you didn't watch the whole thing???

The point made at the end is that human attraction is more about choice than an animal instinct. I'll quote what the documentary said: "We did not evolve that huge brain for nothing, we make choices about who we want to be with".

IMO, we have a check list and whoever ticks more boxes is the chosen partner.

The human psychology isn't that simple, we have lots of social conditioning that governs out decisions, it's not purely about hormones and genetics.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:

As the video said its a natural instinct to want to procreate with the strongest healthiest genes. This is something thats emerged over millions of years of human evolution (unless you believe the religious theory :whistle: )

I agree and disagree at the same time.

Both being successful and being goodlooking are human attributes. When choosing a mate both these attributes will have a certain weight, some may give more importance to being successful and some may choose good looking. Unfortunately, in our society we associate success, ie strong personality or intelligence, with money or status.

As the documentary says, women have ONE shot, they don't have the luxury to play around as much as men do, so they want the best possible gene and that's not necessarily the good looking gene. Eg, when the looks were paired with the professions, the female perception of the men changed drastically. An average looking executive has better chances than an unemployed good looking guy.

Also, in my experience the number of one night stands with complete strangers is not that high. Even in one night stands, both partners usually have something in common, ie they are at a party of a common friend or whatever and the personality somewhat comes into play. I don't believe most women would sleep with a complete stranger without getting to trust him. I don't say it doesn't happen, but it's not as common. (I have had two one night stands with complete strangers, but in both cases we had something in common, ie she's seen me around and she wanted to get to know me, or she knew the people I was out with and it took me 2 mins to earn her trust)

Pacman

Reaction score
I dread how hard its going to be women-wise once I lose my hair. Of course, it may pan out a lot better than expected - and I guess a lot of that does come down to me. But worst case scenario, I will no longer be able to have chances with pretty women, it will be plain and average at best. But I won't really be attracted to them so it will be painful. Either accept a girl you don't really find that physically attractive or go lonely. Either way it sucks.

Jeez. Sometimes I think its healthy to stop caring all the time. Life is one big rat race. As a balding guy, its just constant stress. It gets so tiring. Just another thing to worry about.

s.a.f

Reaction score
virtuality said:
s.a.f said:

I agree and disagree at the same time.

Both being successful and being goodlooking are human attributes. When choosing a mate both these attributes will have a certain weight, some may give more importance to being successful and some may choose good looking. Unfortunately, in our society we associate success, ie strong personality or intelligence, with money or status.

As the documentary says, women have ONE shot, they don't have the luxury to play around as much as men do, so they want the best possible gene and that's not necessarily the good looking gene. Eg, when the looks were paired with the professions, the female perception of the men changed drastically. An average looking executive has better chances than an unemployed good looking guy.

It depends if you're talking about attraction or marriage. Most 18 - 25 yr olds will choose the good looking guy every time, (and they'll be looking for guys aged up into their 30's). Its only when they get older and start to think about settling down that they will bring the other factors into consideration.
And even then the good looking guy still gets the head start he will will attract their interest first and from then on he has to have other faults in order to get rejected whilst the bad looking guy has to make the effort to bring forward his other 'strengths'.

But these days women pretty much want the whole package.

But one other point to bring up is that the good looking guy is far more likely to have developed his 'game' over the years through experience, whilst the bad looking one will be inexperienced.

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think this "article" (which isnt science at all) adds some good points too

http://uk.askmen.com/dating/dating_advi ... nning.html

eventually the "ugly"/average looking guys get screwed over the most, at their 20's when women chose the better looking lads and at their 30's when womens' own looks fading they will settle down with the average guys. so if he is lucky he will have a few girls before he is married... the funny part here, is that though we live in a so called "modern world", i dont think EVER in history of mankind men had so little power in their hands.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
It depends if you're talking about attraction or marriage. Most 18 - 25 yr olds will choose the good looking guy every time, (and they'll be looking for guys aged up into their 30's). Its only when they get older and start to think about settling down that they will bring the other factors into consideration.

Again, this is not strictly true. I think you underestimate the young girls. They do have standards too :whistle: