Do Non-responders Just Have Really High Dht ?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
What about all the men that take Proscar at 5mg and Avodart for the rest of their life? They seem fine.

Five milligrams? That would definitely give guys ED.

One milligram is probably safe. More than that is probably unknown (or unreported?)

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Five milligrams? That would definitely give guys ED.

One milligram is probably safe. More than that is probably unknown (or unreported?)
I was referring to the men that take that for an enlarged prostate not hair loss.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
you are REALLy old...2016?

Yes, I am kind of old.

But don't just take my word for it.

When you look at my real pictures, how old do you think I am?

dinasaur.jpg

Last edited:

afferd

Reaction score
look at the 10 years rossi study

"Perhaps the most important finding is that a patient's response to finasteride after the first year of treatment can be an indicator of the patient’s success with the drug in the long-term" - well I guess that means I'm sh*t outta luck :D - might try RU next.​

Maybe there is a way that you can test what your DHT levels are in your dermal papilla?

Would be great in an ideal world, but I doubt that's going to happen - it took me long enough to find a doctor to write me a prescription for a regular DHT blood test.​

afferd

Reaction score
I think non responders just have very androgen sensitive receptors and there may be auto immune factors affecting you as well. I have never responded well to finasteride. Too bad there is no way to block each receptor cell 100 per cent from DHT without any side effects.

Regarding auto immune factors, do you have a "go to list" that you normally recommend people look through, starting with most probable (even if just based on your experience).

Also did you ever get DHT tests you could share?​

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

Regarding auto immune factors, do you have a "go to list" that you normally recommend people look through, starting with most probable (even if just based on your experience).

Also did you ever get DHT tests you could share?​
Never had my DHT tested. Had testosterone tested while on finasteride and it was always in the normal range. Also did the HairDx genetic testing which is no longer available and it said genetically I would be a poor responder to finasteride. The test also stated I had the gene for balding. That is what convinced my primary care doctor for me to continue to take finasteride.

Most common autoimmune would be Hashimoto's thyroiditis which may cause alopecia areata. According to Dr Proctor, he feels hair loss can have some type of autoimmune component to it. That is why Proxiphen treats hair loss at all different angles. I am thinking when DHT attacks a hair follicle and cause fibrosis and the hair becomes a vellus hair, is the autoimmune process to which he might be referring. Here is an example of the body attacking its own hair follicle. Too bad this happens in the first place.

afferd

Reaction score
@DoctorHouse - hairdx would be great if it was still available, but I think at the price it would have been an expensive way to confirm what I already know - I'm balding (and it's in my genes).

One thing that would have been very interesting though is their probability of being a responder to finasteride. What do you think they were tapping into to produce such a probability?

Also I saw a post of yours from 2010 saying you wouldn't try RU because it's not regulated. Has your opinion on that changed since so many more people have been using it now?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
@DoctorHouse - hairdx would be great if it was still available, but I think at the price it would have been an expensive way to confirm what I already know - I'm balding (and it's in my genes).

One thing that would have been very interesting though is their probability of being a responder to finasteride. What do you think they were tapping into to produce such a probability?

Also I saw a post of yours from 2010 saying you wouldn't try RU because it's not regulated. Has your opinion on that changed since so many more people have been using it now?
I would not try RU for the same reason as before. No regulations and most importantly I have not seen any real impressive results from it. According to El duterino (or something like that) who is an RU guru, he said RU will not regrow hair but help you maintain. To me, that is nothing special since Propecia does the same. I did an experiment and stopped using my Proxiphen for a good while. I starting to lose ground again. Back on it. Looking forward to hearing about Follica's new treatment tomorrow. That will be my next step for treatment if I am a candidate and I like what I hear.

wannamyhairback

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i am not sure for the non responder . i think that if you have aggressive gene and don't respond during the first year of treatment you can lose way more than 1 nrowood in 5 years
Hey

Do you have also high estrgoen , i saw many of your posts and looks like we have the same problem. My Dht level is not so high but i hit the baseline after an amazing regrowth. I think the higher amount of estrgoen made me to reach this point. How did you solve your gyno issue? looks like i get this sh*t, even i didnt change my propecia intake, it started losing its effectiveness while Telogen Effluvium reason being high estradiol i guess. i will take a propecia break to see how things go. in another post i saw one guy in the same situation took aromatese inhibitor called clomid and proviron and was against the idea of arimidex as it made him to shed like a b**ch. i have the same feelings about arimidex so stopped using it after 1 week

shookwun

Reaction score
Non respondents are quite opposite, low DHT and high receptor sensitivity at the scalp.

Suppress the little DHT they have, and you still have baldness ontop of my myriad of potential side effects.

People that respond the best have moderate-high DHT and moderate scalp receptor sensitivity.

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Non respondents are quite opposite, low DHT and high receptor sensitivity at the scalp.

Suppress the little DHT they have, and you still have baldness ontop of my myriad of potential side effects.

People that respond the best have moderate-high DHT and moderate scalp receptor sensitivity.

My hairloss is slow, very slow, sometimes I don't lose ground for YEARS. No treatments. Took 10 years to reach nw3

I wonder if this means my receptors are good but DHT is high

shookwun

Reaction score
My hairloss is slow, very slow, sometimes I don't lose ground for YEARS. No treatments. Took 10 years to reach nw3

I wonder if this means my receptors are good but DHT is high
could very well be.

I have very high DHT and elevated tesosterone levels from steroids.

Facial hair, body hairs grows so god damn fast

Scalp sensitivity is on the low side though, been balding since I was 16. the onset was rapid, but diminished.

stump

Established Member
Reaction score
could very well be.

I have very high DHT and elevated tesosterone levels from steroids.

Facial hair, body hairs grows so god damn fast

Scalp sensitivity is on the low side though, been balding since I was 16. the onset was rapid, but diminished.

Why are you on steroids?

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have high DHT and it is chronic, the chances are finasteride/dutasteride are not going to work for you. Think about it like this, those drugs act as antagonists to block those AR-1 or AR-2 receptors, it does not stop your body from producing the DHT. The binding of these antagonists is not 100% and even large doses can allow DHT to bind to the receptors. Thats why people taking finasteride will most often see a maintenance of hair but over a long term scale, say 10-15 years, there will still be a decline in hair.

Chronic high DHT cannot be cured by blocking the receptors, it would just cause high blood serum DHT as opposed to bound-DHT.

I think that high DHT is hormonal imbalance, which is characterised by other symptoms as well like having a low threshold temper, ability to get angry or heated easily. If you think that might be you, there are some things that can HELP. In my personal case, I know that sometimes I can be quick to have mood changes and get heated quite quickly if someone is being aggressive towards me - I started using Ashwangandha about 4 months ago and its really helped with my mood and generally been a good supplement for me. You might want to research it. Not saying it will cure your hair loss but there is benefits to this natural supplement.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score

So Shook (or anyone who wants to chime in really), would say that people who take finasteride and have low DHT are the most likely to get sides? I just ask because I think I had low DHT (e.g., skinny fat, fat goes to thighs, more reserved personality wise, etc) and I haven't had any sides whatsoever. If that is that case maybe I'm really just in the average DHT range; I'm probably going to get it tested soon for kicks.

Although I did suffered from extreme face and body acne when I was in my teenage years (and still suffer from body acne) which I heard can be a sign of high DHT?

shookwun

Reaction score
So Shook (or anyone who wants to chime in really), would say that people who take finasteride and have low DHT are the most likely to get sides? I just ask because I think I had low DHT (e.g., skinny fat, fat goes to thighs, more reserved personality wise, etc) and I haven't had any sides whatsoever. If that is that case maybe I'm really just in the average DHT range; I'm probably going to get it tested soon for kicks.

Although I did suffered from extreme face and body acne when I was in my teenage years (and still suffer from body acne) which I heard can be a sign of high DHT?

Couldn’t it be said that some people do no need so much DHT inhibition as others to fight balding?

I think that the response to DHT blockers is not proportional to the speed of hair loss in many people. I always use the analogy of a tug of war: the genes for hair loss pulling on one side and the DHT inhibitors pulling on the other side. The strength of the pull determines the effectiveness of the drug. The blocking effect is fixed while the pull for hair loss varies with your genetic makeup.

Dr rassman

hollow11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As a 20 yr old , planning on going on fina, this thread is quite upsetting, lol