Dht - Continuously Responsible For Mental Health And Fat Burning

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's an article I read online, in case anybody thinks DHT is useless. I tried to bold some easier to read, significant points.

First off, a basic explanation of DHT (Dihydrotestosterone); it is an androgen (male sex hormone), like Testosterone, which rather than promoting the growth of muscle mass directly (tissue-acting), it acts via intracellular (in the cell) mechanisms to increase strength and metabolism. DHT is not very anabolic, but it is Androgenic, and thus meaning, it promotes masculine characteristics (such as a deeper voice, and growth of facial hair, body hair etc) (1). DHT has a bad rap, since it has been claimed to cause an enlarged prostate, but if you follow the source, most of the studies saying this are linked to pharmaceutical promotion of their anti-prostate, anti-Male drug, Finasteride (Propecia) and Dustasteride(2) (3). DHT has also been claimed to cause your hair follicles to become thin, and your hair - subsequently falls out. No. Just No. DHT has been implicated as a factor at most, more studies show that more specifically it is Zinc deficiency AND genetics that provoke male pattern baldness (4)(5). Although Zinc deficiency causes the rise of DHT levels, it also causes increases in prolactin, and estrogen, thus the real problem here could have to do with either of those hormones. Just to clarify, Anti-ESTROGEN drugs have been used recently to treat prostate enlargement (BPH), and they are very successful, with less side-effects(6) (7) ( (9). So if they were wrong about DHT causing prostate enlargement, maybe they were wrong about DHT and hair loss too.

DHT - HOW IT AFFECTS THE BRAIN - AND NERVOUS SYSTEM

But anyway, we got carried away. Let's go on to discuss DHT's effects in the Brain. DHT has pronounced effects on neurochemistry (it affects neurotransmitters in the brain). DHT has been shown to increase circulating epinephrine levels (adrenaline), this can cause anxiety in predisposed individuals, however, most of the time, this is not the case, since DHT also increases GABA activity in the brain, which is relaxing (10) (11) (12). So in other words, DHT should promote A focused, calm burst of energy, which is what many users of DHT-based steroids, report as the "alpha-male" feeling (13) (14). Dihydrotestosterone increase central and nervous system energy production by increasing not just adrenaline, but cyclic AMP (15). This molecule increase thermogenesis (fat-burning and heat production)(16). Cyclic AMP facilitates the conversion of TSH thyroid hormone, to T4, a more potent thyroid hormone, thus, indirectly, DHT increases thyroid function (by increasing cyclic AMP) (17).

So seeing all this, DHT definitely acts as a nervous system stimulant, and a metabolic "probe", it also increases GABA. Second to this though, it could indirectly decrease serotonin or serotonin receptors; since DHT antagonizes estrogen activity, and estrogen helps maintain the expression of serotonin receptors in the brain(18) (19). This is also consistent with DHT being shown to stop estrogen induced prolactin release(20). This is part of the reason behind using DHT Gel to treat gynecomasita. Clearly DHT has anti-depressant effects, since Finasteride causes depression (21) and also based on the above mentioned activity of DHT in the brain. It gives energy, it gives focus, it gives aggression.

DHT also improves spatial working memory(22), according to some studies, by altering NMDA-receptors(23) (namely increasing), and by improving Calcium-induced acetylcholine release & function in the hippocampus(24)(25); a very important area of the brain involved in memory formation and spatial (directional) memory.

DHT also decreases glutamate levels and excitory outputs through other mechanisms (26) (27) (28).

Finally, Dihydrotestosterone, or it's metabolite 3-alpha-Diol; downregulate alpha-adrenergic receptor distribution, leading to more inhibitory adrenergic (adrenaline influence)(29) (30) (31). For those who don't know, adrenaline can activate an 'alpha receptor' - which stimulates the nervous system, vasoconstricting blood vessels and arteries, raising blood pressure, or it can activate a beta-adrenergic receptor, generally vasodilating artieries, but yet, increasing heart contractile force. This all might just be another result or a reflection of what is mentioned above, that DHT increases epinephrine, GABA, and cyclic AMP. However, in a separate study, Testosterone (without specificity), had upregulated alpha-1-receptors to protect the heart against ischemia(32). Is this an effect of Testosterone or it's metabolites though. Likely, it doesn't matter, it was probably case coincidental, but may indicate that if blood pressure falls too low, Testosterone can increase it to maintain homeostasis.

In yet another study however, DHT has been shown to increase alpha-1-adrenergic expression, whereas Estrogen decreased the expression/density(33). This again reflects the need for DHT and Estrogen to be kept in balance, as both promote vasodilation through different pathways, however, since Alpha-1-receptors are incredibly potent Vasoconstrictors, DHT + an OVERALL deficiency in nitric oxide may actually promote high blood pressure, especially in coordination with estrogen deficiency. Interestingly, Alpha-1-receptor activation may increase serotonin activity at the 5-HT1A receptor(34)(35), this is an auto-receptor that ironically seems to possess anxiolytic (serotonin-typical) effects. 5-HT1A activation has shown to help social anxiety disorder, but worsen anticipation anxieties(36)(37). In another study, DHT/Androgens also facilitated serotonin 5-HT1A/1B agonist-decreases in aggression, which is controversial, although it appears that estrogen allows for intermale aggression by downregulating serotonin 5-HT1A/1B activity(38)(39). Thus DHT's only pro-aggressive propertly lies in it's adrenaline promoting effect, and not with serotonin.

So DHT via multiple pathways increases nervous system strength, DHT increases epinephrine levels, decreases prolactin (assuming you have enough dopamine production as well), increases GABA, may decrease serotonin and serotonin receptors. All-round this means DHT has positive effects on your chemistry and nerve cells. By reducing prolactin, and estrogen, and subsequently serotonin, and also regulating catecholamines, by this, DHT can definitely increase libido, and alleviate sexual anxiety in most individuals by increasing GABA. DHT is key to many of Testosterone's brain benefits. Keep in mind though, despite positive effects on brain chemistry, this still doesn't give an excuse to OD on aromatase inhibitors, likely, because you need a little bit of estrogen (not much at all), to promote nNOS (neuronal nitric oxide synthase) production. So DHT serves as a great compliment to a little bit of brain estradiol, and a great ratio of DHT to estrogen means optimal sex drive, stamina, charisma and general masculinity.

Let's summarize in Bullets Here.

DHT regulates alpha and beta adrenergic receptors. DHT may increase alpha-1-receptor density. DHT may decrease glutamate activity and increases mGLU7 expression (which increases GABA release) DHT increases serotonin 5-HT1A receptor density by influencing A1-Adr.Receptors. DHT promotes serotonin 5-HT1A/1B activity and may reduce aggression in the presence of serotonin. Although this may easily be over ridden by the pro-adrenergic effects of DHT. DHT increases beta-endorphin release by ^ 5-HT1A receptor indirect activation. DHT facilitates the release of Epinephrine (adrenaline). DHT increases cyclic AMP. DHT blocks estrogen-induced prolactin release. DHT reduces serotonin and serotonin receptors by inhibiting estrogen influence in the Brain. (but mainly acting to oppose 5-HT2A,2C and 5-HT4 receptors) DHT increases GABA and GABA-A (neurosteroid-specific) receptor expression. DHT increases NMDA-receptors in the Hippocampus. DHT increases Ca3 (Calcium) evoked Acetylcholine Function(AcH release). DHT increases nervous system strength and regulates blood pressure.

I'm not criticizing anyone's choice to use finasteride, but I do think everyone should be informed.

https://area1255.blogspot.com/2013/06/exclusive-what-how-of-dht.html

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Meh keep your DHT. Post puberty DHT did me way more harm than good. Completely rekt my mental and emotional health

More likely your diet and exercise habits are to blame. I still have to put in effort to actually go above 12% bodyfat. Also passed a very academically challenging program in the healthcare field while on this drug

We need less threads like this. The fear for finasteride scale on this forum is already way out of proportion with the actual risk of this drug. Plenty of horror stories for the hypochondriacs to feast on already

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
Meh keep your DHT. Post puberty DHT did me way more harm than good

More likely your diet and exercise habits are to blame. I still have to put in effort to actually go above 12% bodyfat. Also passed a very academically challenging program in the healthcare field while on this drug

We need less threads like this. The fear for finasteride scale on this forum is already way out of proportion with the actual risk of this drug. Plenty of horror stories for the hypochondriacs to feast on already
I think it can affect other people differently. Mainly the mental effects of DHT are on mood, not critical thinking or capacity to learn.
I also think how lean you can be without DHT depends on your body's levels of estrogen, how much higher they go on finasteride.

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
Meh keep your DHT. Post puberty DHT did me way more harm than good. Completely rekt my mental and emotional health

Believe me, if I could remove DHT only in my hair follicles I would. Personally I love DHT but I also have a thick, nice head of hair, which is why I'm on the forum.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it can affect other people differently. Mainly the mental effects of DHT are on mood, not critical thinking or capacity to learn.
I also think how lean you can be without DHT depends on your body's levels of estrogen, how much higher they go on finasteride.

For me, dht destroyed my mood. Made me depressed and sent me into a state in which I was always thinking about the deteriorating state of my hairline, it was always looming in my mind whatever else I was doing. I'm now doing much better emotionally with much more peace of mind, all thanks to finasteride as well as minoxidil

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
For me, dht destroyed my mood. Made me depressed and sent me into a state in which I was always thinking about the deteriorating state of my hairline, it was always looming in my mind whatever else I was doing. I'm now doing much better emotionally with much more peace of mind, all thanks to finasteride as well as minoxidil
I think we all should be envious of you're ability to get on without many sides. I wish it didn't cause hairloss! I think it has to do with the body sending DHT to heal and deal with inflammation... unfortunately this issue it happens in scalp issue. DHT just gets a bad name for being the eager beaver.

I do think you're wrong for saying threads like this need to be removed, all I'm doing is informing people what DHT does! It's up to them whether propecia is better or worse for them.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think we all should be envious of you're ability to get on without many sides. I wish it didn't cause hairloss! I think it has to do with the body sending DHT to heal and deal with inflammation... unfortunately this issue it happens in scalp issue. DHT just gets a bad name for being the eager beaver.

I do think you're wrong for saying threads like this need to be removed, all I'm doing is informing people what DHT does! It's up to them whether propecia is better or worse for them.

I feel strongly about this because of how positive my finasteride experience has been. And I'm not an anomaly, it's the typical response that is supported by the data. Meanwhile balding guys who are desperate and in a bad place come on here looking for a solution, see a thread like this, and immediately start looking for "alternative methods." They end up waisting years of what could have been fullheaded life

There are already plenty of failure stories on here. Let them read those

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel strongly about this because of how positive my finasteride experience has been. And I'm not an anomaly, it's the typical response that is supported by the data. Meanwhile balding guys who are desperate and in a bad place come on here looking for a solution, see a thread like this, and immediately start looking for "alternative methods." They end up waisting years of what could have been fullheaded life

There are already plenty of failure stories on here. Let them read those
Who is providing the data? The company selling it?
I'm just telling people what a hormone does, they have a right to know. They can test finasteride for themselves, it could be the first thing they do

abcdefg

Reaction score
Sometimes on paper things sound a lot worse then they end up being in reality. Raising estrogen might be good for hair not bad even if its bad for prostate issues. Also ignorance can be bliss just take the stuff, and watch your hair flourish without worrying about the things you cant really see. Many men have used finasteride safely for decades now. Nothing proves safety more then time, and time has shown its mostly safe.
You can also microdose to alter your hormone levels a lot less if you get worried about such large changes although the dose curve for finasteride means you need very tiny doses to do that.

Last edited:

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sometimes on paper things sound a lot worse then they end up being in reality. Raising estrogen might be good for hair not bad even if its bad for prostate issues. Also ignorance can be bliss just take the stuff, and watch your hair flourish without worrying about the things you cant really see. Many men have used finasteride safely for decades now. Nothing proves safety more then time, and time has shown its mostly safe.
You can also microdose to alter your hormone levels a lot less if you get worried about such large changes although the dose curve for finasteride means you need very tiny doses to do that.
That flat curve is why people get sides even with topical (though not liposomal, idk how much it changes things). I tried topical and felt sides, I followed a few people using Morr-F on reddit and they got sides.
Estrogen is scary stuff, basically increases cancer and has a bunch of bad sides for men when it's out of range.
- I mean, some people may very well not get sides. I don't think I'm one of them. I'm also tired of people saying DHT is useless, there's literally steroids that are synthesized DHT because it has metabolic and cognitive effects.

Topher

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I too have hard time putting on body fat, but I think we may be in a minority of 10% or so. For us limited dht would be good but if this were the case for everyone hairloss would be solved. Everyone would take dutastride and be a nw1. Most people have a hard time losing wieght, prone to b**ch tits, and could possibly create more estrogen than DHT.

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
I too have hard time putting on body fat, but I think we may be in a minority of 10% or so. For us limited dht would be good but if this were the case for everyone hairloss would be solved. Everyone would take dutastride and be a nw1. Most people have a hard time losing wieght, prone to b**ch tits, and could possibly create more estrogen than DHT.
DHT and estrogen balance each other out.
DHT also improves skeletal muscle and increases the amount of nuclei in a muscle cell (you can have more than one in muscle cells).
DHT is critical for muscle strength and efficiency, which is why if a powerlifter or olympic lifter took finasteride they probably would quickly become non-competitive. I appreciate your input

Finasterguy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don’t laser caps decrease DHT? How could they don’t have the same side effects as Finasteride? Just a question. I’ve been told the laser caps are an safe alternative.

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don’t laser caps decrease DHT? How could they don’t have the same side effects as Finasteride? Just a question. I’ve been told the laser caps are an safe alternative.
Just because someone tells you something doesn't mean it's true. However, if it really keeps DHT from affecting only the hair follicle then it won't have bad mental/physical effects. I suppose that could be the case since it's action is only at the skin. I haven't done any research on it

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Too much PFS bullshit, didnt read at all

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
You know what does adversely affect mental health? Going bald at a young age.

Even if lowering my DHT can possibly hurt my mental health in the long term, going bald this young will definitely hurt my mental health in the long term and short term. It is what it is when you lose the genetic lottery.

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
You know what does adversely affect mental health? Going bald at a young age.

Even if lowering my DHT can possibly hurt my mental health in the long term, going bald this young will definitely hurt my mental health in the long term and short term. It is what it is when you lose the genetic lottery.
I think hairloss is genetic susceptibility plus environment.
If you can avoid stress hormones or psychological stress you won't suffer DHT causing TGF-1 fibrosis in the scalp