Confused by doctors (pics included)

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hm...there are guys doing scuba dives while wearing...I don't see how a camping or running with bycicle can make that to fall...and yea...I'm not a famous athlet and I don't have so much money like them that's why I need to improve my appearance...what can I say...I am planning to wear at lest till I get 35 y.o...and there I'll shave my head...I think after 35 y.o this aspect is not so important...

flat pro...honestly...no offense...I have much more hair like you and the level where I am now maybe I have that 45 grafts/cm 2 that you have ... i bet you can not style your hair like a guy that normally could do at your age... and I am not happy at all...people never called me baldy ...that's why I am trying to act now...
Honestly...I don't see you ending much better at 40 that dudemon...your hairloss is pretty agressive man...all my respect that you've tried to fix that...but if a better treatmentwill wont be available you will not end up very well...If I am wrong please...s.a.f and dudemon deny my words that I've said...

flat_pro

Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
flat pro...honestly...no offense...I have much more hair like you and the level where I am now maybe I have that 45 grafts/cm 2 that you have ... i bet you can not style your hair like a guy that normally could do at your age... and I am not happy at all...people never called me baldy ...that's why I am trying to act now...
Honestly...I don't see you ending much better at 40 that dudemon...your hairloss is pretty agressive man...all my respect that you've tried to fix that...but if a better treatmentwill wont be available you will not end up very well...If I am wrong please...s.a.f and dudemon deny my words that I've said...

Again, I just think you are miss informed about hair transplants. When you shave your head at 35 I will still have my 45 grafts per cm on the front and the same on the back should I need a second op. This kind of density actually looks quite natural.

I don't see why you can only have a hair transplant when you are 40. Perhaps you care to backup this statement? I would point out that most of the posts on this, and other forums, are from 25-35 year old guys who have had several thousand grafts.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
flat pro...your back hair considered donor can thin too...the hair that you have transplanted can be ADN programmed to be sensitive at dht as well...being at 23 with that kind of loss it is more than probably to end up like a Norwood 6-7...

Dudemon avoided to say something personal to you...but he gave you an answer too!

boss510

Reaction score
flat_pro said:
[quote="andrei_eremenko":1h2csyhl]flat pro...honestly...no offense...I have much more hair like you and the level where I am now maybe I have that 45 grafts/cm 2 that you have ... i bet you can not style your hair like a guy that normally could do at your age... and I am not happy at all...people never called me baldy ...that's why I am trying to act now...

Again, I just think you are miss informed about hair transplants. When you shave your head at 35 I will still have my 45 grafts per cm on the front and the same on the back should I need a second op. This kind of density actually looks quite natural.

I don't see why you can only have a hair transplant when you are 40. Perhaps you care to backup this statement? I would point out that most of the posts on this, and other forums, are from 25-35 year old guys who have had several thousand grafts.[/quote:1h2csyhl]

Flat pro I am 24 and about get a hair transplant as well. I have seen your pics and everything looks good. Ill be getting an FUE from DR COLE in less then a month now, will get about 1500 to reconstruct my hairline. I just want to be a Norwood 2 OR 2.5, Ill be real happy with that. The rational behind this is that I probaly will loose alot more hair so I dont want to over aggressive on a hairline being so young.

This is my plan, and other posters please let me know what you guys think, if hair mulitiplication does not become availiable in my lifetime. I know that there are companies producing fairly good results and in phase 2, but I want to plan for the worst.

So here's my plan

If I loose my crown, so be it, I will not waste head donor on the crown. I will only use body hair transplant for my crown. I am planning on growing my hair long and slicking it back, that I can have some coverage/comb over the crown area. Thats an option.

Depending on how well my upcoming transplants results are, I will contemplate on going to Dr UMAR in LA, to put a few body hairs into my hairline. I dont want to add more head donor to an area that already has head donor hair transplanted.

Essentially I am planning on using all my body hair and almost all my head donor hair to do battle with my male pattern baldness.

I pray AND hope that male pattern baldness looses this battle, and I win the war.

If Hair Multiplication becomes availiable as anticipated in about 2014, that would ascertain that we all have won the war against male pattern baldness.

herenomore

Reaction score
So I had a ph consultation with someone at Dr. Shapiros office. He told me that without propecia it would be hard for me to keep my native hair and I should seriously consider taking finasteride atleast 3-4 times a week. He also said that the side effects are all in my head and he's been taking propecia for about 11 yrs and has experienced no sides at all.

Anyways, according to them currently I have about 20 FU/cm^2 density and there is a strong possibility that I will progress to a nw6 condition. They said that people from India generally have avg density so that would give me about a total of 6000 FU. They said that right now I should consider a hair transplant of about 2200-2500 FU in the front half of the scalp and increase the density to something between 40-50 FU/cm^2. If everything goes well I can plan for another hair transplant to add hair to back portion of the scalp and have a density about 30FU/cm^2. This would look good if i develop a nw6 condition. If i become a nw7 then I will not have enough donors to cover the crown.

He suggested that I should go in for strip procedure as we can get more FU that way as compared to the FUE method. He also said the patient can't completely shave there head in both procedures. Its just a diff of how short u can go and in my case it makes more sense to go for a strip procedure.

On the topic of shockloss he said that they have been doing this for a long time and there shouldn't be any major shockloss. Even if there is almost all the hair grow back. The only real loss is for the one's which are there n there last cycle.

So now if I do a hair transplant for about 2200 FU and inc the density in the front to about 45FU/cm^2 . Incase I lose my native here still I'll be bcak to about 20FU/cm^2 which is what I currently have.So It wont be that bad. I'm hoping that I can maintain atleast half of what I have till I'm 30 . If I do then this would be a good decision. What do you guys think about this approach?

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well it is up to you...I don't know what to think about that statement that after strip procedure you can shave your head...yes indeed you can...no hair will remain uncut in front of a blade...but what about the scare?and If you are not happy with that 20 grafts/cm...why would be after some years? you will be the same guy with almost the same physical treats...
But it only up to you...I don't think that flat pro perception about hairloss it is very accurate...how can you stop the hairloss completely at 23?It is just the begening...just my opinion...

boss510

Reaction score
dudemon said:
flat_pro said:
[quote="andrei_eremenko":2rq8v2lb]flat pro...honestly...no offense...I have much more hair like you and the level where I am now maybe I have that 45 grafts/cm 2 that you have ... i bet you can not style your hair like a guy that normally could do at your age... and I am not happy at all...people never called me baldy ...that's why I am trying to act now...

I don't see why you can only have a hair transplant when you are 40. Perhaps you care to backup this statement? I would point out that most of the posts on this, and other forums, are from 25-35 year old guys who have had several thousand grafts.

I am now 41, and I have had 3 hair transplants for approx 7,000 grafts total, and I was a NW5 at 34 years old prior to having my 1st hair transplant.

In my opinion, NW4 by the age of 35 (or projected by family history) is the cut-off to achieve realistic density in most cases. More bald than that = low density = obvious, unnatural looking hair transplant, no matter how many subsequent hair transplants (or the quality of work). There just isn't enough donor supply (even when using ALL of it) to give enough density. In this situation, a guy is better off avoiding hair transplants. Shaving or buzzing it down is probably going to be a much better way to go.

Less than that level of baldness by that age, it is probably OK to go ahead with hair transplants, and realistic, even good results can be achieved provided a good hair transplant surgeon does the work (such as H&W, Feller, (Ron) Shapiro, Umar, Rahal, etc...) Nevertheless, there can still be unknown factors, and less than desiraqble results are always a possibility in any situation. But less bald = better chances for good results in general. More bald = less chance for good results (to almost impossible for NW6, and completely impossible for NW7)

I am in the first class, and I am undeniably a guy that should have avoided hair transplants. After 7,000 grafts in my NW5 region (which went to NW6 from shockloss), I have about 35% or 35 FUs/cm^2. This is "see-through" and even if I get 2,000 more to deplete my donor, I will still end up around 40% or 40 FUs/cm^2. This is still see-through. (Assuming 100FUs/cm^2 is the normal average non-balding density level.

Now, I wish I could just "shave it all off," now after my 3 hair transplants because of my low density. (But I have an ear-to-ear strip scar to deal with, which is why I don't shave it, or buzz it). So I try to help those on here who may be "on the fence" as to whether or not they should go for an hair transplant. If they are in the first category I mentioned (more severe loss) they really should think very long and hard about having an hair transplant, and being able to live with results that may not fullfill their expectations. Thus, they probably would be better off not getting hair transplants.

hair transplants do have their limitations, and the results achieved are permanent whether they look good or bad. I just try to alert guys who may not get to hear about the "other side of the coin" on hair transplants, because everything they get on 90% of the websites is deliberately aimed at "keeping everything on a positive note" in regards to hair transplants results. That is because there are a lot of hairloss, and especially hair transplant websites, that are paid for by the hair transplant doctors coalitions themselves, and their office staff. It's mostly aimed at "sales" in other words. They shun those who have negative things to say about hair transplants on a lot of these websites, if not ban them altogether.

Often, guys are mislead by this (I know, I am one of them who was). hair transplants certainly have their time and place, but they are DEFINATELY NOT for everybody!

- dude[/quote:2rq8v2lb]

Dudeman,

Have you looked into getting a body hair transplant to increase your density?

boss510

Reaction score
dudemon said:
flat_pro said:
[quote="andrei_eremenko":2a59a6fm]flat pro...honestly...no offense...I have much more hair like you and the level where I am now maybe I have that 45 grafts/cm 2 that you have ... i bet you can not style your hair like a guy that normally could do at your age... and I am not happy at all...people never called me baldy ...that's why I am trying to act now...

I am now 41, and I have had 3 hair transplants for approx 7,000 grafts total, and I was a NW5 at 34 years old prior to having my 1st hair transplant.

In my opinion, NW4 by the age of 35 (or projected by family history) is the cut-off to achieve realistic density in most cases. More bald than that = low density = obvious, unnatural looking hair transplant, no matter how many subsequent hair transplants (or the quality of work). There just isn't enough donor supply (even when using ALL of it) to give enough density. In this situation, a guy is better off avoiding hair transplants. Shaving or buzzing it down is probably going to be a much better way to go.

Less than that level of baldness by that age, it is probably OK to go ahead with hair transplants, and realistic, even good results can be achieved provided a good hair transplant surgeon does the work (such as H&W, Feller, (Ron) Shapiro, Umar, Rahal, etc...) Nevertheless, there can still be unknown factors, and less than desiraqble results are always a possibility in any situation. But less bald = better chances for good results in general. More bald = less chance for good results (to almost impossible for NW6, and completely impossible for NW7)

I am in the first class, and I am undeniably a guy that should have avoided hair transplants. After 7,000 grafts in my NW5 region (which went to NW6 from shockloss), I have about 35% or 35 FUs/cm^2. This is "see-through" and even if I get 2,000 more to deplete my donor, I will still end up around 40% or 40 FUs/cm^2. This is still see-through. (Assuming 100FUs/cm^2 is the normal average non-balding density level.

Now, I wish I could just "shave it all off," now after my 3 hair transplants because of my low density. (But I have an ear-to-ear strip scar to deal with, which is why I don't shave it, or buzz it). So I try to help those on here who may be "on the fence" as to whether or not they should go for an hair transplant. If they are in the first category I mentioned (more severe loss) they really should think very long and hard about having an hair transplant, and being able to live with results that may not fullfill their expectations. Thus, they probably would be better off not getting hair transplants.

hair transplants do have their limitations, and the results achieved are permanent whether they look good or bad. I just try to alert guys who may not get to hear about the "other side of the coin" on hair transplants, because everything they get on 90% of the websites is deliberately aimed at "keeping everything on a positive note" in regards to hair transplants results. That is because there are a lot of hairloss, and especially hair transplant websites, that are paid for by the hair transplant doctors coalitions themselves, and their office staff. It's mostly aimed at "sales" in other words. They shun those who have negative things to say about hair transplants on a lot of these websites, if not ban them altogether.

Often, guys are mislead by this (I know, I am one of them who was). hair transplants certainly have their time and place, but they are DEFINATELY NOT for everybody!

- dude[/quote:2a59a6fm]

Dudeman,

Have you looked into getting a body hair transplant to increase your density?

flat_pro

Reaction score
herenomore said:
So now if I do a hair transplant for about 2200 FU and inc the density in the front to about 45FU/cm^2 . Incase I lose my native here still I'll be bcak to about 20FU/cm^2 which is what I currently have.So It wont be that bad. I'm hoping that I can maintain atleast half of what I have till I'm 30 . If I do then this would be a good decision. What do you guys think about this approach?

I would do as many grafts as possible in your first procedure with strip, 2200 is not enough. Aim for at least 4k, depending on donor of course. If your going to be NW6 just go further back with the extra grafts.

With a good doctor you shouldn't get a scar from strip IMO.

The comment about side effects is really bad advice, people do get them with finasteride. It's different for everyone. But maybe try a regime not using finasteride. Lots of people on this forum seem to with decent results. Or try to load your self slowly, like 1 every week, then two,,,three etc.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
lol body hair...it looks awful...it's like having that kind of hair like armpit and pubian and legs and chest...is not so decent to put that on head...have you seen some results with body hair honestly it look awful...

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
agree 100% with dudemon...he knows the math:))

I wouldn't rush into hair transplant...and flat_pro...congrats for your decision but...I highly recommend using DHT inhibitor and some other stuffs because you are going to very bald...I've seen the pic that you already have obvious thinning on vertex area...so beware!

flat_pro

Reaction score
dudemon said:
I disagree. If you are going to be NW6, do yourself a BIGGG favor: skip getting a hair transplant! (I know because, I am NW6, and I have had 3 strip hair transplants and approx 7,000 grafts total!) I now have 35% density (this is see-through hair, and only 2,000 donor grafts left (which will get me to 40% density = still see-through)

You can disagree if you want but you can do a lot with 4000 - 8000 grafts and a good surgeon. I don't know when you had your hair transplants but you can get over 90% graft survival now.

There is no perfect density. It's about hair quality, length, diameter etc.. I would say anything over 40cm2 looks acceptable. Maybe less on the back. Asian guys have quite low density for example. I just had 90cm covered with 4000 grafts fyi.

dudemon said:
LOL...no scar? Now THAT is laughable! :smack: You clearly are misinformed. This is clearly BAD advice.

ANY strip hair transplant leaves a MAJOR donor scar. It is the "width of a pencil lead, bla, bla, bla..." BUT no hair grows on EITHER side of it! (Like 1/8 to as much as 1/4" on BOTH sides!) When you buzz it down to a #2 (or even a #4), this is 100% visible! It becomes quuite a "conversation piece" in social situations (I know I've been there) and it draws unwanted attention to yourself.

I think your views on hair transplants are very outdated. Look up something called the Trichophytic closure technique. The blog post below from 2006 gives some information, but the process has gotten a lot better since (for example you don't get the red scar as much now, again look it up).

http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/04/11/t ... re-photos/

ALL of the good surgeons are using this for strip now. I feel sorry for guys who have not had this technique as you are right it leaves a scar. But again a good surgeon would use the TC technique.

dudemon said:
If you don't use finasteride, and you are headed for NW5 to 7 by the age of 35 or so, getting a hair transplant is a BAD idea! Period. You will be forever chasing your male pattern baldness, and you are never going to win. In this case, a guy should really just shave it, or buzz it down and skip getting hair transplants all together.
[/quote][/quote]

I would disagree. You can see a lot of good examples on NW6 hair transplant on this site . The ones with a higher number of grafts are quite good. You are never going to have a perfect hairline, true, but you can get good results.

(apologies if I can't post this link)
http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Sh ... 6&offset=0

I would also point to future treatments etc that are likely to become available. Everyone has hope.

flat_pro

Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
agree 100% with dudemon...he knows the math:))

I wouldn't rush into hair transplant...and flat_pro...congrats for your decision but...I highly recommend using DHT inhibitor and some other stuffs because you are going to very bald...I've seen the pic that you already have obvious thinning on vertex area...so beware!

Actually my thinning on top has got a lot better the past three months. Rogain, finasteride, saw placebo, MSM etc really seem to help.

herenomore, here is a good example of a NW6 from H&W. 7,000 grafts two ops and a very convincing coverage.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Sh ... 4&drid=632

This one is also good, he has a blog post somewhere.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Sh ... 4&drid=632

H&W do seem to be great at vertex areas. Would consider them if I decide to have another. I wasn't keen on their hairlines, hence me going with Rahal.

(I know these are doctor posted pictures, but you can find blog / forum posts with similar results)

boss510

Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
lol body hair...it looks awful...it's like having that kind of hair like armpit and pubian and legs and chest...is not so decent to put that on head...have you seen some results with body hair honestly it look awful...

I would say that body hair does look different then head hair. However, a combination of both head donor and body hair, I think, would look great.
I believe that you must be willing to accept transplanting body hair, if your young and probably headed toward a Norwood 6 or 7. I would certainly be happy with transplanting body hair to create density, if needed, and get a full head of hair.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yea...it looks like dudemon has said everything...so I decided...I will better shave the head now or wear a hairpiece than having hair transplant at 23!I am not taking it thinking about future treatments...if there will be some...I will still be here!

flat_pro

Reaction score
dudemon said:
FYI, uh, my last 2 hair transplants were in 2005, and 2007 and were performed by one of the best hair transplants surgeons in the world. (I cannot give the name, but they are mentioned regularly here on this site and other sites)

Both of my last 2 hair transplants were done with the Tricho closure technique!

I haven't seen your post but I have rarely seen a bad result from a Trico Closure technique (maybe just one or two - perhaps you could show me more?). It seems strange to me that you can't give the name of your surgeon. I would be very interested to know, if it's as bad as you say I would never recommend them.

I think people would post and complain with bad results. You certainty do. And you can find them, normally from poor surgeons with low density who promise too much. I'm not saying this is the case with you, it's simply a pattern I find.

I agree with your view that people are disappointed by density, however when I had my consultation it was made very clear to me that I could have had 35 with greater coverage or 45 with less coverage. I think Rahals own words were that 35 would be pointless on the front. I think you can get good coverage from this. Again, I have seen MANY posts with around this density which look fine.

I don't think you can backup your previous claim that "ANY strip hair transplant leaves a MAJOR donor scar" It's simply not the case. And I don't think you have any evidence that "only 5% of NW6 transplants are successful". I think it depends on the surgeon, technique, hair quality regime etc... I think you should be careful about posting your views as facts, however well intentioned.

I don't think I'm misinformed at all. I have been a member of this, and several other forums since 2005. If you think I'm wrong then please just post something to show that other then your personal view.

Sorry for hijacking this thread btw, but I truly disagree with dudemon views, as he does mine. I like to think I have posted links to at least backup mine that you can get good results at NW6 (not just the doctor posted pictures, but others if you search through that site) and that the Trico closure technique does not leave a scar.

boss510

Reaction score
[FYI, uh, my last 2 hair transplants were in 2005, and 2007 and were performed by one of the best hair transplants surgeons in the world. (I cannot give the name, but they are mentioned regularly here on this site and other sites)

Both of my last 2 hair transplants were done with the Tricho closure technique!

And what I have described to you in my earlier post, is EXACTLY the way the scar looks...with the "Tricho" closure technique. Although Tricho is a vast improvement on the older closures, IMO, the tricho closure technique = :jackit: IMO. (Not all its cracked up to be in other words!)

I don't know where you get your info from, but it seems to me that you don't know what you are talking about, despite the fact you have had an hair transplant. Maybe after you get a couple more of them, and a few years down the road, you may see things more my way.

But, in all fairness, I do recall being just as "uninformed" about hair transplantation as you back in 2003 after I had my first hair transplant. But the things I say now are from my own hair transplant experience. So, it is possible for others to have better/worse results. It varies so much in each person's case. It is possible for a NW6 to get good results from an hair transplant, but they are in about the "5%" category. In other words, they are the exception rather than the norm. The other 95% (of NW4+) hair transplants have results closer to what I have described. And most of them wind up shaving their heads a few years down the road after getting hair transplants...because of....you guessed it: LACK OF DENSITY!

Basically, they get tired of walking around with pretend "see-through" hair, and no amount of hair transplantation can fix it, even when all available donor supply is depleted.

Low density makes any hair transplant look bad, no matter who the surgeon is that does it (in like 90% of the cases). The ones that DO look good, are the ones you see as "poster boys" on their websites advocating hair transplants. They usually wind up getting paid to shill the hair transplant clinic as well, and work at the clinic as "consultantants."

Believe me, your talking to someone here (myself) who knows all about the hair transplant business, and hair transplants in general. I can literally sit here (if I had the time) and pick apart piece-by-piece just about everything you have said in your posts.

But I have better things to do. Gotta go.

Have a nice day! :)
[/quote]

yo Dudeman,

WHY WOULD YOU NOT TELL EVERYONE THE NAME OF YOUR SURGEON? Whats wrong with letting your other fellow peers know who the surgeon is so we all may know. It would be good to know, if you could tell us who you got it from.

And also have your considered getting a body hair transplant to increase your density/coverage?

flat_pro

Reaction score
dudemon said:
This is getting ridiculous. I cannot, nor will not continue to argue with you.

Then don't make statements that you can't backup. From mystery doctors to every strip hair transplant having a wide donar scar the list goes on. I find how you write your posts pushy and rude to be quite frank.

I had strip, next time I do a photo update I will be sure to include close ups of my scar. It is not bumpy, just red with hair growing through, after three months.

You can look at h&w site for videos of Trico closure scars, or lack of. You can find great examples on forums aswell. But this is quicker.

http://www.hassonandwong.com/hair-trans ... ic+Closure

I don't think I ever said NW6s get good density in that context, only that you can get good results as per having no hair, to having something that can look natural (see the link I posted earlier). Please don't miss quote me.

You can see hundreds of hair transplant surgery results on the site I posted earlier. Both by individuals (below) and hair transplant surgeons (previous past). Some even post HD videos of results. One thing you rarely read is any complaints about donar scar.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/

I think I have commented on density before. It's different for everyone, but above 40 is a must.

You still haven't given me anything other then your personal view on hair transplant's. This is my last post on the matter. I just think your view are wrong and outdated.

boss510

Reaction score
dudemon said:
flat_pro said:
I find how you write your posts pushy and rude to be quite frank.

You deliberately tried to "bait me" by frustrating me, just so you could say that...:mrgreen: you are a joke pal! I can see right through you, I didn't fall for it, haha....

Go on back to hairtansplant.net where you belong, so you can give misinfo there, and you will be encouraged by all the pro-hair transplant shills over there. Tha website is full of nothing bur shills, and "consultants" who try to keep everything "positive" becyuase its all about making moire hair transplant sales. I know all about you phoney baloney types. How much are you getting paid for "finder's fees" for new hair transplant patients? :shakehead:

You have very little nowledge of hair transplants and you are misinforming guys here about strip scars and density. you have made incorrect statements, and it's obvious you don't know what the F*ck you are talking about!

I have had 3 hair transplants to your ONE! I have been on hair transplant and hairloss websites since 1999, 6 years longer than YOU! I was a different user on here before I was "dudemon" and that wwas for like 2 years.

I have also been on all the sites you are touting many years before you.

[quote="flat_pro":3utfmlhr]
I don't think I ever said NW6s get good density in that context, only that you can get good results as per having no hair, to having something that can look natural (see the link I posted earlier). Please don't miss quote me.

flat_pro said:
herenomore, here is a good example of a NW6 from H&W. 7,000 grafts two ops and a very convincing coverage.

A NW6 with 7,000 grafts will get 35 to 40% density max. I knw, I have just that!

You are a joke!

flat_pro said:
I would disagree. You can see a lot of good examples on NW6 hair transplant on this site . The ones with a higher number of grafts are quite good. You are never going to have a perfect hairline, true, but you can get good results.

I'm not mis-quoting you, you do a pretty good job of that yourself! :laugh:

flat_pro said:
I had strip, next time I do a photo update I will be sure to include close ups of my scar. It is not bumpy, just red with hair growing through, after three months.

...LOL... uh, OK, let's see it from about 3 feet away when you have it buzzed down to a #4.... :mrgreen:...

we're just dying to see just how "nonexistent" your scar looks! :laugh:[/quote:3utfmlhr]

DUDEMON

have you considered getting a body hair transplant to increase density , I think I asked you this like 3 times already,

And also why are you not disclosing the name of your surgeon that did your hair transplant'S.