Confused by doctors (pics included)

Boondock

Reaction score
^ Agreed. It's like doing open heart surgery to get your blood pressure slightly down.

herenomore

Reaction score
I'm considering strip for just 1200 grafts because i know ill have future hairloss ... and i will be going in for multiple hair transplant's. With this in mind strip seems to be the most effective when i comes to getting the max amount of FU's and also the cost involved.

I'd be placing the majority of these 1200-1500 grafts on the left-middle section of the front/top section. This would give me maximum visual enhancement as I comb my hair from left to write(u can see in the pics on the first page) .

I have avg donor density of about 6000 FU. With 1200 grafts in the first hair transplant I would hv enough FU's left in reserve to have transplants depending on the way I loose more. I think even if I go to a nw6 stage I will be able to have decent amt of hair to look as if I'm balding but I'm not bald. Thats the best I can get.

Im unsure what I could do if I progress to a nw7 state though.

What do you guys think about this plan.

Also in your opinion whom should I consider amongst
-Dr. Feller (I'm currently in NYC. I could have a hair transplant, just before I leave for my vacation and heal for a couple of week before joining work again)
-Dr Shapiro
-Dr. Arvind Poswal(I'm originally from India and will be going there soon for a vacation. This would give me enough time to hv a discrete hair transplant and heal somewhat. Also the cost is really low in comparison).

flat_pro

Reaction score
Doing strip for 1200 grafts is not the best idea.

I would not consider cost in your decision. I know hair transplant are expensive but if you can't afford a good one then just don't do it at all imo.

I think graft survival rates for 'mega sessions' have improved a lot recently. For example I know Rahal 'stores' the grafts in some kind of solution they use for heart transplants. I would guess other places may also do this. (I can't remember what it's called but I did look it up at the time of my hair transplant) They quoted me a graft survival rate of 90%+, but I have no idea how true this is, and I would guess it's hard to tell or verify. But from the results I have seen, and posted on this thread it can't be far off.

Doing one session minimises down time, shock loss etc and just means you can get on with life.

I think you would feel a LOT better if you just did it and moved on. I felt a huge weight lifted when I finally did it, even when my head was bright red.

HandW make a good point (and I would try finasteride again), but honestly I would just repeat what I just said, I felt so much better when I had mine done. I couldn't have gone on like I was, with it always in the back of my mind. Moving forward is important.

herenomore

Reaction score
I think you would feel a LOT better if you just did it and moved on. I felt a huge weight lifted when I finally did it, even when my head was bright red.

Thats exactly what I'm thinking and hoping for.

The reason I'm just considering 1200-1500 is because I know I have further hairloss ahead of me and I dont want to be too agressive in my first hair transplant. Just do enough to make me feel a bit better for the next couple of years and then when my hairloss progresses further I hv enough donors(4500 approx) to tackle it.

This is what was suggested to me by Dr. Feller after an in person consultation (the rest have been thru e-mails). He said that he's all about the mega - sessions but in my case it doesn't make much sense right now. He said he would concentrate all the grafts on the left to middle section of the front/top portion of the scalp. This would give me much better visual presentation and hold me up well for a couple of years.

With his reputation in mind I instantly wanted to go for this but with all the other consults and posts in this forum I'm really confused.

Nene

Reaction score
If you want to do something like that you really need finasteride.

herenomore

Reaction score
I asked Dr. Feller about finpecia as well. His response was:
"I didn't ask you how long you have taken finasteride or if you plan to continue on it. With finpecia you never know how long the patient takes it or for how long it works for the patient. So in my analysis I take it completely out of the equation."

Nene

Reaction score
Would you be happy with thin hair so long as you had some to work with?

Petchsky

Reaction score
Just make sure you don't get the hairline planted too low on the head, and as you are not on finasteride, and have limited donor hair, consider the option of leaving the crown bare in future ops.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dudemon and saf - just a hypothetical question here, but how much better do you think your results would be if you had gone to a place like H&W or Rahal/Feller for all of your hair transplant procedures? In other words, no wasted grafts or hack jobs.

AFAIK, all of the "poster boys" for the top clinics (Bobman, NicNitro, Jotronic, londonlad) have had multiple procedures done. Had they just gone in for one pass, they'd be rocking the see through, low density look that dudemon has been warning about. In other words, they'd be a typical high Norwood hair transplant patient. But most of them have had two, even three procedures totaling 10,000+ grafts - all from world-class surgeons.

That's gotta make a big difference (compared to the average hair transplant patient), right? Obviously I'm not saying that EVERYONE will get results exactly like them. And I actually agree that a true NW6 with normal hair characteristics will probably still be "thin" looking - even after three procedures. But three procedures by the top docs will still result in a drastic improvement in almost any significantly balding man's appearance. For guys who simply cannot pull off being "sly", even thin is a blessing.

In other words - if a person has the money and good hair characteristics, they can get a cosmetically acceptable, even cosmetically DESIRABLE, result from multiple hair transplant procedures - all the way up to NW5.

Plus, that's not even taking into consideration things like graying of hair, restoration of temple points and packing more grafts in the hairline while leaving the crown thinner - all of which will both improve the appearance of the hair transplant and patient's looks overall. Think Joe Biden. He has a BAD hair transplant but actually looks ok because he has a hairline and has white hair. He'd look even better if he had temple points.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yea...right...those guys are just lucky and they had donor hair plenty of it...much more than average guy...There are people with extreme hair thickness...I have a friend that has so much hair that it will be able to cover 3 heads...with normal density...so those guys were just lucky...there are not so many like them...

s.a.f

Reaction score
Thickandthin said:
dudemon and saf - just a hypothetical question here, but how much better do you think your results would be if you had gone to a place like H&W or Rahal/Feller for all of your hair transplant procedures? In other words, no wasted grafts or hack jobs.

Read what I wrote on the page 10.