Confused by doctors (pics included)

herenomore

Reaction score
Hi,

Im 25 years old and I started losing hair when I was 20. I started taking 1mg finpecia every day and started applying 1ml minoxidil 5% solution at night when I was 21. I continued on this for about 3 years and maintained the hair I had quite well. In fact I regained some density as well. After 3 years I reduced the daily dosage of finpecia and finally quit because of the side effects. After that I started applying 10% minoxidil twice and have been continuing this for almost a year now. 6 months back I started taking 1mg finpecia 2 times a week as I was losing a lot of hair.

I want to go for a hair transplant and I contacted a few doctors. But the replies I got show extreme variations when it comes to the no of grafts required.

- Dr. Arvind Poswal: 5500-6000 grafts
- Dr. Shapiro(florida): 1200-1400 grafts for the front and 300-400 grafts or more for the back
- Dr. Rahal: 4000 grafts.

I've contacted a few more, still waiting for there reply.

I'm confused by sheer difference in the suggested no of grafts, ranging from 2000 to 6000. In your opinion what would be the no of grafts reqd. Also can you recommend any good doctors for a case like mine.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    374.3 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    366.7 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0500.JPG
    IMG_0500.JPG
    310.5 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_0521.JPG
    IMG_0521.JPG
    337.6 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    327.7 KB · Views: 347

s.a.f

Reaction score
Looking at that pattern and bearing in mind that you're only 25 IMO without finasteride you're going to lose all the top area thats thinned out. ie you're headed for NW6 with this in mind a hair transplant is'nt really a good idea.

Boondock

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Looking at that pattern and bearing in mind that you're only 25 IMO without finasteride you're going to lose all the top area thats thinned out. ie you're headed for NW6 with this in mind a hair transplant is'nt really a good idea.

Agree with this.

The only exception would be if you're happy with NW3 hair with fairly thin crown coverage something like that could be done. But since you're diffuse, you'd also be risking a lot of shock loss. It's a tough situation.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the best option is to not make anything...try to find others options ...avoid hair transplant at 25 you have a lot of hair loss...

herenomore

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Hiker said:
What state do you live in?
Currently I'm in NYC.

andrei_eremenko said:
the best option is to not make anything...try to find others options ...avoid hair transplant at 25 you have a lot of hair loss...
Please excuse my ignorance but what other options do I have?

s.a.f said:
What do you think an appropriate age would be for an hair transplant for me, keeping in mind I'm not going to take finasteride again?

I had seen some great results on dr. Arvinds website and got thinking that may be I can get results like this as well
- http://www.fusehair.com/image/tid/13
- http://www.fusehair.com/node/577
- http://www.fusehair.com/node/573

I was hoping of getting a strip procedure done for about 5000 grafts now and then another FUE when I'm around 30.

s.a.f

Reaction score
herenomore said:
s.a.f said:
What do you think an appropriate age would be for an hair transplant for me, keeping in mind I'm not going to take finasteride again?

Its not the age that bothers me, but the fact that you look to me like you will be a NW6 in the next couple of years. You're not on meds anymore so theres nothing that will stop you from continuing to lose more hair (everything on top is looking thin). Therefore what are you expecting to achieve by a hair transplant? At the same rate as the new hair grows in you'll be losing what remains.
Your hair is at least as bad as mine was at your age and I was NW6 by 28. I did'nt know about hair transplant's and went ahead with them now I have NW2.5 very thin hair and a see through crown. Thats the best you can hope for with hair transplant's in your position and to get that you'll need multiple procedures that will take several years to grow in.
The only thing that can help you get a good result is if you use meds to keep the hair that you still have - the hair that is slowly going to dissapear.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
If you can't take finasteride, don't even think about a hair transplant. You are thinning in a NW6/7 pattern. Even if you forget about the hair you will lose in the future, you still have a big problem with shock loss during the procedure. finasteride is the only way to combat it.

herenomore

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys ... although disheartening they have given me a lot of clarity.

Incase you guys don't mind can I see your hair loss pics ... it would gimme a better idea of how my hair loss might look in case i give into getting an hair transplant.

I dont think I'm gona start taking finasteride again. The side are just too much to handle. I understand that if you guys were in my position you won't go for an hair transplant. But can you suggest any addition to my current regimen.
- 10% minoxidil morning and night
- s5 cream morning and night
- nizoral every alternate day

Diffuse25

Reaction score
Have you thought about just shaving your head for the time being? I'm in a similar boat. Loss started at 16, 1200 grafts done to front half of hair ex hair line. I am now 25 and regretting it. I just want to shave my head, but now I have a scar on the back of my head.

I would suggest smaller FUE sessions if you absolutely must do it. But we are still young and started losing early. Hard to combat this friend.

Additionally, not taking finasteride is going to work against you. There are no magic cures, but this is the best we have.

Plus shaving your head makes Rogaine easier to apply.

antonio666

Reaction score
hello looked at your pics,i agree that you have a lot of hairloss for your age but i have seen a lot worse at 25,i would defintley start some kind of hairloss regimen probalbly finasteride and minoxidil and then go for a mega session of fue so if it fails then at least go for a shaved haed without the scar if this is out of your price range then you could try for a hairpiece ,i know a lot of people are anti hair piece but a lot of them look quite good and you could get the density you require,i hope what ever you decide to do that everything works out good for you
p.s your current hair when dry does not look too bad and i think some of the comments have been a little harsh in respect to your hair

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
Please excuse my ignorance but what other options do I have?

well...you have some others options...shave it or wear a hairpiece...but don't make the hair transplant...those guys dudemon and s.a.f. they really know what they are saying...so...take care...maybe you didn't research too much about hair transplant or you've been amazed by some results you found on the net...in my opinion hair transplant is for someone around 40 years old with thick donor and no more loss than a norwood 4...to get some decent results...I don't know if I am right but this is my opinion...
regarding hair pieces and wigs a lot of people are against it but I would like to say that is not that bad at all...I will use one and I will post some pics here to show people that you can achieve a good look with that...you can have even Beckham look...take a look at the pic...it is not the best wig...but still is better than bald...

so it is your decesion what you will have to do...but avoid hair transplant! try the shave look maybe it will suit you!

Attachments

• 1277393444.JPG
    1277393444.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,029

herenomore

Reaction score
I've tried shaving my head ... doesn't suit me well ... i look like a zombie alien to say the least.

andrei_eremenko I dont know where you got that pic from... but it doesn't look like a wig at all. If its one then its really amazing.

Again, do you guys think I can add something to my current regimen:
- 10% minoxidil morning and night
- s5 cream morning and night
- nizoral every alternate day

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey herenomore....trust me...it is a wig...some people are against it...me too...but...I will rather wear one than being bald...like you said I will look very strange...the wig looks really coll with modern style but...it is not the best wig example...because it is a stock one not a customized one ...here are some others pics...

some people are making these totally undetectable but you have to learn a lot and to practice a bit...it is not easy but the outcome could be great...

Attachments

• 29899110.jpg
    29899110.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 293
  • 71189282.jpg
    71189282.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,004
  • 55951385.jpg
    55951385.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 989
  • n008.jpg
    n008.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 281

flat_pro

Reaction score
herenomore said:
Hi,

I want to go for a hair transplant and I contacted a few doctors. But the replies I got show extreme variations when it comes to the no of grafts required.

- Dr. Arvind Poswal: 5500-6000 grafts
- Dr. Shapiro(florida): 1200-1400 grafts for the front and 300-400 grafts or more for the back
- Dr. Rahal: 4000 grafts.

Thanks

Hey,

Not sure how many of the people on this post have actually had hair transplants so will give you some personal advice from someone who has.

From looking at your pictures I would say you would need two ops at around 4,000 grafts each for complete coverage of the top (front then back). If you stop taking finasteride your hair will most likely get thinner but no one can say that if will all fall out, rogain would help and new treatments look promising. Also your new hair should not be affected by stopping finasteride.

From personal experience of having an op with Rahal I would say he can do a lot with 4,000 grafts, look at my previous post of how much coverage I got from 4,200 with 46 grafts per cm2 coverage. I would also look at H&W. Don't consider FUE only strip for this kind of coverage.

I would guess that Dr. Arvind Poswal is taking an upper estimate at 6,000 grafts, that kind of number is rare to get. But it would depend on your density etc.. I'm sure if Rahal or H&W could get 6k they would. This is basically what all doctors should base your graft number on, if I could have got 6k on the coverage I had I would have done 6k, but I could only get 4.

If you have anymore questions just drop me an email. I could send you more pics of my hair transplant if you like :) Good luck!

SummerOf2010

Reaction score
If you are still in NYC, check out Dr. Feller as he is local and people seem to get great results from him and his prices are right up on his website. (and they aint bad)

These guys here (such as dudemon) make some very good points and they are pretty much experts on the subject of hair transplant. I have some thereads regarding the exact same dilema you are in. Which is what if the hair loss continues. I dont see this really addressed by any threads but consider this (beause I am) :

Normal male pattern baldness (as much as we dont like it) does not really catch anyones eye as being anything out of the ordinary. It may not be attractive, but it is by no means "bizarre" . But what happens if you begin chasing the male pattern baldness with more transplants until your have very strong temples and hair loss behind it? I guess if you can have a strong hair line, then concelalers can work wonders (because they really are GREAT, if you stay away from the edge of the hair line)...but once your out of doner, then what. In my case I would be looking like "crusty the clown" I'll post my pics here. I'm late 40s and dont use finasteride either, and currently have a "larry form the 3 stooges meets Richard Nixon" level of hari loss myself. VERY VERY find hair.

Andrei makes some great points regarding wearing hair. I have some experience with this as well and it is a very viable option. Also: Andrei: I love your pics. Its a bit dense on top for my tastes, but overall it looks great, especailly the sides/cut in.

Heres me:[attachment=0:167kea1k]scan0007.jpg[/attachment:167kea1k][attachment=0:167kea1k]scan0007.jpg[/attachment:167kea1k][attachment=1:167kea1k]scan0005.jpg[/attachment:167kea1k][attachment=2:167kea1k]scan0001.jpg[/attachment:167kea1k]

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 267
  • scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 272
  • scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 243

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well...those are not my pics...those are pics of a guy from a forum that it only debate problems and solutions about hair wearing...yea...the problem with wigs and hairpieces it is not the undetectibility...the practice and learning and maintenance is the problem...but for example you can attach that wig and for let's say 5 -7 days and then you need to wash it and wash your scalp too and cut to 0 your hair...then again attaching and sleeping with it...living with it...taking 10 min every morning to style it...

some of the young user from here would be amaze what kind of results you can get with a hairpiece...something like Beckham look it is a reality...I would try it this summer too..and I will tell my honest opinion about it...

hair transplant is not for everyone for sure...when I noticed for the first time thinning balding...what do you think guys that I was thinking? yea...not a big problem...I have some money and I will get an hair transplant...lI was thinking that hair transplant could give you as many hair that you need...then I noticed that the surgeons is taking your back hair and put it in front and some time you don't have the hair you need at donor to cover the thinning/balding area...I've seen also all the youtube movies about hair transplant...all the pics from the most famous surgeons...and I sayd myself that this is my option...honestly some of the fotos from all this surgeons are a bit fake...i mean a bad light...or some are using concelears...because I've seen some fotos where a a norwood 5-6 has become thick norwood 1,5 wich I think it is impossible...

then one day I was thinking that actually I have no chance...i can not stop this by every means and I can not make an hair transplant because if at 23 I am norwood 2 with diffuse thinning...it is obvious that I will end up like my grandpa at norwood 6...so hair transplant is out of my option...just take a look at the most famous athlets...soccer players...they have tons of money and they are not making hair transplant...why?

so...one day I decided to take a look at hairpices and wigs...I was ironically laughing...but i found out that it is a really viable options...and there are also young people at 23-24-25 that wear it and they are happy enjoying life... dating and so on... while I am sitting from time to time in front of my pc and taking some look on hairlosstalk...

I am fed up with this...I knows that wearing is not an easy game...but I will give it a chance...if I will do it well...then I can wait for that hair multiplication...without cheking day by day their sites and trials and so on...

sorry for the long post and spelling and writing...not an english...but i tried up to brief my story and thoughts and ...agony and so on...you know the feeling balding/thinning friends...

s.a.f

Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
welljust take a look at the most famous athlets...soccer players...they have tons of money and they are not making hair transplant...why?

Because they live their lives in public and dont have the time for post op recovery. These guys are'nt wearing wigs either, probably being rich and famous they have enough confidence to accept their balding.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
c'mon ...is not that...they don't do it because for many and many time is not worth...look at arjen robben and weslwy sneijder... and list can continue...they will would have enough time and money to do something...but they don't do it...because it is nothing do be done...about hairloss...

I just keep my opinion that hair transplant are just for person around 40 with thick donor and no more than norwood 3-4...I don;t know how may of you are agree with this...but I think it is the true reality...

obviously they can not wear wig because you can not practice train after train and sweating so much... and playing those kind of tough game...I played soccer and it is a tough game especially when it is not friendly...but...I already told you it is not the risk of falling the wig it is the maintainance that will be so often to be made at that high level of practicing sport...

flat_pro

Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
c'mon ...is not that...they don't do it because for many and many time is not worth...look at arjen robben and weslwy sneijder... and list can continue...they will would have enough time and money to do something...but they do it...because it is nothing do be done...about hairloss...

I just keep my opinion that hair transplant are just for person around 40 with thick donor and no more than norwood 3-4...I don;t know how may of you are agree with this...but I think it is the true reality...

obviously they can not wear wig because you can not practice train after train and sweating so much... and playing those kind of tough game...I played soccer and it is a tough game especially when it is not friendly...but...I already told you it is not the risk of falling the wig it is the maintainance that will be so often to be made at that high level of practicing sport...

I don't think your views on hair loss are anywhere close to accurate. You should look round the internet and see the amazing results people have from hair transplant surgery and meds.

Oh and I think the reason footballers don't have hair transplant or take meds is due to both the downtime, humiliation and the risk of the drugs looking like they are doping. Plus they all have sexy gf/wives anyway.