Comb Over?!?

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have no idea personally. I have never talked to him about it. He's slowly becoming a hat prisoner. I'll try to give a good look at his hair next time I see him.

Can we see before pictures from pre finasteride?

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you watch the video? I think I have a bit more loss then that.

once again, like watching a video of myself... I will tell you, diffuse thinners can get away with a short hair cut and brushing it forward. It looks a lot thicker that way. It's also WAY easier. My hair dries in like two minutes now, applying topicals and dermarolling is simple and by sprinkling a little hair fibers and a touch of hair spray, it damn near looks like a full head... ALSO, I have realized if you're diffused, you can just sprinkle the hair fibers on top, apply a little hair spray and sweat your balls off and it won't run.. all the sweat from the scalp just goes right through the hair and down your face. I still f*cking hate my hair, but hell im a thousand times happier.

shookwun

Reaction score
How many times do you plan on asking the same crap?

K9 is absolutely right.

Your hair will look like absolute crap buzzed. It will look patchy and ratty. Your grown out here is giving the illusion of a full mane, and helps conceal it well.

I buzzed my hair after that hair system crap I tried for awhile. Huge reality check even for me. I thought I had decent hair with finasteride but didn't realise how thin and diffuse it actually is. My sides and back are so dark while the top is light in color. There are diffuse spots and I can 100% see my future if I don't continue meds. A NW6.

U will feel like **** about yourself if you buzz it. Based on yur posting patterns I don't suggest it. You worry a lot

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
How many times do you plan on asking the same crap?

K9 is absolutely right.

Your hair will look like absolute crap buzzed. It will look patchy and ratty. Your grown out here is giving the illusion of a full mane, and helps conceal it well.

I buzzed my hair after that hair system crap I tried for awhile. Huge reality check even for me. I thought I had decent hair with finasteride but didn't realise how thin and diffuse it actually is. My sides and back are so dark while the top is light in color. There are diffuse spots and I can 100% see my future if I don't continue meds. A NW6.

U will feel like **** about yourself if you buzz it. Based on yur posting patterns I don't suggest it. You worry a lot

i think we all worry a lot on here. Hair loss is a complete nightmare. Buzzing it will show your future as a NW6, for sure. Mine is down to an eight guard, and when it's wet, i look like a NW6.. something I am not used to. at all. However, I would take an eight guard, with shaved sides and back over ANYTHING else, especially the very real struggle I shared in common with the OP. Fluffed up and combed, it still looks a bit thin, but it looks neat and it doesn't look like a combover, which is shear hell. If cut right, it will also appear a lot thicker this way, then having long strands. It's just an easier life overall. This is just my opinion from my own experience.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Shook are you still just on finasteride only?

shookwun

Reaction score
Yes. I am thinking about giving minioxidil another run as well.

AussieM

Reaction score
Honestly man it looks fine flat. You can't even tell you're thinning when its flat and it definitely isnt a combover! But you can see male pattern baldness there, are you on finasteride and using shampoos?

Bob Dylan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you considered Finasteride? You can get 5 MG version at Walmart very very cheaply, so it'll preserve what you have and maybe regrow some more, especially around the vertex.

shookwun

Reaction score
Here's why I don't recommend getting a buzz cut (for this particular guy).

The diffuse areas will show. And in his case, his hair is thick enough to
cover it up.

And if you grow it long on top, short sides and back, your head will look longer.
Someone with a round or square head, that might not be bad. Vertical head, it
could be bad.

Now, for some men this is a better choice. I just got a buzzcut myself (#4 guard, or 1/2 inches).

Only so I could post pictures on my other threads, was really the point. My forehead is horrible (an island
to itself, puts me in Norwood 4 category).

And, I'm going to grow my hair longer. But in hot weather, that's the time to experiment. Hair grows
very slow in cold weather.

very depressing indeed.

For two straight years I had a crew cut with tight tapered sides, and around a #2 on my scar. sides, and back were very close cropped while the top was a traditional short-long taper - crown:front

I got that hair system, threw the **** off. Shaved my head and it's been such a wake up call to the reality of my situation. For so long I thought my hair was fine because it was masked and tweeked over the years to compliment the best version of myself. Grown out, my sides and back are much darker, and thicker then the top. it literally looks like a horse shoe. I have diffused spots on my top. The crown remains thick while there are patches around it.

I'm looking back, and realised my hair has always been like this. Those subtle pictures, the difference in texture feel.... I knew something was up, but it wasn't point blank in my face like when you buzz it.

LOl this guy wont buzz it. He knows he wont..... It will look like ABSOLUTE trash.

Buzzed cut is an option for people who can't even have a remotely decent style without looking stupid. NW4+

traditional male pattern baldness... you can still look good. Diffuse, will always look like garbage.

nyjrb

Established Member
Reaction score
very depressing indeed.

For two straight years I had a crew cut with tight tapered sides, and around a #2 on my scar. sides, and back were very close cropped while the top was a traditional short-long taper - crown:front

I got that hair system, threw the **** off. Shaved my head and it's been such a wake up call to the reality of my situation. For so long I thought my hair was fine because it was masked and tweeked over the years to compliment the best version of myself. Grown out, my sides and back are much darker, and thicker then the top. it literally looks like a horse shoe. I have diffused spots on my top. The crown remains thick while there are patches around it.

I'm looking back, and realised my hair has always been like this. Those subtle pictures, the difference in texture feel.... I knew something was up, but it wasn't point blank in my face like when you buzz it.

LOl this guy wont buzz it. He knows he wont..... It will look like ABSOLUTE trash.

Buzzed cut is an option for people who can't even have a remotely decent style without looking stupid. NW4+

traditional male pattern baldness... you can still look good. Diffuse, will always look like garbage.

I don't believe I personally mentioned anything about buzzing my hair in this thread. But Shook, you talk often about buzzing your head to see your final pattern. I'd like to know mine. So maybe I should buzz it to find out. Maybe it would help with me deciding the next course of action.
finasteride and min doesn't seem to be working for me. If anything, my diffuse loss has went into overdrive within the last two months or so. At the rate I'm losing it, Do any of you think that I'll reach my 40's with hair?

shookwun

Reaction score
Its totally up to you. It definitely will help guage the reality of your situation and help you plan from there. I can assure you it will be a drastic wake up call if you can tell you are heavily diffused now, it will only be heightened when you #1-#2 guard it all over.

The worse part is when the sides, and back grow relatively fast in comparison to the top portion of your head. Diffused areas grow very slow in comparison to terminal areas, so growth will be patchy.

I got a hair cut yesterday. Fully tapered sides & back. What a difference it makes in providing the illusion that I have minimal loss on top. It's like I went back in time, and now I am no longer burdened by all these insecurities anymore. It helps me cope, and maintain a respectable look. Alll we can do it keep on fighting until the inevitable.

I am religiously applying minioxidil every night.

nyjrb

Established Member
Reaction score
shook, I trust your honesty. In your opinion do you think that my final pattern is a NW6 like yours?

BackSoThickHoesWantTheTip

Established Member
Reaction score
I realized today that I essentially have a "Comb-over". My hair looks thick and full as long as it is styled to one side. As soon as I run my hands through it or mess it around, Diffuse loss and receding temples become apparent.

I had this realization today when I was out and about and noticed that my hair got blown around in the wind. I ran into the nearest restroom in a panic, looked in the mirror and saw scalp on the top of my head and was frantically fixing and pushing it to one side when this revelation hit me.
I never even thought about it as a comb-over before. I would just see a thin spot and move my hair around to cover it.

Right now my hair loss could probably be described as minor. As long as it's styled right it's hidden. But to be only 25 and to be having the early stages of a comb over, was a reality check and got me fearful for what is to come next.
what you need to do is keep the hair on top a certain length, where its long enough to fover up any bald spots but short enough so the wind wont affect it

nyjrb

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to take your advice, Shook. My paranoia about my hair has increased since I've realized how "heavily diffused" I am, and you're right, buzzing it will probably not help that. I just have this fear that I have the same pattern as my dad and brother. They slowly receded for a few years, and then BAM! Diffuse loss hit and they went to a nw6 in about 2 years.

- - - Updated - - -

The thing is their hairloss didn't seem to kick in until their thirties. So I'm actually experiencing it at a younger age. Which I'm assuming isn't a good sign for my future.

shookwun

Reaction score
I would avoid it for your own peace of mind. keep the sides, and back low faded & tapered. keep length on the top, but find a happy medium.

Honestly bro... if you buzz it I guarantee you will feel bad & it will look like crap. Hair will grow in patchy, and color will be uneven making a spot appearance.

rebuv

Reaction score
Same happened to me while driving , wind fuks my hair and i hate it , my hair is very similar to urs except for i don't have much temple recession and I'm only 21 , i don't think i will still have hair by 25 bcuz of non stop shedding.
i tried buzz cut bk in Aug 2015 ( it was when i found my diffusion ) and i ended up wearing hat till it grew a lil bit so i can hide my diffusion it were the worse months ever , don't u ever buzz it (i mean as long as u have hair to cover up)!!. I know how it feels , every time u chk ur hair and see tht much of diffusion u feel like just shaving it off.