Comb Over?!?

nyjrb

Established Member
Reaction score
I realized today that I essentially have a "Comb-over". My hair looks thick and full as long as it is styled to one side. As soon as I run my hands through it or mess it around, Diffuse loss and receding temples become apparent.

I had this realization today when I was out and about and noticed that my hair got blown around in the wind. I ran into the nearest restroom in a panic, looked in the mirror and saw scalp on the top of my head and was frantically fixing and pushing it to one side when this revelation hit me.
I never even thought about it as a comb-over before. I would just see a thin spot and move my hair around to cover it.

Right now my hair loss could probably be described as minor. As long as it's styled right it's hidden. But to be only 25 and to be having the early stages of a comb over, was a reality check and got me fearful for what is to come next.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I realized today that I essentially have a "Comb-over". My hair looks thick and full as long as it is styled to one side. As soon as I run my hands through it or mess it around, Diffuse loss and receding temples become apparent.

I had this realization today when I was out and about and noticed that my hair got blown around in the wind. I ran into the nearest restroom in a panic, looked in the mirror and saw scalp on the top of my head and was frantically fixing and pushing it to one side when this revelation hit me.
I never even thought about it as a comb-over before. I would just see a thin spot and move my hair around to cover it.

Right now my hair loss could probably be described as minor. As long as it's styled right it's hidden. But to be only 25 and to be having the early stages of a comb over, was a reality check and got me fearful for what is to come next.

oh man... you are like the twin brother I never knew I had, and from New York. I hear you man. There's nothing you can do but use hair spray or cut it short. I have a feeling your hair would look good cut down to an 8 guard and with short sides and back. Then just brush it forward, add a touch of hair fibers if you'd like for special occasions.

BackSoThickHoesWantTheTip

Established Member
Reaction score

share some pics :)

SniperWolfMR

Established Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I hate myself for this, for I am able to conceal fairly well with a combover. When my friends invite me to go out to do some during the day (walk around in the city, etc) the first thing I think about is my hair. Will it cooperate with me that morning? Will I spray it with enough hairspray to last as long as I'll be out? Will it be WINDY. **** man, do you hate when the wind starts blowing and you need to angle your head to the perfect degree so it's doesn't **** up your hair, so afraid someone will notice me doing that. What a ****ty way to live. If I woke up with a full head tomorrow, I would never be unhappy again, no matter what the **** happens to me. I fantasize about shaving it off.

nyjrb

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is an example of my hair: https://youtu.be/RhkW1W3OCEk
Probably not the best example and I realize that I only have a relatively small amount of hairloss, but I swear it looks worse in person.

Fullhead1day

Established Member
Reaction score
So glad i cut my hair short. Highly recommend, since its summer. Got around a 6 on top, 4 on the sides.. looks really great, dont have to worry about the wind AT ALL. Plus all my dutasteride gains came recently, absolute perfect timing. Never been this relieved in my life.

SniperWolfMR

Established Member
Reaction score
So glad i cut my hair short. Highly recommend, since its summer. Got around a 6 on top, 4 on the sides.. looks really great, dont have to worry about the wind AT ALL. Plus all my dutasteride gains came recently, absolute perfect timing. Never been this relieved in my life.

Were you on finasteride before?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Most people who go above NW2 do some sort of comb over. Sometimes it genuinely works, especially at lower Norwood stages or for diffuse thinners. There comes a point where it no longer works though, have to know when to call it and buzz your head, not too late, but not too early either.

nyjrb

Established Member
Reaction score
how is that a combover? you're just swiping your hair to one side, its not like you're trying to cover your hairline... are you?
I have to have my hair swiped to the side to cover my diffuse loss on top. Hence why I said it's a comb over. I'm not concerned about hiding my hairline, I don't think there's any need.

nyjrb

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what norwood I am, but for those curious this is what my hairline looks like when I push back my hair.
IMG_3375.JPGIMG_3379.JPGIMG_3402.JPGIMG_3401.JPG

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A norwood 1.5 with barely any loss?

nyjrb

Established Member
Reaction score
at least you got to keep it though ''university'' years. Im losing mine and I'm only 18... Been on finasteride 7 months already and no change
Hairloss sucks at every age. I think 25 is still young. And although I'm having hairloss is sure to effect my future and the person I'll be. At this rate I may not have much hair by the time I'm 45, and while that may seem "old" now, it's really not.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man when you were finasteride did you basically shed constantly? Or did you have periods where you like didn't shed?

Also random question, but does your name happen to be Dylan? Your hair looks just like my friend's...

nyjrb

Established Member
Reaction score
I have periods of shedding.
Nope, the name's not Dylan. How does he feel about his loss?