Can someone explain Density % to me?

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am looking to order a stock unit from Lavivid. One of them is 90% density and the other one is 130%. According to Lavivid's density chart 130 is "medium density" and 90 is "light density". My stylist said if I get one that is too thick she can thin it out, but I just want to make sure I dont go too thick.

Is 130% potentially too thick of a density??? Please help! LOL

Thanks guys :)

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
ideally the more natural density is a medium light which is around 95-110% which varies from vendor to vendor. But it does depend of your age and the density that will fit your age and your style. a man of 50 would be hard pushed to pull off 130% but a guy of 20 would be ok with it. BUT having said that it does depend of the individual. Some people , like those from India and Italy can pull off higher density then some others. Personally i use 100-110% density and that looks very natural.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems to me that there is no standard density percentage scale in the hair system industry, so if you bought 2 systems from 2 different companies with the same percentage density, there could be some difference. Generally, though, I think it's a good safe bet to go for a medium or medium-light density, and is a good starting point for most guys. This seems to be what many stock systems are. It won't be ridiculously thick or thin. You can then adjust the density accordingly to your own particular needs if you order a custom system later on if you want to go thicker or thinner.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Density rating is different for each supplier and what you want will depend on your age.

130% sounds frightening though. And your stylist can't remove the 'roots' when they thin it out i.e. they will just use thinning shears - which is actually OK everywhere except at the hairline.

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just ordered a and all lace system with 130%. It was ordered from lavivid and I wear my hair medium length and it was recommended by lavivid that 130% would be fine

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems to me that there is no standard density percentage scale in the hair system industry, so if you bought 2 systems from 2 different companies with the same percentage density, there could be some difference. Generally, though, I think it's a good safe bet to go for a medium or medium-light density, and is a good starting point for most guys. This seems to be what many stock systems are. It won't be ridiculously thick or thin. You can then adjust the density accordingly to your own particular needs if you order a custom system later on if you want to go thicker or thinner.
Thanks for your info and advice man! I think you're right about starting lighter. I'm probably gonna go with a unit with 95 density and increase in the future if need be
Density rating is different for each supplier and what you want will depend on your age.

130% sounds frightening though. And your stylist can't remove the 'roots' when they thin it out i.e. they will just use thinning shears - which is actually OK everywhere except at the hairline.
Ah, I gotcha. So it sounds like if it's too dense it's difficult to effectively thin it out completely. I think you're right, 130 may be a bit bold, I'm thinking I'll go conservative to start and do 95. Thanks for the info man!
ideally the more natural density is a medium light which is around 95-110% which varies from vendor to vendor. But it does depend of your age and the density that will fit your age and your style. a man of 50 would be hard pushed to pull off 130% but a guy of 20 would be ok with it. BUT having said that it does depend of the individual. Some people , like those from India and Italy can pull off higher density then some others. Personally i use 100-110% density and that looks very natural.
Yea man 100-110 would be what I'd like to start out with too. But with stock units u gotta go with how it comes. I'm thinking I'll go with a unit that is 95% and I've seen some youtubers that reviewed this unit and looks pretty good so I just have to give it a shot and go from there. I think you're right about 130, probably too dense for me. Thanks for the info bro!

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
80% = light density.
100% = medium light density.
130% = medium density.

Less is more, I'm going for light density eventually. And a full french lace base.

Medium density looks stupid/fake as it's too dense in my 30's unless your like 18-19.

Mine is medium light density in my display pic.
Thanks bro, that is very helpful info! I'm definitely not gonna do the 130 now, my only option with Lavivid stock is a 95 which I think will work, and a 100 with a different company....itll be between those.

Good to know that the 130 is just too dense, I dont want that for sure

Your hair system in your profile looks great btw!

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
It continues to amaze me the amount of maintenance and thought, too, that these systems take.
the only thought i have at the moment with my hair is WHERE THE HELL TO FIND LACE SYSTEMS ATM.. ha.. other then that.. maintenance is 1hr max every 3 weeks.. and maybe a touch up at the hairline for about 15mins when it needs it in those 3 weeks. its amazing having hair , so for me its a blessing to have this available.. i pray the hair system industry bounces back soon, i am anxious about where to find the systems nowdays!

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
the only thought i have at the moment with my hair is WHERE THE HELL TO FIND LACE SYSTEMS ATM.. ha.. other then that.. maintenance is 1hr max every 3 weeks.. and maybe a touch up at the hairline for about 15mins when it needs it in those 3 weeks. its amazing having hair , so for me its a blessing to have this available.. i pray the hair system industry bounces back soon, i am anxious about where to find the systems nowdays!
With the shortages, especially for lace units, are you still using lace or have you switched to poly or poly thin skin?

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Easy if your UK based?
Plenty of lace base hair system companies in the UK still. But mostly custom systems.
I thought that only chicks were into lace. Every time that I come in here and see "lace" it surprises me. I am glad there's something seemingly comfortable.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm sure many are aware of Michael Joseph, a hair system Youtuber. Actually a very nice and positive guy, I really like him, but his systems look way too dense and not very realistic (which he actually says he's going for unrealistic, so whatever LOL).
But I'm wondering if this infinity model is a density of 130, it just says medium density on LH website with no specific percentage, but as you can see in video it's crazy dense on MJ, and definitely a look I do not want

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I'm currently wearing a 95% density lace unit, but the front bangs area has thinned out pretty significant in just 2 months. All of the rest of the unit is still great, it's just the front has thinned to point where I have to comb bangs to the side just to look "ok".

I'm thinking I may need to go a higher Density to help with this.
Lavivid has a skin unit of 115 density.
Could this help the longevity of the front bangs area?
Does anyone have any tips or suggestions that may help with slowing the front thinning, or is it just the unit itself that may be prone to this quick frontal thinning?

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I'm currently wearing a 95% density lace unit, but the front bangs area has thinned out pretty significant in just 2 months. All of the rest of the unit is still great, it's just the front has thinned to point where I have to comb bangs to the side just to look "ok".

What I and many others do in this case is carefully cut the hairline back a little (no more than half an inch) using the template as a guode and stretch the piece slightly lengthwise when attaching it to cover the area you need.

In the meantime order a replacement.

I'm thinking I may need to go a higher Density to help with this.
Lavivid has a skin unit of 115 density.
Could this help the longevity of the front bangs area?

Yes, the less hair is on it to begin with, the faster it will wear out. BUT if you are happy with the 95% density, i would suggest you replace it more frequently instead of increasing the density.

With stocks, I tend to prefer densities in the 110-120% range myself, and will tweeze the front as necessary if the hairline isn't nicely graduated. I think this preference is partly rooted in a mistrust of the factories, an anticipation that the pieces are going to come back "patchy", with areas that are too dense and others that are too sparse, but this is most common with v-looped skin bases.