brutal norwood 5/6 hairtransplant result

Pacho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I remember my surgeon saying the same at the time that it was one of the best hair types he saw. I think if I included mid scalp + crown, I believe 3.5k would be suffice to give illusion of good density. FUE tends to max out at 6-7k and then after it's FUT. I'm hoping you can thicken up your crown with the topical approach but you did the right thing anyway with the 1.2k grafts you had - it wouldn't have made much difference to add to the midscalp but instead lowering the hairline you have a perfect frame and can slick it over. That goes a long way with aesthetics even if there is some balding, looks natural with age. Of course we all want perfect density all over but when in such a situation you did the right thing. You have a good beard and perhaps the hair below your chin could be used as a density filler for the crown/midscalp, interspersed with donor hair. But right now I would just give medication a chance with rolling and see the impact that has.
can you do fue first and fut later?

Pacho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah but the opposite is recommended. FUT is dor the bulk of hair to rebuild the hairline and FUE for density and temple point touch ups.
sucks, bc once you go fut you really go all in in the hair game, no point in shaving it off i assume…even though thats probably the same with fue..

but for some reason most surgeon seem to offer fue these days?

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
can you do fue first and fut later?

You can but to get maximum benefit, it's FUT first. As if you do FUE first you get scarring and density loss which will limit the strip utility.

FUT should be encourage for people with limited donor and aggressive hair loss as it's there best bet in getting decent hair. Unless one goes to Dr Zarev who leaves a clean donor, most people get way too much scarring and donor depletion before filling out all the top area.

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can but to get maximum benefit, it's FUT first. As if you do FUE first you get scarring and density loss which will limit the strip utility.

FUT should be encourage for people with limited donor and aggressive hair loss as it's there best bet in getting decent hair. Unless one goes to Dr Zarev who leaves a clean donor, most people get way too much scarring and donor depletion before filling out all the top area.
For NW3+ FUT is a must if you want to get back to full NW1.
sucks, bc once you go fut you really go all in in the hair game, no point in shaving it off i assume…even though thats probably the same with fue..

but for some reason most surgeon seem to offer fue these days?
As Joe Tillman says, once you are cut, you are cut. Even FUE. Look up shaved FUE heads, you will se that the once cut always cut meme is real.

Pacho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

As Joe Tillman says, once you are cut, you are cut. Even FUE. Look up shaved FUE heads, you will se that the once cut always cut meme is real.
so if you have the potential to receed back to norwood 5 you should start with fut first right

is it even offered these days by surgeon outside the usa/canada though? i dont follow the scene so much but for example turkish surgeon seem to go with fue only right? so as a european you would have fly all the way to vancouver?

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so if you have the potential to receed back to norwood 5 you should start with fut first right

is it even offered these days by surgeon outside the usa/canada though? i dont follow the scene so much but for example turkish surgeon seem to go with fue only right? so as a european you would have fly all the way to vancouver?
Pretty sure there are reputable surgeons who do FUT in Europe, I think ******** does FUT and he is a good surgeon. But if you stabilise your loss with finasteride and have a small area to cover, you can get away with 2 FUEs, that is if the medication is working for you.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score

I wouldn't say anyone Norwood 3+ must do FUT first. It really depends on hair calibre, donor density, head size etc. I've seen people up to NW5 with dark thick hair calibre get really nice results and I think I would fall into that bracket. If one has fine/medium hair, anything above Norwood 4 usually needs FUT. Yeah FUE scars eventually do add up but if I was a baldy I wouldn't care for normal FUT/FUE scars (without over-harvesting) as long as I had good hair on top. FUT is a very good tool anyway to prevent that ridiculous donor balding look. You see in some members that only went FUE, they ended up with crap hair on top and also a bald donor and a hole in their wallet. Dr. Feller has a point about FUT utility.

Pretty sure there are reputable surgeons who do FUT in Europe, I think ******** does FUT and he is a good surgeon. But if you stabilise your loss with finasteride and have a small area to cover, you can get away with 2 FUEs, that is if the medication is working for you.

Yeah I was in that second category with minimal loss, so I just opted for FUE and meds. Seeing what hair loss did physically to some family members, I am glad to have dodged this bullet. If I was heading for Norwood 6 I would have started with FUT despite good dark hair, for those with average hair the cut off is Norwood 4 I believe for FUE only.

Pacho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
what name got censored lol?

im trying to hold on with medication as long as possible, so maybe i wont need a transplant. however if i ever come to this point where i need a transplant i want to be ready

Pacho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn't say anyone Norwood 3+ must do FUT first. It really depends on hair calibre, donor density, head size etc. I've seen people up to NW5 with dark thick hair calibre get really nice results and I think I would fall into that bracket. If one has fine/medium hair, anything above Norwood 4 usually needs FUT. Yeah FUE scars eventually do add up but if I was a baldy I wouldn't care for normal FUT/FUE scars (without over-harvesting) as long as I had good hair on top. FUT is a very good tool anyway to prevent that ridiculous donor balding look. You see in some members that only went FUE, they ended up with crap hair on top and also a bald donor and a hole in their wallet. Dr. Feller has a point about FUT utility.

Yeah I was in that second category with minimal loss, so I just opted for FUE and meds. Seeing what hair loss did physically to some family members, I am glad to have dodged this bullet. If I was heading for Norwood 6 I would have started with FUT despite good dark hair, for those with average hair the cut off is Norwood 4 I believe for FUE only.
but is my impression right that many surgeon shift to fue (only)?

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
what name got censored lol?

im trying to hold on with medication as long as possible, so maybe i wont need a transplant. however if i ever come to this point where i need a transplant i want to be ready
Meds will make sure you wont need a transplant for a long time. And even if you do need one meds will still be slowing the hair loss down extremelly.
Name is B i s a n g a, idk most probably dont wont to comercialize docs or smthn

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Yeah everyone is a different case and race. African(black) hair or curly hair transplants are a whole different beast compared to straight hair transplants. You cant get FUE if you have extremely curly hair, you only have FUT pretty much.

Pacho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
howdo you know if youhave thin or coarse hair? that just looks like regular hair to me

Pacho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@doubleindemnity

he has your norwood level and type of hair

https://www.instagram.com/p/By6PRP_H-xx/?hair loss=de

keep making up excuses

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
@doubleindemnity

he has your norwood level and type of hair

keep making up excuses
Dr Zarev doesn't take consultations any more because his clinic is booked up so much. I think that there isn't even a contact email address there anymore. There, they got over 11,000 grafts. For me, every clinic has said that they can get around 3000 grafts from the scalp. Even with Dr Zarev's potentially superior extraction methods, they won't be able to get more than double 3000 = 6000. This guy has gray hair so it looks like he's an older guy who has been able to maintain his donor over time. They told me that they wouldn't extract much from the sides above the ear, as they did for him, because it's thinning and not safe. In addition, my sides may be dropping lower; there is some thinning there around the horseshoe (on top of the retrograde described in the previous sentence).

If you want to cherry pick good candidates then go ahead. We know that the best doctors can do incredible things with good candidates. With enough donor to work with, the FUE doctors are doing absolutely incredible things. They can't do that with a bad candidate.

Pacho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dr Zarev doesn't take consultations any more because his clinic is booked up so much. I think that there isn't even a contact email address there anymore. There, they got over 11,000 grafts. For me, every clinic has said that they can get around 3000 grafts from the scalp. Even with Dr Zarev's potentially superior extraction methods, they won't be able to get more than double 3000 = 6000. This guy has gray hair so it looks like he's an older guy who has been able to maintain his donor over time. They told me that they wouldn't extract much from the sides above the ear, as they did for him, because it's thinning and not safe. In addition, my sides may be dropping lower; there is some thinning there around the horseshoe (on top of the retrograde described in the previous sentence).

If you want to cherry pick good candidates then go ahead. We know that the best doctors can do incredible things with good candidates. With enough donor to work with, the FUE doctors are doing absolutely incredible things. They can't do that with a bad candidate.
its over

Caillou

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dr Zarev is really good, great coverage all over and lovely hairline, so natural and he is amazing at keeping the donor clean looking. BUT...all results are with people that have dark coarse hair which really should not be interpreted as the norm result wise. Not to say he can't do a job on people with fine/medium hair, but it won't look anywhere as good as this. If I ever lose density elsewhere, I would definitely pay for this guy as he really makes use of the grafts and he is used to working on similar hair/ethnicity. Can imagine he will almost match my hair as it is now, that's how great he is.
His only issue is the cost tbh. 50k Euros are not a small amount

Caillou

My Regimen
Reaction score
Go to Turkey. Best price/quality.
I don't think anyone in Turkey would be able to produce the same result with a NW6. Many surgeons in Turkey use absurd amounts like +6000 grafts for only a NW3 to produce decent results