Bicalutamide as oral antiandrogen

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
My maternal grandfather wasn't bald in his 70s or 80s nor was his father (my great-grandfather). Old doesn't equal bald you know.

keepinthehair

Established Member
Reaction score
If your great grandfater retained his density, fullness, color, etc at 80 then he is the first for me.

Your missing everyone's point here who is trying to help. You will never have the chance to be 22 again. True wisdom is the ability to learn from others and avoid repeating their mistakes.

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
My maternal grandfather went white early and he did lose some overall density in his 70s and 80s but the guy had as good a head of hair as one can reasonably ask for. His father not only had good hair but also retained his hair color even as an old man (It is hard to tell from black and white photos but this appears to be true). Color doesn't matter much to me though anyway. My dad and his brother are in their mid-late fifties and both still have 95% their natural color but have thin spots on the crown. My dad said I would keep my hair color like him but not get a thin spot and instead keep a full head of hair like my maternal grandfather. In other words, I was supposed to be the next Reagan.

Losing my sex drive will not take away from my youth but losing my hairline has caused serious problems for me. I know most guys think differently than me but you need to understand that I have cried many times over my hairline and if I could have willed my instant death I would have be dead because of it. I really wouldn't miss my sex drive. I have Asperger's and view the world through a whole different lens than other guys. My T levels are high but none of the behavioral aspects of having high T apply to me. I don't drink alcohol nor do I want to. I hate cigarette smoke. I don't have the slightest desire to have sex. And so on.

el_duterino

Reaction score
No Sex
No Drugs
No booze
No smoke

That's tough...
Are you allowed to wank from time to time ?

seriously

Since you already suffer from a mental illness (Asperger), you should be very careful with oral anti-androgens. Those can induce depression and cause mood swings, as well as tiredeness and brain fog.
I was on flutamide and experience those side as well.

We are not only talking about sex side effects here.

The most important point for you to understand is that any results from an oral anti-androgens will very closely match the results from a powerful topical anti-androgen like RU, including potential regrowth if your hair follicles can do it in the abscence of androgens.

Preston

Reaction score
I'll be very succint :

- you have a mature hairline

- you have no hairloss

- you're nuts
go see a psychiatrist and talk about your hair problem , wich is IN your head and not on top of it .

BB

metadalll

Reaction score
you have absolutely no visible hair loss, and i'm not just saying that, i have more receded temples than you and it turns out that's how they've always been...and you're thinking about oral spironolactone and sh*t? come on man that will literally turn you into a woman (tran-sexuals take it for obvious reasons)
LISTEN TO ME VERY CAREFULLY ILL SAY IT AGAIN-you have no hairloss and you're clearly over analyzing this

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't have severe baldness but my hairline is far from perfect. I know some of you would kill for my hairline but it is clearly not very good. It has receded and needs to be treated so that I can be handsome again. If I had a good hairline I would be dangerous. All the chicks would be all over me. I know it lol.

metadalll

Reaction score
okay so you say you're headed for a nw2 around 40? you realize a nw2 isn't even classified as having male pattern baldness right?

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
Whatever, I don't know when I said I was only headed for a Norwood 2 around 40. I'm already there. Anyway can anyone actually address the original question of this thread which is bicalutamide as an oral AA. My Total T levels are in by the way and a bit high at 751. Free T is 109. This would probably be more like 800 and 120 if I got them done in the morning rather than afternoon. I plan to start oral spironolactone on Sept. 1. Is this other AA more powerful? Should I save it as a last resort?

metadalll

Reaction score
Lloyd Braun said:
My dad and his brother both have hairline like I do and they didn't really have any loss beyond the Norwood 2 until around age 40 when they got crown thinning. I guess maybe I am headed there but I don't know.
thats when you said that...and if you really don't care about your sex drive or even having sex, why don't you just cut your balls off? there problem solved

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Besides the fact no antiandrogen is going to change what is just a naturally high hairline, it's not going to make you start growing hair in the middle of your forehead.

You're not balding, you've not receded. There's no reason for you to have ever even registered on a hairloss forum, let alone be setting up your own. You need to talk to a doctor before you do irreversible damage to yourself for no reason.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Lloyd Braun said:
Whatever, I don't know when I said I was only headed for a Norwood 2 around 40. I'm already there. Anyway can anyone actually address the original question of this thread which is bicalutamide as an oral AA. My Total T levels are in by the way and a bit high at 751. Free T is 109. This would probably be more like 800 and 120 if I got them done in the morning rather than afternoon. I plan to start oral spironolactone on Sept. 1. Is this other AA more powerful? Should I save it as a last resort?

Your question has already been answered. Bicalutamide orally is far more potent and effective than spironolactone. Thats why its used for prostate cancer and spironolactone isnt. Maybe spironolactone at very high doses like 600mg everyday might be better but you would certainly get hyperkalemia, extremely low blood pressure and who knows what else. Its just not even close to safe at those levels.

Secondly your Test levels arent even high. They are still in the normal reference range. Lowering T isnt your answer unless you lower to the levels of a castrate. You think if you lower your T a little you will get regrwoth? Your losing or lost some hair at the hairline because your follicles are genetically sensitive to DHT. Not because your T levels are on the high level of NORMAL.

Ask that poster KWIH on HLH to pull his hair back, I bet he didnt regrow all his hairline. I bet the shape of his hairline looks like your does now. antiandrogens probably wont grow back the corners of your hairline(toughest, most resistant place to treat hands down). You need a combiniation of things. But this post is probably just a waste of my time anyway. You seem hell bent on drowning yourself in oral antiandrogens with the expectation of growing your juvenile hairline back. Try if you must, but you will have to get the androgen stimulus at your hair follicles to castrate levels and even then you may not notice much of anything at all. But it will stop any further or future loss. But you will get tits growing.

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay then I will start with oral spironolactone at 50 mg. KWIH did post photo of his hairline with his hair slicked back. The results are amazing. IF you can't finasteride them then I will repost them here. I have a theory that the hairline corners can be done away with by T alone. That is why guys sometimes keep thick hair but have some corner recession beyond a mature hairline but not quite a Norwood 3. See my latest post on spironolactone guys blog for examples of two politicians that almost surely suffer from high T and have very similar hairlines. http://spiroguys.wordpress.com/2011/08/ ... nd-weiner/

metadalll

Reaction score
wow man, this may be the biggest overreaction to nothing i have ever seen on this forum or in my life, look lloyd, i'm not just trying to poke fun and give you a hard time here, i'm really trying to warn you about this and keep you from doing something potentially very stupid/dangerous/wasteful...i mean come on you're already on finasteride aren't you? and i know you refuse to believe it but you really dont even need the finasteride! and now you're starting oral spironolactone!!!! WTF :puke:

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
Why do so many people not see my hair loss? They think I have perfectly fine hair. A receding hairline is a receding hairline. I'm crushed because I always thought I would have my maternal grandfather's hair and I now realize that is not the case. The guy had better hair than me in his 60s. Ridiculous.

Oh and did I mention that taking oral spironolactone is a perfectly sane thing to do? Not crazy!

metadalll

Reaction score
look bro, this is gonna be my last attempt at persuading you, IMO you have a big forehead, there it is...if YOU think you have a receding hairline, then just stay on the big 3 if you really want to, that should be MORE THAN ENOUGH, GIVE IT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i don't know why your heart is set on oral spironolactone, why don't you just get a hair transplant if you're really this disturbed by it, atleast then you'll have a functioning member, oh i forgot, you don't need that... :jackit: youre gonna miss this once you're on spironolactone :jackit:

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Lloyd Braun said:
Why do so many people not see my hair loss?

Because you don't have any.

Lloyd Braun said:
They think I have perfectly fine hair.

You do.

Lloyd Braun said:
A receding hairline is a receding hairline.

And you don't have one.

Lloyd Braun said:
I always thought I would have my maternal grandfather's hair and I now realize that is not the case. The guy had better hair than me in his 60s. Ridiculous.

You don't. You aren't him. His forehead is smaller than yours. That is all.

Lloyd Braun said:
Oh and did I mention that taking oral spironolactone is a perfectly sane thing to do? Not crazy!

Nope, it's crazy.

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
Go to my spironolactone guys blog to see my baseline pics that I uploaded. The hairline is receding. Nobody without Androgenetic Alopecia has a hairline like that at my age. Do you see the thinning? I'm using oral spironolactone to get back my hairline. It is now or never. Then I can do great things in life.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with your baseline pics at all.

Your mental illness is clouding your judgement.

And if I have to be brutally honest your acne (though minor) is far worse than any supposed hairloss you suffer, obsess over that instead maybe. :dunno:

You can do anything you cocking-well like with your life, your hairline is going to have no impact on that whatsoever.