Bicalutamide as oral antiandrogen

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
I am planning to go on oral spironolactone after I get my testosterone levels (I just had blood drawn Tuesday) but have been looking into alternative medicines. One that has piqued my interest is Bicalutamide which is supposed to be a potent non-steroidal antiandrogen. My problem is my hairline corners, which have receded quite badly. I probably wouldn't mind if I didn't already have a high hairline to start with but it really has a negative impact on my life. See my pics below.

I want hairline regrowth and I would be taking an AA with the equal goal of curing my acne which has been persistent no matter what I use to treat it. A third, but less important, hope is that my facial hair thins and/or grows less vigorously.

Keep in mind that I don't care about "sexual side effects" of any antiandrogen except I do not want to grow boobs (I will give a drug a chance even if gyno is a side effect just as as long as I have a reasonable chance of NOT getting it). If I had to choose my ability to procreate and my sex drive or a good hairline, I would choose the latter. I don't understand how any guy could think differently. I am not going to cry or want to die because of the absence of a sex drive but I do cry and want to die because of my hairline sometimes. Thanks for your help guys.

Rashan

Reaction score
If I were you, I'd look to start off with Topical Casodex before jumping into oral Bicalutamide. See how your body responds since the sides are way less severe than the oral medication.

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
but I do cry and want to die because of my hairline sometimes.

then u hav deep seeded emotional problems stemming from something else. u need to get some professional help. im not hav a go at u, im serious.

im sorry to say, but if it does get worse, youll look bak at this stage of ur life and wish u had made the most of it while u still have it. I know from personal experience. trying to stop baldness is like chasing a rainbow. the closer u think ur getting, the further away u r. (maybe a bad analogy lol)

wat i mean is each year it gets worse, and u wish for last years hairline. U chase regrowth, but end up being worse off than if u had of just stopped its progression.

make the most of now dude. youll regret it later if u dont. Treatments may help, or they may do nothing or even make it worse. The best possible thing u can do is forget about it and focus on something else. I know its hard.

Try to stop standing close to the mirror, stand 1 metre back so that u see urself the way others see u. That way youll see its not as bad as u think. many people on here would kill to hav ur hair.

T

TravisB

Man, your hair is perfect, you look like you have naturally high hairline.

We are men, hairloss just happens, deal with it.

T

TravisB

Bicalutamide? This is probably a very, I mean VERY strong anti androgen, since it's used for advanced prostate cancer treatment. Side effects of it could be serious, even from topical.

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
TravisB said:
Man, your hair is perfect, you look like you have naturally high hairline.

We are men, hairloss just happens, deal with it.

My hair loss could be worse that's for sure but my hairline is very far from perfect. I did start out with a high hairline which definitely makes it worse. My recession would be bearable if the whole hairline started out at a more normal place--maybe 1/2" lower.

As for hair loss just happening because we are men, I beg to differ. Did you ever see Ronald Reagan's hair? How about Andrew Napolitano's? My maternal grandfather also had great hair, although he did slowly progress from a Norwood 0 to a Norwood 2 from age 30 to age 70. Here are three pics of him. One is him when he is in his late 20s. The second is him in his thirties. The other is him around age 70.

T

TravisB

What I was trying to say is that it does not happen to EVERY man, but it can potentially happen to every man. Hairloss is a problem of millions of men all around the world. It is a lottery, and those who experience it are just unlucky. This is unfair, because every idiot, worthless (murderer etc.), with unhealthy lifestyle man can have a full head of hair, and a normal good, healthy man can be bald.

Lottery, just lottery...

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
How old are you LLoyd ?

Your hairline isn't really that bad at all, it's more or less the same as mine from 21 - present. Point being it could just be a mature hairline.

I never even bothered about the front, i just cared when the crown started going.

Would you consider propecia? And tackling the acne with some topical antibiotics instead.

It just seems like a more proven route, that will stop any further hair loss (if that hair loss is going to happen)

Good luck anyway.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bicalutamide will give you breats for sure. Esp in combo with finasteride. finasteride plus antiandrogens pretty much results in gyno all the time.

Secondly, you will not grow hair simply by cutting off all androgen supply to your follicles. The corners of the frontal hairline are the hardest areas to grow by far. Even castrates wont grow much back at all their.

What you need is a multi-pronged attack. You need, antiandrogens, Hypertrichotics, anti-inflammatories and anti-fibrotic agents. The sum of all these things will give you the best chance of regrowing some hair there.

el_duterino

Reaction score
Anti androgens will not regrow hair or produce a major/visibile cosmetic improvement, but will stop further hairloss.

Oral anti-androgens cannot be used long term for men because of the side effects..for a young guy like you, you won't be able top have decent erections and a normal life after a while and as long as you use the drug..pretty silly unless you are fighting for your life against prostate cancer.

The good news is that you can have all the hair effects of an oral anti-androgen but without the side effects by using a topical anti-androgen with a strong local effect - and very little systemic effect.

You should look into topical RU, this would work great in your case since you still have most your terminal hair.

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey el_duterino, I remember you from HLH. You have probably seen KWIH's regrowth from oral spironolactone right? That's what I'm going by and I expect regrowth if I have high T levels. The test results should be in any day. I can live a normal life without erections but that is impossible to do with my hairline. It seems downright silly to put an erection before a hairline. Erections are nice but losing them wouldn't really affect my quality of life the way my hairline does. I don't understand why some guys would put erections before hairlines. Bizarre.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Because most men plan on falling in love, having lasting relationships, getting married, having kids rather than making themselves impotent when their hairline is totally fine.

You should seek help, you don't sound like you're thinking clearly. :dunno:

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
Lloyd Braun said:
I don't understand why some guys would put erections before hairlines. Bizarre.

How old are you?

Why is propecia not an option?

You never miss something till it's gone, trust me, erections are a symptom of someone feeling like a man, not some happy coincidence. You f** your hormones so you can't get an erection, just popping a v**** changes nothing.

A diesel engine is built to run on diesel, A gas engine is built to run on gas (petrol for us brits), a women is born to run on estrogen, a man is built to run on testosterone.

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
I am 22. I am on 1.25 mg of finasteride daily since April 20, 2011. I don't care about erections and would never take a v****. I'm not going to miss my erections. I DON'T CARE ABOUT MY SEX DRIVE. There, I said it! My hairline affects me so deeply but I could car eless about sex drive. I'm not going to cry over lost erections. I never even had sex in my life. who cares. I need to have what is important to me and that is a good hairline.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
Lloyd Braun said:
I am 22. I am on 1.25 mg of finasteride daily since April 20, 2011. I don't care about erections and would never take a v****. I'm not going to miss my erections. I DON'T CARE ABOUT MY SEX DRIVE. There, I said it! My hairline affects me so deeply but I could car eless about sex drive. I'm not going to cry over lost erections. I never even had sex in my life. who cares. I need to have what is important to me and that is a good hairline.

Okay have you ever cared about your sex drive? some people really don't have one, and if your pissed off with feeling that people expect you to conform to having one that's cool dude, we just want the safest option for you.

Did finasteride effect it anyway?

Did finasteride effect your hairloss, it's getting to the point where it should kick in, and i'd at least give it another 2 months (and i'm impatient).

I'd wager you've stopped seeing hairloss, maybe not, but if that's the case, then I'd go down the route of a little RU.

Both of these treatments have more data on them regarding hairloss than Bicalutamide. So there's no need to go nuclear yet.

I noted you said you don't want anything topical, theoretical question what if a topical was the best option out there?

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
Well sorry if I was a bit irritable. But yeah, I do get erections and masturbate but I don't ever have the urge to have sex. I'm just a weird dude. I haven't noticed any difference with finasteride. My hair loss hasn't worsened since I noticed it really and I'm not sure if finasteride is helping. I have been using minoxidil until about six weeks ago so I am just waiting to get back to baseline after stopping. I swear that finasteride has been helping tiny hairs grow along my hairline though but we will see what happens in 3-4 months as the effects of no minoxidil become apparent.

My dad and his brother both have hairline like I do and they didn't really have any loss beyond the Norwood 2 until around age 40 when they got crown thinning. I guess maybe I am headed there but I don't know. I definitely don't have my maternal grandfather's hair which sucks because he had awesome hair his whole life and basically went from a Norwood 0 in his 20s to a Norwood 1 in his 40s to a Norwood 2 in his 60s-70s. I was always told I would get his hair--you know, the whole maternal grandfather myth. :dunno:

keepinthehair

Established Member
Reaction score
Lets looks at the inevitable facts, then make your informed decision as what to do.

Fact, If you live long enough, you will lose your sex drive.
Fact, If you live long enough, you will lose your hair.

Fact, you will never be 22 again.

Very likely...... You will wish you had sex more often, and or and a greater variety of women/men and ultimately a person who loves you without hair when you are older.

Very likely...... you will wish you had more/better hair/be taller/stronger/make more money................... but always wish you were younger as these fade with time.

Dont take my advice, it's not original, it is borrowed from many elderly man I speak with. Ask 10 bald men in their 70/80s what they would do.