Bayer Prolactin Receptor Antibody For Male And Female Pattern Hair Loss

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We can be sitting here with baited breath until next summer and then find out all the subjects regrew hair and then you gotta come up with 100k - so what good did it do us at that point that we know HMI is the cure?

Research-wise, even if you can't benefit from the treatment, it'd democratize the prolactin angle and pave the way for plenty of other treatments, aiming for a full cure in the longer run. Don't worry, be happy

Last edited:

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
By the way, I actually paid closer attention to this picture for the first time, we've been saying the monkeys retained their gains after treatment was discontinued, but these monkeys actually GAINED hair after treatment was discontinued. The monkey below (which is a female, right?) actually gains hair between 2 yrs without treatment and 4 years without treatment!!! How the f do you explain that???

We've been saying maybe the gains are retained because the Androgenetic Alopecia cascade takes a long time once it starts, but you actually are regrowing hair while the cascade is slowly happening? I suppose it's possible.

Even the monkey above seems to have gained thickness in some areas between yr 2 and 4 without, although he lost ground in other areas.

Last edited:

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Imagine selling HMI-115 to baldies for $2,000 while charging insurers $80,000 for HMI-115 for endometriosis. :D Never going to happen. If it takes a year of treatment then most people here probably won't be able to afford it.
Right! That's why I keep droning on about looking for alternative ways to attack the PRL angle. It's very plausible that this thing will be far beyond most of our price ranges, in other words it may as well not exist, even if it is the cure.
Research-wise, even if you can't benefit from the treatment, it'd democratize the prolactin angle and pave the way for plenty of other treatments, aiming for a full cure in the longer run. Don't worry, be happy
But:
a) How long will that take? Even HMI getting through trials will take years and when that's done, competitors looking to exploit the PRL angle will only be starting the R&D process. How long till that bears fruit? We'll all be in old folks' homes by then.
b) Who says that what they find will be affordable?
c) Who says anyone will bother - RU has been sitting there for years and no one's bothered to pursue it (maybe it's under patent, IDK). If Hope and Bayer have a patent on a cure, other companies might simply conclude there's nothing left for them.

We should be experimenting with the SMI we have and trying to find a dose/concentration that works and looking for other SMIs or other ways of attacking this angle.

LoWS

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, we should spread the word on Tressles and whatever other forums.

Well, the fact that there is a mass market for it doesn't mean they'll sell at a mass market price. Perhaps it can't even be produced at a mass market cost. If the price for existing antibody treatments is 100k, like trialAcc says, it could be comparable and if the price is 100k, for a lot of people, myself included, it may as well be 100 billion, that's completely out of my price range. I could sell everything I own and still be short.

So I disagree with the idea that we shouldn't worry about the price until we have the results, because what good are spectacular results if you can't ever have them. We can be sitting here with baited breath until next summer and then find out all the subjects regrew hair and then you gotta come up with 100k - so what good did it do us at that point that we know HMI is the cure? If this thing is gonna work for us, we either need to know it will be affordable or find some other drug to target the PRL angle with, because, again, if this thing is a cure, but costs 100k, for me, that's no different than there being no cure, because my finances simply cannot stretch that far, not even close, and I'm sure the same is true for a lot of people.
Cancer mAB cost 100k for a year on avg and if we take the covid antibody it comes close to 48k as trialacc said, so yeah mass market is a factor. Let's see what pans out , no point in fighting among ourselves about the price. If most of the hairloss suffers won't be able ro afford it what's the point of developing such a treatment in the first place , no matter how much effective it is. Then again there isn't a shortage of rich bald men so only time will tell. Atleast i can die in peace knowing that there was a treatment but i couldn't afford it.

LoWS

My Regimen
Reaction score
Moreover stress and anxiety may accelerate hair loss.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right! That's why I keep droning on about looking for alternative ways to attack the PRL angle. It's very plausible that this thing will be far beyond most of our price ranges, in other words it may as well not exist, even if it is the cure.
SMI-6 may work at a high enough dose, but I am not comfortable taking it at such doses. One thing people can hope for is that they proceed with development on that for cancer, and prove safety in humans. Other than that the best bet is something downstream of prolactin. To be honest I don't think there is much chance at all for getting a cheap molecule that will mimic the results of HMI-115 anytime soon. It will take many years to even find out how blocking the prolactin receptor grows hair. What would seem to be the likely candidates may not be able to be targeted with anything other than expensive peptides/antibodies or gene therapy. I'm afraid your best bet is to get a second job and save up for HMI-115 or a hair transplant

LoWS

My Regimen
Reaction score
If this works, i think this might be the first time in history a mAB will be used for a cosmetic treatment. @pegasus2 can you please tell why mAB is so expensive to manufacturing and is there a way to reduce production cost?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
If this works, i think this might be the first time in history a mAB will be used for a cosmetic treatment. @pegasus2 can you please tell why mAB is so expensive to manufacturing and is there a way to reduce production cost?
It takes a lot more time than synthesizing small molecules. Most of the cost is in the initial set up and profit margins. Most mAbs are more advanced and difficult to develop, they are more targeted, and generally have no effective competition, so they have substantial profit margins. They certainly have a lot of room for pricing flexibility, but they need to recoup the cost of their investment in developing the drug. That is more expensive than the production when scaled up. Don't expect them to sell it for less than what they can get away with. If they sold it for $2,000 they would probably need 10 million customers to make the same profit they would make selling it at $50,000 with just 100,000 customers, and when insurance is paying for the endo treatment there is absolutely no incentive to reduce the price.

Last edited:

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, we should spread the word on Tressles and whatever other forums.

Well, the fact that there is a mass market for it doesn't mean they'll sell at a mass market price. Perhaps it can't even be produced at a mass market cost. If the price for existing antibody treatments is 100k, like trialAcc says, it could be comparable and if the price is 100k, for a lot of people, myself included, it may as well be 100 billion, that's completely out of my price range. I could sell everything I own and still be short.

So I disagree with the idea that we shouldn't worry about the price until we have the results, because what good are spectacular results if you can't ever have them. We can be sitting here with baited breath until next summer and then find out all the subjects regrew hair and then you gotta come up with 100k - so what good did it do us at that point that we know HMI is the cure? If this thing is gonna work for us, we either need to know it will be affordable or find some other drug to target the PRL angle with, because, again, if this thing is a cure, but costs 100k, for me, that's no different than there being no cure, because my finances simply cannot stretch that far, not even close, and I'm sure the same is true for a lot of people.
It's not going to cost 100k, that would be insane. Think 20-40k is a reasonable estimate though.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not going to cost 100k, that would be insane. Think 20-40k is a reasonable estimate though.
I think he means 100k a year. 40k is 80k a year, so the two numbers aren't that far off. If it's going to be marketed as a 12 month treatment then that will be different, I think the price will have to be lower then.

HMI 115 IS THE CURE dude

My Regimen
Reaction score
By the way, I actually paid closer attention to this picture for the first time, we've been saying the monkeys retained their gains after treatment was discontinued, but these monkeys actually GAINED hair after treatment was discontinued. The monkey below (which is a female, right?) actually gains hair between 2 yrs without treatment and 4 years without treatment!!! How the f do you explain that???

We've been saying maybe the gains are retained because the Androgenetic Alopecia cascade takes a long time once it starts, but you actually are regrowing hair while the cascade is slowly happening? I suppose it's possible.

Even the monkey above seems to have gained thickness in some areas between yr 2 and 4 without, although he lost ground in other areas.
from the trichogram i think the pictures at 2 year without treatment show the best density . The 28 week picture is odd in that the trichogram looks incredible but the monkeys scalp still seems bald. I wonder if they used a consistent region of the scalp for that measurement

JohnDoe5

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do not have a lot of faith in Bayer's Prolactin Receptor Antibody tech to treat hair loss. I don't understand what all of the hype is all about. It's easier to regrow hair in Maquaques than in humans.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think he means 100k a year. 40k is 80k a year, so the two numbers aren't that far off. If it's going to be marketed as a 12 month treatment then that will be different, I think the price will have to be lower then.
It is going to be a 12 month treatment based on the macaques. They were not fully cured and the researchers made the comment that they did not begin to see a plateau in results at the 6 month mark.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I do not have a lot of faith in Bayer's Prolactin Receptor Antibody tech to treat hair loss. I don't understand what all of the hype is all about. It's easier to regrow hair in Maquaques than in humans.
Although it is apparently more difficult to spell the word macaques then humans.

The macaque model seems to be basically interchangeable with humans for androgen related hairloss. If you could provide a single example of a drug that was successfully tested on them vs failed humans I'd love to see it.