At What Age Are You Somewhat "safe"?

Dante92

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're NEVER safe from hair loss. It's all about genes, about how and how quickly it will strike and when.

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
NEVER

I was a full head till 34 ( had a haircut 9mm in summer 2014) and then from a full head to a NW3 diffuse thinning on the vertex and a tonsure now in 3 years very very quickly!!

May if you are 60, or 70 without hair loss then are you safe:D:D

Raphael13

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Somewhere between age 17-19 i developed peaks and I remember one friend told me I will go bald. I am today 27 and have the exact same hairline. But I think im seening a thinning area, but im not sure if its thinning or a weird parting of my hair.

man12

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
there's no rule for hair loss, but if you are NW2+ 18/20 years old you most likely will be bald in your 30s, if you are NW2 in your late 20s or early 30s you're safe to keep hair till 50

Balding Boulder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair loss is unpredictable. The only time you start to care about your hair is when you lose it. Does not matter how old you are. However, its much easier to accept hair loss when everyone around you is experiencing it at the same time. It only bothers you the most, when you see people around you with no hair loss especially when they are your age or older.
Which is why it affects younger people so much. At least older people can find relatable figures around them.

I don't think any age is guaranteed to be safe, but I think generally at 30 your testosterone levels start to dip by 1% per year, so inevitably your DHT levels will get lower, too.

The thing that puzzles me is you get these people who get to their mid-30s with a pretty good head of hair and then…WHOOSH! It all goes in the space of a couple of years. Pep Guardiola is a great example.

man12

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Which is why it affects younger people so much. At least older people can find relatable figures around them.

I don't think any age is guaranteed to be safe, but I think generally at 30 your testosterone levels start to dip by 1% per year, so inevitably your DHT levels will get lower, too.

The thing that puzzles me is you get these people who get to their mid-30s with a pretty good head of hair and then…WHOOSH! It all goes in the space of a couple of years. Pep Guardiola is a great example.
yes because their dna is programmed to lose hair like that, my uncle had full head of hair at 33 (Juvenile hairline) very thick hair with no recession at all, in 3 years he lost most of his hair, at 36 he is NW6

fannteg

My Regimen
Reaction score
my grandfather is in his 70s and he started getting a receding hairline + vertex thinning so i'm pretty sure there is no safe zone

Balding Boulder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yes because their dna is programmed to lose hair like that, my uncle had full head of hair at 33 (Juvenile hairline) very thick hair with no recession at all, in 3 years he lost most of his hair, at 36 he is NW6
It's almost like hair follicles are time bombs. They can go off suddenly — and most of the time it takes many years, if not decades to lose that follicle, but some people's just go BOOM…gone.

I started balding arguably at around the age of 14 (I'm 30 now), and although I've receded a lot and my crown is particularly thin, I still have more hair than many people who started to go bald later than that. I guess those initial hairs I lost were the most sensitive ones and were always prone to going. Generally speaking, as you get older the hairs that remain on you are the most stubborn ones and are easier to keep — especially if you're on finasteride and minoxidil.

BeHereNow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's almost like hair follicles are time bombs. They can go off suddenly — and most of the time it takes many years, if not decades to lose that follicle, but some people's just go BOOM…gone.

I started balding arguably at around the age of 14 (I'm 30 now), and although I've receded a lot and my crown is particularly thin, I still have more hair than many people who started to go bald later than that. I guess those initial hairs I lost were the most sensitive ones and were always prone to going. Generally speaking, as you get older the hairs that remain on you are the most stubborn ones and are easier to keep — especially if you're on finasteride and minoxidil.

How long have you been using treatments?

Balding Boulder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How long have you been using treatments?
Since May 25th 2016 — for my regular regime of Propecia, Regaine Foam, Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo and a biotin tablet a day.

I did first indulge in hair loss products in late 2010, but only Regaine and Alpecin. And for the three years after that it was a bit on and off. Then I went through a spell of around three years without taking anything. I think my hair did change more than I thought in that time, it's just when you look at yourself in the mirror frontways, from that angle it is easy to think that things aren't progressing because you can't see your crown and the diffuse thinning is harder to spot. I was used to the receding hairline, and that's what I put so much focus on. When I originally started using Regaine Liquid/Foam, I would put six squirts/one splodge on the left temple and the same on the right twice a day. It's only in May 2016, after taking a sporadic photo of my scalp with my head facing the window (bad light), that I decided I had to do the whole lot. That's when a proper routine started.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
No age is safe. It hit my dad at 56. He went from a full head of hair to a diffused NW6 with thinning in the donor area.
@bluecyclone, you see it can happen to anyone. Our hairs are programed to miniaturize at a certain age due to genetics. Only treatments like finasteride and minoxidil can offset the time it was supposed to happen to a later period of time when it will happen. Like a time machine. However, for some people their genetics are so strong that the offset is for a very small period of time or for some it doesn't do it at all. I saw a guy yesterday who is still a NW1 at 56 with very little gray(hispanic which does not surprise me) but he is thinning all over but his hair is so dense it's barely shows.

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@bluecyclone, you see it can happen to anyone. Our hairs are programed to miniaturize at a certain age due to genetics. Only treatments like finasteride and minoxidil can offset the time it was supposed to happen to a later period of time when it will happen. Like a time machine. However, for some people their genetics are so strong that the offset is for a very small period of time or for some it doesn't do it at all. I saw a guy yesterday who is still a NW1 at 56 with very little gray(hispanic which does not surprise me) but he is thinning all over but his hair is so dense it's barely shows.
My hair loss started at 16. For the longest time I blamed my mom's genes. All her brothers are bald. She is also diffuse thinning. Turned out that it was also on my dad's side.

brahmabull117

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
no age is safe. My coworker was NW0-1 at 47 with spectacular density and is now a rapidly diffuse thinning NW3. I think he will be a NW6 by 60

brahmabull117

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The people saying no age is safe are overstating the truth.

I'm 37 and the people I know who are balding (many in this age bracket) had signs early on. You can see from looking at old photos. To the average person it's nothing but to us pathetic norwood hunters it's a red flag

The people who are still NW1 with no thinning always had strong hair, and nothing has changed for them. You can tell just by looking at a man in his mid 20s what his hair situation is likely going to be over the next 10 or 20 years.

It can hit you out of nowhere, sure, but generally there are always signs. My older brother is 41 and has a good head of hair but the crown is sparse, we all thought it came out of nowhere but I saw a picture of him from 2007 at a theme park and even there you could see the whirl was too large to be normal and that down the line he'd lose his hair.

What I will say though despite the age hair loss still sucks no matter how old you are. Me being late 30s means nothing to me, and the fact that many of my peers and coworkers of the same age are slick bald doesnt change things.

I want all my hair godammit!

You're wrong

My coworker was a damn near NW0 at 47 and he is a very thin NW3 now and on way to NW6 at 58

otis mcdonald

My Regimen
Reaction score
holy sh*t this guy DNA is cure

Vincent Pastore from the sopranos is the same. He’s now 73

8BF15F24-5774-42EC-BE92-8215B7CC1C62.jpeg

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think if you are still Norwood 1 by age 35 you are safe from getting severe balding. All people who reach Norwood 5,6 or 7 are at least Norwood 2 by 35,40. You are not safe from moderate to extensive hair loss though. Many people stay Norwood 1 on the front, but lose hair on the crown. People who are Norwood 0 are the ones who have zero change from their juvenile hairline. There are very few people. They never lose hair and it stays like this till the day they die.