At What Age Are You Somewhat "safe"?

Raphael13

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First off I want to start off by saying that I know that hairloss is almost impossible to predict or get your head around and that there are always exceptions to almost anything.

But if you had to answer this question, in what age would you say someone is safe or will probably go on with the rest of his life without major hairloss? Do you need to have a very straight and "perfect" hairline in your early 30s to be considered "safe" from at least major hairloss? Can you be "safe" if you are late 20s/early 30s with a nw2?

When I say safe I mean that you won't go beyond a nw3. Some people are of course lucky to be a Norwood 1/2 rest of their lives..but I think most mean would accept a nw3 or 3.5 at an older age.

Like I said, I know that there are alot of ifs and mays and coulds, but if you had to answer this question, what would you say?

Raphael13

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's so annoying haha. You spend your entire early age worrying about losing hair, then you either lose it, or you dont...but still worry.

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair thinning is normal, a perfect hairline starts to look weird at a certain age.

But yeah, if you are in your late 30s you are pretty safe. Also ru and finasteride work better if your hairloss starts that late.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
My dad was a really thick Norwood 1.5-2 all of his life, but now at 60 he is starting to diffuse like a mofo.

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One of my grandfathers was a very low norwood until his 70's, after that he started to lose some hair. He became very ill at 76 and lost a fair bit of density around that time. He's 80 now but still NW3, which is remarkable.

And yet here I am battling hair loss since I was 18/19'ish.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're never safe. Hair loss just becomes less of an issue as you get older. My dad was a NW2 since he was in his 20s, and in his late 40s his hair loss kicked into overdrive out of nowhere. Went from NW2 to NW4/5 with bad diffuse thinning in less than 5 years. He didn't seem to care about the hair loss as much at this point in life though.

Señor AIDidaS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have no signs of hair loss at 50 you are probably good.

This. It's very rare to start balding at 50 or later. Usually you have some kind of indication beforehand. Anything below is kind of a wild card. Look at James Spader for example. He pretty much kept his juvenile hairline until he was 41.16 years later and he's a thinning NW4A

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This. It's very rare to start balding at 50 or later. Usually you have some kind of indication beforehand. Anything below is kind of a wild card. Look at James Spader for example. He pretty much kept his juvenile hairline until he was 41.16 years later and he's a thinning NW4A
Jesus God, I hadn't seen him recently. Sends a shudder up my spine. Matt Lauer is another post 40s guy who gets decimated by hair loss. The young guys who claim they "won't care" after 40 make me chuckle though. Meh, over 40, same diff.

Last edited:

Señor AIDidaS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 54909 View attachment 54910
Jesus God, I hadn't seen him recently. Sends a shudder up my spine. Matt Lauer is another post 40s guy who gets decimated by hair loss. The young guys who claim they "won't care" after 40 make me chuckle though. Meh, over 40, same diff.

No kidding. It doesn't help that Spader got chunky either. He looks like somebody's lesbian grandmother undergoing chemo. Like a completely different person.

It's alarming because it shows that you can never know for sure about anyone. I'm usually really good at guessing who's going to keep their hair, but looking at him in his prime, I thought he'd have hair for life. You can just never tell.
IMG_1960.JPG

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're under ten years old, you'll probably never have to worry about it if you have money. Otherwise you can start losing hair at any age.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're under ten years old, you'll probably never have to worry about it if you have money. Otherwise you can start losing hair at any age.
I was told this same thing when I was young. "You're lucky your generation will never have to worry about hair loss." Yeah....okay. Have had the same treatments around for like 30 years.

Dsport

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My uncle, who was a norwood 2 from his 30's to age 65. No change, didnt look like he'd ever suffer anything remotely problematic.

At age 65 his hairline completely bailed on him. Almost like a frontal shed over the period of a year.

Heres the kicker: dude totally freaked out even at his age.

He had beaten the odds completely, and his wife told me he was completely going nuts, thinking his life was over,
and he was already retired, married, and still considered a norwood 3.

If you have no signs of hair loss at 50 you are probably good.

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
My uncle, who was a norwood 2 from his 30's to age 65. No change, didnt look like he'd ever suffer anything remotely problematic.

At age 65 his hairline completely bailed on him. Almost like a frontal shed over the period of a year.

Heres the kicker: dude totally freaked out even at his age.

He had beaten the odds completely, and his wife told me he was completely going nuts, thinking his life was over,
and he was already retired, married, and still considered a norwood 3.

Interesting. I'm like your uncle, I will ALWAYS care. Wonder if he will go so far as to transplant?

Raphael13

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think Frank Vincent is one of the lucky 1% in the world. He is 77 years old. Search him up and look at his hair.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hair loss is unpredictable. The only time you start to care about your hair is when you lose it. Does not matter how old you are. However, its much easier to accept hair loss when everyone around you is experiencing it at the same time. It only bothers you the most, when you see people around you with no hair loss especially when they are your age or older.