Are hair pieces & hair systems REALLY that bad?

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Do I have to do this again?

There is a lot to lose: your time (in maintenance, staying indoors because of bad weather), your money (easily 700€ for a quaility hair piece), your energy and even your dignity (if people discover you're wearing),

Not to mention the potential damage to your native hair and to your skin by the adhesive.

What is there to lose? Oh you know, not much.

Not sure where you are living but bad weather has zero effect. I have never stayed indoors due to bad or hot weather!

Your costs are grossly inflated. I buy mine at £200 a piece.

No energy as I am very motivated to have great hair and would spend 10 times as long to achieve the same result.

Dignity? I dont care if people know but no one has ever found out without me first telling them - they are that good. This is 2014, not 1974.

Lastly, your points on native hair and adhesive are opinion and conjucture.

Your signature refers to meds and grafts - well meds and grafts have significantly more proven downsides than a hair system, but you have omitted those. Not everyone wants painful surgery cutting their scalp with scarring and a hair transplant doesnt always work. The same for meds as well as the well documented side effects

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have never suffered from side-effects from medication, my FUE surgery was not painful, and I have no scars.

And this is how it goes for the vast majority of people using minoxidil and going to a top FUE surgeon.

Seriously, who wears a hair piece? Virtually nobody. Why? Because as I've said many time, no matter how much you sugarcoat it, it's just not a viable solution for hair loss.

Look at how much it is discussed on hair loss forums.

You have maybe one new topic every two months, and there is nothing solid. Almost no truly happy people (you are an exception) wearing, no before/after.

Now take a look at the medication and hair transplants sections. There are a lot of happy people thanks to medication and a hair transplant, these are not the exception but the norm.

A FUE hair transplant is the only viable solution for people who are already bald.

At least when my transplanted hairs are fully grown, I'll be done with this crap for at least a decade. After that I may need a touch-up.

For only 5000€ here in Belgium as we have state of the art hair transplants for democratic prices.

In the meantime, you'll have spend tons of cash in those hair pieces, and you'll still have no hair on your head.

I cannot disagree with you more.

You seem an authority on hair systems. How long did you wear a hair system?

ps 5000 whatever...euros? thats expensive!

azuri

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with Fred with this one.
no doubt that hair systems have come a long way but overall, there are still very few ppl who opt for them as most would rather their own hair on their heads or shave it off as a last resort. Just going by the lack of discussions and before n after pics on forums is a clear indication of the confidence with this approach.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
My father has been wearing a hair piece since he was 17 years old in 1979. You lose.

He may be the most experienced hair piece wearer that has ever walked this earth.

He tried everything in this respect, real hair, synthetic hair, even had a hair piece sown to his own hair when it was a trend.

He's always been working with one of the best hair pieces professionals here in Brussels.

He says you can't just order 200€ hair pieces from the web. It's like ordering a cat in a bag.

In 35 years, he spent more than 50000€ in hair pieces. A fortune, and he still has no hair. Even my father himself admits that it's not a solution for hair loss.

It was his only solution in the 1980's and he just got used to it. But as he often say, very few people can deal with a hair piece. So there you have it again: it's not a viable solution for hair loss.

Thanks for being such a positive force on the forum, Fred.

We get it, nothing is a "viable solution for hair loss", except for real hair. But do you have to rub it in for those who possibly have to wear hair for the rest of their lives, or those who have a small hope that it might work for them?

I don't even know why you're still on this forum, didn't you have a hair transplant that was successful?

Instead of putting down every "solution" for hairloss and making people who read your comments more miserable than they really are, maybe you should be a little more conciderate.

I have to get a wig or a hairpiece soon and I have to wear it forever, and I'm just in my early 20's. I have no choice because I'm female and it isn't acceptable for a woman to go around bald.

Maybe you guys should try to support one another more instead of just making it worse than it already is, this forum is quite miserable and I don't even know why I'm here.

There is a much more supportive community at the heralopecia website, here you just talk about not being able to get HOT girls anymore and how nothing is remotely close to a solution.

And yes I know what you're thinking, "why don't you log out of this forum if it makes you more miserable?"

Well I don't have an answer.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There are many people out that that have not made it a disaster and it is working for them. You get out what research you put in. I put in months of research before my first piece and keep putting it in so as to always improve.

Im not talking about 1979 or the 1980s. Im talking here and now in 2014. They've come on a huge leap since those dark days of the last century.

The point is whether you opt for a hair transplant, meds or a hair system it is an individual choice that shouldnt be denied. You talk of democratic prices yet seem to refuse people the full choice.

If I ever wanted one I can get one in London - 2000 grafts for £2200. Simply, I dont want one. Im very happy with my hair system.

Yes I did think of a hair transplant, but there are many stories of bad hair transplant. Hair not taking and falling out. Even the hair that does take is like bum fluff. Really poor hair. I could not dismiss that.

However, its wrapped it up, its invasive surgery. And as you said you will need more procedures. So maybe you will spend £20,000 as your hair keeps dropping. Plus you need on going drugs. Sure it works for some people, but I dont want the risk.

£20k will keep me in hair systems for 40-years!! I can have instantly a full head of hair without qualms. I am not shy about wearing. Everyone around me know and I have had nothing but positive comments.

The moral of the post, is whatever you select to fight your hair loss, good for you. Make it work, be happy and enjoy life.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
Thank you Evillolocks. But if there is one thing I hate above all, it's giving people false hope.

They seem to be much more supportive at heralopecia because that's how women work.

I've seen the threads and a lot of them are overly positive and delusional. "Don't worry girl, you're beautiful, it's going to be alright sweetie!"

As men, we don't talk like that, we tend to say things as they are, well that's how I operate.

As for my hair transplant, I've had it only 3 months ago, and while I might have like 10% of regrowth already, it takes a year, sometimes more for transplanted hairs to grow back.

So no I'm not done here, and I think I will not depart if I get my hair back, I still want to help those who need it on the forums. Especially when I see all the BS being spewed around here.

I don't put down every solution for hair loss, I think minoxidil, FUE hair transplants, concealers, sometimes even SMP (only combined with a hair transplant) are amazing tools in our arsenal.

DHT blockers like finasteride, RU, CB, hair pieces and SMP on its own, not so much.

But if you apply yourself, you can make a hair piece work really well for you. Remember that 99% of guys won't care one bit about it if they find out.

Trust me on this, I've seen the thirst, guys will put up with anything to get a girl nowadays. Stay strong, there will be life for you after hair loss, even if you don't want to believe it now.

No one is asking you to be overly positive and I agree the women on heralopecia is overly positive. I get that there is nothing good about wearing a hair piece,

and that I'll never again have the feeling of having my own hair, growing from my own head, which is the only thing I want on this planet.

But to be so negative about something that might just be the only "solution" left for someone like me, or a male diffuser that doesn't have donor maybe,

is a little mean spirited.

If you don't have anything positive to say about wigs / pieces then maybe try keeping it to yourself,

because for someone who is totally at the end of their rope grasping for something to hold on to, it's devastating to read.

I shouldn't be here I know, but you might recognise the feeling of craving to be on this forum because there is nowhere else for you to go and talk about it?

I "like" to whine as well and no I don't see a hair piece as a "solution". It's merely about making an attempt at living a life that is somewhat worth living.

And no, hearing that "guys are desperate, they'll take anything" isn't helping much.

First of all what girl (or guy) wants to be with someone who is only with them because they need something from them or who are desperate.

I want true love, but It's starting to dawn on me that might never happen.

If I do find a guy, will he only be with me because he is so desperate or such of a loser he cannot get anyone else and better?

That said, I don't think guys are as desperate as you claim. Here on this forum you talk about nothing but not being able to get HOT GIRLS anymore.

Would you yourself settle for a bald woman? You can say that there are plenty of guys who would, but would you? Seriously?

I guess if I go to the bottom of the pile and find myself and old, fat and broke fart then maybe I too can get a guy. But I do not just want to "get a guy",

like you don't want to "get a girl". You want a pretty, smart and funny girl, right? Then why chose someone like me who is ugly, miserable and lonely? I'm not rich either.

So yeah, is there nothing left for me? Should I just kill myself? Trust me I would have a long time ago, if it wasn't for my damn family loving me so much.

But every day is true and pure hell for me, so I might just in the end.

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A woman wearing a wig is not a deal breaker, the other guys have said it too, and they're telling the truth.
True!! And please dont think that its because the guy is desparate, at least not all the cases. As Fred said be proactive and focus on your education etc. best of luck.

btw nice post fred.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your daddy is a sample of one and thats hardly scientific. Becuase daddy had a bad experience and daddy's mates have a bad experience it doesnt mean there arent thousands of good experiences out there. To think this is the case is myopic and false.

Daddy sounds a horribly poor wearer if he is still using the same pieces as in 1979. He needs more help if thats the case. The world has moved on since those days son.

AND

Minoxidil....according to wiki (not daddy)...

o side effects include burning or irritation of the eye, itching, redness or irritation at the treated area,
o unwanted hair growth elsewhere on the body.
o severe allergic reactions (e.g. rash, hives, itching, difficulty breathing, tightness in the chest, or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue),
o chest pain, dizziness, fainting, tachycardia (rapid heartbeat),
o sudden and unexplained weight gain,
o swelling of the hands and feet.
o hair loss is a common side effect of minoxidil treatment. Manufacturers offer no guarantee that the new hair loss will be replaced with hair growth.
o drying of the scalp, resulting in dandruff and contact dermatitis.
o Side effects of oral minoxidil may include swelling of the face and extremities, rapid and irregular heartbeat, lightheadedness, cardiac lesions, and focal necrosis of the papillary muscle and subendocardial areas of the left ventricle.
o There have been cases of allergic reactions to minoxidil or the non-active ingredient propylene glycol, which is found in some topical minoxidil formulations.
o Minoxidil is highly toxic to cats, and may cause death with just inadvertent skin contact

Also I tried it and it didnt work for me.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You have poor reading skills as we as poor marketing skills.

Why do you keep posting these minoxidil side-effects? It's not impressing anyone. Every drug has side-effects and minoxidil is one of the safest drugs out there.

>>You have poor reading skills as we as poor marketing skills

I didn't understand what you wrote.

That was the first time I have posted the side effects here. Is it a touchy subject for you?

the bottom line is you have a perverse myopic view on hair pieces, yet many people on this forum and others will testify to the positive effect they have had. Why cant you open your mind for once and accept it the facts?

You are so negative and I am positive. I say to readers to try hair pieces or any other solutions you want. Dont let the negative ignorant people deter you as most of their thinking is half baked and unconvincing. I mean their so called experience doesnt seem to extend beyond their own front door :)

=====================
This week is 100 years since the start of the First World War. We will remember all those brave soldiers of Britain and the Commonwealth that saved Europe from the Kaiser...Many will ask what was the point of it all? Maybe we should have left some of those forsaken countries to the Kaiser. We all had to do it again in 1939. Please remember them in faraway fields. RIP

Noah

Reaction score
It's incredibly annoying that this Fred the Belgian guy comes on here, which he does sporadically, and spreads all this misinformation about hair systems, which is calculated to scare away people new to the subject, or at least make them throw up their hands not knowing who to believe.

The fact is he has never worn a hairpiece, and his only source of information is the piece his father wears, the soi-disant "state of the art hairpiece". Well, a few months back he put up a picture of his father wearing his "state of the art hairpiece". I don't like to criticise a bald brother, especially when he is not here to defend himself, but truthfully it looked like something your Auntie Gladys would have worn to the Rotary Club annual dinner circa 1973 - an ugly shapeless wig complete with all-round fringe and purple tinge. Think Gerard Depardieu playing Obelix the Gaul. "State of the art hairpiece" my arse.

The reason this is so annoying is that for some guys a hairpiece is the right answer. Certainly not for everyone, that's for sure: many guys will never get over the fear of "being busted" or of having to tell a partner. Some will not be able to make it work - you definitely need good aesthetic judgement to get a great result from a hairpiece. But for those who can overcome those factors, a hairpiece is easily the cheapest, best-looking and least noxious way of combatting hairloss. For those with severe balding it is really the only viable option bar shaving. At a conservative guess there must surely be 25% of the guys on this board for whom it would at least be worth investigating non-surgical hair replacement.

So if you are new to this subject, please, ignore idiots like Fred the Belgian. Go and have a look for yourself. Look at the photo boards on sites like Northwest Lace, Toplace, Coolpiece and even Hair Direct. See the results that their customers have achieved. These are real guys like us (you can easily spot the ones who don't have sufficient aesthetic taste to pull it off, and have ended up with a wiggy result). But most are acceptable and the good ones are really good, and these guys are happy with their lives. I hope our Belgian friend will be equally happy when he sees what has sprouted out of his plugs in a year's time.

And cheer up Evillocks; Fred is in the market for bald chicks, and he's not kidding! So there's a happy thought to end with.

JimmyJones

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with Fred with this one.
no doubt that hair systems have come a long way but overall, there are still very few ppl who opt for them as most would rather their own hair on their heads or shave it off as a last resort. Just going by the lack of discussions and before n after pics on forums is a clear indication of the confidence with this approach.

If you want before and after pictures go on a hair replacement forum. There are loads of pictures on Toplace on the forum. Most hair wearers post on these forums and don't care about hair loss treatments per se.

- - - Updated - - -

My father has been wearing a hair piece since he was 17 years old in 1979. You lose.

He may be the most experienced hair piece wearer that has ever walked this earth.

He tried everything in this respect, real hair, synthetic hair, even had a hair piece sown to his own hair when it was a trend.

He's always been working with one of the best hair pieces professionals here in Brussels.

He says you can't just order 200€ hair pieces from the web. It's like ordering a cat in a bag.

In 35 years, he spent more than 50000€ in hair pieces. A fortune, and he still has no hair. Even my father himself admits that it's not a solution for hair loss.

It was his only solution in the 1980's and he just got used to it. But as he often say, very few people can deal with a hair piece. So there you have it again: it's not a viable solution for hair loss.

Your father has been wearing since 1979 and therefore we lose and you win? I guess if your father says ordering a $200 hair piece will be poor then it must be true. I think all that psychosis you suffered in 2010 has left you mentally retarded and prone to being constantly arrogant. I think you need to see a psychiatrist; forget the trichologist.
In regard to your other post about the marketing on hair piece sites. Go on the FORUM of these sites where real people post pictures and you will see that the hair wearers achieve more realistic results than your daddy.

- - - Updated - - -

My father is still wearing a hair piece today in 2014. And it hasn't evolved one bit since 1979, how could it have evolved. It is and will always be just fake hair that you glue to your head.

My father's father was a wearer too, and he has the same opinion on the matter. My father knows other wearers, and they all have the same complains, so yes it happens to everyone.

There are also countless stories about successful hair transplants, just go to the hairlossexperiences forum and you'll see for yourself. Look at the works of *********, ********, De Reys etc.

Do you even realise the words you use? Who said I wasted 5000€ (4500€ to be exact)? Don't talk crap about hair transplants if you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

I may not even need other surgeries, my crown is well-maintained will minoxidil only. Just admit that you didn't have the discipline required to use minoxidil, you most likely used it for a few months and then quit.

I've never had those side-effects, and they happen to a very small percentage of users. If it ever happens you can discontinue the drug and they will go away instantly.
It has evolved since 1979 just like hair transplants have evolved. The bases are thinner and more undetectable.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
not even me, his own son, for 18 years.

You are only months into your own Hair Transplant so I think its grossly irresponsible and reckless to champion them as fanatically and blindly as you do with all their expense and risk to others as the best solution (given your tone). Its just one of many including hair systems. We need to encourage all people to be fearless and give things a try and not deter them. That helps no one.

Maybe in 24 months time when you have a greater timeframe you can return with more credibility as at the moment its thin.

Noah's post is excellent, measured and spot on.

ps who was your father for the other 6-years (given you are 24)?

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
Fred posts this stuff on every topic

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know what forums you are on, I see just the opposite, many more people that are happy they decided to go the system route before or after the bad transplant route.
There are plenty of forums with a lot of people wearing them, a lot of people do the diy thing with better results than clubs, do your research before spouting nonsense, most hair wearers are happier than they've been in yrs. certain types of hairloss looks great with transplants, most you just cant get enough coverage to justify

scorpiolove

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So far I have worn two hair pieces,one with french lace,and it didnt even last me a month,it cost me around 400$ Canadian,the hair was horrendous!
Don't believe the hype when it comes to the durability of french lace, sfs is a lot better more breathable and more flexible than french lace in my opinion.The second piece I got was of better quality but not exactly what I ordered,it was of sfs base and the hair was a lot more durable. I now feel like Kane from WWE, lol. Whenever I feel the need or urge I can don(wear) the hair mask of terror and unleash my hairy(or hairless) furry on all the norwood 1's who delusionally think they're balding,Yessssss! revenge my little pretty!lol.Oh sorry that was from the lord of the rings ha ha ha. P.S. it's nice hearing from the women out here who also suffer from baldness, if you wanna get a hairpiece and look good for me all the power to you:) If you wanna keep me around make sure the putangs good and you keep it 100 (honest and true) and I'll stick around:) I know I make humour out of serious issues but there is a truth to what i'm saying, so don't take my words the wrong way. Thanks!
scorpiolove

vinny04

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have been wearing a hair system for about a year now. It's been pretty successful. The hair system looks great and I transitioned at a good time so know one has suspected anything. However, the one thing I am still worried about is getting caught. I feel the only way I will get caught is by someone touching or feeling it. I am a 25 year old male. I have always been a good looking guy but the hair system has put me over the top (I am not trying to brag just the honest truth). I have many girls pursuing me but I am so afraid of getting caught that I keep pushing them away. I was hoping any of the more experience or your younger guys could help me out with this? How do you get around this with women without them feeling or touching your head? Does anyone have a system that is undetectable when you feel it? If so what is your secret? I currently just glue my system on without tape which has made slight difference in the feel. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
I have heard that skin systems are less noticeable to the touch than lace(I wear lace). Is your current piece lace or skin?

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Vinny

I had the same problem when I started wearing LOL. I went from a 5.5 to a 9 on the ratings scale, but I couldn't enjoy all the attention because I was worried about being busted and then the word leaking out to my circle of friends.

Initially I used to use a lot of sticky gel on the front to dissuade any exploring hands. My hair is thick at the back, so it's unlikely anyone could feel my piece there - just the hairline and the temples are the problem zone.

But I didn't really like the feeling of all that gunk in my hair. Now I am more up front. I say I have had hair extensions put it to thicken up my hair, and the hair is off limits. That story seems to work, and I have not noticed anyone being put off by it. I think it's OK so long as they don't find out the whole top is fake. You have to steer clear of words like "hairpiece" or "toupee".

Some people say the plastic based pieces are less detectable. I wear lace, because i live in a hot climate, and the plastic bases are too sweaty. What base are you wearing?

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
two points have been raised in this thread.

1. its good to consider increased density over successive pieces for those worried about the instant change

2. a very thin skin base is invisible up to 1cm to sight and invisible to touch