Are hair pieces & hair systems REALLY that bad?

WhitePolarBear

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I like the spirit in your post. But there's just no way around the fact that hair pieces are by far the hardest hair loss solution to pull off.

You really must have iron willpower to make it work. One thing my father learned in 35 years of hair pieces wearing is that you must have the fringe cover the hair line.

How would it look natural if you can see the edges? And don't send me Hair Direct pictures, these are part of a marketing pitch, my father showed me how it looks with the hair line not covered.

No one has ever been able to tell that my father was wearing a hair pieces, not even me, his own son, for 18 years. I hate the hairstyle too, but at least it's not detectable.

I've been all over this before, hair pieces are also the most expensive solution for hair loss in the long-term.

JimmyJones

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with Fred with this one.
no doubt that hair systems have come a long way but overall, there are still very few ppl who opt for them as most would rather their own hair on their heads or shave it off as a last resort. Just going by the lack of discussions and before n after pics on forums is a clear indication of the confidence with this approach.

If you want before and after pictures go on a hair replacement forum. There are loads of pictures on Toplace on the forum. Most hair wearers post on these forums and don't care about hair loss treatments per se.

- - - Updated - - -

My father has been wearing a hair piece since he was 17 years old in 1979. You lose.

He may be the most experienced hair piece wearer that has ever walked this earth.

He tried everything in this respect, real hair, synthetic hair, even had a hair piece sown to his own hair when it was a trend.

He's always been working with one of the best hair pieces professionals here in Brussels.

He says you can't just order 200€ hair pieces from the web. It's like ordering a cat in a bag.

In 35 years, he spent more than 50000€ in hair pieces. A fortune, and he still has no hair. Even my father himself admits that it's not a solution for hair loss.

It was his only solution in the 1980's and he just got used to it. But as he often say, very few people can deal with a hair piece. So there you have it again: it's not a viable solution for hair loss.

Your father has been wearing since 1979 and therefore we lose and you win? I guess if your father says ordering a $200 hair piece will be poor then it must be true. I think all that psychosis you suffered in 2010 has left you mentally retarded and prone to being constantly arrogant. I think you need to see a psychiatrist; forget the trichologist.
In regard to your other post about the marketing on hair piece sites. Go on the FORUM of these sites where real people post pictures and you will see that the hair wearers achieve more realistic results than your daddy.

- - - Updated - - -

My father is still wearing a hair piece today in 2014. And it hasn't evolved one bit since 1979, how could it have evolved. It is and will always be just fake hair that you glue to your head.

My father's father was a wearer too, and he has the same opinion on the matter. My father knows other wearers, and they all have the same complains, so yes it happens to everyone.

There are also countless stories about successful hair transplants, just go to the hairlossexperiences forum and you'll see for yourself. Look at the works of *********, ********, De Reys etc.

Do you even realise the words you use? Who said I wasted 5000€ (4500€ to be exact)? Don't talk crap about hair transplants if you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

I may not even need other surgeries, my crown is well-maintained will minoxidil only. Just admit that you didn't have the discipline required to use minoxidil, you most likely used it for a few months and then quit.

I've never had those side-effects, and they happen to a very small percentage of users. If it ever happens you can discontinue the drug and they will go away instantly.
It has evolved since 1979 just like hair transplants have evolved. The bases are thinner and more undetectable.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
not even me, his own son, for 18 years.

You are only months into your own Hair Transplant so I think its grossly irresponsible and reckless to champion them as fanatically and blindly as you do with all their expense and risk to others as the best solution (given your tone). Its just one of many including hair systems. We need to encourage all people to be fearless and give things a try and not deter them. That helps no one.

Maybe in 24 months time when you have a greater timeframe you can return with more credibility as at the moment its thin.

Noah's post is excellent, measured and spot on.

ps who was your father for the other 6-years (given you are 24)?

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
Fred posts this stuff on every topic

WhitePolarBear

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just don't like reading false information. Of course you're going to see this every now and then on the hair loss forum: "just get a wig!" with this arrogant certitude of the posters that they solved the guy's problem. "Voilà, you have hair now, thank me for my suggestion!"

But curiously you never see "just get a hair transplant!" as if going the hair piece route was less expensive or damaging both physically and mentally.

I think that if my father reacted with such adversity when I asked him to get me an appointment with his salon, there must be a reason. He said these words, well in French: "I forbid you to do that, if you do, I will stop you!"

Yet he was very encouraging for my hair transplant. If it worked well (even with the countless negatives) for him, it can for others of course. But just remember that it's not a walk in the park, you have to be 100% dedicated to go that route. You cannot just take it off when you get home, it will affect every aspect of your life.

Right now I see more and more people who chose the hair piece solution on other forums and they are very depressed. Most of the time, they bought the hair piece industry's sales talk, then the reality of this solution hits them like a ton of bricks.

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know what forums you are on, I see just the opposite, many more people that are happy they decided to go the system route before or after the bad transplant route.
There are plenty of forums with a lot of people wearing them, a lot of people do the diy thing with better results than clubs, do your research before spouting nonsense, most hair wearers are happier than they've been in yrs. certain types of hairloss looks great with transplants, most you just cant get enough coverage to justify

WhitePolarBear

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where are those men? Where are the testimonies? And I mean testimonies NOT from websites selling hair pieces like Hair Direct or Toplace etc.

This is the kind of testimonies I often come across:

So I've tried:
Propecia/Rogaine/ other DHT Blockers/Saw Palmetto/Biotin.
1 Hair Transplant
Several hair replacement companies-Both online and salons in my city

and just about every so "called hair loss solution"

Nothing has worked, and I am a young bald man at age 25.

I am currently wearing a hairpiece, but it doesn't look great. The maintenance is extremely time consuming. It is certainly not undetectable like all these companies like Hair Club advertise them to be.

They just prey on the insecurities of the male ego AKA premature Hairloss treatments and overcharge.

The profit margins in this industry are just so ridiculous which is why everyone claims they have a cure even though its clearly not true.

I should mention I have also shaved my head... I bulked up and grew out facial hair last summer. I was a very good looking guy, and while I am still an alright looking guy, its never the same without your own full head of hair.

Please help, seriously have no idea what to do. People at my work could tell I wore a piece and I quit my job out of humiliation. I almost hated walking around with a bald or shaved head.

Its one thing if you were born obese, or with a huge nose, or short... When you were a good looking guy with a full head of hair one year and the next you are suddenly bald, its is incredibly devastating to your confidence/self esteem/morale

Please help what should I do?

Even though I would think if someone has accepted their baldness, they probably wouldn't be on balding forums would they?

FYI I have been dealing with hair loss for 20 months now. I probably spend at least some part of just about every hour thinking about it. Its a clinical matter and it has consumed my life sadly

scorpiolove

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So far I have worn two hair pieces,one with french lace,and it didnt even last me a month,it cost me around 400$ Canadian,the hair was horrendous!
Don't believe the hype when it comes to the durability of french lace, sfs is a lot better more breathable and more flexible than french lace in my opinion.The second piece I got was of better quality but not exactly what I ordered,it was of sfs base and the hair was a lot more durable. I now feel like Kane from WWE, lol. Whenever I feel the need or urge I can don(wear) the hair mask of terror and unleash my hairy(or hairless) furry on all the norwood 1's who delusionally think they're balding,Yessssss! revenge my little pretty!lol.Oh sorry that was from the lord of the rings ha ha ha. P.S. it's nice hearing from the women out here who also suffer from baldness, if you wanna get a hairpiece and look good for me all the power to you:) If you wanna keep me around make sure the putangs good and you keep it 100 (honest and true) and I'll stick around:) I know I make humour out of serious issues but there is a truth to what i'm saying, so don't take my words the wrong way. Thanks!
scorpiolove

vinny04

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have been wearing a hair system for about a year now. It's been pretty successful. The hair system looks great and I transitioned at a good time so know one has suspected anything. However, the one thing I am still worried about is getting caught. I feel the only way I will get caught is by someone touching or feeling it. I am a 25 year old male. I have always been a good looking guy but the hair system has put me over the top (I am not trying to brag just the honest truth). I have many girls pursuing me but I am so afraid of getting caught that I keep pushing them away. I was hoping any of the more experience or your younger guys could help me out with this? How do you get around this with women without them feeling or touching your head? Does anyone have a system that is undetectable when you feel it? If so what is your secret? I currently just glue my system on without tape which has made slight difference in the feel. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
I have heard that skin systems are less noticeable to the touch than lace(I wear lace). Is your current piece lace or skin?

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Vinny

I had the same problem when I started wearing LOL. I went from a 5.5 to a 9 on the ratings scale, but I couldn't enjoy all the attention because I was worried about being busted and then the word leaking out to my circle of friends.

Initially I used to use a lot of sticky gel on the front to dissuade any exploring hands. My hair is thick at the back, so it's unlikely anyone could feel my piece there - just the hairline and the temples are the problem zone.

But I didn't really like the feeling of all that gunk in my hair. Now I am more up front. I say I have had hair extensions put it to thicken up my hair, and the hair is off limits. That story seems to work, and I have not noticed anyone being put off by it. I think it's OK so long as they don't find out the whole top is fake. You have to steer clear of words like "hairpiece" or "toupee".

Some people say the plastic based pieces are less detectable. I wear lace, because i live in a hot climate, and the plastic bases are too sweaty. What base are you wearing?

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
two points have been raised in this thread.

1. its good to consider increased density over successive pieces for those worried about the instant change

2. a very thin skin base is invisible up to 1cm to sight and invisible to touch

unknownmystery445

Reaction score
How did you order your hair replacement system from hairpiece warehouse?

I know how you feel about losings your hair young, I'm 27 now and have been losing my hair since 17. Up till recentI've just shaved my head which for the most part I like but it just gets boring after about 9 years. So I started to look in to hair systems and as of one week ago I started wearing. I wish I had more experience to share with you but I'll let you know what I learned so far....

1. It's very secure, I mean you can't rip it off if you wanted to. To remove you use some thing call lace release. So no I'm not worried about it falling off.

2. To answer your question if sweating a lot will ruin it I'll have to wait and see. Its only been a week but I can say it looks the same as it did a week ago and I just shower like it's my real hair. I just make sure I use a good conditioner to keep the hair drying out. ( I hear that can be a problem with real hair pieces )

3. Do people know? Well most of my friends knew that I shaved my head because I was balding, so after I grew my hair out and put on a system my friends wanted to know how my hair had no sign of hair loss.
I don't care to say it's not my real hair, but I know most people don't feel the same way I do. Bottom line is if you go from no hair to a full head of hair people will want to know how you did it.

4. Is worth it? So far for me it has been worth it, I mean I didn't feel like I had anything to lose other then a little money. It's safe and reversible and I think a hair systems can achieve a better looking head of hair then surgery (at least what I've seen).

5. As for where to start...... read as much as you can about them. And look in to different company's that offer systems a couple that I hear good things about are northwest lace, toplace, and hairpiecewarehouse (I got mine from hairpiece warehouse)

Lastly since I'm sure you would like to know all cons I've found so far here they are.(I'm sure some of these can be fix as you become more experienced.)

Feel. In some parts I can feel the edge of the lace when I run my fingers in my hair.

They won't last forever. From what I hear they last about 3-5 months.

Cost. You really should think about what you will be spending on them over a year. You can get a great looking system for around $159-$399 a unit so its not bad but can add up.

Getting it cut in. For me I did all the work myself so it was a learning experience, It went well but I can see where I could have done better. So make sure you think about who's going to cut your hair.

I hope this helps.

I live outside US, specifically the Philippines. So, I was wondering how can i order from hairpiece warehouse? and do they have consultations there because if they do i think it's better if I just go there and have them fit it in person.

It would be better if you can also give the exact address of where i can buy it, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

How do you style hair replacements? Like if you want it to look spiky, what will you do? Also if i live in the Philippines how can I order one? or do they have consultations so that if they do i'll just go there and have it fit in person. It would be great if you put the addresses of those hair replacement shops that you mentioned. Thanks!

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I live outside US, specifically the Philippines. So, I was wondering how can i order from hairpiece warehouse? and do they have consultations there because if they do i think it's better if I just go there and have them fit it in person.

It would be better if you can also give the exact address of where i can buy it, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

How do you style hair replacements? Like if you want it to look spiky, what will you do? Also if i live in the Philippines how can I order one? or do they have consultations so that if they do i'll just go there and have it fit in person. It would be great if you put the addresses of those hair replacement shops that you mentioned. Thanks!

welcome, researching and reading, then ordering online and doing it yourself will work out cheaper, sustainable, more educational and give more options. there are many good places online that will give you consultations and support; even if you just need a second opinion.

I get mine shipped to Hong Kong when I am working there.

You style just like real hair.

jimmytheman

Reaction score
I got the unit at hairpiecewarehouse.com its a swiss lace base with medium density. (note next time I think I'll try mid light. It just seems a little thick) As for cutting I just took a chance and cut it myself so there are blending mistakes but I'm happy with it. The first picture is with the hair dry and the next to is when its wet.
View attachment 19756View attachment 19757View attachment 19758

Looks great man. Farrel hair does the same thing with their short minimal hairpiece. You are only paying a fraction of the cost going the route you did. You should take some pics of the back as well.

massa

Banned
Reaction score
Is it possible to get a small partial hair piece just for the front? I have no hair loss at the back and mid scalp so don't want to shave it yet but my frontal hair is wispy thin.

16cclark

Reaction score
My dilemma

This forum has been dead for a while but I'm hoping I can revive it. I have been bald my entire high school career. (AU in 8th grade). I was an extremely attractive child, but without any hair at all I've irrevocably slipped down on the ratings. It's been kind of rough on my self esteem, but I've somehow managed to attain a wonderful high school experience filled with many friends and laughs. I feel very comfortable and I even consider myself outspoken when around my friends, but I'm horribly shy and self conscious when I meet new people. I'm a senior now and will be attending a university in the fall and I think I'd like to change my appearance to fit the norm just so I'll be confident during my college experience. I have a few questions regarding hair systems:
1. I have AU so I'm completely bald. Do hair systems still exist for me? Most of the people here seem to have some hair of their own.
2. I run 6 days a week pretty intensely. What kind of hair pieces should I look into?
3. Where can I find an aesthetician near me? I'm in Columbus Ohio. I could maybe do these things myself but I'd prefer to have guidance being so new.
4. Right now I go out without eyelashes and brows but I feel like if I get the hair system I'll want those (definitely the brows). How should I go about obtaining these things? I suppose if I found an aesthetician they would know...
Comment: I had no idea there were systems where people could shower with them!! That's incredible!
That's about it I'm just not really sure where to begin with this stuff. Thanks!