April Fresh Ultra Downy - Potential Cure?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Ok guys here is one of the answer from Cations : main ingredient in Downy.

Hair Loss Study Abstract: Cations inhibit specifically type I 5 alpha-reductase found in human skin.

Title
Cations inhibit specifically type I 5 alpha-reductase found in human skin.
Author
Sugimoto Y; López-Solache I; Labrie F; Luu-The V
Address
Medical Research Council Group in Molecular Endocrinology, CHUL Research Center, Quebec, Canada.
Source
J Invest Dermatol, 104: 5, 1995 May, 775-8
Abstract
Steroid 5 alpha-reductase catalyzes the reduction of testosterone into the very potent androgen dihydrotestosterone. Previously, we showed that human type I 5 alpha-reductase is expressed mainly in the skin, whereas a type II 5 alpha-reductase is more specifically expressed in the prostate. To assess the possible differential effects of various cations on the two types of 5 alpha-reductase, we constructed expression vectors and transfected them into SW-13 cells, a human adrenal carcinoma cell line containing negligible endogenous 5 alpha-reductase activity. The expressed 5 alpha-reductases were analyzed for their sensitivity to Li, Ca, Cd, Cu, Mg, Mn, Ni, Zn, and Fe. The results showed that type I 5 alpha-reductase was strongly inhibited by Cd, Cu, and Zn and moderately inhibited by Ni and Fe, with 50% inhibitory concentration values of 0.9, 1.9, 2.0, 169.2, and 174.3 microM, respectively. In contrast, type II 5 alpha-reductase activity was inhibited only by Cu, with a 50% inhibitory concentration value of 19.2 microM. The data showed that cations could specifically control 5 alpha-reductase activity expression, which is more strongly inhibited in a target tissue, especially the skin.

3578389_th.jpg

Household uses for Downy Fabric Softener #2-Hair conditioning.
If you run out of your usual brand of hair conditioner, use a small dab of Downy fabric softener as a substitute. To use Downy as a hair conditioner, apply through your hair immediately after you shampoo. Work thoroughly through your hair from the root of the follicle to the tip of the follicle. To achieve the smoothest results, rinse with warm water after three minutes. Using Downy leaves your hair silky smooth and with a shiny, voluminous appearance.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
ahah I know man!

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
Ok guys here is one of the answer from Cations : main ingredient in Downy.

Hair Loss Study Abstract: Cations inhibit specifically type I 5 alpha-reductase found in human skin.

Title
Cations inhibit specifically type I 5 alpha-reductase found in human skin.
Author
Sugimoto Y; López-Solache I; Labrie F; Luu-The V
Address
Medical Research Council Group in Molecular Endocrinology, CHUL Research Center, Quebec, Canada.
Source
J Invest Dermatol, 104: 5, 1995 May, 775-8
Abstract
Steroid 5 alpha-reductase catalyzes the reduction of testosterone into the very potent androgen dihydrotestosterone. Previously, we showed that human type I 5 alpha-reductase is expressed mainly in the skin, whereas a type II 5 alpha-reductase is more specifically expressed in the prostate. To assess the possible differential effects of various cations on the two types of 5 alpha-reductase, we constructed expression vectors and transfected them into SW-13 cells, a human adrenal carcinoma cell line containing negligible endogenous 5 alpha-reductase activity. The expressed 5 alpha-reductases were analyzed for their sensitivity to Li, Ca, Cd, Cu, Mg, Mn, Ni, Zn, and Fe. The results showed that type I 5 alpha-reductase was strongly inhibited by Cd, Cu, and Zn and moderately inhibited by Ni and Fe, with 50% inhibitory concentration values of 0.9, 1.9, 2.0, 169.2, and 174.3 microM, respectively. In contrast, type II 5 alpha-reductase activity was inhibited only by Cu, with a 50% inhibitory concentration value of 19.2 microM. The data showed that cations could specifically control 5 alpha-reductase activity expression, which is more strongly inhibited in a target tissue, especially the skin.

Good find squeegee! Am going to put Downy on my head again tonight when I take a shower. My regimen is going to be Nizoral followed by Downy EOD and 5mg of finasteride 3x/week.

Andrea

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello people,
in Italy we have a product called "Lenor Freschezza d'Aprile", this is the chart:

http://www.scienceinthebox.com/en_UK/pd ... Aprile.pdf

The Producer is the same as Downy and probably the "secret ingredient" is:

N,N-DI-(,BETA- STERAOETIL)-N,N- DIMETYHL AMMONIUM CHLORIDE

The effects on the scalp (maybe):
- open potassium channels (minoxidil do it but with only one channel)
- Increase NO
-Decrease 5AR activity like others cations but in a strong way...
- Other activity unknow...
Bye

Andrea

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Andrea for the info!

Fred

CodeUD

Reaction score
I am another lurker who finally decided to post. The idea of putting Downy on one's head is borderline absurd. At the same time, its super easy and cheap. So, I am actually giving it a try. I am not yet ready to commit to finasteride or minoxidil, and so far my regimen consists of saw palmetto, nettle root, pumpkin seed, beta sitosterol, nizoral (1% 2/3 x a week). I also drink green tea daily. I've been on this regimen for about 2 months, and so far it doesn't seem to be really working. I am a diffuse thinner with a little bit of a receding hairline at my temples. I started April Fresh Downy two days ago, and here is how I do it and plan to continue for at least another 3 months (unless I have an adverse reaction or hear something to that effect from other posters) - when I take a shower and wash my hair (which I do daily) I apply a dab on my right temple, where I definitely lost some hair, let it sit for 1-2 minutes and then rinse it off. I am going to see if it has any effect on that area, and if it does, I will start applying to all areas where I am experiencing hairloss.

The problem with Downy is that it is a little runny, and doesn't really stay in one place. How are you guys dealing with that?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
CodeUD said:
I am another lurker who finally decided to post. The idea of putting Downy on one's head is borderline absurd. At the same time, its super easy and cheap. So, I am actually giving it a try. I am not yet ready to commit to finasteride or minoxidil, and so far my regimen consists of saw palmetto, nettle root, pumpkin seed, beta sitosterol, nizoral (1% 2/3 x a week). I also drink green tea daily. I've been on this regimen for about 2 months, and so far it doesn't seem to be really working. I am a diffuse thinner with a little bit of a receding hairline at my temples. I started April Fresh Downy two days ago, and here is how I do it and plan to continue for at least another 3 months (unless I have an adverse reaction or hear something to that effect from other posters) - when I take a shower and wash my hair (which I do daily) I apply a dab on my right temple, where I definitely lost some hair, let it sit for 1-2 minutes and then rinse it off. I am going to see if it has any effect on that area, and if it does, I will start applying to all areas where I am experiencing hairloss.

The problem with Downy is that it is a little runny, and doesn't really stay in one place. How are you guys dealing with that?

I know man..I put an half-cap of Ultra Downy on my head. I try to get stuff in with massage but pay attention for my eyes...I leave it there like 3-4 minutes..let the stuff working..BTW..the idea of Downy on our head is maybe funny but some people were using it at as conditioner apparently..So this is why they probably discovered that thing helped for people like us.

Household uses for Downy Fabric Softener #2-Hair conditioning.
If you run out of your usual brand of hair conditioner, use a small dab of Downy fabric softener as a substitute. To use Downy as a hair conditioner, apply through your hair immediately after you shampoo. Work thoroughly through your hair from the root of the follicle to the tip of the follicle. To achieve the smoothest results, rinse with warm water after three minutes. Using Downy leaves your hair silky smooth and with a shiny, voluminous appearance.

and they use it a lot for pet grooming also.

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
lol, I want to buy this stuff but I don't think they sell it in europe :)

Downy for the win! keep us updated guys

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Interconversion of androgen receptor forms by divalent cations and 8 S androgen receptor-promoting factor. Effects of Zn2+, Cd2+, Ca2+, and Mg2+

EM Wilson

The effects of divalent cations (Zn2+, Cd2+, Ca2+, Mg2+) on the cytosol androgen receptor were determined by sedimentation into sucrose gradients. At low ionic strength (25 mM KCl, 50 mM Tris, pH 7.4), Zn2+ (200 microM total, which calculates to 130 nM free Zn2+ in 10 mM mercaptoethanol) causes a shift in the sedimentation coefficient of the rat Dunning prostate tumor (R3327H) cytosol receptor and rat ventral prostate cytosol receptor from 7.5 +/- 0.3 S to 8.6 +/- 0.3 S. Zn2+ stabilizes the 8.6 S receptor form in salt concentrations up to 0.15 M KCl in 50 mM Tris, pH 7.2. In low ionic strength gradients containing Ca2+ (greater than or equal to 200 microM) or Mg2+ (greater than or equal to 1 mM), the receptor sediments as 4.7 +/- 0.3 S. The dissociating effects of Ca2+ and Mg2+ can be fully reversed by sedimentation into gradients containing Zn2+ (200 microM total) or Cd2+ (10 microM total). In the presence of Zn2+ (200 microM total), Ca2+ (10 microM to 3 mM) converts the receptor to an intermediate form with sedimentation coefficient 6.2 +/- 0.2 S, Stokes radius 73 A, and apparent Mr approximately 203,000. The potentiating effect of Zn2+ on formation of the 8.6 S receptor (in the absence of Ca2+) and the 6.2 S receptor (in the presence of Ca2+) requires both the 4.5 S receptor and the 8 S androgen receptor-promoting factor. Sodium molybdate stabilizes the untransformed cytosol receptor but, unlike Zn2+, does not promote reconstitution of the 8.6 S receptor from its partially purified components. These results indicate that divalent cations alter the molecular size of the androgen receptor in vitro and thus may have a role in altering the state of transformation of the receptor.

CodeUD

Reaction score
So, I would like to do a rollcall for everyone who is still committed to stick with the program. I am gonna keep on.

Davidoff, I have seen a miriad of your posts and to you everything besides finasteride and minoxidil is a snake oil. Why are you on revivogen then? In any case, I understand your frustration, but looks at it this way - people actually try out different things to see if they can work. This is exactly what they mean by the exponential increase in information exchange due to the internet. Chances of discovering a cure through trial and error is rather small, but with people getting more involved and sharing the info, its actually closer than it would have been otherwise.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
CodeUD said:
So, I would like to do a rollcall for everyone who is still committed to stick with the program. I am gonna keep on.

Davidoff, I have seen a miriad of your posts and to you everything besides finasteride and minoxidil is a snake oil. Why are you on revivogen then? In any case, I understand your frustration, but looks at it this way - people actually try out different things to see if they can work. This is exactly what they mean by the exponential increase in information exchange due to the internet. Chances of discovering a cure through trial and error is rather small, but with people getting more involved and sharing the info, its actually closer than it would have been otherwise.

I got my Dose of Downy everyday. I am in since day 1. I don't care about others losers or negative people on this very forum. We have to try things.. and it is f*****g cheap. We have the knowledge, experience and people to try things up. I won't wait for a cure by the scientists lol and it is a good challenge at the same time..Since I join the forum I learned a lot about hairloss but health in general. Some people out there don't know sh*t about hairloss and how their body work.. They just work and pay the bills and totally clueless about themselves.

G

CodeUD said:

Revivogen is probably snake oil too dude.I was just desperate because i had sides from propecia,But now i will go back at 0.25mg and hopefully still have a libido.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Davidoff said:
Revivogen is probably snake oil too dude.I was just desperate because i had sides from propecia,But now i will go back at 0.25mg and hopefully still have a libido

We all know that you are desperate Davidoff, Who cares about your libido? The only female you probably f*** in your life is your mom. :dunno:

G

How old are you man? You sound like i really hurt your feelings.Get a life.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
G

Ive reported your post telling me to f*** my mother.Ive never said anything like that to you and that is pretty vile even for an uneducated momo like yourself.All ive said was the products you are using and recommending are snake oils, and you spit this crap at me online?I dont think you would ever tell me to f*** my mother face to face.So why say it online?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Davidoff said:
Ive reported your post telling me to f*** my mother.Ive never said anything like that to you and that is pretty vile even for an uneducated momo like yourself.All ive said was the products you are using and recommending are snake oils, and you spit this crap at me online?I dont think you would ever tell me to f*** my mother face to face.So why say it online?

You are only here to f*** around, mix everybody up, saying that everything is snake oil, only minoxidil. finasteride and avodart work. There is no positivity at all. You sound like a frustrated kid all the time.. you b**ch ,trash and say something about everybody thread and people .Kind of f*****g sick of it. There is always something wrong.. Like I said before.. If you tried and know everything then..what are you doing here?????? You are just a big time Mofo for me and for a lot of users here.Big time pathetic.. Sorry about your mom.. The truth always hurt. and sorry again if my first language is not english. LOOSER

Fred