April Fresh Ultra Downy - Potential Cure?

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Inquiring baldies want to know about pink cure
When I printed Ellen Louise Doss' titillating tip that several of her balding men friends were growing nice fluffy hair by using April Fresh Ultra Downy fabric softener (with the pink cap), I expected my readers would chuckle a little bit and move on.

But instead, I've gotten dozens and dozens of e-mails and phone calls from hair-hungry readers eager to know more about this seemingly magical hair-raising method.

• "You talked about some men saying that it has made their hair grow on the top of their head, but you didn't say if they used it like a cream rinse or a styling agent."

• "Is this to be used full strength or diluted, and is it left on the scalp or rinsed out?'

• "1. How much do you use? 2. How often do you use it? 3. How long does it take to see any results? 4. Do you leave it on or do you rinse it out?'

• "I am desperate for a cure and have tried everything. Wonder how long these men used the product before they got results? Did they use it more than once a day or what?"

Some of these inquiring folks do indeed sound desperate, even though bald is beautiful these days. (Think Eddie George.)

But I always aim to be responsive to my readers' questions and was increasingly intrigued by the pink-topped laundry product, so I called Ellen Louise back and asked her for more specific instructions.

"They put it on (full strength) when they wash their hair and use it like cream rinse. You just leave it on a minute or two and then rinse it out,' she said, explaining that her fluffy fellow friends saw results in a matter of months — bald spots being covered, little or no hair falling out in the brush or sink, brand new hair sprouting from totally bald heads.

"We couldn't believe it. One man we know was completely bald and now he has hair growing all over the top of his head,' she reiterated. "It is about an inch long or longer.'

With her testimony — and a promise of pictures — fueling me on, I decided to call Procter & Gamble and see what they knew about their product's miracle cure.

"I've been here two years and I've never heard this,' said Kash Shaikh, a spokesman for the Downy product, which, by the way, has been around for 48 years.

"We certainly don't make any claims like that,' he said. Then he added, "But I'm beginning to thin out a little bit so I may give it a try.'

Why not?! There's nothing to lose and maybe a lot to gain. Just let me know how you come out if you try this!

Stay cheap!

Reach Ms. Cheap at 259-8282 or mscheap@tennessean.com.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... /ARCHIVE01

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Since this story was posted in an actual newspaper, by an actual person that makes her living as a reporter, it has decent credibility IMHO.

All that to say - tonight, I'm going to the store to pick up a bottle of pink top Downy Fabric Softner. I will test it out on my arm hair for a week to make sure it's not going to burn me if left on for 5 minutes, and after a week of applying every day to my arm hair, I'm going to take a before picture and start applying to my scalp.

Worst case is I continue to lose hair, all-be-it smell like a million bucks - at which point, the Snuggle Bear will get angry and kill me with fabric softener sheets.

Best case is, this actually works and I regrow some hair.

So long as I don't get chemical burns (highly doubtful) on my arm, I can't really see a downside to this.

I figure since my current hair regimen is quite simple (finasteride & nizoral), I should be able to tell if this is actually making a difference.

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
I live in Nashville and read the Tennessean. If anyone wants me to give this person a call, let me know. I use it for my clothes, but I'd be weary of putting it on my head

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
BaldButCute said:
WTF! Does starch grow hair too?

Probably not, but it may help combat whiskey dick. Just spray starch your junk in attention mode and *shish, boom, bonjour* Houston we have liftoff. :hump:

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Good find Harrie! lol Somebody knows the ingredients in the bottle?? Doesn't have a bottle at home and cannot find the over the web...??? Somebody can reach Ms. Cheap to get pictures and more info about it??? Time to work on that and test it! you never know?? :dunno: Thanks Harrie for the post again.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
The ingredients are listed as 'Biodegradable Fabric Softening Agents Cationic.'

A cation is a group of positively charged ions, which would attract negatively charged particles to the scalp. I wonder if magnet therapy would have the same effect? And why? What substances in the scalp would need or have negatively charged particles? Does anyone know of any studies about magnetic fields and the human body

Cationic detergents, which produce electrically positive ions in solution

WTF???

Histochemical studies of hair follicles show that anagen follicles differ from catagen and telogen follicles with respect to the presence of calcium ions. The average calcium content of anagen bulbs is the order of one nanogram per bulb. The average calcium content of catagen bulbs appears to be about twice as high whereas the calcium content of telogen bulbs appears to average about four nanograms per bulb although calcium concentrations as high as twenty nanograms per bulb has been demonstrated in some telogen bulbs. Villus follicles, that is, the follicles containing the diminutive non-growing, non-pigmented incompletely keratinized hair characteristic of the bald scalp, have a relatively high concentration of calcium ions when compared with "normal" hair follicles. This is the common "peach fuzz" appearance of the scalp on bald persons. It remains unclear whether the relatively high calcium ion concentration in villus and telogen follicles are a cause or a result of these follicles inability to reenter the anagen phase

Giovanni Magnetic Shampoo Energizing .... I will rather try that shampoo and conditionner than THE downy stuff!!!

Energizing ShampooThis dynamic shampoo's cleansing power comes from deep within the earth. Magnetite, a polarizing mineral that infuses positive energy while repelling negative charges, combines with special cleansing and conditioning forces. Magnetite is the most magnetic of all the naturally occurring minerals on Earth

The Magnetic Density Level (MDL) indicates the amount of Magnetite that is used in each formula. The higher the number, the greater amount of Magnetite used. Therefore, a Level 10 has twice as much Magnetite as Level 5. The greater the level of Magnetite the greater the conditioning properties that the product possesses. Also, with increased Magnetite comes increased benefits from magnetic therapy for your hair and scalp. Giovanni is careful to use only the highest quality Magnetite available to ensure pure, sustained magnetic energy.

Yes there really is Magnetitite in both formulas. There is also lots of other goodies like Rosemary Oil, Sage Leaf, Clary and Grapefruit Seed.

The Shampoo Ingredients Include:

Aqueous (Water) Extracts of *Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil, *Coltsfoot Leaf (Tussilago Farfara), *Sage Leaf (Salvia Officinalis), *Clary (Salvia Sclarea), *Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil, *Soybean Protein (Glycine Soja), C12-14 Olefin Sulfonate (coconut derived), Cocomidopropyl Betaine, ** Magnetite (Fe3O4), Citric Acid (corn), Lactoferrin (Metalloprotein), Mica, Sodium Hydroxymethylglyc

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Last night I went out and bought a $5.00 bottle of Downy Ultra (the pink top). There was a concentrated version and a non-concentrated version - and since Ms. Cheap is all about being cheap - I bought the concentrated Downy because that was the best deal.

Went home, and hopped in the shower. I used some Nizoral and while that was sitting on my head, put some Downy on my arm. When it had been 2 or 3 minutes and I wasn't screaming in pain - in fact, it gave me a cooling sensation - I figured it was plenty safe to use on my head. Rinsed the Nizoral and poured some into my hand, massaged onto my hair, left it there for a few minutes and rinsed it out.

I've got to say that I think the Downy does a great job at taming frizzy hair while the hair is still somewhat damp. Way better than any other "conditioner" I've used.

As one other person on HLH reported, I did get a slight headache, but that went away after I washed my arms (they had Downy on them too, which I could really smell) with some soap...So I think it's the smell that gave me a headache. The best part of this was that my wife liked the way my hair smelled. She said I smelled like fresh laundry. :)

Cliffs:

Downy does not burn skin
Downy tames frizzy hair
Downy smells good and not too overpowering as long as you only put it on your head
Downy gives a small headache due to the smell if used on other parts of the body (since it's hard to smell your scalp :mrgreen: )

*EDIT* Forgot to mention that I will take baseline pictures tonight & will post em up here. I am also going to cease using the licorice shampoo/conditioner after reading info that it may actually be bad for hair growth.

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
Please keep updating this if you stick to it, this seems interesting. I'd start it myself but I'm only 2.5 months post op 3rd hair transplant, so I'm still a little cautious with my locks! craziest thing ever if this works.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Good job Harie! I feel like trying too! why the f*****g not! Going to buy these magnetic line of shampoo and conditioners from Giovanni this morning http://giovannicosmetics.com/Mline/data/ and add cations to my artillery against Hairloss. We need less spectators and more guinea pigs..so guys don't be shy! Downy or Giovanni...

Fred

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
Good job Harie! I feel like trying too! why the f****ing not! Going to buy these magnetic line of shampoo and conditioners from Giovanni this morning http://giovannicosmetics.com/Mline/data/ and add cations to my artillery against Hairloss. We need less spectators and more guinea pigs..so guys don't be shy! Downy or Giovanni...

Fred

I figure that my $5 bottle of Downy will last me for at least 3 months if used every day, so there's no reason not to give it a go IMO.

For those that are wondering if it's really safe, here's what I know. Pet groomers have used fabric softeners as "conditioners" after they wash aminal fur for years and years now. Downy pink top is biodegradable, a hairdresser used/uses it (she's the one that originally sent in the tip about Downy as best as I can tell), when Ms. Cheap called Proctor & Gamble, they didn't tell her anything negative about putting it on hair.

Hell, maybe putting positively charged ions onto hair/scalp attracts sebum buildup, or even demodex (if you buy that theory)...So when you rinse it off, bye-bye sebum/demodex...Just a wacky theory.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
More info on ions.

http://www.djclarke.co.uk/file06.html

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip818.htm

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5122369.html

http://www.giovannicosmetics.com/Mline/ ... xphome.php

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4931274.html

The last link is very interesting.

"A composition for effectively treating dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis and scalp psoriasis comprising a combination of essential ingredients consisting of microfine particles of a clay mineral containing adsorbed magnesium, water, ethanol, sodium chloride and, optionally, minor amounts of glycerin and precipitated sulfur. The effectiveness of the method in treating such scalp diseases by topical application to the scalp epidermis is predicated on the capacity of the composition to release and deliver magnesium cations and hydroxyl anions to the causative sites and return the associated pathological cells to a normal morphology."

As a totally unrelated side note - check this out. Again, from the last link.

"As an ancillary corroboration of compositions of the present invention being able to penetrate to the sebaceous gland and carry and deliver a substance, a small amount of minoxidil was added to the 100 ml preparation of Example 1. Four clinically bald males were instructed to apply the mixture once daily. While the manufacturer of minoxidil reports vellus hair appearance in 30-50% of the samples in 4-6 months, the instant preparation with minoxidil produced vellus hair on the four samples within nine days."

100% of the 4 bald men grew vellus hair and in 9 f*cking days! I wonder if this Ms. Cheap is actually onto something here (in a round about way)...Using positively charged ions as a carrier agent since the epidermis is negatively charged.

After 3 or 4 months, I'm going to put a few ml of Downy in a bottle of minoxidil and give that a go.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Just went to the mall bought new stuff:

Giovanni Magnetic energizing shampoo MDL:5
Giovanni Magnetic Power treatment MDL:23 ( conditionner)
and Ultra Downy free and sensitive ( sensitive skin) 40 loads LOL concentrate!man haha

add it to my revivogen and nizoral treatment!!

FTW!

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Ok just tried everything in the shower

Giovanni shampoo and conditioners are just good stuff..Kind of gray alien color and silky.. Good stuff!
Tried the sensitive skin ultra concentrate downy also...just amazing! no scent to it, no burning..milky..it penetrate easy in the hairs also..doesn't bubbles like soap or shampoo..i left it there for 3 minutes..no problems at all whatsoever. no headaches, no crazy fresh laundry smell and no burning.. Godd f*****g sh*t! Cations rules! :punk: I applied minoxidil and dutas on my head after..everything feel like before..no surprises ..superb! I will keep it that way for months and wait and posted results.. I bought a digital camera with a good zoom on it.. I will keep everyone updated..

Fred

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Squeegee - Do you suppose that besides the scent, there's any difference between the April Fresh & sensitive skin Downy? I wonder if there's a specific reason for April Fresh, or if the lady in TN that wrote in about this just hadn't tried any other kinds?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Same ingredients as far as I know.. Ultra concentrate, same brand. dematologist formula, No scent. Why not? you need the cations not the smell or headaches lol . She probably tried what she has on her hand at that moment you know and continued with it. Just need something more human friendly to use on our head!

Fred

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Lucky! Go buy some and get over the fact that is Downy lol! :woot:

Fred

masculineyourheart

Established Member
Reaction score
10 out of 10 for effort guys. I won't be putting this stuff on my head but I'll keep an eye on your progress.

Good luck team.