Any Experience With Very Low Dose Oral Minoxidil (less Than 5 Mg)

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical minoxidil gave me tremendous results in the past. Yet oral minoxidil doesn't seem to do anything at all for me. In fact I suspect it made things worse. Strange.

What dosage are you taking? and for how long?

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
The first time I took it for 6 months and built up to 10mg a day. My hair was worse after those 6 months with zero indication of things turning around. Recently I tried starting again, with a lower dose (built up to 5mg a day) and in combination with other stuff such as microneedling. 3 months later and again zero signs of improvement plus a very annoying painful scalp sensation acted up again after I upped my dosage to 5mg. This scalp pain began a few months after my first stint with oral minoxidil. I had to take aspirin and sometimes ibuprofen daily to manage the pain. After about 9 months the worst part of it was over. But it came back quickly after taking oral minoxidil for the 2nd time, which had me worried. I stopped taking it this week and don't think I'll try it again. I want to compound my own 15% minoxidil solution instead. 15% minoxidil is the only thing that ever worked for me.

that’s interesting.. what type of pain was it and where on your scalp did it hurt.. I have a similar issue, but never pin pointed it or anything. Also, i used topical for two years back when I was about 20yrs old.. the effect of oral FAR exceeds topical, but I have legit minoxidil sulfate powder.. make sure you’re using legitimate minoxidil. I have had issues with Inhouse before.. not sure if that’s where you ordered yours from.

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
no one here has a heart condition? I wanna try Loniten so bad but I have convinced myself it's going to give me a heart attack, I have a very mild case of mitral valve prolapse :(

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical minoxidil gave me tremendous results in the past. Yet oral minoxidil doesn't seem to do anything at all for me. In fact I suspect it made things worse. Strange.
It's nearly impossible for something like oral minoxidil to make your hair worse. What's most likely is that your hair loss, whose underlying cause oral minoxidil does not address, was too aggressive and negated any potential benefit that oral minoxidil was able to give you.

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's nearly impossible for something like oral minoxidil to make your hair worse. What's most likely is that your hair loss, whose underlying cause oral minoxidil does not address, was too aggressive and negated any potential benefit that oral minoxidil was able to give you.

I was a non-responder to topical. I decided to try oral at 5 mg a day (one year and a half on it). Somehow, oral minoxidil worked as I got enhanced body hair everywhere but on my head. I kept shedding a lot and my hair quality got worse.

Since I stopped it, my shedding has diminished but it could be zix kicking in after two months.

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was a non-responder to topical. I decided to try oral at 5 mg a day (one year and a half on it). Somehow, oral minoxidil worked as I got enhanced body hair everywhere but on my head. I kept shedding a lot and my hair quality got worse.

Since I stopped it, my shedding has diminished but it could be zix kicking in after two months.
Yes, oral minoxidil did its job then. Just that your hairloss’s underlying cause overwhelmed its effects on the scalp

Davgogs

My Regimen
Reaction score
How was the initial shedding? I'm using it for three weeks and all I saw is lots of shedding and some tiny white vellus hairs. It's the worse shed that I've ever seen so far. I thought since I was using topical I don't shed so much but it seems I'm wrong. How long does it take your sheddings and how was it?

WelshGuiri

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum.

So I've been on topical Minoxidil for the past 6 months, and finasteride 1mg for the past 5 months where I've seen some regrowth in the crown, and thickening of the mid scalp region. I still havent seen the results I'd like therefore today I've just started my new prescription of Oral minoxidil 1mg which I'll take in the morning and continue with the topical Minoxidil once in the evening.

The reason I've started at 1mg is to reduce the side effects (should there be any) and also prolong the life span of taking the drug, since I can increase in small increments in due course if necessary. The other reason is that dosages as low as 0.65 to 1.25mg have been shown to be more effective than the topical, since I use liquid minoxidil my hair and scalp will also be less greasy during the day.

I'm in my early 30's and work out regularly. I'll be sure to update this in the coming weeks with any sides/possible sheds.

Regards

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

So I've been on topical Minoxidil for the past 6 months, and finasteride 1mg for the past 5 months where I've seen some regrowth in the crown, and thickening of the mid scalp region. I still havent seen the results I'd like therefore today I've just started my new prescription of Oral minoxidil 1mg which I'll take in the morning and continue with the topical Minoxidil once in the evening.

The reason I've started at 1mg is to reduce the side effects (should there be any) and also prolong the life span of taking the drug, since I can increase in small increments in due course if necessary. The other reason is that dosages as low as 0.65 to 1.25mg have been shown to be more effective than the topical, since I use liquid minoxidil my hair and scalp will also be less greasy during the day.

I'm in my early 30's and work out regularly. I'll be sure to update this in the coming weeks with any sides/possible sheds.

Regards

Please do keep us updated.

coco_304

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Regards
How did you get 1 mg minoxidil??

WelshGuiri

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just over a 1 week update for those interested.

No difference in hair volume, however I definitely feel my hairs growing quicker and all over my body (I am aware of hair cycles) but this is just an observation. No shedding as of yet either.

Regards to side effects, I've had a few headaches this week, now I never suffer from headaches usually but this could also be stress induced. One other strange thing I've noticed is that I find I get alot hotter in the face when working out, along with redness this is only temporarily once I cool down everything is back to normal. As a side note I've been training a while, and the intensity hasn't changed.

So far I'm happy and having spoken to my hair surgeon yesterday it's possible I may increase the dosage to 2.5mg after 1 month instead of 3 months.

coco_304

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

No difference in hair volume, however I definitely feel my hairs growing quicker and all over my body (I am aware of hair cycles) but this is just an observation. No shedding as of yet either.

Regards to side effects, I've had a few headaches this week, now I never suffer from headaches usually but this could also be stress induced. One other strange thing I've noticed is that I find I get alot hotter in the face when working out, along with redness this is only temporarily once I cool down everything is back to normal. As a side note I've been training a while, and the intensity hasn't changed.

So far I'm happy and having spoken to my hair surgeon yesterday it's possible I may increase the dosage to 2.5mg after 1 month instead of 3 months.
How you got 1 mg of minoxidil??

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

That’s good, my shed has started and its kinda depressing but hopefully the outcome will be good

WelshGuiri

My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s good, my shed has started and its kinda depressing but hopefully the outcome will be good
Hang in there, it's usually a good thing as it's a sign of stronger hairs coming back through.

How long have you been on the oral minoxidil and were you on the topical prior to that?

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hang in there, it's usually a good thing as it's a sign of stronger hairs coming back through.

How long have you been on the oral minoxidil and were you on the topical prior to that?

I have been on the oral version for just over three weeks (I’m drinking the liquid since it’s difficult for me to get, however). I wasn’t on the topical before. When you mentioned headaches within the first week, I got that too! It was bizarre, and I wasn’t sure what was causing it, but it seemed to be an initial side effect.

WelshGuiri

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on the oral version for just over three weeks (I’m drinking the liquid since it’s difficult for me to get, however). I wasn’t on the topical before. When you mentioned headaches within the first week, I got that too! It was bizarre, and I wasn’t sure what was causing it, but it seemed to be an initial side effect.

Well it's good to know we can attribute it to the medication, my guess is because Minoxidil is a Vasidilator the extra blood flow or simply the widening of the blood vessels could cause slight pressure in the head hence the headaches. If it continues I'll probably take the medication in the evening as opposed to the mornings.

Regards your shed, this is totally normal if you've never tried minoxidil before, my shed was for around 2 months and then I started noticing regrowth.