Anti-ageing creams and general face care

CCS

Reaction score
Some male model said that models keep their face looking young by not using soap on it. They just wipe oil off, and rinse sweat off, and wash only when needed. Not sure how true that is. I try to use sunblock, and it tastes bad, so I don't think rinsing or wiping would be good enough.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I've not used soap for years, just splash cold water on my face. Moisturise occasionally, especially after shaving. Looking in to getting an olive oil bar, which looks like a bar of soap, only a bar of olive oil, and from what i've read it's very good for the skin.

CCS

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
I've not used soap for years, just splash cold water on my face. Moisturise occasionally, especially after shaving. Looking in to getting an olive oil bar, which looks like a bar of soap, only a bar of olive oil, and from what i've read it's very good for the skin.

sounds interesting. I'd try anything to get the redness out of my face. I'd blame body wash, but I use body wash on my body too, and no redness there. I think it is some kind of sun sensitivity, but I always wear a wide brimmed hat and avoid the sun. I think it got worse when I was staring at my CRT for hours a day.

Maybe my redness is caused by chemicals in my sun screan, but I don't wear sunscreen all the time, just when I know I'll be exposed to the sun a lot. And my forehead is so covered by my hat that the sun never hits it, and I don't put sun screan up there. No one in my family has a red face either. I bet it is from sun exposure to my face when I was a kid. That is the only thing that makes sense. But my face looked at lot better as a teanager, though sometimes DNA damage takes years to show up.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're not supposed to use body wash on your face, it's way too harsh. Face skin is much more sensitive than body skin.

CCS

Reaction score
How do you get dead skin cells off your face? I use my finger nails to get it off fast. Or should I use a wash cloth without soap?

BTW, when I woke up this morning, my face looked like a model's face. but I know it will get red again later. Annoying. It drops at least 3 points when it turns red.

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I never use soap. I never go tanning. I use Este Lauder bronzer at night on my face and then in the morning use clinique moisterizer for my face. I haven't had a blemish in years and get a pimple probally once a year ussually in my eyebrow... so no one sees it... but it hurts.... : (

CCS

Reaction score
KielMcK said:
I never use soap. I never go tanning. I use Este Lauder bronzer at night on my face and then in the morning use clinique moisterizer for my face. I haven't had a blemish in years and get a pimple probally once a year ussually in my eyebrow... so no one sees it... but it hurts.... : (

When you say you don't use soap, you mean not even shampoo or body wash or any clenser? Or Cetaphil? Just rinse and wipe?

How do you remove dead skin cells? Does a smell ever develop? If I just rinsed and wiped off my body, I'd smell. No one would buy soap if that worked.

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ummmm... this is probally gonna sound gross but I do not use soap, do not use shampoo on my body. I just put nizoral orgillette shampoo in my hair and soak my body for like 10 mins in the shower. I hop out of the shower and towel dry and hardly rub my skin. I then ussually walk around the house naked for an hour and make omlettes or some other protein packed food.

Also I only use deodorant like maybe once a month and I hardly ever get BO.

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
I think body washes are just a big scam to sell liquid soap thats used on the body. Just seem theres been so much hype on all these products to exfoliate your skin and then moisturize, sure you need to moisturize after you finish stripping your skin. Also using hpot water isnt good for most skin types

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Tretinoin is a derivative of vitamin A. Topical tretinoin is used in the treatment of mild to moderate acne and on skin that has been damaged by excessive exposure to the sun. Tretinoin irritates the skin and causes the cells of the skin to grow (divide) and die more rapidly, increasing the turnover of cells. The number of layers of cells in the skin actually is reduced. In patients with acne, new cells replace the cells of existing pimples, and the rapid turnover of cells prevents new pimples from forming. By a similar mechanism, tretinoin can reduce some wrinkles, areas of darkened skin, and rough areas of skin, all of which occur in sun-damaged skin. In patients with sun-damaged skin, improvements in the skin usually are seen within the first 3 to 4 weeks of treatment. Brown spots begin to fade after six to eight weeks. Wrinkles decrease or disappear after three to six months. Following application to the skin, a minimal amount of drug is absorbed into the body. The FDA approved topical tretinoin in 1971.

I assume not permanently right ?

reams are often useful for milder changes of aging including fine lines, wrinkles or roughness. Tretinoin creams (vitamin A derivative or retinoid) and alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) are commonly used. They may also improve minor colour changes.

Tretinoin creams can provide long term benefits if used regularly. Tretinoin creams have been shown to improve facial wrinkles, and are especially useful for fine lines, and minor changes in colour. They can be successfully used on the face and also the back of hands. Their main disadvantage is they can cause skin irritation, redness, itching, dryness, or flaking and increased sensitivity to sunlight. Stringent sun-protective measures are required, as a sunburn could negate the cream's beneficial effects.

There are many formulations available, your doctor or dermatologist can recommend one most suitable for your skin. Tretinoin creams are only available by prescription in Australia. Your doctor can give you instructions on how and when to apply a tretinoin cream. Once you stop using a tretinoin cream, all its beneficial effects will potentially disappear with time.
So brown spots, sun damage, ect.. will reappear ?? sounds strange

Libido

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted to drop by and say this is by far the best responce I´ve ever got from a topic ever - in any forum.

Really, really great work!

CCS

Reaction score
http://www.familyresource.com/health/sk ... nformation

Retin-A should be used as follows:

* Wash your face no more than twice a day with a mild soap. Avoid harsh abrasive soaps or scrubs. The use of astringents, clarifiers, toners, or purifying lotions should be minimized as advised.
* After washing your face at bedtime, pat your face dry with a towel, don't rub. Apply Retin-A lightly to areas being treated and leave on overnight. Apply your regular moisturizing cream in the morning to prevent drying and peeling. You do not have to wash your face at bedtime before applying Retin-A.
* Be careful using Retin-A at the corner of the mouth, nose, eyes, and other sensitive areas which chap easily. Avoid excessive unprotected exposure to the sun, as well as wind and cold, since these tend to dry and burn skin more readily in a n individual using Retin-A. As discussed above, a #15 SPF sunscreen should be used. If you go to the beach or skiing, you may need to cut down or stop the Retin-A. Avoid waxing as well.
* Patients with dry, sensitive or fair skin should start out using the medication every other night for 2-4 weeks, after which time nightly application will usually be tolerated. If not tolerated, you may need a milder concentration of Retin-A.
* Some mild redness and peeling may occur during the first few weeks of treatment. If excessive redness, peeling, drying or crusting occurs, discontinue use of the medication for several days to allow your face to recover before resuming application.
* Sometimes stinging occurs around the eyes with soap and water, sun screens, etc. This usually resolves with time and use of a moisturizer.
* After several weeks to months some discrete rough, red scaly spots may surface. These are precancerous keratoses which would have emerged in the future and now are in the process of being destroyed.
* It take 6-12 months to see the full effect of improvement of Retin-A and then a maintenance schedule is begun of applications 2-3 times a week.
* If you begin to notice broken blood vessels in the areas in which you are using Retin-A, stop applying Retin-A to these areas.
* If you are of childbearing age and are anticipating a pregnancy, discontinue the use of Retin-A prior to becoming pregnant.
* If you are always in the sun, you probably should not use Retin-A.
* If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact your dermatologist.

Sounds like it is more than just a cosmetic.

CCS

Reaction score
Jacob said:
Follically Challenged said:
Jacob said:
How about AC-11(a cat's claw extract)...both internally and topically.

Elsomresearch.com has some products I've been trying out...on my face as well.

Wow wicked thanks for the heads up on AC-11...I saw a cream sold on the shopping network involving Cat's Claw, sounded really good. I don't think it was the extract, though. Thank you!

It may have been the one. I can't find the dang stuff at the moment- there is a skin care line(topical) that contains it. Also a hair care line- Rephair.

Some more on the AC-11:

http://www.skinandaging.com/article/5336

Very good stuff.

I also read that vitamin D is first metabolized by the liver before it does its job. Still it fights skin cancer, so I take a lot orally.

I think my regimen will be:
1. Avoid the sun.
2. Topical Retin A and Resveratrol and AC-11.
3. Oral vitamin D and E.

The sun can make oils in your cells go rancid unless you have antioxidants in the fats, such as plenty of vitamin E, which is in sunflower seeds in very high amounts.

CCS

Reaction score
squeegee said:
Fountain of youth!

[youtube:2h2z3v8k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PefdHNnDuv4[/youtube:2h2z3v8k]

hyaluronic acid

Eat it. Apply it.

Only problem is your body won't absorb it. The natives make it themselves in their bodies because they have a calorie restricted diet, not because it is in their food. Not eating processed food helps too.

CCS

Reaction score
The folk on bodybuilding.com say the reason the old people live so well is they don't eat processed food over there. There is nothing special in their diet. They just eat nutritious, high fiber food.

We die over here because our hot dog buns don't have fiber in them.

CCS

Reaction score
AC-11 basically is Cat Claw Extract. It is cheap, and supposed to be good for osteoarthritis and repairing DNA. Resveratrol also helps repair DNA. And retin-A seems to destroy recancerous areas before they even surface. Resveratrol is also an anti-oxidant. I would use those and a regenerative sun block.

Normal sun block breaks down and forms anti-oxidants. You want one that strongly blocks uva and uvb and regenerates itself. And I would not trust it either. It is back up in case your hat does not work.

If you want nice skin in old age, stay out of the sun. And supplement with vitamin d or eat fish.

CCS

Reaction score
waynakyo said:
DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Tretinoin is a derivative of vitamin A. Topical tretinoin is used in the treatment of mild to moderate acne and on skin that has been damaged by excessive exposure to the sun. Tretinoin irritates the skin and causes the cells of the skin to grow (divide) and die more rapidly, increasing the turnover of cells. The number of layers of cells in the skin actually is reduced. In patients with acne, new cells replace the cells of existing pimples, and the rapid turnover of cells prevents new pimples from forming. By a similar mechanism, tretinoin can reduce some wrinkles, areas of darkened skin, and rough areas of skin, all of which occur in sun-damaged skin. In patients with sun-damaged skin, improvements in the skin usually are seen within the first 3 to 4 weeks of treatment. Brown spots begin to fade after six to eight weeks. Wrinkles decrease or disappear after three to six months. Following application to the skin, a minimal amount of drug is absorbed into the body. The FDA approved topical tretinoin in 1971.

I assume not permanently right ?

[quote:192kmrck]reams are often useful for milder changes of aging including fine lines, wrinkles or roughness. Tretinoin creams (vitamin A derivative or retinoid) and alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) are commonly used. They may also improve minor colour changes.

Tretinoin creams can provide long term benefits if used regularly. Tretinoin creams have been shown to improve facial wrinkles, and are especially useful for fine lines, and minor changes in colour. They can be successfully used on the face and also the back of hands. Their main disadvantage is they can cause skin irritation, redness, itching, dryness, or flaking and increased sensitivity to sunlight. Stringent sun-protective measures are required, as a sunburn could negate the cream's beneficial effects.

There are many formulations available, your doctor or dermatologist can recommend one most suitable for your skin. Tretinoin creams are only available by prescription in Australia. Your doctor can give you instructions on how and when to apply a tretinoin cream. Once you stop using a tretinoin cream, all its beneficial effects will potentially disappear with time.
So brown spots, sun damage, ect.. will reappear ?? sounds strange[/quote:192kmrck]

Nay, just your skin thins back a bit and stops turning over so much, I would think.