Advice Needed From Those Who Use Tape For Bonding.

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
See this is my point. I'm up past 1am trying to be helpful on the board and you're pointing out things that are not only untrue but irrelevant as well.

Using your math would be assuming that 100% of hair where is use acrylic glue. If you read my post, 3rd paragraph... I stated we all know that's not true as many use white bonds. Let's assume for argument's sake of 50% use acrylic. Which is how you arrive at .000075

Not claiming to be perfect I can make a mistake but make sure you understand the statement on making before you try to correct something that's not wrong.

My original post is based on 10k but to appease and ignorant member I said let's bump it to 50k.

That number was then split in half twice 50% for people that use acrylic and 50% again for people that get cancer from it

I just feel like the responses is hey you forgot to carry a one... and I caught you... like that would even make a difference in the point, it just doesn't though. :)

Don't mean to get snippy with you but a couple members have me very irritated like it's a personal battle when it's not it's meant to help.

Also, that's something I've said over and over again... everyone has the right to make their own decision I'm just trying to make sure it's a well-informed decision and not an ignorant one.

Ignorance can be fixed with knowledge, stupidity cannot.

That's just a general statement, not at you :)

My mistake TooBad, and I agree, it was also irrelevant. This discussion has me questioning everything now, but I am hopeful the potential harmful effects are very long term. Too late for me to get cold feet now.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
My mistake TooBad, and I agree, it was also irrelevant. This discussion has me questioning everything now, but I am hopeful the potential harmful effects are very long term. Too late for me to get cold feet now.

I hear you, when this whole post started I had no intention of switching from acrylic.
I keep saying hey Well I know the risks at least I'm not being ignorant but.... what am I doing with that knowledge... I'm still putting myself at risk. So that makes me an intelligent idiot?

If anything, I convinced one person through all this back and forth, myself :)

But now I really think I'm going to order no sweat from prohair labs and give a full bond with ghost Bond Platinum at try.

Noah

Reaction score
Hey Noah,
Not looking to pick a fight with you as I respect you..and you always speak intelligently. You are also probably the most helpful person on the board.

I'd like your opinion with this perspective in mind.... We have 325 million people in the US ...if we agreed that there's say 10k hair wearers....thats .00003 of the population....

I'm sure we could both agree not 100% of those people are using acrylic bonds... to keep it fair lets say 50% are. That's .000015 of the population that exposed to the acrylic bonds.

Let's make the assumption that half of them got cancer that was directly influenced by chemical adhesives. Now we're speaking of .0000075 of the population.

You'd still take the position that an obscenely insignificantly small amount of people such as that would be newsworthy or noticed by the medical field as being directly caused by one factor such as an acrylic Bond?

I did two years in Hematology Oncology. One thing I can say without a doubt is when one gets cancer we can never put a finger on exactly what triggered it. There are many studies showing that half of lung cancer patients have never smoked.

But we can say, as its proven over and over... Is when we take 1000 non-smokers and 1000 smokers the prevalence of cancer in the smoking group is significantly higher...in some studies 75% higher than the non-smoking group. This is how we conclude that smoking is not necessarily cause and effect meaning that you are guaranteed lung cancer..... nor does not smoking guarantee you will not get lung cancer... but it cannot be ignored that it significantly increases your risk.

That's been my point the whole conversation. I'm not saying everyone's going to get it, but the risks are real.

Yes, I agree there are risks with everything from food, water, environmental exposures, genetics, viruses, bacteria...... NO argument there. My position is certainly not to stay indoors 24/7 as a hermit and eat only organic food............But if we have the ability to limit our exposure to things that we know increase our risk... that's a wise move.... Fortunately enough in the Hair world we have options such as ghost Bond and water based adhesives that don't contain the chemicals that acrylics do.

My concern has been about the long-term effects with regard to cancer. Toxic just means poisonous.... and it's typically acute and noticed/treated quickly.

I'm sure we've all had a bout of food poisoning or sun poisoning. It doesn't mean you're going to die.. and most often you don't.
Typically when you remove the offender causing toxicity the person will recover, with none or minimal long-term effects.

That's not the case with cancer....and that's why I'm stressing the risks are not something to take lightly.

Hi Toobad

You won't find me arguing with a medical professional about medical topics. I am a big believer in getting professional advice and taking it. I will think very carefully about the points you have made on this thread.

The only issue I am not sure about is the estimate of 10K wearers. I say "not sure" advisedly, because I genuinely don't know, and there doesn't seem to be any reliable data, but there are some indications that perhaps that figure is an under-estimate. For example:

- Hair Club, which has been going for 40 years, claims on its website that it "has helped more than 600,000 men and women restore their hair". Obviously that is both sexes, and not all of those people will be current wearers. But it's still a big figure from just one supplier, and I would guess it's far more men than women. And I can't believe Hair Club would lie about anything....

- This article (https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303933704577530693697899910) says that when Hair Club was sold to Aderans in 2012 it had an astonishing 12,700 salons. It would be interesting to know how many hair system customers it takes to make a salon pay. It would guess it has to be 200 at least (that's total guesswork though).

- Wikipedia says that "By 1970, Time magazine estimated that in the U.S. toupées were worn by more than 2.5 million men out of 17–20 million balding men". Obviously that is 50 years ago, and shaved heads are far more popular now. Still, Time is a respectable source, and one-in-ten bald guys wearing a piece is a dramatic figure.

- This very serious-sounding report (https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13243-019-0067-0) says that "The false hair industry is growing globally, with an annual estimated turnover of £6.2 billion (around $8.3 billion) in the UK alone. Estimates indicate the UK imported $773,000 worth of human hair year in 2016, with global imports of human hair totalling $65.3 million. Again, that's men and women, so it includes all the hair extensions etc. but it's still an amazingly large figure.

It would be very interesting to know how many hair wearers there are in the world.

Noah

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Toobad

You won't find me arguing with a medical professional about medical topics. I am a big believer in getting professional advice and taking it. I will think very carefully about the points you have made on this thread.

The only issue I am not sure about is the estimate of 10K wearers. I say "not sure" advisedly, because I genuinely don't know, and there doesn't seem to be any reliable data, but there are some indications that perhaps that figure is an under-estimate. For example:

- Hair Club, which has been going for 40 years, claims on its website that it "has helped more than 600,000 men and women restore their hair". Obviously that is both sexes, and not all of those people will be current wearers. But it's still a big figure from just one supplier, and I would guess it's far more men than women. And I can't believe Hair Club would lie about anything....

- This article (https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303933704577530693697899910) says that when Hair Club was sold to Aderans in 2012 it had an astonishing 12,700 salons. It would be interesting to know how many hair system customers it takes to make a salon pay. It would guess it has to be 200 at least (that's total guesswork though).

- Wikipedia says that "By 1970, Time magazine estimated that in the U.S. toupées were worn by more than 2.5 million men out of 17–20 million balding men". Obviously that is 50 years ago, and shaved heads are far more popular now. Still, Time is a respectable source, and one-in-ten bald guys wearing a piece is a dramatic figure.

- This very serious-sounding report (https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13243-019-0067-0) says that "The false hair industry is growing globally, with an annual estimated turnover of £6.2 billion (around $8.3 billion) in the UK alone. Estimates indicate the UK imported $773,000 worth of human hair year in 2016, with global imports of human hair totalling $65.3 million. Again, that's men and women, so it includes all the hair extensions etc. but it's still an amazingly large figure.

It would be very interesting to know how many hair wearers there are in the world.

Noah

Thanks for your response. I'm willing to go along with those numbers for argument's sake. They're not claiming they have 600k active clients. In 44 years there claiming to have serviced 600k people.

They offer many hair loss Solutions, systems, extension/xtrands, light therapy, transplants, minoxidil, and more...

Quite obviously Our concern is with systems.
To keep it easy, they offer say 6 hair loss Solutions... Combined that accounts for 600k people. If you divided evenly.... now the systems only account for 100k ..... Not all of the 100k stick with it long term.... so they are not part of the long term exposure equation. Many are once and done. Lets say half do stick it out.. now that 100K has dropped to 50k....... my concern has always been acrylic.. Many people use Clips or white Bond . Say half combined.....Now drops to a mere 25k from an original 600k... People that are Relevant to us....the long term, hair system wearing, acrylic Bond using population. ....you see where I'm going With this.
325 million in the US... 25k is a paltry .000065 of the population.... If 50% of them end up getting cancer directly caused by the adhesive this is now .0000325
One thing I'm sure we would all agree on, 50% is a high estimate of people to directly get cancer( which only proves my point more).
don't get overly caught up on the numbers, as you can drop off 2 decimal points and my position still stands ....it's an insignificant amount of people. There is no way health issues caused by these adhesives would be common knowledge and widespread news for the minuscule subset of the hair population.

As I said, we cannot put our finger on what exactly caused a cancer...we can only prove what absolutely increases risk.

Has anyone had and erectile issue and ran to the doctor and said I wear fake hair? Of course not...

Common symptoms of Lymphoma are low grade fever and night sweats etc.... I can assure you every time someone goes to a physician with those symptoms... the doctor never asks if they wear fake hair or ask them to list all the chemicals they expose themselves to repeatedly.... and I'm confident patient's aren't just offering that information either.

Again my point has always been to be cognizant of the risks. I'm not saying everyone that touches a bottle of ultra hold is going to die of cancer from it.

But the responses I get are just mind-boggling. One gentleman said....my dermatologist examines my scalp all the time. That's like saying... not a chance I have lung cancer, I go to the ophthalmologist for exams all the time, he would have seen something..... the cigarette didn't burn my lip so it's not causing any damage..

The risks and damage from these chemicals are systemically cumulative. Unless you're having routine liver and kidney function test with specific blood work and molecular study searching for a specific concentration of chemicals in your body.... You're just fooling yourself into thinking... well I look ok on the outside.... so I must be fine on the inside....

Statistically lung cancer reveals itself approximately 15 years after beginning smoking. That doesn't mean you should feel safe if you only smoke for 5/10 years... it just means it's now at the point that it's going to kill you..... so again, people saying I've worn for 5 years or 10 years etc...that's really irrelevant and does not mean that it's safe. Quite the contrary..

More people than not are diagnosed with lung cancer a decade after they quit. The damage was done cumulatively each and every cigarette. Just like we do....each and every attachment.

Last edited:

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Toobad

Noah

Hi Noah,
So what do you make of all this? I am still committed to wearing as soon as my piece arrives, but I am also very concerned with the information TooBad is sharing. I know life is full of risks but to be honest I never gave bonding a second thought until these discussions, thinking it was all tried and tested technology. Have there been any members complaining about serious side effects that you can recall? There have been the odd complaints about allergic reactions but I haven't come across anything more serious than that myself. Yet TooBad makes some very good points. Is there a tape out there that is considered more user friendly that you are aware of? I can't imagine applying 3-4 coats of liquid adhesive around the perimeter of my head that will be covered by the PU rim.
Leduc

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Noah,
So what do you make of all this? I am still committed to wearing as soon as my piece arrives, but I am also very concerned with the information TooBad is sharing. I know life is full of risks but to be honest I never gave bonding a second thought until these discussions, thinking it was all tried and tested technology. Have there been any members complaining about serious side effects that you can recall? There have been the odd complaints about allergic reactions but I haven't come across anything more serious than that myself. Yet TooBad makes some very good points. Is there a tape out there that is considered more user friendly that you are aware of? I can't imagine applying 3-4 coats of liquid adhesive around the perimeter of my head that will be covered by the PU rim.
Leduc

I apologize for jumping in as I know you directly asked Noah. I Just wanted to say... don't lose sleep over this. It's just like the millions of people that know there's a risk with smoking cigarettes and choose to roll the dice and smoke.. I would never berate or attack people for choosing to use acrylic adhesives. My whole thing was just to say: know that there is a risk and make an informed decision for yourself. :)

Last edited:

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I apologize for jumping in as I know you directly asked Noah. I Just wanted to say... don't lose sleep over this. It's just like the millions of people that know there's a risk with smoking cigarettes and choose to roll the dice and smoke.. I would never berate or attack people for choosing to use acrylic adhesives. My whole thing was just to say: know that there is a risk and make an informed decision for yourself. :)

No problem TooBad, I appreciate you responding. I was only trying to find out from Noah if he's ever heard from any members who were having or heard of any issues, Noah has been a member since 2007. I did find a disturbing article from the U.K. about hair extension/system bonding but I am not sure how to attach the link. I'll keep trying, but in the meantime here is a portion. I have no idea of its accuracy.

y.PNG

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
No problem TooBad, I appreciate you responding. I was only trying to find out from Noah if he's ever heard from any members who were having or heard of any issues, Noah has been a member since 2007. I did find a disturbing article from the U.K. about hair extension/system bonding but I am not sure how to attach the link. I'll keep trying, but in the meantime here is a portion. I have no idea of its accuracy.

View attachment 132356

Anaphylactic shock and toxicity are not a very big concern in my opinion. That's like a peanut allergy, you'll know right away and can seek treatment. What I've been trying to stress is the long-term systemic damage with regard to cancer and that its a concern to be cognizant of.

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

No problem TooBad, I appreciate you responding. I was only trying to find out from Noah if he's ever heard from any members who were having or heard of any issues, Noah has been a member since 2007. I did find a disturbing article from the U.K. about hair e bonding but I am not sure of how to attach the link. I'll keep trying, but in the meantime here is a portion. I have no idea of its accuracy.

View attachment 132356

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anaphylactic shock and toxicity are not a very big concern in my opinion. That's like a peanut allergy, you'll know right away and can seek treatment. What I've been trying to stress is the long-term systemic damage with regard to cancer and that its a concern to be cognizant of.

Point well taken, thanks TooBad. I am still looking for a latex free tape, just for peace of mind.
Reading further into this article, I have my doubts about its validity. With the numbers that are being thrown around surely this would have reached the mainstream.

z.PNG

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Point well taken, thanks TooBad. I am still looking for a latex free tape, just for peace of mind.
Reading further into this article, I have my doubts about its validity. With the numbers that are being thrown around surely this would have reached the mainstream.

View attachment 132360

View attachment 132360
I've actually read that medical study and it is accurate and correct. But again that is not going to happen to everybody. The reason you're even reading it is because it was such an uncommon occurrence that it did make the news.

I still feel people are focusing on the wrong things such as allergy and toxicity which just means poison. There is no harm from latex unless you have a specific allergy to it. An allergy or a q reaction as much like burning your lip with a cigarette. You learn from it and stop doing it no harm no foul. I'm talking about the internal damage does smoking causes.

There's a surprisingly High number of people that's fall asleep with a cigarette and I because they burn their house down with themselves in it. I would never sit and argue that you shouldn't smoke because of that risk. That is certainly not as common as say COPD would be with regard to smoking. Just like anaphylaxis and dying from sweating with adhesive on your head is just as exceedingly uncommon.

The focus should be on cancer. Allergic reaction can be treated with epinephrine and histamine blockers. And ceasing to use the offending product.

Once you have an allergic reaction you know you're allergic to it and cease to use it therefore it's no longer a threat. Long-term systemic cancer risks are where the concern should be.

Again many millions of people smoke and many of them never get cancer. However there is a exceedingly high amount that are not lucky, get cancer and died from smoking.

Same thing goes for being promiscuous and sleeping around with undesirable people unprotected.

There's a great deal of people that get lucky and never catch a deadly disease. However in the United States even with all the education, preventative measures, and medications 50,000 people a year still contract HIV. That's not a number to ignore.

It's much easier to protect yourself when you know there's risk.

No matter what I say, Noah says or anybody says we all agree it's a roll of the dice.. Their position is they feel the dice are going to land in your favor... my position is half the time it's going to go against you. So why even risk it.

50/50 is same Chance with Russian Roulette.
I don't think any of us would play Russian roulette with a loaded gun.

Last edited:

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've actually read that medical study and it is accurate and correct. But again that is not going to happen to everybody. The reason you're even reading it is because it was such an uncommon occurrence that it did make the news.

I still feel people are focusing on the wrong things such as allergy and toxicity which just means poison. There is no harm from latex unless you have a specific allergy to it. An allergy or a q reaction as much like burning your lip with a cigarette. You learn from it and stop doing it no harm no foul. I'm talking about the internal damage does smoking causes.

There's a surprisingly High number of people that's fall asleep with a cigarette and I because they burn their house down with themselves in it. I would never sit and argue that you shouldn't smoke because of that risk. That is certainly not as common as say COPD would be with regard to smoking. Just like anaphylaxis and dying from sweating with adhesive on your head is just as exceedingly uncommon.

The focus should be on cancer. Allergic reaction can be treated with epinephrine and histamine blockers. And ceasing to use the offending product.

Once you have an allergic reaction you know you're allergic to it and cease to use it therefore it's no longer a threat. Long-term systemic cancer risks are where the concern should be.

Again many millions of people smoke and many of them never get cancer. However there is a exceedingly high amount that are not lucky, get cancer and died from smoking.

Same thing goes for being promiscuous and sleeping around with undesirable people unprotected.

There's a great deal of people that get lucky and never catch a deadly disease. However in the United States even with all the education, preventative measures, and medications 50,000 people a year still contract HIV. That's not a number to ignore.

No matter what I say, Noah says or anybody says we all agree it's a roll of the dice.. Their position is they feel the dice are going to land in your favor... my position is half the time it's going to go against you. So why even risk it.

Thanks again, your comments are greatly appreciated. I want to go into this with both eyes open, it is a steep learning curve.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are all tapes acrylic-based?

Because I'm beginning to think I'm allergic to all of them!

I use a ton of scalp protector but it's still rather difficult to wear beyond a day for me - owing to irritation.

I really don't want to have to switch to glue...

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are all tapes acrylic-based?

Because I'm beginning to think I'm allergic to all of them!

I use a ton of scalp protector but it's still rather difficult to wear beyond a day for me - owing to irritation.

I really don't want to have to switch to glue...
Yes

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks again, your comments are greatly appreciated. I want to go into this with both eyes open, it is a steep learning curve.

Just came across this statement on the Walker tape company website.

As I had suspected, it appears that acrylic Tape is safer than acrylic liquid Bond. This is because much of the harmful chemicals have flashed off/evaporated in the manufacturing drying process.

Burned off refers to their heating/drying process.

When we apply liquid to our scalp, as it is attempting to flash off... it is still being absorbed by our skin at the same time.... with our skin being able to absorb more than half of the concentration in less than 30 seconds it's a fair assumption that most of it makes its way into our bloodstream before it flashes/evaporates off fully.

It also clearly shows they're stating that there are hazardous elements/chemicals in acrylic adhesives.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191117-214102_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191117-214102_Chrome.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_20191117-214110_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191117-214110_Chrome.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score

One thing I will say is I know a lot of black women who wear lace front wigs, and not one uses tape. It's Ghostbond, Bold Hold or Got2B.

I live next to the hood, and in only one beauty supply - & there are MANY - have I seen tape being sold. That's where I appropriate my LaceFX. The store also pushes another tape by an obscure brand I haven't tried.

Since I've begun wearing, I've been watching tons of YouTube videos on the topic; ethnic women, as far as I'm concerned, put out the most comprehensive videos. I've learned how to pluck my pieces, incorporate baby hairs in, etc.

Very few of these women on YouTube use tape.

But the vast majority have acrylic/gel nails, false eyelashes & wear all sorts of makeup, so I'm sure they're getting a good dose of toxicity!

@TooBad If you feel the chances are 50/50, why don't you just do full-bond with Ghostbond and live without fear?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I would also warn against Got2b, because the fact that it's not a glue which falsely makes it look easier actually makes it contain so much more chemicals and have a complex list of different ingredients. Glues are simple things -- they contain of two things mostly. Hair gels are something totally different and you shouldn't usem the like this.

Plus the fact that you always de-re -- you are in contact with fresh new chemicals every day. The more you de-re the more toxic any adhesive will be actually -- it's still fresh and hasn't solidified -- still has the solvent component in it, maybe some monomers of the polymer due to shitty production, the preservatives. These will all absorb or evaporate after curing and no more toxicity for as long as you de-re again. Ghostbonds are so strong you may only need to de-re once a month -- another argument that makes them least toxic.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
One thing I will say is I know a lot of black women who wear lace front wigs, and not one uses tape. It's Ghostbond, Bold Hold or Got2B.

I live next to the hood, and in only one beauty supply - & there are MANY - have I seen tape being sold. That's where I appropriate my LaceFX. The store also pushes another tape by an obscure brand I haven't tried.

Since I've begun wearing, I've been watching tons of YouTube videos on the topic; ethnic women, as far as I'm concerned, put out the most comprehensive videos. I've learned how to pluck my pieces, incorporate baby hairs in, etc.

Very few of these women on YouTube use tape.

But the vast majority have acrylic/gel nails, false eyelashes & wear all sorts of makeup, so I'm sure they're getting a good dose of toxicity!

@TooBad If you feel the chances are 50/50, why don't you just do full-bond with Ghostbond and live without fear?
I may give that a try, but it does not work well for my body chemistry.

And you have to remember, black women do not attach the whole thing, nor to a bald head...just the hairline they wear a stocking on top of their natural hair. This is why you don't see them using tape. Tape is the worst thing for an exposed hairline.

Also, I'm not living in fear.... I'm just trying to inform, so no one is living without accurate knowledge... naively.

Last edited:

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just came across this statement on the Walker tape company website.

As I had suspected, it appears that acrylic Tape is safer than acrylic liquid Bond. This is because much of the harmful chemicals have flashed off/evaporated in the manufacturing drying process.

Burned off refers to their heating/drying process.

When we apply liquid to our scalp, as it is attempting to flash off... it is still being absorbed by our skin at the same time.... with our skin being able to absorb more than half of the concentration in less than 30 seconds it's a fair assumption that most of it makes its way into our bloodstream before it flashes/evaporates off fully.

It also clearly shows they're stating that there are hazardous elements/chemicals in acrylic adhesives.....
So you think the acrylic tapes are as safe as ghost bond? Also what is the difference between acrylic bonds and the Acrylates Copolymer that is found in ghost bond?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
So you think the acrylic tapes are as safe as ghost bond? Also what is the difference between acrylic bonds and the Acrylates Copolymer that is found in ghost bond?
I would say they probably sit between ghost Bond and liquid acrylic adhesive.

This is where I believe not understanding the definition of words/terms leads to misinformation and poor decision.

The only difference between polymer and copolymer is copolymer has an additional substance mixed in that is not the same/ or similarly bonded molecules as the original "polymer".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191118-134004_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191118-134004_Chrome.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 116